USMB Coffee Shop IV

Winter finally got here. Anchorage got about 6 inches of snow, none at my place...yet. Temps are more in the nomal range, though. It's been in the 20s the last few days. As usual the biggest challenge will be providing fresh, unfrozen water for my animals.
Wow, man... no snow here yet, but I did get all my leaves raked up. Got a leaf raker I pull behind the JD. Then there's places I can't use it so I have to hand rake, but all clean. I'll get the snowblower mounted one day soon here. It's snowed already here, hard, but the ground isn't frozen yet so it didn't accumulate.

45170203_1136168973198647_6837666812306391040_n.jpg

Feeling a bit like how Manonthestreet is feeling. Been that way awhile now but it all came to a head yesterday. I miss my dogs. I miss my life and what it used to be. I miss my stuff I had to sell. I miss it all. Who woulda thunk that could happen to me, who had everything planned and set for old age nice and comfy? I thought wrong thinking I was set and all would be well. And it still hasn't ended, nor will end anytime soon I guess. So..I stay either grumpy or numb or both. But at least I lanced some of the depression yesterday in the fur of housemates golden retriever, Casey. He was very obliging getting all wet from tears. :)
One of our nearby towns has a registered homeopathic expert (I don't know what they're called, but he's good) and advised me to take an amino acid called tryptophan after my husband passed and I was feeling a little low. I really don't know much, except that at least I could get up and do things. Since it's a supplement, I take it with my vitamins, and it's just nice, makes your outlook a little more settled. It's not a cure for mourning or unhappiness, but somehow, when I started taking it, my mind would select the happy times and memories, not doubts or disappointments. I have no idea, Gracie, but sometimes if I go for 3 or 4 days, I'm not immune to feeling down, so I restart, and within a couple of hours, I'm back in the world of the busy living, even if it's only sticking with a quilt till it's done, and actually enjoying being by myself rather than wishing for company too much. I'm just sharing, and hoping you find a way to look on the sunny side and realize, that although I missed 4 years being here, I remember you being one of the sunniest posters here most of the time, but I didn't know if you appreciated how the boards are a little brighter when you're around, although I could surely say the same about Foxy. You make being here a little more fun, that's all, and I'd like to see you appreciating yourself for knowing that. :huddle:

Tryptophan is indeed beneficial, not as a cure all for anything, but for most people it does help with attitude adjustment/mild depression. I am rarely depressed, but in the rare occasions when I am unusually stressed and as a result suffer reactive depression, it does help to cope and deal with things more positively.
Some folks up here use it late winter to help fight cabin fever.
Speaking of which, I never knew there was a name for it, but they call it SAD... Seasonal Affective Disorder. I usually get it pretty bad, and I think I might try one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094HBU6I/?tag=ff0d01-20

I have known a few people over the years who the shorter light period in winter does noticably affect them physically/emotionally and they have benefited from light therapy like that. I would think the very short and reduced light winter days of sunlight in the far north would dramatically affect people susceptible to that.

I should note that my little Subaru Impreza Outback turned 23 yesterday. And it still runs like a sewing machine. I bought it new on Halloween 1995. Still looks good too. :)

I should note that my little Subaru Impreza Outback turned 23 yesterday. And it still runs like a sewing machine. I bought it new on Halloween 1995. Still looks good too. :)
Good testament for Subaru's, Foxfyre... you must have also taken very good care of it.

Since I bought the new Camaro I was in dire need of a winter vehicle. I picked up this big ole tub at the little local car lot here in town. It was owned by a school so it got regular maintenance, but it was in need of some TLC. Got it for a great price though, low miles, runs awesome, (after some TLC), nice clean interior, like new tires, it's a 2005 Chevy Suburban, I like it, very comfortable, super nice ride, with the low miles it'll last me years and years. I undercoated it too...

20181029-173913.jpg

Last edited:
Good testament for Subaru's, Foxfyre... you must have also taken very good care of it.

Since I bought the new Camaro I was in dire need of a winter vehicle. I picked up this big ole tub at the little local car lot here in town. It was owned by a school so it got regular maintenance, but it was in need of some TLC. Got it for a great price though, low miles, runs awesome, (after some TLC), nice clean interior, like new tires, it's a 2005 Chevy Suburban, I like it, very comfortable, super nice ride, with the low miles it'll last me years and years. I undercoated it too...

20181029-173913.jpg

We traded in our high mileage 1995 Subaru Forrester on a new 2016 Subaru Legacy which is I think our 7th Subaru. They have all been terrific vehicles. Nothing at all wrong with the Forrester but we got too good a deal on the Legacy to pass it up. And at this stage of our livew we didn't need a workhorse vehilcle any more and are enjoying the roomier and more comfortable legacy. But Subarus have been very dependable and very economical for us. They just don't break. Every time we think we might get something different we just can't do it and we buy another Subaru.

Found a wheat penny today. Haven't seen one in the wild for some time now. Forgive me for being scarce but life went to hell out of the blue. If someone had told me prior this would happen I wouldn't have believed so confident was I in this person. Haven't talked to so many strangers about something so personal in my entire life. What I have learned isn't encouraging. Life has improved but its still not enjoyable. What remains is more unanswered questions and uncertainty.
Well, best wishes in dealing with an imperfect person; I wish you strength to overcome whatever it was. :huddle:
Well beyond simple imperfection.

20181029-173913.jpg

We traded in our high mileage 1995 Subaru Forrester on a new 2016 Subaru Legacy which is I think our 7th Subaru. They have all been terrific vehicles. Nothing at all wrong with the Forrester but we got too good a deal on the Legacy to pass it up. And at this stage of our livew we didn't need a workhorse vehilcle any more and are enjoying the roomier and more comfortable legacy. But Subarus have been very dependable and very economical for us. They just don't break. Every time we think we might get something different we just can't do it and we buy another Subaru.
Hey... stick with what works for you, Ff. Sounds like the Suba's have been real good to you. I'd probably do the same thing as you if I was you. Well, in a way I am. I've owned Chevy's since I can't remember when. I bought an old used up 1977 Chevy Blazer way back when right after I got out of the AF. Didn't have a lot of money, but I fixed the old thing up and hate to admit it but beat the living snot otta that ole rig, and it never quit, not once. The body rusted off it, but it was still an awesome running and driving old truck. I pulled the body off it with a log chain and sold the rolling frame and engine. I just love the Chevy's. They're familiar and in my opinion, built really nice. They've never done me wrong and I've had great luck with them. I LOVE the Chevy engines. So I guess we're alike in that respect Ff. We're both brand loyal because we've had good luck with what we owned.

I'll tell ya though, I do think there's a little more to it though than just "good luck." I take extremely good care of my vehicles. If they need something, I fix it, and I always give plenty of attention to PREVENTATIVE maintenance. I keep the oil changed, tires inflated, washed and waxed, etc, etc... and other than the old Blazer that I whopped on a time or two, I don't beat my vehicles either. Even the new Camaro, even though it has an UNGODLY amount of horse power, I haven't beat that one time, even though it'll burn the tires clean off, even though it was BUILT to drive like you stole it... I get on it a little here and there, but I treat it pretty dang good. It only has 1180 miles so far, and I want to last without any problems as long as I'm alive, because I'll never sell it, and even though I have a ten year factory warranty on it...

20181101-114245.jpg

Feeling a bit like how Manonthestreet is feeling. Been that way awhile now but it all came to a head yesterday. I miss my dogs. I miss my life and what it used to be. I miss my stuff I had to sell. I miss it all. Who woulda thunk that could happen to me, who had everything planned and set for old age nice and comfy? I thought wrong thinking I was set and all would be well. And it still hasn't ended, nor will end anytime soon I guess. So..I stay either grumpy or numb or both. But at least I lanced some of the depression yesterday in the fur of housemates golden retriever, Casey. He was very obliging getting all wet from tears. :)
One of our nearby towns has a registered homeopathic expert (I don't know what they're called, but he's good) and advised me to take an amino acid called tryptophan after my husband passed and I was feeling a little low. I really don't know much, except that at least I could get up and do things. Since it's a supplement, I take it with my vitamins, and it's just nice, makes your outlook a little more settled. It's not a cure for mourning or unhappiness, but somehow, when I started taking it, my mind would select the happy times and memories, not doubts or disappointments. I have no idea, Gracie, but sometimes if I go for 3 or 4 days, I'm not immune to feeling down, so I restart, and within a couple of hours, I'm back in the world of the busy living, even if it's only sticking with a quilt till it's done, and actually enjoying being by myself rather than wishing for company too much. I'm just sharing, and hoping you find a way to look on the sunny side and realize, that although I missed 4 years being here, I remember you being one of the sunniest posters here most of the time, but I didn't know if you appreciated how the boards are a little brighter when you're around, although I could surely say the same about Foxy. You make being here a little more fun, that's all, and I'd like to see you appreciating yourself for knowing that. :huddle:

Tryptophan is indeed beneficial, not as a cure all for anything, but for most people it does help with attitude adjustment/mild depression. I am rarely depressed, but in the rare occasions when I am unusually stressed and as a result suffer reactive depression, it does help to cope and deal with things more positively.
Speaking of which, I never knew there was a name for it, but they call it SAD... Seasonal Affective Disorder. I usually get it pretty bad, and I think I might try one of these...

Yup, SAD is the official name for cabin fever. Working graves for the past 20+ years, it doesn't seem to bother me. But then, I learned to sleep anywhere, anyhow during my military service. I live on cat naps. Good luck dealing with you SAD, 007.

Winter finally got here. Anchorage got about 6 inches of snow, none at my place...yet. Temps are more in the nomal range, though. It's been in the 20s the last few days. As usual the biggest challenge will be providing fresh, unfrozen water for my animals.
Wow, man... no snow here yet, but I did get all my leaves raked up. Got a leaf raker I pull behind the JD. Then there's places I can't use it so I have to hand rake, but all clean. I'll get the snowblower mounted one day soon here. It's snowed already here, hard, but the ground isn't frozen yet so it didn't accumulate.
Raking leaves is totally out of the question because I live on a homestead on almost 200 acres. The goats like to eat them, but once they're frozen, leaves appear to be an unattractive foodstuff. I just let Nature take its course and return all those leaves to the soil. At my place, the hard freeze has set in but no snow yet. It is cold, though, in the mid-20s.

I have known a few people over the years who the shorter light period in winter does noticably affect them physically/emotionally and they have benefited from light therapy like that. I would think the very short and reduced light winter days of sunlight in the far north would dramatically affect people susceptible to that.
Few of you experience the difference between summer daylight and winter daylight that we do. From almost all day light to about four hours in winter. It's part of the unique charm of living here. (Most people either hate it here or love it.)

An aurora borealis at Anchorage

When I saw this, I couldn't picture it as Anchorage. When I was a little girl, Dad was transferred to a base near Anchorage, when it was a city with one long street, which accommodated the nearby army base and air force strip. Wow. Anchorage has grown up since then, city lights and all.

a-anchorage-lights.jpg

Raking leaves is totally out of the question because I live on a homestead on almost 200 acres. The goats like to eat them, but once they're frozen, leaves appear to be an unattractive foodstuff. I just let Nature take its course and return all those leaves to the soil. At my place, the hard freeze has set in but no snow yet. It is cold, though, in the mid-20s.
Gotta do it here, if you want a decent lawn. If you don't they impact the soil, it chokes it and you get weeds. I've worked long and hard on this lawn getting it to where it is now. I did quit mowing a few sections. I'm going to let it just grow back to whatever naturally. I couldn't figure out though why I had these little broad leaf weeds growing all over in my yard, so I did some reading and found out it's from your soil being impacted, the grass isn't getting enough oxygen. Well, I never raked the leaves before and that's what happened, it was choking my soil so the dang weeds would grow but not the grass. But, now I do and I also bought an aerator. A deal I put a couple bricks on and pull with the JD and it has long tines that jab holes down into the dirt allowing oxygen down in and loosens it some. So raking the leaves and the aerator have made a big difference. My lawn is starting to look pretty show. Got some nice grass. Sweat equity.

Yup, SAD is the official name for cabin fever. Working graves for the past 20+ years, it doesn't seem to bother me. But then, I learned to sleep anywhere, anyhow during my military service. I live on cat naps. Good luck dealing with you SAD, 007.
I used to sleep under an F-16 on the ramp at Nellis AFB. I'd use a T.O. for a pillow and catch 10 winks easy, with fighter jets taxing past and the whole bit.

Wow. Anchorage has grown up since then, city lights and all.

It has been 35 + years since I was in Anchorage and even then they were putting elastic around the city limits as growth was expanding exponentially..
That's good for the people. We arrived there in 1957 and left in 1958. I just recall it seeming like a wilderness compared to Houston, where I was born and lived most (but not all) of my childhood in that vicinity. Dad drove us out to Mount Everest one weekend, which was thought to be the highest point in North America at the time. The whole place had wild and beautiful tree lands, lots of waterways, and not so many cars out on the road. That anyone would have ever called the place "Seward's Ice Box" is beyond me. What I saw then took my breath away around every bend, and its beauty lingers in my heart and mind to this day.

Good night, everyone. Some neurological people say when there's more night than day, it lifts the spirits to turn on a few more lights than you needed in the summer. It has a positive effect on serotonin levels, endorphins and encephalins, apparently. So if there's a light bulb or two out, replace them, and if the room is just dark, add a couple of more lights or increase the wattage to more of a book-reading brightness. Well, time to be rocked in the arms of Morpheus, as my dad used to say to encourage the household childrens' cooperation of going to bed at night more promptly.

Good night, everyone. Some neurological people say when there's more night than day, it lifts the spirits to turn on a few more lights than you needed in the summer. It has a positive effect on serotonin levels, endorphins and encephalins, apparently. So if there's a light bulb or two out, replace them, and if the room is just dark, add a couple of more lights or increase the wattage to more of a book-reading brightness. Well, time to be rocked in the arms of Morpheus, as my dad used to say to encourage the household childrens' cooperation of going to bed at night more promptly.
tumblr_m5x0qlnpIk1rtvb1so1_400.gif

Forum List

Back