USMB Coffee Shop IV

I start my short internship/clinical time tomorrow. 8 hours a day from Mon-Fri, then another 8 hours a day for 3 days in early December.

I'm worried about it. There's a whole crapload of stuff for me to get done. I've also got a coding exam to do this week, a project due in one class and a paper due in another on the 28th. I think everyone else is going to be out next week for a Thanksgiving trip, so at least I'll have the house to myself to get some work done, but the clinical stuff is mostly done while I'm at the facility.

Okay if I put you on the list for a bit of extra support?

I start my short internship/clinical time tomorrow. 8 hours a day from Mon-Fri, then another 8 hours a day for 3 days in early December.

I'm worried about it. There's a whole crapload of stuff for me to get done. I've also got a coding exam to do this week, a project due in one class and a paper due in another on the 28th. I think everyone else is going to be out next week for a Thanksgiving trip, so at least I'll have the house to myself to get some work done, but the clinical stuff is mostly done while I'm at the facility.

You're welcome to, but this doesn't seem like the kind of thing that belongs there. Even if it were to go horribly and I fail the class and can't get my associate's, it isn't as though I'm expecting to get some high-paying job when I finish. I'll have half a year or so to find some sort of regular job once I finish this semester, whether I pass or not.

I start my new job tomorrow too. I know you will do great and I understand your anxiety and stress. New stuff always gives me a restless feeling. Plus you have other projects and deadlines due. But sending you good vibes Mont.

Finally starting to feel better, I can actually eat something and not upset my stomach, my blood pressure has normalized, the joint aches and headache are gone. Next time a doc wants to prescribe Wellbutrin it'll be not no, HELL NO!!!!!

Once we find out what treatment options for the wife are recommended and available we may have to relocate again, most likely back to Albuquerque. Not that Roswell doesn't have the services and facilities here it's just that Albuquerque has more and better services. The problem will be two fold, finding a place to live and moving. For the latter we're talking about getting rid of everything we really don't need which is around 2/3ds of what we own.
To get any meaningful help we will most likely have to wipe out our 401Ks first, expensive. We'd lose about a third in penalties then there's the ten percent the government will take for early withdrawal.

It sucks that is an option you have to consider. Do you have family in Albuquerque?
No, no family there besides my family and I aren't what you would call close and there's definitely bad blood between my wife and at least two of my brothers. The third brother really isn't in a position to help out anyway. As for more distant relations I don't even know them at all.
Finally starting to feel better, I can actually eat something and not upset my stomach, my blood pressure has normalized, the joint aches and headache are gone. Next time a doc wants to prescribe Wellbutrin it'll be not no, HELL NO!!!!!

Once we find out what treatment options for the wife are recommended and available we may have to relocate again, most likely back to Albuquerque. Not that Roswell doesn't have the services and facilities here it's just that Albuquerque has more and better services. The problem will be two fold, finding a place to live and moving. For the latter we're talking about getting rid of everything we really don't need which is around 2/3ds of what we own.
To get any meaningful help we will most likely have to wipe out our 401Ks first, expensive. We'd lose about a third in penalties then there's the ten percent the government will take for early withdrawal.

It sucks that is an option you have to consider. Do you have family in Albuquerque?
No, no family there besides my family and I aren't what you would call close and there's definitely bad blood between my wife and at least two of my brothers. The third brother really isn't in a position to help out anyway. As for more distant relations I don't even know them at all.

This may sound corny, but you do have people right here that want to give you moral support through this. You can reach out to me anytime and if I can help I will. I can research for facilities on a sliding scale or nonprofits that can possibly help. Beyond that, you can know that at any time you just need to talk this coffeeshop is here and u can PM me.

:( There must be some help available that doesn't involve impoverishing yourself first?
Typically not. The wife will be going on short term disability leave tomorrow so at least some income will be coming in for now.
Once that is up she'll be eligible for Medicaid (or eligible depending on how much she gets paid through disability insurance). After that my disability will not cover us financially where we are.

On our daily walk I ran into an d friend who showed me a video he recorded last night. It was of a black bear raiding his bird feeder! Right here in East Liverpool, not flier blocks from the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate.

I then drove over he to the Big House to see Mom. Entering the front door, Mom said she was thinking about going to the Emergency Room. That was 3:15 this afternoon.

Mom had a flare up of diverticulitis and will spend this evening in the hospital. Let's see what tomorrow rings.

You're welcome to, but this doesn't seem like the kind of thing that belongs there. Even if it were to go horribly and I fail the class and can't get my associate's, it isn't as though I'm expecting to get some high-paying job when I finish. I'll have half a year or so to find some sort of regular job once I finish this semester, whether I pass or not.

This is precisely what the vigil list is for though. . .to congratulate, extend sympathy, encourage, and most of us do believe that positive thoughts and prayers do make a difference in times of real trouble and life threatening situations. And we also provide some empathy and moral support for the more stressful times that we all have from time to time. You probably don't see your issues as all that significant compared to what others are facing/enduring, and maybe they aren't, but they are still stressful and infusing some positivity into it can't hurt you and it sure doesn't hurt the rest of us to provide it.

Last edited:
On our daily walk I ran into an d friend who showed me a video he recorded last night. It was of a black bear raiding his bird feeder! Right here in East Liverpool, not flier blocks from the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate.

I then drove over he to the Big House to see Mom. Entering the front door, Mom said she was thinking about going to the Emergency Room. That was 3:15 this afternoon.

Mom had a flare up of diverticulitis and will spend this evening in the hospital. Let's see what tomorrow rings.

That happens so often--we have an impulse to call somebody, drop by to see somebody and find out they really needed that call or that visit. Hopefully it is an issue easily remedied, but onto the list she goes.

:( There must be some help available that doesn't involve impoverishing yourself first?
Typically not. The wife will be going on short term disability leave tomorrow so at least some income will be coming in for now.
Once that is up she'll be eligible for Medicaid (or eligible depending on how much she gets paid through disability insurance). After that my disability will not cover us financially where we are.

That's tough even with the options you have.

That happens so often--we have an impulse to call somebody, drop by to see somebody and find out they really needed that call or that visit. Hopefully it is an issue easily remedied, but onto the list she goes.
Thanks but she's already on the list.

Mom's first bout with diverticulitis happened in 1997. Her ascending colon burst and she was in the hospital for weeks. She had a colostomy and within four months, had it reversed. We were beset by sleepless nights and bouyed by prayer.

I'll not sleep much tonight, too busy praying

Do not wipe out your 401K's if at all possible. It is a short term fix, but you may regret it in the long run. Any state or federal assistance can't/won't make you drain those in order to be eligible for any possible help, I don't think. They didn't require it here in Washington and it might be different where you are, but I don't think it is. Is there a local resource directory? A list of places to call for assistance with different types of needs. Housing, utilities, food/clothing banks, etc. Possibly at the Dr's office??? Does the Dr's office have a patient care coordinator? (not sure about that title, but someone that can help you guys applying for different types of help or benefits available?)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming your wife's short term disability is thru her work??? Does her work also have any other types of benefits she could tap into? She might need to talk with a supervisor or manager or resource or personnel manager??

I do understand the financial stresses.....been there & done that...a few times.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Gracie & Mr. G now homeless again
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Mrs. Ringel and Ringel back in difficult transition and for healing
Montrovant in difficult transition
Nosmo's mom back in the hospital

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

10-22-courage-1024x830.jpg

Sorry in advance for a long post,....

In 2014 I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Triple Negative breast cancer...….it was the last thing I ever expected. I tend to dislike and distrust Dr's and didn't want treatment, but had to face my kids, so I agreed to chemo, refused radiation and finally had a lumpectomy to remove the lump.....went back to work until my manager had only scheduled me to work the week of Christmas with no backup and wouldn't sit down to talk with me about it. So I quit a year later (2 years out from initial diagnosis)

Thought better of it and before I could ask for my job back, hubby had been complaining of chest pains and I nagged him to see a Dr. because of a family history of heart problems. They took xrays and found a tumor. More tests showed it was around the bronchial tube at the entrance of the lung and around the aeorta vein to the heart as well as within the upper portion of the lung. Surgery was not an option. We were told he only had 2 months to live by some radiologist that only had the xray & MRI to go by......no blood test results, no biopsy, nothing.

Anyway, he went thru chemo that did help to shrink the tumor, but not enough. He did have radiation and was also given several types of immuno-therapy. We are now over 2 and half years later....until this past August. The Dr said the cancer has grown and spread and there was no more treatment available. He has been oxygen since and a Hospice nurse comes once a week to check on him. Thankfully he's not been bed ridden so it makes it easier for me to care for him at home.

Although a couple of months ago, he did give us all a scare. That morning when I got up, he was awake and alert and we talked for a bit. Then he fell asleep. When the Hospice nurse came, he was unresponsive no matter how we tried to wake him. She called 911 for the paramedics to transfer him from his recliner to the bedroom. Didn't even phase him. She & I tried to prep him for the inevitable and even after rolling him back & forth on the bed to get a cover pad under him, propped pillows around him & covered with blankets all to keep him comfortable as possible.....he still didn't even flinch. She and a Social Worker explained to me the usual steps a patient goes thru so I would know what to expect, including him taking his final breath.. The nurse didn't expect him to live more than a few hours at most.

Our boys (19 & 17) and I sat with him off & on the rest of the afternoon and early evening. I watched as he went thru each of the stages. He did everything except take that final breath. Finally around 7pm, I came out to the livingroom and barely got sat down when I turned to see him standing there. I asked if he was ok and he says 'There's some crazy shit going on around here'....yeah, you're telling me. He didn't know or remember anything of the previous several hours. He was then in a semi conscience state for a day or two, then perked up after that and was more animated.....for about a month or so and in this last month, I can see him declining again and sleeping more & more, talking nonsense and doing odd 'projects'. Those odd projects are what Hospice says is 'getting ready' for the end.

I'm not sure if it's been from all the treatments or drugs he's been on all this time, but he has some weird 'moments'...like alzheimers or dementia, or maybe the cancer has reached his brain...…..but life can get interesting around here sometimes. I just tell others I'm married to a zombie...really :04:

Do not wipe out your 401K's if at all possible. It is a short term fix, but you may regret it in the long run. Any state or federal assistance can't/won't make you drain those in order to be eligible for any possible help, I don't think. They didn't require it here in Washington and it might be different where you are, but I don't think it is. Is there a local resource directory? A list of places to call for assistance with different types of needs. Housing, utilities, food/clothing banks, etc. Possibly at the Dr's office??? Does the Dr's office have a patient care coordinator? (not sure about that title, but someone that can help you guys applying for different types of help or benefits available?)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming your wife's short term disability is thru her work??? Does her work also have any other types of benefits she could tap into? She might need to talk with a supervisor or manager or resource or personnel manager??
I do understand the financial stresses.....been there & done that...a few times.
Many charities and some states take all assets into consideration when determining eligibility for assistance. We want to avoid draining what little is left in the IRAs so we'll explore all options first but it might become inevitable.
As it is now we have not met her deductible and already owe $800 for the CT Scan, hate to see what the surgical/hospital portion will be.........
Yes the disability if through her job and she's explored other possible benefits they might have. Today I will be making many phone calls and will most likely visit the local Social Services office for more information and help. A lot of help is contingent on a full diagnosis which we do not have right this minute, that's what the docs are working on now.

In 2014 I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Triple Negative breast cancer...….it was the last thing I ever expected. I tend to dislike and distrust Dr's and didn't want treatment, but had to face my kids, so I agreed to chemo, refused radiation and finally had a lumpectomy to remove the lump.....went back to work until my manager had only scheduled me to work the week of Christmas with no backup and wouldn't sit down to talk with me about it. So I quit a year later (2 years out from initial diagnosis)

Thought better of it and before I could ask for my job back, hubby had been complaining of chest pains and I nagged him to see a Dr. because of a family history of heart problems. They took xrays and found a tumor. More tests showed it was around the bronchial tube at the entrance of the lung and around the aeorta vein to the heart as well as within the upper portion of the lung. Surgery was not an option. We were told he only had 2 months to live by some radiologist that only had the xray & MRI to go by......no blood test results, no biopsy, nothing.

Anyway, he went thru chemo that did help to shrink the tumor, but not enough. He did have radiation and was also given several types of immuno-therapy. We are now over 2 and half years later....until this past August. The Dr said the cancer has grown and spread and there was no more treatment available. He has been oxygen since and a Hospice nurse comes once a week to check on him. Thankfully he's not been bed ridden so it makes it easier for me to care for him at home.

Although a couple of months ago, he did give us all a scare. That morning when I got up, he was awake and alert and we talked for a bit. Then he fell asleep. When the Hospice nurse came, he was unresponsive no matter how we tried to wake him. She called 911 for the paramedics to transfer him from his recliner to the bedroom. Didn't even phase him. She & I tried to prep him for the inevitable and even after rolling him back & forth on the bed to get a cover pad under him, propped pillows around him & covered with blankets all to keep him comfortable as possible.....he still didn't even flinch. She and a Social Worker explained to me the usual steps a patient goes thru so I would know what to expect, including him taking his final breath.. The nurse didn't expect him to live more than a few hours at most.

Our boys (19 & 17) and I sat with him off & on the rest of the afternoon and early evening. I watched as he went thru each of the stages. He did everything except take that final breath. Finally around 7pm, I came out to the livingroom and barely got sat down when I turned to see him standing there. I asked if he was ok and he says 'There's some crazy shit going on around here'....yeah, you're telling me. He didn't know or remember anything of the previous several hours. He was then in a semi conscience state for a day or two, then perked up after that and was more animated.....for about a month or so and in this last month, I can see him declining again and sleeping more & more, talking nonsense and doing odd 'projects'. Those odd projects are what Hospice says is 'getting ready' for the end.

I'm not sure if it's been from all the treatments or drugs he's been on all this time, but he has some weird 'moments'...like alzheimers or dementia, or maybe the cancer has reached his brain...…..but life can get interesting around here sometimes. I just tell others I'm married to a zombie...really :04:

Wow. That's a lot to go through JAN. It is tough caring for someone no longer able to help much with their own care, tough to watch a loved one decline, tough to be scared about someone you love, tough to deal with dementia, tough to deal with your own life threatening issues. Many here in the Coffee Shop can relate. But sometimes it just helps for others to know and the Coffee Shop has been a help with that. And how about you? Have you beaten the cancer or are you still dealing with it? Okay if we put you and hubby on the list?

Gracie just posted in the "Announcements" forum and I don't think she will mind if we also report here:

I finally made it in here, but it will be a short visit. I want to thank all of you for you kindness, generosity and support. I am humbled. MrG and I are gobsmacked at what you guys are doing for us, enough to bring us both to tears when told about it, I kid you not.

It has been a wild and horrible ride and we are still numb from shock, but we are alive! There is so much to tell y'all but it will have to wait until tomorrow. I am exhausted mentally and physically. I am supposed to get a new PC tomorrow, compliments from the lady we rented rooms, since mine is not functional anymore. Once I get it (a laptop she said), I will log on once I figure out windows10, :102:, and update everyone. I wish I could do it now but doing it on this darn phone is making my head pound harder than it already is.

Thank you to Kat, drifter and every person who has helped us...with a donation or just with prayers...it is all so much appreciated and oh so needed.

See you guys tomorrow as soon as that PC is handed to me!

Much love to you all and this board,

Gracie and MrGracie​
If You Can Help

Gracie we hope you will check in here too when you can. We're all pulling for you.

To any who are reading in here for the first time, Gracie & Mr. G were living in Paradise, CA and they, along with so many others, including Drifter's friend's mom, barely got out with their lives and pretty much nothing else. One of our Coffee Shoppers set up a GOFUNDME for them and the generosity and love of USMB members is just awesome. Information is in the thread I linked here.

Wow. That's a lot to go through JAN. It is tough caring for someone no longer able to help much with their own care, tough to watch a loved one decline, tough to be scared about someone you love, tough to deal with dementia, tough to deal with your own life threatening issues. Many here in the Coffee Shop can relate. But sometimes it just helps for others to know and the Coffee Shop has been a help with that. And how about you? Have you beaten the cancer or are you still dealing with it? Okay if we put you and hubby on the list?

Yes that would be appreciated to be on the list.

After my surgery I was declared cancer free. Although from what I could find out about it, the first 5 years post is the most worrisome for reoccurrence. After the 5 year mark, the odds for reoccurrence drop considerably.....I have 1 more year to go.

With hubs cancer, it was hardest in the beginning. The shock was like a being hit with a Mack truck and he didn't want to deal with it and was very angry & bitter. All quite understandable but it did make it more difficult for the rest of us. We all have settled into the day to day of it and have accepted the inevitable and have prepared ourselves for that day......whenever it comes. It will still be hard & difficult, I'm sure, but we're ready as much as can be.

I have found over the years it best to deal with lifes challenges with humor. Yes there is time for tears, but better if thru a smile and best with a laugh. It cuts those monsters down to managable size.

Hi Coffee Shoppers! Only hear for a short post and will update in Announcements later tonight. Have to go to Red Cross in a few and see about the assistance they can give us cuz we will take whatevwer is offered due to having nothing left now except the car, and a few personal items. Had no clue the whole town would burn down and thought we could go back home but its gone. Who woulda thunk??? Anyway...whole motel is full of Paradise/Magalia folkks and we carpool to martkets and dollar stores, etc. My van is on its last legs so.....who knows.
Anyway, there is much more to tell y'all...just can't do it now.

Hugs and love
Gracie and Mr Gracie.

Forum List

Back