USMB Coffee Shop IV

One of our nearby towns has a registered homeopathic expert (I don't know what they're called, but he's good) and advised me to take an amino acid called tryptophan after my husband passed and I was feeling a little low. I really don't know much, except that at least I could get up and do things. Since it's a supplement, I take it with my vitamins, and it's just nice, makes your outlook a little more settled. It's not a cure for mourning or unhappiness, but somehow, when I started taking it, my mind would select the happy times and memories, not doubts or disappointments. I have no idea, Gracie, but sometimes if I go for 3 or 4 days, I'm not immune to feeling down, so I restart, and within a couple of hours, I'm back in the world of the busy living, even if it's only sticking with a quilt till it's done, and actually enjoying being by myself rather than wishing for company too much. I'm just sharing, and hoping you find a way to look on the sunny side and realize, that although I missed 4 years being here, I remember you being one of the sunniest posters here most of the time, but I didn't know if you appreciated how the boards are a little brighter when you're around, although I could surely say the same about Foxy. You make being here a little more fun, that's all, and I'd like to see you appreciating yourself for knowing that. :huddle:

Tryptophan is indeed beneficial, not as a cure all for anything, but for most people it does help with attitude adjustment/mild depression. I am rarely depressed, but in the rare occasions when I am unusually stressed and as a result suffer reactive depression, it does help to cope and deal with things more positively.
Some folks up here use it late winter to help fight cabin fever.
Speaking of which, I never knew there was a name for it, but they call it SAD... Seasonal Affective Disorder. I usually get it pretty bad, and I think I might try one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094HBU6I/?tag=ff0d01-20
Yup, SAD is the official name for cabin fever. Working graves for the past 20+ years, it doesn't seem to bother me. But then, I learned to sleep anywhere, anyhow during my military service. I live on cat naps. Good luck dealing with you SAD, 007.
I used to sleep under an F-16 on the ramp at Nellis AFB. I'd use a T.O. for a pillow and catch 10 winks easy, with fighter jets taxing past and the whole bit.

I'm not sure I would consider F-16s as white noise, but I do sleep better with some white noise in the room. There are certain movies I can put on and there is something about the sound track or cadence of the dialogue or something that puts me right to sleep and I stay asleep. I haven't identified exactly what it is that does it but I know which movies do.

I sleep with two windows open...with both youtube vids playing. I need white noise...or rather...brown noise. White noise is more high pitched, supposedly.

Anyway..I listen to these two..both at the same time. I have been sleeping pretty well lately doing it.

Tryptophan is indeed beneficial, not as a cure all for anything, but for most people it does help with attitude adjustment/mild depression. I am rarely depressed, but in the rare occasions when I am unusually stressed and as a result suffer reactive depression, it does help to cope and deal with things more positively.
Speaking of which, I never knew there was a name for it, but they call it SAD... Seasonal Affective Disorder. I usually get it pretty bad, and I think I might try one of these...

Yup, SAD is the official name for cabin fever. Working graves for the past 20+ years, it doesn't seem to bother me. But then, I learned to sleep anywhere, anyhow during my military service. I live on cat naps. Good luck dealing with you SAD, 007.
I used to sleep under an F-16 on the ramp at Nellis AFB. I'd use a T.O. for a pillow and catch 10 winks easy, with fighter jets taxing past and the whole bit.

I'm not sure I would consider F-16s as white noise, but I do sleep better with some white noise in the room. There are certain movies I can put on and there is something about the sound track or cadence of the dialogue or something that puts me right to sleep and I stay asleep. I haven't identified exactly what it is that does it but I know which movies do.
Absolutely... BECAUSE of those F-16's, that have the most ungodly screech at idle from the intake, my ears ring bad. I have to listen to a TV to fall asleep. In fact it has to be on all night. If for some reason it goes quite, I wake up.

I used to put on The Outlaw Josey Wales on all the time to fall asleep, knowing I wasn't going to watch it, I'd just listen to it until I fell asleep. Consequently I can quote just about the entire movie word for word... :lol: I bet I've listened to it subconsciously 100 times or so.

Absolutely... BECAUSE of those F-16's, that have the most ungodly screech at idle from the intake, my ears ring bad. I have to listen to a TV to fall asleep. In fact it has to be on all night. If for some reason it goes quite, I wake up.

I used to put on The Outlaw Josey Wales on all the time to fall asleep, knowing I wasn't going to watch it, I'd just listen to it until I fell asleep. Consequently I can quote just about the entire movie word for word... :lol: I bet I've listened to it subconsciously 100 times or so.

Yep. I know quite a few movie scripts pretty much by heart. :)

Good night, everyone. Some neurological people say when there's more night than day, it lifts the spirits to turn on a few more lights than you needed in the summer. It has a positive effect on serotonin levels, endorphins and encephalins, apparently. So if there's a light bulb or two out, replace them, and if the room is just dark, add a couple of more lights or increase the wattage to more of a book-reading brightness. Well, time to be rocked in the arms of Morpheus, as my dad used to say to encourage the household childrens' cooperation of going to bed at night more promptly.
tumblr_m5x0qlnpIk1rtvb1so1_400.gif
Oh, Mr. Ringel, yer posts are such a kick in the britches. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I sleep with two windows open...with both youtube vids playing. I need white noise...or rather...brown noise. White noise is more high pitched, supposedly.

Anyway..I listen to these two..both at the same time. I have been sleeping pretty well lately doing it.

My alarm clock uses wind or water sounds to make me up....

My alarm clock uses wind or water sounds to make me up....

Mine knows that wouldn't work for me. So it puts out the most godawful jangling annoying clanging that forces me to get up and turn it off. Then once I'm up I will need to visit the bathroom and by that time I might as well stay up. :)

Last edited:
The wind chimes end before the water vid...so when it does, the water vid is much louder. Wakes me up every time but that's ok. I no longer sleep until noon. Too much to do around here!

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Gracie
Hombre's sister
Mrs. Ringel and Ringel and impending diagnosis
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

Autumn in Wiisconsin
first-day-of-autumn..jpg

What part of the country do you hail from williepete ?

Originally from Atlanta, Georgia but my flying career sent me all over the world. Currently in Grapevine, Texas.

Ah you are neighbors with Hossfly then who lives in Fort Worth I think about half the year. Hubby once lived in Grapevine and we had relatives there until fairly recently. All military or also commercial pilot? (My recently late Uncle was a Marines Corp. pilot in WWII and then flew for Braniff mostly out of Love Field in Dallas until they folded up shop.)

Last edited:
Hossfly and I actually met a few years back at the FAC museum in Fort Worth.

I flew in the Air Force then bizjets in the civilian world.

What part of the country do you hail from williepete ?

Originally from Atlanta, Georgia but my flying career sent me all over the world. Currently in Grapevine, Texas.

Ah you are neighbors with Hossfly then who lives in Fort Worth I think about half the year. Hubby once lived in Grapevine and we had relatives there until fairly recently. All military or also commercial pilot? (My recently late Uncle was a Marines Corp. pilot in WWII and then flew for Braniff mostly out of Love Field in Dallas until they folded up shop.)

mail

Whelp, winter is official. It's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra up here now. At least with the ground frozen the poor goats aren't belly deep in mud any more. I've put piles of straw in their sleeping places to help keep them warm. Now I have to see what I can do for the fowl.
I hope all of you are doing well as the Fall season winds down and we slip into a more monochromatic winter mode.

Good luck with the winter weather and keeping the babies safe and warm, Gallantwarrior.

Just stopped by for a moment before going up to the sewing room. Not sure whether I'll finish that little charity bees top or take a nap yet. I really need to get up there to the Iron Works and walk on the machines for an hour. Decisions, decisions!

Have a lovely weekend, everyone. Remember the songsters love to cheer us on...

The Museum of Natural History and Science is my favorite place in all of Albuquerque and the volunteers and staff there are very helpful and knowledgeable--if I lived closer I would be one of them-- but I've not run across anybody who was there when the museum was built. And I have always wondered how they got those lifesized dinosaurs into the building. Then I ran across this old photo of one being delivered to the Museum of Science in Boston in 1984:

e0a6cca63b09a4ceff0753935f9e5959.jpg

Forum List

Back