USMB Coffee Shop IV

Happy helloween to all :))

Because I'm programmer, I always remember at this days programmer's joke about 31 Oct is the same as 25 Dec :)

Must be an inside joke. From what I've read Christmas is celebrated in a smaller and more private way in Russia than the big HUGE deal it is in America. And isn't it celebrated I am thinking January 7 on the Julian calendar?

But I'm wondering. Do the Russians observe Halloween?

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Gracie
Hombre's sister
Mrs. Ringel and Ringel and impending diagnosis
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

Autumn in Moscow, Russia
russia-moscow-st-basil-cathedral-FALLCOLORS0917.jpg

Roxie - Please take me off the Vigil List. Everything is good with me and my kidney problems are very stable. Thanks.

Today is Halloween. I will be hiding under the bed until tomorrow. Ain’t no goblin gonna get me. Goblins hardly ever look under the bed!

Today is Halloween. I will be hiding under the bed until tomorrow. Ain’t no goblin gonna get me. Goblins hardly ever look under the bed!
Are ya sure?

Goblins-with-Glowing-Red-Eyes-labyrinth-9029050-1920-1080.jpg

Our local newspaper in Kansas once ran a straw poll of everybody's explanation of what happens to that missing sock? The favorite answer was that the dust bunnies under the bed eat them.

Oh, way cool!!! I'm watching some old TV show called "Blacksheep". Not only are they flying F4U aircraft, they also have a Grumman Duck! Amazing, all the ways people have invented to get airborne.
I watch that every once and awhile. Seems like more and more channels on the cable are popping up that run old shows. Could it be because so much of the new shows suck so bad? Best part about "Blacksheep" is the hot nurses in those flight suits... :113:
I have no doubt that the burgeoning popularity of older TV shows is a direct result of how badly newer shows suck. And those channels aren't just cable either. I only receive non-cable shows, local stations and such, and many of them run shows that you can actually enjoy for their entertainment value and not whether they support your political religion. There's another channel out here that runs all the different versions of "Star Trek" all evening.

Just returned from my labs followup (and a quick trip to Wally World). I'm the one who smokes, used to drink like a fish, ate the most unhealthy foods I could find and did lots of drugs when I was much younger and I'm healthy as a horse as the saying goes........

It's Halloween at last. And a more dreary, rainy day could not have been ordered from Amazon. Chilly and wet, if there are any trick-or-treaters prowling the streets of East Liverpool tonight, they will be bound up in jackets and umbrellas. Had I known this would be our situation, I would not have bought that extra bag of candy. Their loss will be my gain. I think I'll give out the leftovers at Movie Night next week.

I drove Mom up to North Lima, Ohio for her check up at her Dermotologist this afternoon. Then side trips to White House Fruit Farm to buy apples, beets and the last of the local tomatoes. Then a swing through Salem so she could check out the assisted care facility her friend is moving into tomorrow. Meanwhile, Daisy the Mutt reclined on the love seat in the living room all day, too damp to go for a walk.

My stitches came out Monday and my doctor assured me that, while I'll never play the violin again, all is well with my errant left hand. I'm not worried because I never played a violin in my life.

Tonight is the anniversary of the greatest prank my sainted uncles ever pulled. They bragged on it at every opportunity to impress me for years. First, you should know that, while I am in Ohio, our local topography is not what you think about when you imagine Ohio. The billiard table flat parts of Ohio dominates the northwest and the Lake Erie shores. But here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area (where Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia share a common state line) the lay of the land is uniquely hilly. Steep ravines drain snow melt and rain water into the upper stretches of the Ohio River. From the surface of that river to the crests of the surrounding hills, you would raise up some 900 feet.

Two main streets, St.Clair Avenue and Lisbon Street descend the hills in rapid succession. Back in the days of my uncle's youth, streetcars plied those roads to service the citizens who lived on and atop the hills.

The temptation for my uncle's was too great. They 'borrowed a grease gun from Jim Chadwick's service station and applied a thick coat of axel grease to the last fifty feet of streetcar track at the bottom of the Lisbon Street hill. My uncles, the role models of my boyhood, the pride of the family, hid in the bushes along side the street and giggled thems lives into urine stained trousers as car after car hit those greasy tracks and slid uncontrolled into the intersection of Lisbon and West Eighth streets.

Not being criminal masterminds, they were quickly apprehended and dragged down to City Hall on West Sixth. They were lead by the earlobe before the sitting magistrate. That magistrate turned out to be the city Safety Service director, essentially the head of the police and fire departments.

The Safety Service director, as it turned out, was my Great Grandfather, pater familias and father of my sainted, however goofy, uncles. The constitution prohibits corporal punishment. It further provides the ideal of innocence prior to being proven guilty. But in that particular household, the constitution provided no succor to boys with axel grease on their trousers.

They were merely providing the 'trick' part of trick-or-treat. Great Grandpa merely provided heat to the seats of their pants on a chilly Halloween night. He put the "boo" in boo-hoo.

Happy Halloween, and everybody!

Last edited:
Just returned from my labs followup (and a quick trip to Wally World). I'm the one who smokes, used to drink like a fish, ate the most unhealthy foods I could find and did lots of drugs when I was much younger and I'm healthy as a horse as the saying goes........

I shall look elsewhere for my glue making project.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Gracie
Hombre's sister
Mrs. Ringel and Ringel and impending diagnosis
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

Autumn in Paradise CA
5b81d60780d4b12561ad5ad9.jpg

Oh, way cool!!! I'm watching some old TV show called "Blacksheep". Not only are they flying F4U aircraft, they also have a Grumman Duck! Amazing, all the ways people have invented to get airborne.

Would that be the old "Black Sheep Squadron" series? I used to love that. Hadn't thought about it in decades.
Yup!

I used to like watching Baa Baa Black Sheep but found the dogfight scenes frustrating. The old T-6s they modified to be the "Zeros" could barely tickle 200 knots in a screaming dive. Same as the camera planes filming. The Corsairs we hanging on their props trying to fly that slow and thus appeared so sluggish.
I see it from a different perspective since I've been an aircraft mechanic,though.

Feeling a bit like how Manonthestreet is feeling. Been that way awhile now but it all came to a head yesterday. I miss my dogs. I miss my life and what it used to be. I miss my stuff I had to sell. I miss it all. Who woulda thunk that could happen to me, who had everything planned and set for old age nice and comfy? I thought wrong thinking I was set and all would be well. And it still hasn't ended, nor will end anytime soon I guess. So..I stay either grumpy or numb or both. But at least I lanced some of the depression yesterday in the fur of housemates golden retriever, Casey. He was very obliging getting all wet from tears. :)
One of our nearby towns has a registered homeopathic expert (I don't know what they're called, but he's good) and advised me to take an amino acid called tryptophan after my husband passed and I was feeling a little low. I really don't know much, except that at least I could get up and do things. Since it's a supplement, I take it with my vitamins, and it's just nice, makes your outlook a little more settled. It's not a cure for mourning or unhappiness, but somehow, when I started taking it, my mind would select the happy times and memories, not doubts or disappointments. I have no idea, Gracie, but sometimes if I go for 3 or 4 days, I'm not immune to feeling down, so I restart, and within a couple of hours, I'm back in the world of the busy living, even if it's only sticking with a quilt till it's done, and actually enjoying being by myself rather than wishing for company too much. I'm just sharing, and hoping you find a way to look on the sunny side and realize, that although I missed 4 years being here, I remember you being one of the sunniest posters here most of the time, but I didn't know if you appreciated how the boards are a little brighter when you're around, although I could surely say the same about Foxy. You make being here a little more fun, that's all, and I'd like to see you appreciating yourself for knowing that. :huddle:

Tryptophan is indeed beneficial, not as a cure all for anything, but for most people it does help with attitude adjustment/mild depression. I am rarely depressed, but in the rare occasions when I am unusually stressed and as a result suffer reactive depression, it does help to cope and deal with things more positively.
Some folks up here use it late winter to help fight cabin fever.

I'm still a tad gobsmacked reading it. People are nice to me here, yes. But nobody has ever said what she said. It was more personal. And boy did I need to hear it. However, I find myself still a smidge grumpy, lol.

Well your ungrumpified self is pretty nice to have around. And since we all have our grumpy days--it is simply a fact of life--we're happy to see you through yours too. :)
Heck, I even like the grumpy Gracie.

Feeling a bit like how Manonthestreet is feeling. Been that way awhile now but it all came to a head yesterday. I miss my dogs. I miss my life and what it used to be. I miss my stuff I had to sell. I miss it all. Who woulda thunk that could happen to me, who had everything planned and set for old age nice and comfy? I thought wrong thinking I was set and all would be well. And it still hasn't ended, nor will end anytime soon I guess. So..I stay either grumpy or numb or both. But at least I lanced some of the depression yesterday in the fur of housemates golden retriever, Casey. He was very obliging getting all wet from tears. :)
One of our nearby towns has a registered homeopathic expert (I don't know what they're called, but he's good) and advised me to take an amino acid called tryptophan after my husband passed and I was feeling a little low. I really don't know much, except that at least I could get up and do things. Since it's a supplement, I take it with my vitamins, and it's just nice, makes your outlook a little more settled. It's not a cure for mourning or unhappiness, but somehow, when I started taking it, my mind would select the happy times and memories, not doubts or disappointments. I have no idea, Gracie, but sometimes if I go for 3 or 4 days, I'm not immune to feeling down, so I restart, and within a couple of hours, I'm back in the world of the busy living, even if it's only sticking with a quilt till it's done, and actually enjoying being by myself rather than wishing for company too much. I'm just sharing, and hoping you find a way to look on the sunny side and realize, that although I missed 4 years being here, I remember you being one of the sunniest posters here most of the time, but I didn't know if you appreciated how the boards are a little brighter when you're around, although I could surely say the same about Foxy. You make being here a little more fun, that's all, and I'd like to see you appreciating yourself for knowing that. :huddle:

Tryptophan is indeed beneficial, not as a cure all for anything, but for most people it does help with attitude adjustment/mild depression. I am rarely depressed, but in the rare occasions when I am unusually stressed and as a result suffer reactive depression, it does help to cope and deal with things more positively.
Some folks up here use it late winter to help fight cabin fever.
Speaking of which, I never knew there was a name for it, but they call it SAD... Seasonal Affective Disorder. I usually get it pretty bad, and I think I might try one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094HBU6I/?tag=ff0d01-20

Forum List

Back