USMB Coffee Shop IV

I learned quickly to split open a large plastic trash bag, leave the wipers up (turn vehicle off with the wipers in the highest position) and place the bag on the windshield with the wipers holding it in place. The other, most effective method was to start the vehicle, turn the defrost on high then wait till the windows were defrosted/deiced. Pretty simple........

In a Kansas ice storm though the ice can quickly become so very thick that it takes the defrosters forever to de-ice the windsheild. So if we didn't want to wait it out and burn up a quarter tank of gasoline to make that happen out comes the chisel and scrapers. You're running the defrosters too so it doesn't refreeze.

I am not looking forward to snow at all. I hate the way I drive in it. LOL
Do you have a 4 wheel drive?

I have a Corolla.
Not 4 wheel drive then. Ever had one?

I don't think so. My boyfriend wants to buy me a different car but he doesn't like the way I treat my current one so he keeps waffling about it.

Okay, now I have access to a regular desktop and can write better...
An update on Gracie, Mr. G. and their roommate. They are currently resident in a motel in Redding. Chico was too close for comfort, so they moved on up the road for now. They managed to get out with basically the clothes on their backs, two cats and a dog, and their car. Gracie seemed in fairly good spirits when I talked with her yesterday afternoon, much better than I would be in similar circumstances. It would be difficult not to be glad to be alive. Of course, she doesn't have much access to update her status personally, but I'm sure she'll be back as soon as she can. Let's all keep her and hers in our thoughts, prayers, and best hopes. She's been through many hells these past couple of years.

I don't know her, yet, but wish her and her family all that's good. Cannot even imagine escaping for your life and losing everything. How terrifying to be in the middle of that.

In a Kansas ice storm though the ice can quickly become so very thick that it takes the defrosters forever to de-ice the windsheild. So if we didn't want to wait it out and burn up a quarter tank of gasoline to make that happen out comes the chisel and scrapers. You're running the defrosters too so it doesn't refreeze.

I have a Corolla.

I don't think so. My boyfriend wants to buy me a different car but he doesn't like the way I treat my current one so he keeps waffling about it.
Well... bummer... but ya you do have to take care of your vehicle.

The only reason I asked was because a 4 wheel drive is substantially better in snow than a 2 wheel drive. Older drivers already know this. I'm assuming you're a younger driver.

I have a Corolla.

The only reason I asked was because a 4 wheel drive is substantially better in snow than a 2 wheel drive. Older drivers already know this. I'm assuming you're a younger driver.

That's why we love our AWD Subarus. They are so well balanced on all four wheels and you don't have to worry about when it is advisable to switch over to 4-wheel drive because the AWD is on all the time. And it tracks beautifully in the snow, sand, mud, or uneven terrain, does as well as any vehicle on ice, is far less likely to hydroplane in heavy rain. I might be a mite biased of course since we are driving our 7th Subaru but every time we think we might try a different make, we keep coming back to them.

Another Yooper? Welcome!!

Thanks! We're near MQT, whereabouts are you? Got snow?

I was just thinking. I once worked for an Episcopal Diocese full time and part time for the National Episcopal Church--I am not Episcopalian but know the denomination well--and was at frequent gatherings with the Episcopal Bishop headquartered in Marquette. The way he described winter weather there, I imagine you are politely snickering at our accounts of winter weather down here closer to the southern border. :)

Laugh it up...I have to work in it so I could do with at least 2 more weeks of higher temps before reality hits
BarrenDisfiguredFieldmouse-size_restricted.gif

It would be funnier if that wasn't Hombre or me so many times. Especially in north central Kansas.
I learned quickly to split open a large plastic trash bag, leave the wipers up (turn vehicle off with the wipers in the highest position) and place the bag on the windshield with the wipers holding it in place. The other, most effective method was to start the vehicle, turn the defrost on high then wait till the windows were defrosted/deiced. Pretty simple........

If I lived where you live I wouldn't even THINK about not having AWD or 4-wheel-drive. In fact I wouldn't consider not having it where I live and we have pretty mild winters here.

I have a Corolla.

That's why we love our AWD Subarus. They are so well balanced on all four wheels and you don't have to worry about when it is advisable to switch over to 4-wheel drive because the AWD is on all the time. And it tracks beautifully in the snow, sand, mud, or uneven terrain, does as well as any vehicle on ice, is far less likely to hydroplane in heavy rain. I might be a mite biased of course since we are driving our 7th Subaru but every time we think we might try a different make, we keep coming back to them.
I had an old 1974, 1/2 ton Chevy pickup that was full time 4 wheel drive. The only difference in the transfer case was between the all time 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive LOCK, that locked the front and rear axles together to turn as one, no slip. Of course there was also low range. I also noticed driving that old truck that when I'd hit a puddle of water on the road during rain, it wouldn't pull to one side or another like a 2 wheel drive would, it went dead straight ahead. Yeah any full time 4 wheel drive has a major advantage over 2 wheel drive in my opinion.

I'm glad you've had such great luck with your Subaru's Ff. I think they're good vehicles as well. I just love my Chevy's. I've always been a truck guy too. I've owned twice as many trucks as cars in my life. I have two trucks now, if you count the Suburban as a truck. It's a truck underneath. Same 1/2 frame and running gear as a pickup, except the Suburban has coil springs in the rear instead of leafs for a smoother ride.

I have a Corolla.

No, I'm not young but my step-dad or boyfriend takes care of car things for me. I am just not much of a driver, I try to avoid it when I can. When I was young I had 2 accidents 3 weeks apart from each other and one was a head-on collision. After that, I developed a fear of driving. I am kind of neurotic as you may have gathered. Luckily I have the best step-dad and best boyfriend in the world.

It would be funnier if that wasn't Hombre or me so many times. Especially in north central Kansas.

If I lived where you live I wouldn't even THINK about not having AWD or 4-wheel-drive. In fact I wouldn't consider not having it where I live and we have pretty mild winters here.

I lived in Casper Wyoming for a few years, now that's SNOW! :lol:

I have a Corolla.

No, I'm not young but my step-dad or boyfriend takes care of car things for me. I am just not much of a driver, I try to avoid it when I can. When I was young I had 2 accidents 3 weeks apart from each other and one was a head-on collision. After that, I developed a fear of driving. I am kind of neurotic as you may have gathered. Luckily I have the best step-dad and best boyfriend in the world.
Eeee-gads... sorry to hear that. Yeah I've piled a couple up myself, but I never lost my fear of driving. But then I'm an incurable gear head hotrod. I did a couple dumb things and paid the price. I just didn't do those same dumb things anymore, like drink and drive. We're talking 40 years ago.

Sure glad you have support when it comes to cars too, so you don't fall prey to the unscrupulous types all too ready to take advantage of people that know nothing about cars.

I have a Corolla.

Eeee-gads... sorry to hear that. Yeah I've piled a couple up myself, but I never lost my fear of driving. But then I'm an incurable gear head hotrod. I did a couple dumb things and paid the price. I just didn't do those same dumb things anymore, like drink and drive. We're talking 40 years ago.

Sure glad you have support when it comes to cars too, so you don't fall prey to the unscrupulous types all too ready to take advantage of people that know nothing about cars.

My stepdad is a car hobbyist and builds hot rods. They both love cars and stuff. I'm glad you don't drink and drive. I would take UBER before driving intoxicated myself.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

My stepdad is a car hobbyist and builds hot rods. They both love cars and stuff. I'm glad you don't drink and drive. I would take UBER before driving intoxicated myself.
Yeah we thought nothing of it decades ago. We'd drink WHILE driving. Things have surely changed though. I wouldn't even think of it now.

I just ordered a small pizza from the restaurant across the bridge here in Podunk, WI, and as I drove though town, this being Saturday night, decades ago the bars would have been PACKED! Now, there's just a couple cars downtown, and I'm sure even those are people eating because the bars do double as a restaurant.

I've been a hotrod all my life too. Had a few nice cars. Just bought a brand new 2017 2SS Camaro. I couldn't resist having ONE MORE.

Yeah we thought nothing of it decades ago. We'd drink WHILE driving. Things have surely changed though. I wouldn't even think of it now.

I just ordered a small pizza from the restaurant across the bridge here in Podunk, WI, and as I drove though town, this being Saturday night, decades ago the bars would have been PACKED! Now, there's just a couple cars downtown, and I'm sure even those are people eating because the bars do double as a restaurant.

I've been a hotrod all my life too. Had a few nice cars. Just bought a brand new 2017 2SS Camaro. I couldn't resist having ONE MORE.

Wisconsin is sure pretty in pictures. I have ancestors from Neenah Wisconsin but I've never been there.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Wisconsin is sure pretty in pictures. I have ancestors from Neenah Wisconsin but I've never been there.
Yes Wisconsin is very pretty. We have a great lake on the east side of the state, a great lake to the north, and the Mississippi river on the east border. We have huge forests, lakes, streams, rivers, farms, anything that isn't paved, which is very little, is green. People don't like to come here though because it can get cold in the winter, I mean real cold, 20 or 30 below, even 40 below. It's the home of my ancestors going back to my great, great grandparents though, so it's home to me. I've lived many other places but I always come back here. Don't plan on moving again now. I love small towns too, and when you've been in one as long as I have here, you get to know just about everybody. I think it's cool. I even know lots of people in other little towns near here. I can go just about anywhere and run into someone I know. I never could do that in a big city. I lived in Vegas, Phoenix, Tampa to name a few, and it was a cool experience, but it was never home to me. I can't stand cities now, I actually despise them.

Last edited:

Ah, the good old days! Your comment made me laugh because it reminded me of my best friend in nursing school. One frigid morning we were stuck in gridlocked traffic on a highway on our way to our clinical rotation for the day. She announced in her lovely Russian accent: "You Americans, so stuffy! In Russia we now would have our vodka with our coffee. No cold, no eyeballs freezing, just warm! Here to jail you go for keeping warm." Following the severe stinkeye from me, she then announced: "Well we are stuck here freezing. Let us do our Kegels so husbands be happy!"

Yes Wisconsin is very pretty. We have a great lake on the east side of the state, a great lake to the north, and the Mississippi river on the east border. We have huge forests, lakes, streams, rivers, farms, anything that isn't paved, which is very little, is green. People don't like to come here though because it can get cold in the winter, I mean real cold, 20 or 30 below, even 40 below. It's the home of my ancestors going back to my great, great grandparents though, so it's home to me. I've lived many other places but I always come back here. Don't plan on moving again now. I love small towns too, and when you've been in one as long as I have here, you get to know just about everybody. I think it's cool. I even know lots of people in other little towns near here. I can go just about anywhere and run into someone I know. I never could do that in a big city. I lived in Vegas, Phoenix, Tamps to name a few, and it was a cool experience, but it was never home to me. I can't stand cities now, I actually despise them.

I lived in Vegas and Phoenix too. I'm in Utah right now but was born in Missouri. Yeah I would love to sight see Wisconsin in the spring or summertime, I bet its just magical.

Forum List

Back