USMB Coffee Shop IV

Whelp, winter is official. It's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra up here now. At least with the ground frozen the poor goats aren't belly deep in mud any more. I've put piles of straw in their sleeping places to help keep them warm. Now I have to see what I can do for the fowl.
I hope all of you are doing well as the Fall season winds down and we slip into a more monochromatic winter mode.
Kinda warm yet for November here in Podunk, Wisconsin, raining today, and even though we have surely had one ultra wet year, I'm glad it's not snow though, I don't have the snowblower on the JD yet.

Hubby once lived in Grapevine and we had relatives there until fairly recently. All military or also commercial pilot? (My recently late Uncle was a Marines Corp. pilot in WWII and then flew for Braniff mostly out of Love Field in Dallas until they folded up shop.)

What a small world. I wonder if I live in his old neighborhood.

Lot's of old Braniff fossils still kicking around here.

iu

Whelp, winter is official. It's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra up here now. At least with the ground frozen the poor goats aren't belly deep in mud any more. I've put piles of straw in their sleeping places to help keep them warm. Now I have to see what I can do for the fowl.
I hope all of you are doing well as the Fall season winds down and we slip into a more monochromatic winter mode.
Kinda warm yet for November here in Podunk, Wisconsin, raining today, and even though we have surely had one ultra wet year, I'm glad it's not snow though, I don't have the snowblower on the JD yet.
Definitely been ultra wet here, too. But last weekend it snapped cold. Funny thing is, where I am, no snow yet. Lower elevations have gotten enough snow to plow and bitch.
I boiled up a couple of gallons of water and added that to the fresh well water. Goats seemed to appreciate the warmer water. I'll boil another couple of gallons and add that to the ice in their buckets before I go to work. I've found some of my old packing/guiding stuff that lets me heat up the buckets and discard soiled water before providing cleaner stuff. The chickens/turkeys love it when I run the well because they drink up as much of the puddles as they can. Winter is always hard on an off-grid homestead. I'll make it this year, too

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Hubby once lived in Grapevine and we had relatives there until fairly recently. All military or also commercial pilot? (My recently late Uncle was a Marines Corp. pilot in WWII and then flew for Braniff mostly out of Love Field in Dallas until they folded up shop.)

What a small world. I wonder if I live in his old neighborhood.

Lot's of old Braniff fossils still kicking around here.

iu

I met him after he left Grapevine so I really don't know where he lived there. Never asked him. :) That photo does look like the Grapevine I remember as a kid though. But haven't been there in a long long time other than on the highway that goes from DFW to Arlington.

Last edited:
Don't forget that tonight is the night that those of us in Daylight Savings Time zones fall back--set your clocks back 1 hour before you go to bed.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Gracie
Hombre's sister
Mrs. Ringel and Ringel and impending diagnosis
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Gracie
Hombre's sister
Mrs. Ringel and Ringel and impending diagnosis
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

In Hawaii there are essentially two seasons because there is little change in the length of day and night between summer and winter. But I was surprised that Hawaii also gets some outstanding fall color
R733ta4.jpg

Last edited:
You know its wet when this guy shows up in NYC.

mandarin-duck.jpg

What is that? It is positively gorgeous!

Mandarin duck

Perching duck

The mandarin duck is a perching duck species found in East Asia. It is medium-sized, at 41–49 cm long with a 65–75 cm wingspan. It is closely related to the North American wood duck, the only other member of the genus Aix. en.wikipedia.org

You know its wet when this guy shows up in NYC.

mandarin-duck.jpg

What is that? It is positively gorgeous!

Mandarin duck

Perching duck

The mandarin duck is a perching duck species found in East Asia. It is medium-sized, at 41–49 cm long with a 65–75 cm wingspan. It is closely related to the North American wood duck, the only other member of the genus Aix. en.wikipedia.org

If it walks, quacks and swims like a duck....

Without being political, please vote Tuesday, if you already haven't by absentee. I'll still like all of you regardless of how you voted on Wednesday.

Forum List

Back