USMB Coffee Shop IV

Finally getting a good soaking rain here. Don't know when it started last night but I hope it continues all day but I doubt it.
I'd be happy to send more good, soaking rain your way. It's rained so much here that lots of places are saturated and mooshy. It's not particularly good for the animals and makes working outside a PIA when you have to slog through the mess.
Dig trenches and pretend you're on the Western Front.........
Actually, the lay of the land here includes ready-made trenches. That's where things are getting messy. I walked out a new fence line this afternoon and will be clearing a path for the fence this weekend. I have to get my animals out of the trenches. I've been bringing the goats up top to feed them but they have to go back "home" when I go to work. I also cannot feed the fowl or dog until the goats go home because the goats will eat everything!
No machine gun nests though........ Bummer.......
I do have my fields of fire defined and staked, though.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter), complications post op surgery
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

Day-2-31Days-5x7-Be-Encouraging-Quote-AnExtraordinaryDay.net_.jpg

Finally getting a good soaking rain here. Don't know when it started last night but I hope it continues all day but I doubt it.

We finally had a decent downfall of rain yesterday. It has only rained about four times since May. Well at least the woodlands got dampened down, which reduces the risk of fires. But it is too late to save the crops, which have died. Its even worse in Australia as they have a severe drought, and its the middle of winter there.
One farmer said " the only thing we can do is pray for rain". I though there is not much hope of prayer working.

I have now got about two weeks supply of tinned food, and I am working on getting a months supply. I am afraid I am going to need it when food runs out in the supermarkets.

Well I hope your fears are unfounded Dajjal but it never hurts to have a backup against all contingencies. I never really analyzed it but I'm pretty sure we could probably survive a month or so with the food in the house/freezer/pantry at this time.

I did run across this article on a website claiming to be "The Telegraph" though :) but that was back in June:

Britain is facing the prospect of a shortage of meat and other food supplies amid calls for ministers to intervene in the growing crisis sparked by the shortage of carbon dioxide.

Supermarkets warned customers that some products were already unavailable, with shelves expected to be empty of certain foods within days.

CO2 is used for carbonating soft drinks, packaging a wide range of products including meat and bakery items and in the slaughter process of pigs and chickens.

The unprecedented shortage - caused by the unexpected shutdown of several factories - has been exacerbated by hot June weather and the England football team's success in the World Cup.​
\
Britain facing shortage of meat and other foods amid CO2 crisis

And I don't recall you mentioning that the grocery stores were out of food in June. :)

Seriously I don't intend to make light of your concerns and I am sure the crop failure will result in some shortages and perhaps some higher prices there. But I am confident your government won't let anybody starve because of it. It really is a world wide market these days. And there will be nations with food surpluses most happy to sell it to you Brits. Or again, order what you need from Amazon.

We finally had a decent downfall of rain yesterday. It has only rained about four times since May. Well at least the woodlands got dampened down, which reduces the risk of fires. But it is too late to save the crops, which have died. Its even worse in Australia as they have a severe drought, and its the middle of winter there.
One farmer said " the only thing we can do is pray for rain". I though there is not much hope of prayer working.

I have now got about two weeks supply of tinned food, and I am working on getting a months supply. I am afraid I am going to need it when food runs out in the supermarkets.
I know I must have at least a few months of non perishable food stored, bags of rice, beans, cans of spam, other cans of things, and 4 big containers of WISE emergency food that's good for 25 years. That and there's plenty of game food around here, large and small, and fish in the many lakes, rivers and streams. I may never need it but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

With the caveat that I really do love you guys--the male and female and whatever is in between--it never hurts to put a gentle reminder out there now and then:
38904783_2169891190002657_8651778165397520384_n.jpg

Hey Save, you haven't checked in for awhile. How is everything going? How is Harper doing?

Well, being an optimist, its a bit hard to say, but I wish I had a better grasp of my job. So much to know and I have been out of school a long while. Also, my youngest was dropped by her boyfriend that most of us, including his family, thought was a marriage-to-be. Then there's Miss Harper who has a repeat surgery on the 21st of the month.

So the optimist is going to say I will be a great postal clerk before long, the break up will be a reconciliation and Harper will be more easily understood very soon.

Hey Save, you haven't checked in for awhile. How is everything going? How is Harper doing?

Well, being an optimist, its a bit hard to say, but I wish I had a better grasp of my job. So much to know and I have been out of school a long while. Also, my youngest was dropped by her boyfriend that most of us, including his family, thought was a marriage-to-be. Then there's Miss Harper who has a repeat surgery on the 21st of the month.

So the optimist is going to say I will be a great postal clerk before long, the break up will be a reconciliation and Harper will be more easily understood very soon.

Are you enjoying the job despite the frustration at not being an expert at it yet? I have always maintained expertise at any job of any complexity generally takes a minimum of three to five years of experience and it is important to keep learning even after that.

And we will hope the best for your daughter. And I think I can speak for us all that we will ramp up the prayers and those positive vibes that Harper's surgery and outcome will be trouble free and a success this time. I think being positive and an optimist in all this is a large advantage in these things.

After it rained yesterday we left the house open. Even though it was humid the temp remained around 70 degrees. This morning I was sitting at the table next to the open back sliding door with a breeze blowing right on my right side....... It was 70 degrees and I eventually had to move, or put a jacket on........ :lol:

After it rained yesterday we left the house open. Even though it was humid the temp remained around 70 degrees. This morning I was sitting at the table next to the open back sliding door with a breeze blowing right on my right side....... It was 70 degrees and I eventually had to move, or put a jacket on........ :lol:

I can relate. :)

It is just before 10 a.m. here and is 65 degrees out there and I have been running the small desk heater on my desk a bit to knock the chill off. :)

Going up to the mid 80's today which is normally mid to late September weather. It won't last but I'll sure enjoy it while it does.

About a week and a half ago I bought certain ingredients for a dish I love but the wife hates.
So today I finally got around to making it before the individual ingredients started spoiling.
Sauteed an onion in olive oil and garlic, added a cut up head of cabbage then diced up and added a large summer sausage (with cheddar cheese and jalapenos). That should make me around 5 meals, obviously I'll have to freeze it, not going to eat it all in one sitting.

d1a667f8f609dbfe60fbf17d26c01c6f.jpg

Slow Cooker Jambalaya...

For you traditionalist, I know, I know, I know it doesn't have any rice in it and Jambalaya is supposed to have rice in it... I make a separate pot of sticky white rice for those who want rice... I would like to say I concocted this recipe on my own, but I didn't... Wish I could say it was passed down from generation to generation, it wasn't... Lets just admit we have the worlds largest cookbook right in front of us and most of our delectable goodies come from cyber space... I do have some recipes from my mothers little red index card box that I don't even try... To intimidating as my mother was a really, really good cook...

Slow Cooker Jambalaya | The Recipe Critic

Slow-Cooker-Jambalaya-2.jpg

Slow-Cooker-Jambalaya.jpg

I assume Montrovant is on his Florida trip now. Wonder how that is going with his 'naturally air conditioned' car?

It was hot. :p

I bought a battery-powered fan, but it ended up useless. I got a tan on one arm. At least my car didn't break down going there or coming back. :lol:

Oh, on the way down I went through a mini-monsoon. The rain was coming down hard enough that I could barely see with the wipers going full blast. A car in front of me actually stopped in the middle lane of the interstate because of it. It only took about 5 minutes to get past it, though. Florida, pfft. ;)

I assume Montrovant is on his Florida trip now. Wonder how that is going with his 'naturally air conditioned' car?

It was hot. :p

I bought a battery-powered fan, but it ended up useless. I got a tan on one arm. At least my car didn't break down going there or coming back. :lol:

Oh, on the way down I went through a mini-monsoon. The rain was coming down hard enough that I could barely see with the wipers going full blast. A car in front of me actually stopped in the middle lane of the interstate because of it. It only took about 5 minutes to get past it, though. Florida, pfft. ;)

Well we missed you Montro and glad you made it safe and sound with the worst thing to contend with being weather.

Forum List

Back