USMB Coffee Shop IV

Kinda warm yet for November here in Podunk, Wisconsin, raining today, and even though we have surely had one ultra wet year, I'm glad it's not snow though, I don't have the snowblower on the JD yet.
Definitely been ultra wet here, too. But last weekend it snapped cold. Funny thing is, where I am, no snow yet. Lower elevations have gotten enough snow to plow and bitch.
I boiled up a couple of gallons of water and added that to the fresh well water. Goats seemed to appreciate the warmer water. I'll boil another couple of gallons and add that to the ice in their buckets before I go to work. I've found some of my old packing/guiding stuff that lets me heat up the buckets and discard soiled water before providing cleaner stuff. The chickens/turkeys love it when I run the well because they drink up as much of the puddles as they can. Winter is always hard on an off-grid homestead. I'll make it this year, too
Turned cold here too, pard. Winter is here. We're actually 10 to 15 degrees colder than normal.

Got the snowblower, weights and chains on the John Deere so, I'm ready... let it snow. No more FROSTY THE SNOWMAN for me with the cab now.
NO,,NO,,,,,NNOOOOOO
I wish it worked that way... :lol:
Laugh it up...I have to work in it so I could do with at least 2 more weeks of higher temps before reality hits
BarrenDisfiguredFieldmouse-size_restricted.gif

Okay, now I have access to a regular desktop and can write better...
An update on Gracie, Mr. G. and their roommate. They are currently resident in a motel in Redding. Chico was too close for comfort, so they moved on up the road for now. They managed to get out with basically the clothes on their backs, two cats and a dog, and their car. Gracie seemed in fairly good spirits when I talked with her yesterday afternoon, much better than I would be in similar circumstances. It would be difficult not to be glad to be alive. Of course, she doesn't have much access to update her status personally, but I'm sure she'll be back as soon as she can. Let's all keep her and hers in our thoughts, prayers, and best hopes. She's been through many hells these past couple of years.

Thank You for the info.
At least they are all alive.
I was very worried for them.

Definitely been ultra wet here, too. But last weekend it snapped cold. Funny thing is, where I am, no snow yet. Lower elevations have gotten enough snow to plow and bitch.
I boiled up a couple of gallons of water and added that to the fresh well water. Goats seemed to appreciate the warmer water. I'll boil another couple of gallons and add that to the ice in their buckets before I go to work. I've found some of my old packing/guiding stuff that lets me heat up the buckets and discard soiled water before providing cleaner stuff. The chickens/turkeys love it when I run the well because they drink up as much of the puddles as they can. Winter is always hard on an off-grid homestead. I'll make it this year, too
Turned cold here too, pard. Winter is here. We're actually 10 to 15 degrees colder than normal.

Got the snowblower, weights and chains on the John Deere so, I'm ready... let it snow. No more FROSTY THE SNOWMAN for me with the cab now.
NO,,NO,,,,,NNOOOOOO
Laugh it up...I have to work in it so I could do with at least 2 more weeks of higher temps before reality hits

It would be funnier if that wasn't Hombre or me so many times. Especially in north central Kansas.

NO,,NO,,,,,NNOOOOOO

It would be funnier if that wasn't Hombre or me so many times. Especially in north central Kansas.
I learned quickly to split open a large plastic trash bag, leave the wipers up (turn vehicle off with the wipers in the highest position) and place the bag on the windshield with the wipers holding it in place. The other, most effective method was to start the vehicle, turn the defrost on high then wait till the windows were defrosted/deiced. Pretty simple........

Because we have luncheon & a movie guests every Sunday, I probably won't be on here much tomorrow, but tomorrow is Veteran's Day.

At exactly 11:11 a.m. every Veteran’s Day (Nov. 11), the sun aligns perfectly with the Anthem Veteran’s Memorial in Arizona to shine through the ellipses of the five marble pillars representing each branch of the Armed Forces, illuminating The Great Seal of the United States.

45589492_10213610877135154_5545932651887591424_n.jpg

NO,,NO,,,,,NNOOOOOO

It could be worse........

NO,,NO,,,,,NNOOOOOO

I learned quickly to split open a large plastic trash bag, leave the wipers up (turn vehicle off with the wipers in the highest position) and place the bag on the windshield with the wipers holding it in place. The other, most effective method was to start the vehicle, turn the defrost on high then wait till the windows were defrosted/deiced. Pretty simple........

In a Kansas ice storm though the ice can quickly become so very thick that it takes the defrosters forever to de-ice the windsheild. So if we didn't want to wait it out and burn up a quarter tank of gasoline to make that happen out comes the chisel and scrapers. You're running the defrosters too so it doesn't refreeze.

In a Kansas ice storm though the ice can quickly become so very thick that it takes the defrosters forever to de-ice the windsheild. So if we didn't want to wait it out and burn up a quarter tank of gasoline to make that happen out comes the chisel and scrapers. You're running the defrosters too so it doesn't refreeze.
Had that in NoVA, used the ice scrapers around the edges then just pushed the ice off in one or two sheets.........

NO,,NO,,,,,NNOOOOOO

It could be worse........

But think how good the guy who owned the car will feel when he comes out to witness a random act of kindness,

Had that in NoVA, used the ice scrapers around the edges then just pushed the ice off in one or two sheets.........

We could do that in Dallas which doesn't have harsh winters but can have some major ice storms. But it could be soooooo cold in Kansas by the time we got to the car, the ice was not going to budge without some major effort.

We could do that in Dallas which doesn't have harsh winters but can have some major ice storms. But it could be soooooo cold in Kansas by the time we got to the car, the ice was not going to budge without some major effort.
Never ran into that even out west or on the plains.

Never ran into that even out west or on the plains.

Colorado and New Mexico tend to have dryer snow/ice so ice doesn't doesn't accumulate a great deal. But the snow wasn't dry in Kansas and after you had several hours of freezing rain followed by snow, some of which would melt to join the ice that had already built up, when the blue norther would hit, the temperature would drop 20-30 degrees, and freeze everything rock hard and solid.

Okay, now I have access to a regular desktop and can write better...
An update on Gracie, Mr. G. and their roommate. They are currently resident in a motel in Redding. Chico was too close for comfort, so they moved on up the road for now. They managed to get out with basically the clothes on their backs, two cats and a dog, and their car. Gracie seemed in fairly good spirits when I talked with her yesterday afternoon, much better than I would be in similar circumstances. It would be difficult not to be glad to be alive. Of course, she doesn't have much access to update her status personally, but I'm sure she'll be back as soon as she can. Let's all keep her and hers in our thoughts, prayers, and best hopes. She's been through many hells these past couple of years.

Bless her heart. The two cats and the dog are no doubt her former landlord's and Gracie probably grabbed them on the way out. Both she and Dennis had vans--they only got out with one of them? Or maybe neither and are in the landlord's car? Drifter mentioned a van though so. . . .

Anyhow so glad they are safe. I hope she will be able to communicate with us all soon.

They were all in the van. The landlord got the room last night but they have to be out by Monday it's a motel 6. All of the shelters are full at this time. I did give her the 211 United Way number to try and see if there are other places for temp help. But the wholetown basically bunred down.

Kat posted a link to a gofundme page for Gracie in the announcement section. Even $5 bucks feeds the cats, dog or Gracie.

I start a second job Monday and won't be on a lot so Kat is the go to person on the Gracie fund page.Obviously we are all in different shape financially so if you can't donate that's ok. We know everyone is sending prayers and love and that is Powerful too!

Thanks Drifter. I hope your new job is everything you hope for.

Thanks, I've been working other temp jobs but this is more related to my field I went to school for so that is exciting.

I am not looking forward to snow at all. I hate the way I drive in it. LOL

Kinda warm yet for November here in Podunk, Wisconsin, raining today, and even though we have surely had one ultra wet year, I'm glad it's not snow though, I don't have the snowblower on the JD yet.

NO,,NO,,,,,NNOOOOOO
Of course, I had no idea you worked outside. I'm guilty of not reading pages back.

I worked plenty of construction myself outside in the cold years ago.

Do you have a 4 wheel drive?

I have a Corolla.

I have a Corolla.
Ahhhh, 4 wheel slide........

I have a Corolla.
Not 4 wheel drive then. Ever had one?

Forum List

Back