USMB Coffee Shop IV

Cooler and wet up here. I'm hoping for a respite so I can get some outside work done. I'm waiting for call-backs from both the electric and the well guys.
Attila the turkey got me good this morning while I as setting up the chicken feeder. Pecked the hell out of my head when I was bent over. I'm-a gonna eat that beast if he doesn't shape up. Actually, it's funny as hell that this turkey has now taken over the yard. I'm thinking the chickens will continue to be free-range but I might have to corral this hooligan.
Wish it was cooler here. Summer just doesn't want to give up. 80's+ in WI are worse than winter. You can't do anything outside without sweating like someone turned a garden hose on ya.

Cooler and wet up here. I'm hoping for a respite so I can get some outside work done. I'm waiting for call-backs from both the electric and the well guys.
Attila the turkey got me good this morning while I as setting up the chicken feeder. Pecked the hell out of my head when I was bent over. I'm-a gonna eat that beast if he doesn't shape up. Actually, it's funny as hell that this turkey has now taken over the yard. I'm thinking the chickens will continue to be free-range but I might have to corral this hooligan.
Wish it was cooler here. Summer just doesn't want to give up. 80's+ in WI are worse than winter. You can't do anything outside without sweating like someone turned a garden hose on ya.
Sounds like NoVA.........

Had a late breakfast, took a can of roast beast hash added black pepper, onion, rubbed sage, a little ketchup and some chipotle pepper (powdered). I'll have to remember this one!! That was good.

Well it is still early August. We start hoping that summer will start giving up in September but we're usually complaining that it isn't by late September, early August. The nights do start getting cooler though so when we have the Balloon Fiesta in early October, you need a heavy coat, gloves, etc. for the early morning mass ascensions. . .then will be in shorts and tee in the afternoon.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Had a late breakfast, took a can of roast beast hash added black pepper, onion, rubbed sage, a little ketchup and some chipotle pepper (powdered). I'll have to remember this one!! That was good.

Hmmm. I'm sure it was okay, but that just doesn't seem appealing to me.

I assume Montrovant is on his Florida trip now. Wonder how that is going with his 'naturally air conditioned' car?

Hmmm. I'm sure it was okay, but that just doesn't seem appealing to me.
To each their own. :dunno:

Very true. We had homemade from scratch blueberry muffins, bacon, and fresh fruit this morning for a quick breakfast before sending our house guests on their way. Now Hombre and I are just crashing for a bit in what seems like unusual silence before we head to Corrales for our weekly 42 game--their turn to host the game.

It's like that here for us when we hit around 65. It will be cooler before we know it, though. This morning the breeze carried just the vaguest hint of Fall, just a taste.

It was one of those lovely high summer evenings here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area. The humidity we had in the morning burned off by 4:00 this afternoon. The morning fog was still rising from the valley at 10:00 this morning. It would remind some of our less fortunate friends suffering from God awful wildfires out west of smoke rising. To watch it happen is a sight to see.

But tonight was warm and clear and quite, aside from the cicadas. They are like nature's power tools as they crank up their pulsating screeches. They call them 17 year locusts, but there must be 17 different colonies awakening one summer after another. Each summer we hear them squawk until night falls and the crickets take over. It's an insect symphony.

I was inspired to write about being awakened at 4:37 am by Daisy. She just wanted to go outside and release herself. That's better than okay. I don't have to mop up when she's outside. She is, of course, hojsebroken. But I have left one of those pads used by the bedridden to help stem the breakout of bedsores. When I was at work all day, it was the sensible way to train her. But if she wants out, she'll go out.

But 4:37 am. It seemed to me to be the most fragile of times. No one should be awakened so close yet so far from a good time to rise. A time so delicate it seems to be made of spun glass and dry tears. A time that the mechanical brutality of a clock could not hold long without shattering it. The time to sleep, perchance to dream. Restorative slumber is really the delicate thing here. But when it's interrupted by the weest of the wee small hours, the experiment can splinter away like cotton candy in your mouth.

And so the time of day gave me something to write about. Ain't life grand?

I'll tell ya, I'm no huge fan of America's Got Talent, but I've been watching highlights of the show on youtube, the golden buzzers and such, and then this girl came up. I'm just blown away. She's DEAF?! It's just almost beyond imagination how this girl can sing the way she can. I just love her. Of all the talent I've watched, she stands out simply because what she's doing is so... unbelievable... it's inspirational. I hope at least someone else enjoys this amazing young woman as much as I did...

It's like that here for us when we hit around 65. It will be cooler before we know it, though. This morning the breeze carried just the vaguest hint of Fall, just a taste.
I'm NOT looking forward to winter, but Fall is my favorite time of year. When the temps fall and the God awful humidity goes away, it's the perfect time of year. It's time to really get busy doing things outside that were otherwise unbearable in the summer heat and humidity. The beauty of the season with the leaves turning color and all is just a bonus.

I think I have my prized GMC sold too. I've owned that truck longer than any other vehicle in my life, 13 years now. It's been a damn good truck but I've sunk boat loads of money into it, but I'm getting tired of wrenching on vehicles, and spending money on them. I don't know if I mentioned here or not that I bought a brand new 2017 2SS Camaro. I paid for an extended TEN YEAR warranty on it so there's no having to worry about wrenching on that. I want to buy another truck but newer. Another Silverado, has to be at least be an LT, preferably an LTZ, but we'll see. My budget is about $20K, cash. I kind of put myself in a lurch buying the Camaro but I'm an old hotrod, and I just could NOT pass up the deal I got on it. Again, don't know if I said anything about it here, but here she is... come to think of it, yeah I think I did post about the car... but, she's my baby. The more I drive it, the better I like it. I'll have this 'til I die...

20180612_173048.jpg

Finally getting a good soaking rain here. Don't know when it started last night but I hope it continues all day but I doubt it.

It was one of those lovely high summer evenings here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area. The humidity we had in the morning burned off by 4:00 this afternoon. The morning fog was still rising from the valley at 10:00 this morning. It would remind some of our less fortunate friends suffering from God awful wildfires out west of smoke rising. To watch it happen is a sight to see.

But tonight was warm and clear and quite, aside from the cicadas. They are like nature's power tools as they crank up their pulsating screeches. They call them 17 year locusts, but there must be 17 different colonies awakening one summer after another. Each summer we hear them squawk until night falls and the crickets take over. It's an insect symphony.

I was inspired to write about being awakened at 4:37 am by Daisy. She just wanted to go outside and release herself. That's better than okay. I don't have to mop up when she's outside. She is, of course, hojsebroken. But I have left one of those pads used by the bedridden to help stem the breakout of bedsores. When I was at work all day, it was the sensible way to train her. But if she wants out, she'll go out.

But 4:37 am. It seemed to me to be the most fragile of times. No one should be awakened so close yet so far from a good time to rise. A time so delicate it seems to be made of spun glass and dry tears. A time that the mechanical brutality of a clock could not hold long without shattering it. The time to sleep, perchance to dream. Restorative slumber is really the delicate thing here. But when it's interrupted by the weest of the wee small hours, the experiment can splinter away like cotton candy in your mouth.

And so the time of day gave me something to write about. Ain't life grand?

We had those once a decade or so cicadas up on the mountain. Teensy little things but so loud that if one got in the house and got cranked up it would send me jumping a foot in the air. I always wondered how a cricket could be so loud but they have nothing on the cicada that is about a fourth as big as a cricket.

Finally getting a good soaking rain here. Don't know when it started last night but I hope it continues all day but I doubt it.

We got rain last night too and could again today. Apparently the monsoon pattern shifted back across New Mexico for the next several days.

I'd be happy to send more good, soaking rain your way. It's rained so much here that lots of places are saturated and mooshy. It's not particularly good for the animals and makes working outside a PIA when you have to slog through the mess.

I'd be happy to send more good, soaking rain your way. It's rained so much here that lots of places are saturated and mooshy. It's not particularly good for the animals and makes working outside a PIA when you have to slog through the mess.
Dig trenches and pretend you're on the Western Front.........

Actually, the lay of the land here includes ready-made trenches. That's where things are getting messy. I walked out a new fence line this afternoon and will be clearing a path for the fence this weekend. I have to get my animals out of the trenches. I've been bringing the goats up top to feed them but they have to go back "home" when I go to work. I also cannot feed the fowl or dog until the goats go home because the goats will eat everything!

Actually, the lay of the land here includes ready-made trenches. That's where things are getting messy. I walked out a new fence line this afternoon and will be clearing a path for the fence this weekend. I have to get my animals out of the trenches. I've been bringing the goats up top to feed them but they have to go back "home" when I go to work. I also cannot feed the fowl or dog until the goats go home because the goats will eat everything!
No machine gun nests though........ Bummer.......

Forum List

Back