USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter), complications post op surgery
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition
Sherry, WelfareQueen,, and family with Sherry's mom in Hospice.

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

The world lumberjack championships grand finale is tomorrow. Don't miss it.
View attachment 207296
th
theres-a-lot-more-to-the-lumberjack-world-championships-than-just-chopping-wood.jpg
Lumberjack-World-Championships.jpg

Foxy, we can be removed from the vigil list. My mom passed away yesterday. Thanks to those who kept us in your prayers.
You're still in our prayers.

I usually drink my coffee black and no sugar but lately been getting lattes and I like the froth :lol:

I started using cream in my coffee some years ago when I was having a terrible time with GERD. Giving up coffee altogether was not an option, and I was trying to find a different solution. The cream (or half & half or just plain milk) worked--it cut the acid in the coffee sufficiently that I could drink at least a reasonable amount of it without any bad effects. (2 to 6 cups is reasonable for me.)

The GERD is now under control and black coffee is no longer a problem, but I have come to prefer it with cream. And a few drops of Stevia to slightly sweeten it. Nour Better Stevia now puts out an English Toffee flavor that I just love. The perfect morning treat for me. Just a few drops does it so a 2 oz bottle of it lasts forever.
What is the point of putting eggshells in with the coffee grounds? I've heard of it, but never tasted a cup augmented with eggshells.
It cuts the bitterness.

As I sit here drinking a tepid cup of instant coffee...

... all due to my own clumsiness. I was drying the carafe for my drip coffee maker and was careless and dropped it so, no fresh ground beans and good coffee for a couple days. First I tried to find a replacement carafe, but couldn't find one that I was sure would work, so to skip ordering the wrong one and the hassle of returning it, I researched "top ten coffee makers" and what not and did some reading, read reviews, etc, and settled on this little butte...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EI7DPPI/?tag=ff0d01-20

It actually gets about as good if not better reviews than any other coffee maker on Amazon, and the choice of either brewing myself one cup or a whole pot I think is a great idea. Tracking says it's "out for delivery," so after today, no more instant coffee for me... unless I drop another carafe.

Yeah we aren't Keurig people or French press people or espresso people--I do appreciate a good espresso though--and when it is just Hombre and me here we make pretty darn good coffee in our el cheapo Mr. Coffee maker. We replace it every two or three years as it will become decrepit and less efficient with regular use. We do use the removable, washable 'filter' and replace the little round disposable filters that cover that ever now and then.

When we have coffee drinking house guests though, we get out the old-fashioned 30-cup electric percolator and it really makes great coffee.
Yup! One of my favorite coffee makers:
View attachment 207264
Supposedly percolating coffee is one of the worst ways to prepare it. :dunno:
I like to just dump the grounds into the pot, bring it to a boil, simmer to taste, add a teaspoon of cold water (the colder, the better), serve with cream and honey, or sugar, to taste. Or just drink it the manly way, black.
The old fashioned way.
The best way. My partner whines about the grounds, though. I tell him it's not all that great to the last cup. Pot will last for days on the wood stove, though.

View attachment 207399

I have this family photo taken about thirty five years ago. That's me top left beside my brother. Pop and Mom in the foreground.

Now, take a good look at Pop and tell me if he doesn't remind you of Mike Pompeo!

They definitely could be twin brothers. That is amazing. (You really do look like I think I would have envisioned you if I hadn't seen your photo before, Nosmo.)
Mike Pompeo:
th

View attachment 207399

I have this family photo taken about thirty five years ago. That's me top left beside my brother. Pop and Mom in the foreground.

Now, take a good look at Pop and tell me if he doesn't remind you of Mike Pompeo!

They definitely could be twin brothers. That is amazing. (You really do look like I think I would have envisioned you if I hadn't seen your photo before, Nosmo.)
Mike Pompeo:
th
That family photo was taken during the Carter administration. Nobody goes thirty five years without changing.

Field Coffee was using GW's basic recipe...

afca4a336db9be5a9391ca0e88a5dd07.jpg
On a much larger scale. Best suited for guests?
During the Civil War soldiers in the field would simply use their 'mucket' to heat the water & their rifle butts to crush the coffee beans then just toss the crushed beans in the boiling water. On the Confederate side they quickly ran out of coffee and used anything they could including crushed acorns to make a pseudo coffee. During (mostly) winter encampments both sides would trade with the other, the Confederates for coffee, the Feds for tobacco.
A mucket (too large to be a mug and too small to be a bucket) is a tin cup, holds 48 ounces, typically had a bail and a tin cap (in the North). They were the Civil War soldiers version of the WWII steel pot except they weren't used for head protection.

MucketSS_SM.jpg

Basic version without the lid and bail.

0763d715098f29dcee1e14ed311b320a.jpg

I've always found the idea of opposing armies interacting like that crazy. The Christmas in the trenches of WWI is the example that comes to mind for me of opposing troops interacting in an almost friendly way. It's fascinating and, to me, perhaps the best indication of the insanity of war. To do your best to kill someone, then take a break and exchange gifts.... :blowup:

I've always found the idea of opposing armies interacting like that crazy. The Christmas in the trenches of WWI is the example that comes to mind for me of opposing troops interacting in an almost friendly way. It's fascinating and, to me, perhaps the best indication of the insanity of war. To do your best to kill someone, then take a break and exchange gifts.... :blowup:
Basic humanity is stronger than politics. Thank God!

People are people, even soldiers. During the CW (like in all wars) there were acts of absolute brutality and acts of extreme kindness.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter), complications post op surgery
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition
Sherry and family in the passing of her mother..

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

37342730_2232529196788004_3167467462300008448_n.jpg

Ha, Ha, I have just started watching the DVD boxed set of 'the young ones' Which is an anarchic situation comedy from the 1980's . Its available on amazon and I recommend it.

We had a brief shower of rain today in most of England, and the last brief shower was two weeks ago, and before that it had not rained since May. Its to late to save the crops as those that could not be watered have died.

I have decided to fill a cupboard with tinned food, because although there is no talk of running out of food yet, I am sure we are going to, and then there will be panic buying, and no food in the shops.

We had a brief shower of rain today in most of England, and the last brief shower was two weeks ago, and before that it had not rained since May. Its to late to save the crops as those that could not be watered have died.

I have decided to fill a cupboard with tinned food, because although there is no talk of running out of food yet, I am sure we are going to, and then there will be panic buying, and no food in the shops.

While I am pretty sure your civic and national leaders will make sure you have food available, it never helps to prepare for contigencies.

Such interactions emphasize the fact that we are all human. Your enemy is not an evil man in his own eyes, not any more than you are evil. The guy you are trying desperately to kill, before he kills you, could be your neighbor, you greengrocer, your barber given other circumstances. When boiled down to the rawest basics, men don't fight for god, country, or some other vague concept. They fight for the guy next to them.

Crap! I had the solar systems guy out yesterday. He brought two lovely, sealed cell, 6V solar batteries and the proper cables. My hope was that he could install the system without the partner's knowledge and I could present a "fate accompli". Guy took one look at the rig the partner's put together and said he'd rather not mess with it without knowing what the hell was going on. This will be interesting. At least there is no well yet.

IMG_0292.JPG
In the interest of full disclosure, allow me to show you my sainted, fabled Uncle Ducky. What nest describes this image? Mischievous? Prankster? Happy-of-Lucky Ducky? After all I've told you about him, I thought it only fair to put a face to the legend.

While I am pretty sure your civic and national leaders will make sure you have food available, it never helps to prepare for contigencies.

I am convinced we are going to suffer food shortages. Not only from failed crops but from failure to reach a trade agreement with the EU. In any case Europe is as dryed up as Britain.

Ha, Ha, I have just started watching the DVD boxed set of 'the young ones' Which is an anarchic situation comedy from the 1980's . Its available on amazon and I recommend it.

I have now watched a third of the DVD set of ' the young ones' and it is more outrageous than I remember it. They could not get away with making it now as there would be lots of complaints. For example one of the characters goes up to a man in the street and calls him a ****** and a black bastard. Then he takes off his sunglasses and says. " Oh sorry, I didn't realize your were white"

The whole show is completely insane and I find it funny.

Forum List

Back