USMB Coffee Shop IV

I had been meaning to do it for a while an finally made a carrot cake from scratch yesterday, the wife's favorite cake. Turned out really good!!

Carrot-Cake-Recipe-4-1200.jpg

Carrots should not be part of a dessert. :p

Also, eww, covering a cake with nuts is bad!

Looks good to me though carrot cake and spice cake are not my favorites. But that does look good.

My husband does the same thing. :)
He also does it for westerns also, with them using the wrong type of guns for the era that wasn't around at that time.

During the early years of our marriage, my wife would tolerate my intolerance of technical errors in movies; aircraft, weapons, backdrops, etc...

Now, she just gives me "THE LOOK".

The only time she encouraged it was when we watched Tom Hanks in "Sully". I refused to watch the movie. My brother-in-law, a lawyer wanted to watch it with a pilot for technical commentary. I thought it would be a good idea to watch it with a lawyer for the courtroom/inquiry/legal technical commentary. Wifey was in control of the pause button and paused the movie from time to time for her brother or husband to explain details/comment on accuracy.

We all had fun and all enjoyed the movie. It's now a favorite of mine.

My husband does the same thing. :)
He also does it for westerns also, with them using the wrong type of guns for the era that wasn't around at that time.

During the early years of our marriage, my wife would tolerate my intolerance of technical errors in movies; aircraft, weapons, backdrops, etc...

Now, she just gives me "THE LOOK".

The only time she encouraged it was when we watched Tom Hanks in "Sully". I refused to watch the movie. My brother-in-law, a lawyer wanted to watch it with a pilot for technical commentary. I thought it would be a good idea to watch it with a lawyer for the courtroom/inquiry/legal technical commentary. Wifey was in control of the pause button and paused the movie from time to time for her brother or husband to explain details/comment on accuracy.

We all had fun and all enjoyed the movie. It's now a favorite of mine.

My problem with "Sully" was the directing of it. I would have left out a lot of boring preliminary stuff that didn't need to be there and would have gotten to the story line a lot sooner. And I would have included a lot more of frustration, even anger, at how the 'experts' were trying to play it. I think that would have made a lot better movie.

My problem with "Sully" was the directing of it. I would have left out a lot of boring preliminary stuff that didn't need to be there and would have gotten to the story line a lot sooner. And I would have included a lot more of frustration, even anger, at how the 'experts' were trying to play it. I think that would have made a lot better movie.

The water landing happened just before I retired. I was out on the road at the time. I remember how Sully was hailed as a hero by the media. Everyone in my professional community knew it was only a matter of days before Sully's company, FAA and NTSB nailed his hide to the barn door. How shocked we all were and still are that he came out smelling like a rose. A very, very rare case of a pilot not taking the fall.

I record all the Hogan's Heros, McCale's Navy, Xena Warrior Princess, I Dream Of Geanie... problem is I'm running into seeing them before now.

They're still fun to watch. The McCale's Navy just absolutely cracks me up.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Gracie
Hombre's sister
Mrs. Ringel and Ringel and impending diagnosis
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

Autumn in Illinois. (Big Black Dog probably knows where this is. :) )

92024-Rockford-And-Vicinity.jpg

Found a wheat penny today. Haven't seen one in the wild for some time now. Forgive me for being scarce but life went to hell out of the blue. If someone had told me prior this would happen I wouldn't have believed so confident was I in this person. Haven't talked to so many strangers about something so personal in my entire life. What I have learned isn't encouraging. Life has improved but its still not enjoyable. What remains is more unanswered questions and uncertainty.
Well, best wishes in dealing with an imperfect person; I wish you strength to overcome whatever it was. :huddle:

Enjoyed catching up this morning reading all the posts. Hope everyone has a great day. I gotta empty the trash. My husband treated me like a pampered princess with never a discouraging word. That's the hard part. The good part is the memories he left. They still make me laugh, all those pranks and jokes and nothing but good will. His life was medicine to my soul.

Sewed a couple of nine-patches yesterday. Now, only 43 left to sew to make a charity quilt. lol Better get my dragging butt off to the sewing room. <giggle>

If you like nature, save this one, go to youtube, put this on fullscreen, and you could have an hour and a half of pure relaxation :huddle:

Feeling a bit like how Manonthestreet is feeling. Been that way awhile now but it all came to a head yesterday. I miss my dogs. I miss my life and what it used to be. I miss my stuff I had to sell. I miss it all. Who woulda thunk that could happen to me, who had everything planned and set for old age nice and comfy? I thought wrong thinking I was set and all would be well. And it still hasn't ended, nor will end anytime soon I guess. So..I stay either grumpy or numb or both. But at least I lanced some of the depression yesterday in the fur of housemates golden retriever, Casey. He was very obliging getting all wet from tears. :)

Feeling a bit like how Manonthestreet is feeling. Been that way awhile now but it all came to a head yesterday. I miss my dogs. I miss my life and what it used to be. I miss my stuff I had to sell. I miss it all. Who woulda thunk that could happen to me, who had everything planned and set for old age nice and comfy? I thought wrong thinking I was set and all would be well. And it still hasn't ended, nor will end anytime soon I guess. So..I stay either grumpy or numb or both. But at least I lanced some of the depression yesterday in the fur of housemates golden retriever, Casey. He was very obliging getting all wet from tears. :)
One of our nearby towns has a registered homeopathic expert (I don't know what they're called, but he's good) and advised me to take an amino acid called tryptophan after my husband passed and I was feeling a little low. I really don't know much, except that at least I could get up and do things. Since it's a supplement, I take it with my vitamins, and it's just nice, makes your outlook a little more settled. It's not a cure for mourning or unhappiness, but somehow, when I started taking it, my mind would select the happy times and memories, not doubts or disappointments. I have no idea, Gracie, but sometimes if I go for 3 or 4 days, I'm not immune to feeling down, so I restart, and within a couple of hours, I'm back in the world of the busy living, even if it's only sticking with a quilt till it's done, and actually enjoying being by myself rather than wishing for company too much. I'm just sharing, and hoping you find a way to look on the sunny side and realize, that although I missed 4 years being here, I remember you being one of the sunniest posters here most of the time, but I didn't know if you appreciated how the boards are a little brighter when you're around, although I could surely say the same about Foxy. You make being here a little more fun, that's all, and I'd like to see you appreciating yourself for knowing that. :huddle:

One of our nearby towns has a registered homeopathic expert (I don't know what they're called, but he's good) and advised me to take an amino acid called tryptophan after my husband passed and I was feeling a little low. I really don't know much, except that at least I could get up and do things. Since it's a supplement, I take it with my vitamins, and it's just nice, makes your outlook a little more settled. It's not a cure for mourning or unhappiness, but somehow, when I started taking it, my mind would select the happy times and memories, not doubts or disappointments. I have no idea, Gracie, but sometimes if I go for 3 or 4 days, I'm not immune to feeling down, so I restart, and within a couple of hours, I'm back in the world of the busy living, even if it's only sticking with a quilt till it's done, and actually enjoying being by myself rather than wishing for company too much. I'm just sharing, and hoping you find a way to look on the sunny side and realize, that although I missed 4 years being here, I remember you being one of the sunniest posters here most of the time, but I didn't know if you appreciated how the boards are a little brighter when you're around, although I could surely say the same about Foxy. You make being here a little more fun, that's all, and I'd like to see you appreciating yourself for knowing that. :huddle:

Tryptophan is indeed beneficial, not as a cure all for anything, but for most people it does help with attitude adjustment/mild depression. I am rarely depressed, but in the rare occasions when I am unusually stressed and as a result suffer reactive depression, it does help to cope and deal with things more positively.

I think that is the nicest thing anyone has said to me. Thank you.

I think that is the nicest thing anyone has said to me. Thank you.

She has that affect on people. And what makes it really special is that she means it. :)

I'm still a tad gobsmacked reading it. People are nice to me here, yes. But nobody has ever said what she said. It was more personal. And boy did I need to hear it. However, I find myself still a smidge grumpy, lol.

I'm still a tad gobsmacked reading it. People are nice to me here, yes. But nobody has ever said what she said. It was more personal. And boy did I need to hear it. However, I find myself still a smidge grumpy, lol.

Well your ungrumpified self is pretty nice to have around. And since we all have our grumpy days--it is simply a fact of life--we're happy to see you through yours too. :)

In this age of political correctness, the safest thing a kid can wear so he doesn’t offend when he goes out trick or treating on Halloween is his birthday suit.

Forum List

Back