USMB Coffee Shop IV

Mom remains in the hospital. The doctor say she could be paroled tomorrow. The diverticulitis is clearing, but that is the least of our worries. Her blood pressure is dangerously low and her pulse rate has not been higher than 45 beats per minute.

Meanwhile my sister-in-law's 30 year old son reported to the Cleveland Clinic this morning for a hip replacement. He has exymatic arthritis eating away at his bones. Today's operation is on his left hip. Three to five months from now, he will have his right hip replaced. As the salt box says, when it rains it pours.

And he is so young! Hombre is facing that at least in one hip one of these days, but he is a far piece beyond 30.
Best wishes for hombre's surgery that it will bring him comfort and his ability to walk when he is healed, and may you have strength through it all, dear Foxfyre. :huddle:

Sorry in advance for a long post,....

In 2014 I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Triple Negative breast cancer...….it was the last thing I ever expected. I tend to dislike and distrust Dr's and didn't want treatment, but had to face my kids, so I agreed to chemo, refused radiation and finally had a lumpectomy to remove the lump.....went back to work until my manager had only scheduled me to work the week of Christmas with no backup and wouldn't sit down to talk with me about it. So I quit a year later (2 years out from initial diagnosis)

Thought better of it and before I could ask for my job back, hubby had been complaining of chest pains and I nagged him to see a Dr. because of a family history of heart problems. They took xrays and found a tumor. More tests showed it was around the bronchial tube at the entrance of the lung and around the aeorta vein to the heart as well as within the upper portion of the lung. Surgery was not an option. We were told he only had 2 months to live by some radiologist that only had the xray & MRI to go by......no blood test results, no biopsy, nothing.

Anyway, he went thru chemo that did help to shrink the tumor, but not enough. He did have radiation and was also given several types of immuno-therapy. We are now over 2 and half years later....until this past August. The Dr said the cancer has grown and spread and there was no more treatment available. He has been oxygen since and a Hospice nurse comes once a week to check on him. Thankfully he's not been bed ridden so it makes it easier for me to care for him at home.

Although a couple of months ago, he did give us all a scare. That morning when I got up, he was awake and alert and we talked for a bit. Then he fell asleep. When the Hospice nurse came, he was unresponsive no matter how we tried to wake him. She called 911 for the paramedics to transfer him from his recliner to the bedroom. Didn't even phase him. She & I tried to prep him for the inevitable and even after rolling him back & forth on the bed to get a cover pad under him, propped pillows around him & covered with blankets all to keep him comfortable as possible.....he still didn't even flinch. She and a Social Worker explained to me the usual steps a patient goes thru so I would know what to expect, including him taking his final breath.. The nurse didn't expect him to live more than a few hours at most.

Our boys (19 & 17) and I sat with him off & on the rest of the afternoon and early evening. I watched as he went thru each of the stages. He did everything except take that final breath. Finally around 7pm, I came out to the livingroom and barely got sat down when I turned to see him standing there. I asked if he was ok and he says 'There's some crazy shit going on around here'....yeah, you're telling me. He didn't know or remember anything of the previous several hours. He was then in a semi conscience state for a day or two, then perked up after that and was more animated.....for about a month or so and in this last month, I can see him declining again and sleeping more & more, talking nonsense and doing odd 'projects'. Those odd projects are what Hospice says is 'getting ready' for the end.

I'm not sure if it's been from all the treatments or drugs he's been on all this time, but he has some weird 'moments'...like alzheimers or dementia, or maybe the cancer has reached his brain...…..but life can get interesting around here sometimes. I just tell others I'm married to a zombie...really :04:
Prayers up for your sweetheart and husband, JustAnother. I've been through that kind of stuff, only the details are different, and I lost him 2 years ago. With our family, the crazy stuff was at its peak when he left, so all I could do was that God that he was in a better place, no longer confused or fragmented and without any earthly disabilities. :huddle:

I am sorry for your loss.

Some may think it morbid or cruel, but in some ways death can be a blessing. Saving them from more pain & suffering :smiliehug:

And here's a hug for everyone who has troubles so bad they cannot mention them. :huddle:

My best pal EJ is going in for his third chemo session at the Vet Hospital tomorrow. It took him almost the whole 2 weeks to feel normal again. I hope his test today will prove he is getting better after suffering lung cancer, and that he will be healed in a few weeks after 3 more treatments. :hands:

Good night, all. I spent all morning cutting light colored strips for the next log cabin scraps quilt. I found another two stacks of different prints, so it looks like I'll be cutting another 200 or 300 strips tomorrow. It takes several days to cut strips, another day to cut the correct-sized pieces, and anywhere from 1-5 days to sew the pieces together, depending on whether the squares are monochromatic or a sequence of lights and darks too numerous to mention. By the end of this week, if all goes well, there will be enough strips to make the light side of several quilts. Good night all. Have a wonderful rest of the week.

Sorry in advance for a long post,....

In 2014 I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Triple Negative breast cancer...….it was the last thing I ever expected. I tend to dislike and distrust Dr's and didn't want treatment, but had to face my kids, so I agreed to chemo, refused radiation and finally had a lumpectomy to remove the lump.....went back to work until my manager had only scheduled me to work the week of Christmas with no backup and wouldn't sit down to talk with me about it. So I quit a year later (2 years out from initial diagnosis)

Thought better of it and before I could ask for my job back, hubby had been complaining of chest pains and I nagged him to see a Dr. because of a family history of heart problems. They took xrays and found a tumor. More tests showed it was around the bronchial tube at the entrance of the lung and around the aeorta vein to the heart as well as within the upper portion of the lung. Surgery was not an option. We were told he only had 2 months to live by some radiologist that only had the xray & MRI to go by......no blood test results, no biopsy, nothing.

Anyway, he went thru chemo that did help to shrink the tumor, but not enough. He did have radiation and was also given several types of immuno-therapy. We are now over 2 and half years later....until this past August. The Dr said the cancer has grown and spread and there was no more treatment available. He has been oxygen since and a Hospice nurse comes once a week to check on him. Thankfully he's not been bed ridden so it makes it easier for me to care for him at home.

Although a couple of months ago, he did give us all a scare. That morning when I got up, he was awake and alert and we talked for a bit. Then he fell asleep. When the Hospice nurse came, he was unresponsive no matter how we tried to wake him. She called 911 for the paramedics to transfer him from his recliner to the bedroom. Didn't even phase him. She & I tried to prep him for the inevitable and even after rolling him back & forth on the bed to get a cover pad under him, propped pillows around him & covered with blankets all to keep him comfortable as possible.....he still didn't even flinch. She and a Social Worker explained to me the usual steps a patient goes thru so I would know what to expect, including him taking his final breath.. The nurse didn't expect him to live more than a few hours at most.

Our boys (19 & 17) and I sat with him off & on the rest of the afternoon and early evening. I watched as he went thru each of the stages. He did everything except take that final breath. Finally around 7pm, I came out to the livingroom and barely got sat down when I turned to see him standing there. I asked if he was ok and he says 'There's some crazy shit going on around here'....yeah, you're telling me. He didn't know or remember anything of the previous several hours. He was then in a semi conscience state for a day or two, then perked up after that and was more animated.....for about a month or so and in this last month, I can see him declining again and sleeping more & more, talking nonsense and doing odd 'projects'. Those odd projects are what Hospice says is 'getting ready' for the end.

I'm not sure if it's been from all the treatments or drugs he's been on all this time, but he has some weird 'moments'...like alzheimers or dementia, or maybe the cancer has reached his brain...…..but life can get interesting around here sometimes. I just tell others I'm married to a zombie...really :04:
Prayers up for your sweetheart and husband, JustAnother. I've been through that kind of stuff, only the details are different, and I lost him 2 years ago. With our family, the crazy stuff was at its peak when he left, so all I could do was that God that he was in a better place, no longer confused or fragmented and without any earthly disabilities. :huddle:

I am sorry for your loss.

Some may think it morbid or cruel, but in some ways death can be a blessing. Saving them from more pain & suffering :smiliehug:

Thanks, JustAnother. After the initial shock, I began remembering his never-ending jokefest that started in 1971 and continued on for 44 years of marriage. Now, just thinking of him always brings a smile of the wild and crazy things he'd say and do just to get a laugh, and he was good at it. Little by little his last year, he seemed a little more serious, but I think his dementia had confused him into fearing he couldn't make up a punchline. His losses were hard for him. But he lived such a good and positive life and touched so many people with his cheer, I suspect his task in heaven is to cheer up the angels who watch over us. My guess is he is busier than 10 homeless beavers in a young forest. :)

Mom remains in the hospital. The doctor say she could be paroled tomorrow. The diverticulitis is clearing, but that is the least of our worries. Her blood pressure is dangerously low and her pulse rate has not been higher than 45 beats per minute.

Meanwhile my sister-in-law's 30 year old son reported to the Cleveland Clinic this morning for a hip replacement. He has exymatic arthritis eating away at his bones. Today's operation is on his left hip. Three to five months from now, he will have his right hip replaced. As the salt box says, when it rains it pours.

And he is so young! Hombre is facing that at least in one hip one of these days, but he is a far piece beyond 30.
Best wishes for hombre's surgery that it will bring him comfort and his ability to walk when he is healed, and may you have strength through it all, dear Foxfyre. :huddle:
And here's a hug for everyone who has troubles so bad they cannot mention them. :huddle:

My best pal EJ is going in for his third chemo session at the Vet Hospital tomorrow. It took him almost the whole 2 weeks to feel normal again. I hope his test today will prove he is getting better after suffering lung cancer, and that he will be healed in a few weeks after 3 more treatments. :hands:

Good night, all. I spent all morning cutting light colored strips for the next log cabin scraps quilt. I found another two stacks of different prints, so it looks like I'll be cutting another 200 or 300 strips tomorrow. It takes several days to cut strips, another day to cut the correct-sized pieces, and anywhere from 1-5 days to sew the pieces together, depending on whether the squares are monochromatic or a sequence of lights and darks too numerous to mention. By the end of this week, if all goes well, there will be enough strips to make the light side of several quilts. Good night all. Have a wonderful rest of the week.
Do you quilt on a frame or a hoop?

He won't have it done until the pain can no longer be controlled. Guys are stubborn that way. :) He walks okay though he can't walk as fast or as far as he once did and is somewhat handicapped in other ways, but thanks.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Gracie & Mr. G now homeless again
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Mrs. Ringel and Ringel back in difficult transition, for guidance, and for healing
Montrovant in difficult transition
Nosmo's mom back in the hospital
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.

JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

life-courage-quote-what-a-ship-for.jpg

I no longer quilt for reasons of health. I make the best tops I can and give them to the Charity Bees Chapter of the Tall Pines Quilt Guild that has a lot of very healthy quilters who take mercy on my little contributions for distribution to the poor and downhearted persons in the community who live in wheelchairs, baby quilts for single parent families, fire victims, and once in a while, a wounded warrior. I am blessed that my sisters of the cloth would take pity on me to serve the good Lord who cares for the poor, the lame, the widow, and the fatherless child, according to the scriptures that I read. I am sending my son a quilt top for his first grandchild and he has agreed to quilt it.

ok I gotta share...…...last month one of my pullets went broody on some eggs and the other day they started hatching. Here is a pic of 2 of the 3 chicks she has now. (I've tried to get another pic of all 3, but she's not cooperating :laugh:)

View attachment 228608

There's nothing cuter than baby chicks.

Yea there is, there are yellow lovebirds. Like the one hanging on my glasses frame in my avatar. She was like a chick but much smarter.

Yesterday we went back to the oncologist, looked at the CT Scan and discussed options and the current "plan of attack", things are really starting to move now. The wife has an appointment with the Urologist (mass on left kidney) and has a consult appointment with an oncologist at the UNM caner center in Albuquerque at the end of the month. A case manager with the Patient Advocate Foundation called me back, they help find local programs/charities to assist and will negotiate with medical facilities/Dr's offices for reduced out of pocket expenses. Still waiting to hear back from the American Cancer Society on any help they can bring to bear.

Yesterday we went back to the oncologist, looked at the CT Scan and discussed options and the current "plan of attack", things are really starting to move now. The wife has an appointment with the Urologist (mass on left kidney) and has a consult appointment with an oncologist at the UNM caner center in Albuquerque at the end of the month. A case manager with the Patient Advocate Foundation called me back, they help find local programs/charities to assist and will negotiate with medical facilities/Dr's offices for reduced out of pocket expenses. Still waiting to hear back from the American Cancer Society on any help they can bring to bear.

We are now watching a show called 'The Dr's' and they were just talking that Dr's & Hospitals can charge you whatever they want for services and it can be different from one patient to another. But they were also talking about how some hospitals are now asking patients to sign papers that equate to a loan BEFORE treatment, to ensure they get their money for services and it doesn't even list what it's for, so they can add whatever charges they want at a later time.
There was also a Patient Advocate that said to NOT sign the forms until after treatment, when everyone is better and can think with a clearer mind. IOW, the providers are taking advantage of being vulnerable to get patients to sign a blank check (loan papers). The PA said patients do have the right to refuse signing and the hospital or provider still has to provide treatment.

We've never experienced this happening but the show was saying it is becoming more & more common. I had thought of you & your wife, being in such circumstances as you are and soon will be, that you guys need to know your patient rights....just in case you guys are hit with something like this. Also, any bills that you guys are charged for that the insurance doesn't cover...….ask for and double check an itemized list of charges for services performed or supplies used, etc. You do have that right to know just what you are being charged for and expected to pay.,...….if you have any question or doubt of any charges, you can fight/appeal it.

I think some posters on USMB are discovering what we in the Coffee Shop have known for a long time. There are good people on this board and they walk the talk. You can see it with Ringel's support and Gracie's.

I think some posters on USMB are discovering what we in the Coffee Shop have known for a long time. There are good people on this board and they walk the talk. You can see it with Ringel's support and Gracie's.

Agree. Even some who seem to go out of their way to be as nasty and mean as they can show some real class and humanity when the chips are down.

Hey, you tell anyone and half of you will be guitar strings and the other half will be chop suey :1peleas:

I deny everything

:04:

Agree. Even some who seem to go out of their way to be as nasty and mean as they can show some real class and humanity when the chips are down.

Hey, keep me out of it.

We are now watching a show called 'The Dr's' and they were just talking that Dr's & Hospitals can charge you whatever they want for services and it can be different from one patient to another. But they were also talking about how some hospitals are now asking patients to sign papers that equate to a loan BEFORE treatment, to ensure they get their money for services and it doesn't even list what it's for, so they can add whatever charges they want at a later time.
There was also a Patient Advocate that said to NOT sign the forms until after treatment, when everyone is better and can think with a clearer mind. IOW, the providers are taking advantage of being vulnerable to get patients to sign a blank check (loan papers). The PA said patients do have the right to refuse signing and the hospital or provider still has to provide treatment.

We've never experienced this happening but the show was saying it is becoming more & more common. I had thought of you & your wife, being in such circumstances as you are and soon will be, that you guys need to know your patient rights....just in case you guys are hit with something like this. Also, any bills that you guys are charged for that the insurance doesn't cover...….ask for and double check an itemized list of charges for services performed or supplies used, etc. You do have that right to know just what you are being charged for and expected to pay.,...….if you have any question or doubt of any charges, you can fight/appeal it.

Also something I forgot to mention...…..any charges passed to you can be negotiated and are not set in stone, but go to the Patient Advocate first and maybe they can help you with that as well.....I think most hospitals do have a PA of their own

Forum List

Back