USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well I finished up the electrical job for my electrician buddy with the broken back today. Had a problem yesterday when I heated it all up. Some things weren't working. Was too hot and worn out and the property owner was yapping in my ear to figure it out yesterday. Had to call it a day and talk to my buddy. Not a complicated wiring problem in the three gang switch box, he had two wires in the wrong place, got it sorted out with my VOM and everything is fine. 7 hours @ $60 an hour, I'm happy and paid up. Have one more small job to do for him too. I love the extra money. He could keep the small jobs coming far as I'm concerned, until he's back on his feet. I'll just take over his business for a bit.

I love the extra money.

extra money is good...
I'm also thinking of getting back on the welder. I have an excess of metal, and think I could sell metal art. I have to test the waters. I found this skull made out of nuts and bolts on pinterest, and I know I could make that, with my own twist on it of course. I should get started. Try and sell it on both etsy and ebay. Have no idea what to charge, but anything would be profit.

I love the extra money.

extra money is good...
I'm also thinking of getting back on the welder. I have an excess of metal, and think I could sell metal art. I have to test the waters. I found this skull made out of nuts and bolts on pinterest, and I know I could make that, with my own twist on it of course. I should get started. Try and sell it on both etsy and ebay. Have no idea what to charge, but anything would be profit.
Man do I have respect for talented welders. Welding is a skill, like handwriting. When it's really well done, it's a thing of beauty. But when it's half assed, it can make you wonder why they even made the effort.

I had a project in deepest darkest Florida. Imokolee Dlorida. It's a wide spot in the road on the western edge of the Everglades. The town is like the fabled Brigadoon. It only came to life when the onions or tomatoes or the lettuce was harvested.

The city fathers there decreed a new municipal water tank be built. I was working with an engineering firm in Sarasota and the inspection on the tank was my project. The welders were true masters of the craft. Their beads we're amazingly consistent.

Wish I could say the same for the pipe fitters. They set the project back two months after failing 65% of their welds.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I love the extra money.

extra money is good...
Man do I have respect for talented welders. Welding is a skill, like handwriting. When it's really well done, it's a thing of beauty. But when it's half assed, it can make you wonder why they even made the effort.

I had a project in deepest darkest Florida. Imokolee Dlorida. It's a wide spot in the road on the western edge of the Everglades. The town is like the fabled Brigadoon. It only came to life when the onions or tomatoes or the lettuce was harvested.

The city fathers there decreed a new municipal water tank be built. I was working with an engineering firm in Sarasota and the inspection on the tank was my project. The welders were true masters of the craft. Their beads we're amazingly consistent.

Wish I could say the same for the pipe fitters. They set the project back two months after failing 65% of their welds.
Thank you, NK... got a 'rough' start... I do love to weld... I remember a story about a crew, I think at the south pole, and it was during a period when there wasn't going to be any way to get to them, and someone came down with acute appendicitis. There wasn't a surgeon at the base but there was a welder, and since they figured he was the person that had the most skilled, steady hands, they talked him through doing surgery on the person and he saved their life.

20180802_205257.jpg

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter), complications post op surgery
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

Karen_Lamb.jpg

It's going to be a long drive with no A/C for me. :(

The new compressor and lines got put in my car, but there is a bad seal between one of the new lines and a small extension it connects to. I don't know if that's because the new line is bad, or if the extension piece is the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have time to order the extension piece and it isn't in stock anywhere.

I'll order the part and hopefully get it put in after I get back home, but the drive to and from FL is going to suck. I'm going to stop by Walmart or Target and see about buying a little portable fan at least.

If it's the new line that's the problem, I'll have to buy that after I get back. This damn car takes too much money.

Just had a fast moving boomer roll thru....half dollar size hail to South and east......going to have to watch news tonite

I love the extra money.

extra money is good...

There are two things my partner does very well: concrete work and welding. As long as you leave him undisturbed while he's doing something. Partner's not a multi-tasker, or a planner. But that bitch can weld.

The new compressor and lines got put in my car, but there is a bad seal between one of the new lines and a small extension it connects to. I don't know if that's because the new line is bad, or if the extension piece is the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have time to order the extension piece and it isn't in stock anywhere.

I'll order the part and hopefully get it put in after I get back home, but the drive to and from FL is going to suck. I'm going to stop by Walmart or Target and see about buying a little portable fan at least.

If it's the new line that's the problem, I'll have to buy that after I get back. This damn car takes too much money.

So when I was still a youngster and even as a young adult, only the very wealthy had air conditioned cars and even those were rare. So we utilized the 4/60 AC system, i.e. four windows down and 60 mph.

So when I was still a youngster and even as a young adult, only the very wealthy had air conditioned cars and even those were rare. So we utilized the 4/60 AC system, i.e. four windows down and 60 mph.
I remember those days. Being raised in the Pacific during the late 50s, early 60s we had no air conditioning but as kids it never seemed to bother us. Even later as young adults we just adapted to whatever environment we were in. Now if the A/C or heat goes out it's OMG FIX IT YESTERDAY!!!!!!! :lol:

I love the extra money.

extra money is good...
I learned to weld as part of a job I had back in the late 80s....... Hated it and never picked up a welder again.

I love the extra money.

extra money is good...
I learned to weld as part of a job I had back in the late 80s....... Hated it and never picked up a welder again.

I had a chance to weld once complete with the all the protective gear etc. I was intrigued mostly because it was just about the time the movie "Flash Dance" came out featuring Alex, a very pretty young 18-year old woman, who was a welder on what appeared to be a large manufacturing or construction site.

But after that one experience, I'll have to admit I didn't see the allure for somebody like me. But I sure appreciate those who do like to do it and do it well. Another favorite movie is "The Road to Christmas" featuring Jennifer Gray and Clark Gregg. Gregg played a Chicago teacher but former artist who welded fantastic pieces of steel art. And I sure could see how somebody would enjoy doing that if they had the eye and the skill.

I love the extra money.

extra money is good...

There are two things my partner does very well: concrete work and welding. As long as you leave him undisturbed while he's doing something. Partner's not a multi-tasker, or a planner. But that bitch can weld.
Yeah I've welded since I was 15. Learned with an old Lincoln A/C stick welder. Did production welding at two different jobs with a MIG, and then learned TIG welding when I worked at the prison. I have a couple different welders here in the shop, and a nice Smith torch. I love working with steel. Would love to have a plasma cutter but they're pricey, and I just can't justify one... yet.

Last edited:
I love the extra money.

extra money is good...

Yeah I've welded since I was 15. Learned with an old Lincoln A/C stick welder. Did production welding at two different jobs with a MIG, and then learned TIG welding when I worked at the prison. I have a couple different welders here in the shop, and a nice Smith torch. I love working with steel. Would love to have a plasma cutter but they're pricey, and I just can't justify one... yet.
We have MIG, TIG, and an oxy-acetylene set up at our place. I've used the oxy-acetylene rig but not the other two. The partner welds aircraft parts, including aluminum and magnesium. Both of those take a particularly delicate touch to do right, especially the magnesium. I'm no welder. I create using softer, biological media. As a matter of fact, I just started my first new batch of cyser (mead made with apple juice) this past weekend.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter), complications post op surgery
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

encouragement-words-quotes-07.jpg

Mid 90s and the heat pump just stopped working....... Got a hold of the landlord, he's trying to get someone out today but if not then definitely tomorrow morning. Why does this always happen on a weekend? What were we just saying about A/C......
Oh yeah, no breakers thrown and the pump is not frozen so no obvious freon leak.

Forum List

Back