USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay, now I have access to a regular desktop and can write better...
An update on Gracie, Mr. G. and their roommate. They are currently resident in a motel in Redding. Chico was too close for comfort, so they moved on up the road for now. They managed to get out with basically the clothes on their backs, two cats and a dog, and their car. Gracie seemed in fairly good spirits when I talked with her yesterday afternoon, much better than I would be in similar circumstances. It would be difficult not to be glad to be alive. Of course, she doesn't have much access to update her status personally, but I'm sure she'll be back as soon as she can. Let's all keep her and hers in our thoughts, prayers, and best hopes. She's been through many hells these past couple of years.

I apologize for not reading all 5,724 pages before posting. This looks like a pleasant thread. Hope you don't mind someone just barging in rudely, dripping snow everywhere.

So happy to have you Aurora Woman. Both to USMB and the Coffee Shop. And just consider this your neighborhood coffee shop/bar hang out place. Most of us just pick up the conversation when we come in--might read back a page but certainly not very far back.

Is the Aurora in Colorado? It is snowing there already?

Anyhow this is the place to come to just hang out, enjoy the really eclectic but terrific bunch of people who haunt this place, decompress or just gird yourself for the sometimes pretty contentious stuff out there on the rest of the board.

First timers receive a complimentary beverage:

th

Why thank you! That looks delicious! I'm being somewhat reticent for a while here (in general) till I get to know the personalities. Plus political discussion boards in general have gotten so UGLY in the last few years that I'm reluctant to get immersed again, because the stupid burns so bad. And then there are the sicko stalkers.... but let us not speak of that this evening.

The "Aurora" part of my screen-name comes from my love of the Northern Lights, not the lovely Colorado city... thanks for asking! We live in the UP of MI and yes -- it IS snowing here: We're under a winter storm warning for tonight, in fact. Ah yes.......... ;~)

Some of my aurora photos here, if you'd be so kind to take a look.
2017 - 2018 Aurora Photos
Another Yooper? Welcome!!

I apologize for not reading all 5,724 pages before posting. This looks like a pleasant thread. Hope you don't mind someone just barging in rudely, dripping snow everywhere.

So happy to have you Aurora Woman. Both to USMB and the Coffee Shop. And just consider this your neighborhood coffee shop/bar hang out place. Most of us just pick up the conversation when we come in--might read back a page but certainly not very far back.

Is the Aurora in Colorado? It is snowing there already?

Anyhow this is the place to come to just hang out, enjoy the really eclectic but terrific bunch of people who haunt this place, decompress or just gird yourself for the sometimes pretty contentious stuff out there on the rest of the board.

First timers receive a complimentary beverage:

th

Why thank you! That looks delicious! I'm being somewhat reticent for a while here (in general) till I get to know the personalities. Plus political discussion boards in general have gotten so UGLY in the last few years that I'm reluctant to get immersed again, because the stupid burns so bad. And then there are the sicko stalkers.... but let us not speak of that this evening.

The "Aurora" part of my screen-name comes from my love of the Northern Lights, not the lovely Colorado city... thanks for asking! We live in the UP of MI and yes -- it IS snowing here: We're under a winter storm warning for tonight, in fact. Ah yes.......... ;~)

Some of my aurora photos here, if you'd be so kind to take a look.
2017 - 2018 Aurora Photos

Wow beautiful!! Something I've never seen. When we went to Alaska I had several things on my bucket list that I wanted to see and managed everything except I never saw a moose in the wild and no aurora borealis--too overcast to see it if it would have happened when we were there.

I imagine snow is no big deal where you are but we are praying for it here so our ski resorts can have a good long season.
Best place to see moose is right around the big airport in Anchorage...or on the dinner table.

LOL. You are the only person I know who sees moose as a food staple. :) We did fly into Anchorage but alas no moose.

An update on Gracie, Mr. G. and their roommate. They are currently resident in a motel in Redding. Chico was too close for comfort, so they moved on up the road for now. They managed to get out with basically the clothes on their backs, two cats and a dog, and their car. Gracie seemed in fairly good spirits when I talked with her yesterday afternoon, much better than I would be in similar circumstances. It would be difficult not to be glad to be alive. Of course, she doesn't have much access to update her status personally, but I'm sure she'll be back as soon as she can. Let's all keep her and hers in our thoughts, prayers, and best hopes. She's been through many hells these past couple of years.

Bless her heart. The two cats and the dog are no doubt her former landlord's and Gracie probably grabbed them on the way out. Both she and Dennis had vans--they only got out with one of them? Or maybe neither and are in the landlord's car? Drifter mentioned a van though so. . . .

Anyhow so glad they are safe. I hope she will be able to communicate with us all soon.

Bless her heart. The two cats and the dog are no doubt her former landlord's and Gracie probably grabbed them on the way out. Both she and Dennis had vans--they only got out with one of them? Or maybe neither and are in the landlord's car? Drifter mentioned a van though so. . . .

Anyhow so glad they are safe. I hope she will be able to communicate with us all soon.

No, I believe they got both vehicles out and the land lady, too.

They were all in the van. The landlord got the room last night but they have to be out by Monday it's a motel 6. All of the shelters are full at this time. I did give her the 211 United Way number to try and see if there are other places for temp help. But the wholetown basically bunred down.

Kat posted a link to a gofundme page for Gracie in the announcement section. Even $5 bucks feeds the cats, dog or Gracie.

I start a second job Monday and won't be on a lot so Kat is the go to person on the Gracie fund page.Obviously we are all in different shape financially so if you can't donate that's ok. We know everyone is sending prayers and love and that is Powerful too!

Evacuation Shelter Information:
If assistance is needed in evacuating, call 9-1-1.

Butte County > Home

Whelp, winter is official. It's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra up here now. At least with the ground frozen the poor goats aren't belly deep in mud any more. I've put piles of straw in their sleeping places to help keep them warm. Now I have to see what I can do for the fowl.
I hope all of you are doing well as the Fall season winds down and we slip into a more monochromatic winter mode.
Kinda warm yet for November here in Podunk, Wisconsin, raining today, and even though we have surely had one ultra wet year, I'm glad it's not snow though, I don't have the snowblower on the JD yet.
Definitely been ultra wet here, too. But last weekend it snapped cold. Funny thing is, where I am, no snow yet. Lower elevations have gotten enough snow to plow and bitch.
I boiled up a couple of gallons of water and added that to the fresh well water. Goats seemed to appreciate the warmer water. I'll boil another couple of gallons and add that to the ice in their buckets before I go to work. I've found some of my old packing/guiding stuff that lets me heat up the buckets and discard soiled water before providing cleaner stuff. The chickens/turkeys love it when I run the well because they drink up as much of the puddles as they can. Winter is always hard on an off-grid homestead. I'll make it this year, too
Turned cold here too, pard. Winter is here. We're actually 10 to 15 degrees colder than normal.

Got the snowblower, weights and chains on the John Deere so, I'm ready... let it snow. No more FROSTY THE SNOWMAN for me with the cab now.

Whelp, winter is official. It's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra up here now. At least with the ground frozen the poor goats aren't belly deep in mud any more. I've put piles of straw in their sleeping places to help keep them warm. Now I have to see what I can do for the fowl.
I hope all of you are doing well as the Fall season winds down and we slip into a more monochromatic winter mode.
Kinda warm yet for November here in Podunk, Wisconsin, raining today, and even though we have surely had one ultra wet year, I'm glad it's not snow though, I don't have the snowblower on the JD yet.
Definitely been ultra wet here, too. But last weekend it snapped cold. Funny thing is, where I am, no snow yet. Lower elevations have gotten enough snow to plow and bitch.
I boiled up a couple of gallons of water and added that to the fresh well water. Goats seemed to appreciate the warmer water. I'll boil another couple of gallons and add that to the ice in their buckets before I go to work. I've found some of my old packing/guiding stuff that lets me heat up the buckets and discard soiled water before providing cleaner stuff. The chickens/turkeys love it when I run the well because they drink up as much of the puddles as they can. Winter is always hard on an off-grid homestead. I'll make it this year, too
Turned cold here too, pard. Winter is here. We're actually 10 to 15 degrees colder than normal.

Got the snowblower, weights and chains on the John Deere so, I'm ready... let it snow. No more FROSTY THE SNOWMAN for me with the cab now.
NO,,NO,,,,,NNOOOOOO

NO,,NO,,,,,NNOOOOOO
I wish it worked that way... :lol:

Put 2 grand thru wash machine this morning after I forgot to mty pockets last nite. I have the cleanest money in town and its april fresh

NO,,NO,,,,,NNOOOOOO
Laugh it up...I have to work in it so I could do with at least 2 more weeks of higher temps before reality hits

They were all in the van. The landlord got the room last night but they have to be out by Monday it's a motel 6. All of the shelters are full at this time. I did give her the 211 United Way number to try and see if there are other places for temp help. But the wholetown basically bunred down.

Kat posted a link to a gofundme page for Gracie in the announcement section. Even $5 bucks feeds the cats, dog or Gracie.

I start a second job Monday and won't be on a lot so Kat is the go to person on the Gracie fund page.Obviously we are all in different shape financially so if you can't donate that's ok. We know everyone is sending prayers and love and that is Powerful too!
They were lucky to get out, apparently the fire swept through the town very rapidly, six people were trapped in their cars in town and died.

The first snow flew around in the air last night, some of it lasting long enough on lawns and shady driveways until the feeble November sun managed to melt it away. Nonetheless it was a not too subtle warning that winter is just around the corner. Not that the lack of daylight since last weekend wasn't warning enough.

Movie Night went well. A half dozen folks showed up to watch In a Lonely Place. I talked about the movie, even juicy tidbits like the relationship between the female lead (Gloria Grahame) and the movie's director, Nicholas Ray.

They were married back in 1950 when the movie was released. But not long after the premiere, Mr. Ray found Ms. Grahame in bed with his son from a previous marriage. By the way, Mr. Ray's son was 13 years old at the time.

Wednesday night will be a bumpy night with Bette Davis in All About Eve.

Stay tuned for more juicy tidbits about that one!

Thanks Drifter. I hope your new job is everything you hope for.

NO,,NO,,,,,NNOOOOOO
Laugh it up...I have to work in it so I could do with at least 2 more weeks of higher temps before reality hits

Been there, done that, trashed the T shirt already MOTS. But sometimes we just have to laugh to keep from crying.

Forum List

Back