USMB Coffee Shop IV

I enjoy your posts Beautress. They are lyrical and descriptive.

I seem to be having the best climate at the moment, in central Europe.

One daughter is in Bangkok; 39 Celsius and high humidity.

And one is in the DC suburbs, snow all around.

A tin roof?
"Tin roof" is a moniker for any metal roof which are really made from four different types of materials;
Copper
Aluminum
Zinc
Steel

what are tin roofs made of - Google Search

Leaving some breakfast edibles...

th

th
th

That bear looks as though it knows someone is going to eat it! :lol:

A tin roof?
"Tin roof" is a moniker for any metal roof which are really made from four different types of materials;
Copper
Aluminum
Zinc
Steel

Thanks Ringel.

I saw this type in VA.

middleburg-virginia-19.jpg

A tin roof?
Copper
Aluminum
Zinc
Steel

Thanks Ringel.

I saw this type in VA.

Yup but that building looks to be colonial era and should have a cedar roof.......... To be historically correct that is....... :D

It's just raining cats and dogs here in Walker County. My lake is going to spill over today. It all goes down to the seasonal creek, then makes its way to the San Jacinto waterway, I think. It has rained every day a little or a lot for two months, except we had a couple of days last week where the sun made an appearance. It was stunningly beautiful for two days and a half of the third. Then, drip, drip, drip ….

Well, on the plus side, I'm finishing a lot of quilt tops for the charity team of Walker County, Texas, which meets tomorrow likely for the last time this year.

Welcome to my world here in the Puget Sound of Washington state. While the Eastern part of the state boasts of 300 days of sunshine, we in the Western side complain of 300 days of some type of precipitation...…..anywhere from a wet fog, drizzle, rain or downpours and all in between.

Strangely the last couple of weeks has been cold & freezing overnight and days with plenty of sun and in the 50's......but we're warned it's coming in the next couple of days. Hopefully without windstorms.

A tin roof?
Copper
Aluminum
Zinc
Steel

Thanks Ringel.

I saw this type in VA.

Yup but that building looks to be colonial era and should have a cedar roof.......... To be historically correct that is....... :D

I saw loads of others, on modern buildings.

A tin roof?
Copper
Aluminum
Zinc
Steel

Thanks Ringel.

I saw this type in VA.

I was being funny. Yes metal roofs are quite prevalent, installed correctly they can last for 60 years or more while asphalt shingles typically last for 30 years..... maybe......
Storm damage to metal roofs can be expensive to repair while storm damage to shingle roofs is typically much cheaper. Metal roofs require a greater degree of expertise to install correctly but also have very low maintenance when properly installed, they're also much more expensive to install.

Last edited:

A tin roof?
Copper
Aluminum
Zinc
Steel

Thanks Ringel.

I saw this type in VA.

I was being funny. Yes metal roofs are quite prevalent, installed correctly they can last for 60 years or more while asphalt shingles typically last for 30 years..... maybe......
Storm damage to metal roofs can be expensive to repair while storm damage to shingle roofs is typically much cheaper. Metal roofs require a greater degree of expertise to install correctly but also have very low maintenance when properly installed, they's also much more expensive to install.

I don't know what asphalt shingles are. We don't have them.

I like the look of the metal roofs.

It's just raining cats and dogs here in Walker County. My lake is going to spill over today. It all goes down to the seasonal creek, then makes its way to the San Jacinto waterway, I think. It has rained every day a little or a lot for two months, except we had a couple of days last week where the sun made an appearance. It was stunningly beautiful for two days and a half of the third. Then, drip, drip, drip ….

Well, on the plus side, I'm finishing a lot of quilt tops for the charity team of Walker County, Texas, which meets tomorrow likely for the last time this year.

Hugs a plenty .. Lady Beautress ... :smiliehug:

I'm just a lump on the couch watching Fox News and considering being a putz, politically speaking..
Thanks, Lumpy. I noticed you were here this morning & glad to see you up and at 'em so early. My cat woke me up. I don't think she cares for the pitter patter of rain on a tin roof. Fixed a cuppa joe and just finished it off. Rainey days are better when you see good old friends in Foxy's Lounge..
:coffee:

I like rainy days but there is a limit. Our nights are in 20's of late and I operate far better in the 60 to 80 range, I'm just too skinny for the 20's.. :lol:

I'm a night owl but I just poke around here every once in a while. I'm glad that you're around again, it inspires me to want to post again..

At this stage of my life, I am with you--somewhere in the 70's is perfect. I feel the cold much more now than I did when I was younger. I can't attribute that to being too skinny though. :)

Last edited:

A tin roof?
Thanks for kind words, Mindful. Glad you're having good weather, and so far away, too!
About our metal roof, we were having such an overheated drought here that was so severe I was worried a tall pines fire would cause us grief, so I replaced the old red asbestos one with a blue tin roof. But the rain takes some getting used to because it amplifies the sound of falling rain. That isn't such a bad thing in warmer weather than now.

I noticed those metal roofs in Northern Virginia. I thought they looked attractive. Everything is tiled in Europe.

Hi Mindful. Welcome back to the Coffee Shop. Are you living in central Europe or vacationing there?And I thought my kids were scattered all over. It's neat you have a daughter living in Bangkok though. That is one country I have always wanted to visit, and the city itself seems to be especially beautiful and interesting.

The azure blue color of the roof made the house look 100 times better, but really, it was just a measure to save the house in case of fire. We had almost 90 days of temperatures over 100F, most were a lot hotter. The final month, there were fires igniting all over central Texas, and here in the tall piney woods I counted 7 distant fires one of those really hot days that were off in the distance. It was an awful year. One town just burned up. Bastrop, I think.

th

Wow. We are used to dealing with fire season here in the mountain states, but our area is semi-arid to arid so wildfires are inevitable from time to time. As wet as southeast Texas is, you wouldn't think of you having wildfire problems.

A tin roof?
Thanks for kind words, Mindful. Glad you're having good weather, and so far away, too!
About our metal roof, we were having such an overheated drought here that was so severe I was worried a tall pines fire would cause us grief, so I replaced the old red asbestos one with a blue tin roof. But the rain takes some getting used to because it amplifies the sound of falling rain. That isn't such a bad thing in warmer weather than now.

I noticed those metal roofs in Northern Virginia. I thought they looked attractive. Everything is tiled in Europe.

Hi Mindful. Welcome back to the Coffee Shop. Are you living in central Europe or vacationing there?And I thought my kids were scattered all over. It's neat you have a daughter living in Bangkok though. That is one country I have always wanted to visit, and the city itself seems to be especially beautiful and interesting.

She moved up to Chiang Mai today.

Copper
Aluminum
Zinc
Steel

Thanks Ringel.

I saw this type in VA.

Storm damage to metal roofs can be expensive to repair while storm damage to shingle roofs is typically much cheaper. Metal roofs require a greater degree of expertise to install correctly but also have very low maintenance when properly installed, they's also much more expensive to install.

You have them but probably call them something else.

asphalt-shingles.jpg

Thanks Ringel.

I saw this type in VA.

asphalt-shingles.jpg

I've never seen anything like that in Europe.

asphalt-shingles.jpg

They're not anywhere near as prevalent in Europe as they are in the States but they are used there primarily on secondary structures (sheds, etc), much of it depends on where in Europe you are.

asphalt-shingles.jpg

They're not anywhere near as prevalent in Europe as they are in the States but they are used there primarily on secondary structures (sheds, etc), much of it depends on where in Europe you are.

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg

asphalt-shingles.jpg

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg
That's an asphalt sheet. Here they're mostly used on very shallow roof slopes and small utility buildings.

asphalt-shingles.jpg

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg
That's an asphalt sheet. Here they're mostly used on very shallow roof slopes and small utility buildings.

This?

hqdefault.jpg

asphalt-shingles.jpg

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg

This?

hqdefault.jpg
Yes, those are the least expensive types of asphalt shingles.

Forum List

Back