USMB Coffee Shop IV

DsZIrt4WsAAxWWh.jpg

Here in the southwest the primary material used to be adobe. Basically a mix of clay, sand and straw baked into large bricks then often coated with the same mixture like a stucco.
This is a modern adobe construct.

Looks similar to European construction.

Adobe brick construction is from the Bronze Age in Spain, adobe mud dwellings go back much, much earlier and is one of the earliest know construction materials known to humankind.

I saw some colonial brick houses in Fredricksberg. So I found an historian, and asked him where those bricks came from. He told me the British used them as ballast on their ships, on transatlantic crossings. They dumped them at the side of the river. Subsequently used for building houses.

Yes, those are the least expensive types of asphalt shingles.

I've not seen them on houses.

Don't you have tiles?
Cedar shakes were the norm back in the English colonies in the Americas.

You have a lot of trees in America.
True but we have a lot less than existed 150 years ago. During the colonial era we provided timber and shipbuilding to England and France, Spain too I think.

While I agree with 99% of your observations, I do have one gentle minor bit of disagreement. Due to proactive forest management and replenishment, I believe we have substantially more trees than we had 150 years ago. Certainly more than we had 100 years ago. We aren't in any danger of deforesting ourselves. :)

More trees than there were 100 years ago? It's true!

Yes, those are the least expensive types of asphalt shingles.

Don't you have tiles?

True but we have a lot less than existed 150 years ago. During the colonial era we provided timber and shipbuilding to England and France, Spain too I think.

While I agree with 99% of your observations, I do have one gentle minor bit of disagreement. Due to proactive forest management and replenishment, I believe we have substantially more trees than we had 150 years ago. Certainly more than we had 100 years ago. We aren't in any danger of deforesting ourselves. :)

That's right, I forgot. A ranger in Gettysburg was talking about large amounts of projected cutting to return the park back to it's 1860s look. Sorry.

Don't you have tiles?

That's right, I forgot. A ranger in Gettysburg was talking about large amounts of projected cutting to return the park back to it's 1860s look. Sorry.

LOL. No harm. No foul. A 99.9% accuracy rate really isn't bad you know. :)

I saw loads of others, on modern buildings.
I was being funny. Yes metal roofs are quite prevalent, installed correctly they can last for 60 years or more while asphalt shingles typically last for 30 years..... maybe......
Storm damage to metal roofs can be expensive to repair while storm damage to shingle roofs is typically much cheaper. Metal roofs require a greater degree of expertise to install correctly but also have very low maintenance when properly installed, they's also much more expensive to install.

I don't know what asphalt shingles are. We don't have them.

I like the look of the metal roofs.
You have them but probably call them something else.

asphalt-shingles.jpg

I've never seen anything like that in Europe.
They're not anywhere near as prevalent in Europe as they are in the States but they are used there primarily on secondary structures (sheds, etc), much of it depends on where in Europe you are.
In wooded areas and areas where fires are expected, people get them so if a tall pine on fire has embers, they do not burn through the steel roof to set the rest of the house on fire. As a fringe benefit, about 4 months ago, 5 offshoot twisters in one of our gulf coast storms rampaged between my neighbor's roof, which was destroyed over to my house. Every tree in the vicinity of my home suffered severe breakage, but my heavy metal roof was not damaged. I'm pretty sure there would be what was left of the red shingles everywhere, if it hadn't taken off my roof, too. If it seemed to jump over my roof, it may have tried to tear it up but couldn't because it was attached by roofers who really did a good job of protecting my home. It cost a fifth of what we'd spent on our home and 14 acres, but if it prevented me from replacing shingles every storm we have (about every 4 years), it was worth it. My neighbor spent more money repairing his roof and house than I spent on my roof. So I hear some pings from raindrops. It's kind of all peace of mind now, that I have real protection. I just handn't thought of it as the real reason I didn't have a lot of damages.

Not my house, but the colors are similar

craftsman-type-of-texas-hill-country-home-plan-with-blue-roof.jpg

My house has a couple of centennial trees out front, but you can still see most of the house from the farm road which is about 500 feet from the front door (1/10 mile)

Last edited:
I was being funny. Yes metal roofs are quite prevalent, installed correctly they can last for 60 years or more while asphalt shingles typically last for 30 years..... maybe......
Storm damage to metal roofs can be expensive to repair while storm damage to shingle roofs is typically much cheaper. Metal roofs require a greater degree of expertise to install correctly but also have very low maintenance when properly installed, they's also much more expensive to install.

I don't know what asphalt shingles are. We don't have them.

I like the look of the metal roofs.
You have them but probably call them something else.

asphalt-shingles.jpg

I've never seen anything like that in Europe.
They're not anywhere near as prevalent in Europe as they are in the States but they are used there primarily on secondary structures (sheds, etc), much of it depends on where in Europe you are.
In wooded areas and areas where fires are expected, people get them so if a tall pine on fire has embers, they do not burn through the steel roof to set the rest of the house on fire. As a fringe benefit, about 4 months ago, 5 offshoot twisters in one of our gulf coast storms rampaged between my neighbor's roof, which was destroyed over to my house. Every tree in the vicinity of my home suffered severe breakage, but my heavy metal roof was not damaged. I'm pretty sure there would be what was left of the red shingles everywhere, if it hadn't taken off my roof, too. If it seemed to jump over my roof, it may have tried to tear it up but couldn't because it was attached by roofers who really did a good job of protecting my home. It cost a fifth of what we'd spent on our home and 14 acres, but if it prevented me from replacing shingles every storm we have (about every 4 years), it was worth it. My neighbor spent more money repairing his roof and house than I spent on my roof. So I hear some pings from raindrops. It's kind of all peace of mind now, that I have real protection. I just handn't thought of it as the real reason I didn't have a lot of damages.

Not my house, but the colors are similar

craftsman-type-of-texas-hill-country-home-plan-with-blue-roof.jpg

My house has a couple of centennial trees out front, but you can still see most of the house from the farm road which is about 500 feet from the front door (1/10 mile)

They look attractive too. I couldn't stop staring at them.

Walking along a stretch of the Potomac, which reminded me of a River Thames walk in Berkshire, I was overcome with an overwhelming sense of homesickness. And I feel this has been passed down though the ages since our 'separation'.

Everywhere I go, up and down the north east coast, I see a connection to England.

Walking along a stretch of the Potomac, which reminded me of a River Thames walk in Berkshire, I was overcome with an overwhelming sense of homesickness. And I feel this has been passed down though the ages since our 'separation'.

Everywhere I go, up and down the north east coast, I see a connection to England.

I see a connection to colonialism having never been to England, but I am not surprised a European would see England there. It was, after all, the English who started the whole concept of an America despite the earlier efforts of the Spaniards to create a new Spain here. :)

Are you from England originally Mindful?

I see a connection to colonialism having never been to England, but I am not surprised a European would see England there. It was, after all, the English who started the whole concept of an America despite the earlier efforts of the Spaniards to create a new Spain here. :)

Originally.

Walking down the high street of Alexandria reminds me of England.

Originally.

Walking down the high street of Alexandria reminds me of England.

We love and enjoy our Europeans and Asians and Australians here in the Coffee Shop. I wish we had some representatives from Africa and South America. All in good time I am sure. It does keep us on our toes re vast differences in time zones and sometimes seasons though. :)

We don't call it New England for nothing........ :D
If you haven't already visit Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown then up to Mass to the Plymouth Colony.

I drove for 3 hours today going to Atlanta and back. I need to get a key fob to get access to the hospital system to do a coding project as part of my internship. Unfortunately, I wasn't told that the office would be empty after 5. I got there at about 5:20 and there was no one there. 3 hours of driving, a quarter of a tank of gas, for nothing. I'll have to go back tomorrow. :mad:

Forum List

Back