USMB Coffee Shop IV

Rain, again!!! It poured all last night. It was about 42F when I got up around 5 am, made a pot of coffee, started a fire, and settled in to read for a couple of hours. If this rain keeps up, we'll have some record-breaking snows when Winter finally does show up. I'm making sure my snow blowers are working well. At least I've had some reprieve getting things more in order for the snowy season. No matter how much you do, you are never quite prepared.
We sure do have a lot of similar weather here in Wisconsin, pard, and I agree about winter coming. We have probably moved into the second rainiest year in history for here, and if that keeps up into Winter, man we're in for it. So I put a cab on the John Deere, because it never seemed to matter if there was a breeze or not, since my driveway is an L shape, it didn't matter what direction you were going I always got covered with a blow back mist of snow, and by the time I was done I was covered from head to toe, glasses covered, could barely see, wet, cold... well no more of that... I'm going to be nice and dry and toasty now...

20181024-173533.jpg

Snow removal here generally involves waiting until noon if the sun is out, or maybe a few swishes of the broom. Every once in awhile we do use the snow shovel we brought from north central Kansas to push a 4 inch high snow bank blown against the garage door off the driveway so it won't melt and refreeze making ice there.

Every once in awhile--like every 10 to 15 years we will get a substantial snow though even in those once-in-a-decade storms, it rarely gets much over a foot or so.

When we lived up on the mountain though it SNOWED! Snow up there was measured in feet, not inches, and two to three feet was not all that unusual. We shoveled it though our snow was very rarely the heavy wet variety but usually very light, dry, and airy. Evenso, if we had it to do again we would have a tractor or at least a snow blower.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Found a wheat penny today. Haven't seen one in the wild for some time now. Forgive me for being scarce but life went to hell out of the blue. If someone had told me prior this would happen I wouldn't have believed so confident was I in this person. Haven't talked to so many strangers about something so personal in my entire life. What I have learned isn't encouraging. Life has improved but its still not enjoyable. What remains is more unanswered questions and uncertainty.

Rain, again!!! It poured all last night. It was about 42F when I got up around 5 am, made a pot of coffee, started a fire, and settled in to read for a couple of hours. If this rain keeps up, we'll have some record-breaking snows when Winter finally does show up. I'm making sure my snow blowers are working well. At least I've had some reprieve getting things more in order for the snowy season. No matter how much you do, you are never quite prepared.
We sure do have a lot of similar weather here in Wisconsin, pard, and I agree about winter coming. We have probably moved into the second rainiest year in history for here, and if that keeps up into Winter, man we're in for it. So I put a cab on the John Deere, because it never seemed to matter if there was a breeze or not, since my driveway is an L shape, it didn't matter what direction you were going I always got covered with a blow back mist of snow, and by the time I was done I was covered from head to toe, glasses covered, could barely see, wet, cold... well no more of that... I'm going to be nice and dry and toasty now...

20181024-173533.jpg
Nice looking rig, 007. I wish I still had a pic of the redneck engineering project my partner cobbled together. He bolted two regular snow blowers into the front shovel of the tractor, rigged the deadmen so they wouldn't hinder operations and took off with the tractor. It worked, though, so I'm not complaining.

My beloved Washington Redskins won their game. My other favorite team, the Packers fell a little short. Boston won the World Series and that was a good thing. I’d say on a scale of 1 to 10 today was a 7.5. Good enough for me. Life goes on.

Oh, way cool!!! I'm watching some old TV show called "Blacksheep". Not only are they flying F4U aircraft, they also have a Grumman Duck! Amazing, all the ways people have invented to get airborne.
I watch that every once and awhile. Seems like more and more channels on the cable are popping up that run old shows. Could it be because so much of the new shows suck so bad? Best part about "Blacksheep" is the hot nurses in those flight suits... :113:

Found a wheat penny today. Haven't seen one in the wild for some time now. Forgive me for being scarce but life went to hell out of the blue. If someone had told me prior this would happen I wouldn't have believed so confident was I in this person. Haven't talked to so many strangers about something so personal in my entire life. What I have learned isn't encouraging. Life has improved but its still not enjoyable. What remains is more unanswered questions and uncertainty.

Sorry you're having a bad patch MOTS. I suppose we all do from time to time so we hope yours is one of those 'this too shall pass' scenarios. But found a penny and picked it up is supposed to bring good luck. Meanwhile will send prayers and/or positive vibes your way.

My beloved Washington Redskins won their game. My other favorite team, the Packers fell a little short. Boston won the World Series and that was a good thing. I’d say on a scale of 1 to 10 today was a 7.5. Good enough for me. Life goes on.

Win some lose some as they say. Our Dallas Cowboys had a bye week this week so they didn't lose. So that was good. :)

Oh, way cool!!! I'm watching some old TV show called "Blacksheep". Not only are they flying F4U aircraft, they also have a Grumman Duck! Amazing, all the ways people have invented to get airborne.

Would that be the old "Black Sheep Squadron" series? I used to love that. Hadn't thought about it in decades.

I used to like watching Baa Baa Black Sheep but found the dogfight scenes frustrating. The old T-6s they modified to be the "Zeros" could barely tickle 200 knots in a screaming dive. Same as the camera planes filming. The Corsairs we hanging on their props trying to fly that slow and thus appeared so sluggish.

I used to like watching Baa Baa Black Sheep but found the dogfight scenes frustrating. The old T-6s they modified to be the "Zeros" could barely tickle 200 knots in a screaming dive. Same as the camera planes filming. The Corsairs we hanging on their props trying to fly that slow and thus appeared so sluggish.

Yeah but that's the beauty of television or the movies. It doesn't have to be real to be entertaining. :)

As an aside, many years ago, before I met him, Hombre (my hubby) worked for Chance Vought Aircraft in Dallas building Corsairs. (It is just called Vought now.) He was MUCH skinnier then than now and, because he was smaller than most of the guys, he was the one designated to crawl into the tail to install and hook up the stuff in the tail assembly. It was actually a great job for that era, but he was caught up in a massive layoff just before Christmas. He went back to his home town and went to work on the newspaper where I interned the next summer. The rest is history. :)

Oh and welcome back williepete.

I love to laugh at the 1950s WWII movies, American or Soviet tanks painted with German markings, P-34s fighting Mustangs painted with German markings, Germans carrying Remington model 34s, the heroes never getting dirty in unblemished uniforms........

One of my favorites when I was a kid was Combat with Vic Morrow. Mac, my wife's unofficial grandfather was Army infantry recon through North Africa, Sicily, Italy and finally France/Germany. He carried a B.A.R. through the whole war. He would watch Combat and laugh primarily when Kirby let loose with his B.A.R. and the Germans would hide behind trees and other "light" cover, perfectly safe from harm. He said the B.A.R. would cut through the light cover and anything behind it........ He also said he loved the B.A.R. because he could sit on the ground, fire and retreat at the same time....... :lol:

I love to laugh at the 1950s WWII movies, American or Soviet tanks painted with German markings, P-34s fighting Mustangs painted with German markings, Germans carrying Remington model 34s, the heroes never getting dirty in unblemished uniforms........

You and mr. boe have a lot in common. He always provides a running critique of all the errors in such movies.

You and mr. boe have a lot in common. He always provides a running critique of all the errors in such movies.

My husband does the same thing. :)
He also does it for westerns also, with them using the wrong type of guns for the era that wasn't around at that time.

Agreed. I sit and watch movies and to me those are American or British or Japanese or Migs or whatever. Hombre immediately sees that different types of airplanes are being used, sometimes flown by the same pilot in adjoining scenes. :)

And try watching a movie that has technical components with a son who is a professional mechanical engineer. It is a non stop commentary on all the technical aspects they got wrong. :)

My husband does the same thing. :)
He also does it for westerns also, with them using the wrong type of guns for the era that wasn't around at that time.
I'm really terrible that way. I get a kick out of the old movies, John Wayne included when they're using Winchester 73s and cartridge side arms right after or during the Civil War when these guns didn't exist yet........
One they did get correct (other than the shooting location - Utah) was John Wayne in Rio Grande. The fort without walls, men living in tents, etc, carrying 1973 Springfield trapdoor carbines, McClellan saddles, etc was entirely correct. The only incorrect thing was Ford dressed the soldiers in yellow suspenders because they showed up better in black and white than the authentic white suspenders.

I had been meaning to do it for a while an finally made a carrot cake from scratch yesterday, the wife's favorite cake. Turned out really good!!

Carrot-Cake-Recipe-4-1200.jpg

Forum List

Back