USMB Coffee Shop IV

I've never seen anything like that in Europe.
They're not anywhere near as prevalent in Europe as they are in the States but they are used there primarily on secondary structures (sheds, etc), much of it depends on where in Europe you are.

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg
That's an asphalt sheet. Here they're mostly used on very shallow roof slopes and small utility buildings.

This?

hqdefault.jpg
Yes, those are the least expensive types of asphalt shingles.

I've not seen them on houses.

Don't you have tiles?

They're not anywhere near as prevalent in Europe as they are in the States but they are used there primarily on secondary structures (sheds, etc), much of it depends on where in Europe you are.

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg
That's an asphalt sheet. Here they're mostly used on very shallow roof slopes and small utility buildings.

This?

hqdefault.jpg

Don't you have tiles?

We do, especially in parts of the country that don't get large hail, but the asphalt shingles do provide a very serviceable and long lived roof at an affordable cost. The metal roofs are becoming more popular--they cost more but require less maintenance and they last longer. High value home very often have wood shake shingles for their aesthetic beauty. They are expensive though and high maintenance.

western-red-cedar-roofing-calfinder.jpg

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg

This?

hqdefault.jpg

Don't you have tiles?

We do, especially in parts of the country that don't get large hail, but the asphalt shingles do provide a very serviceable and long lived roof at an affordable cost. The metal roofs are becoming more popular--they cost more but require less maintenance--and they last longer. High value home very often have wood shake shingles for their aesthetic beauty. They are expensive though and high maintenance.

Wood shake shingles? Not noticed those either.

This?

hqdefault.jpg

Don't you have tiles?

We do, especially in parts of the country that don't get large hail, but the asphalt shingles do provide a very serviceable and long lived roof at an affordable cost. The metal roofs are becoming more popular--they cost more but require less maintenance--and they last longer. High value home very often have wood shake shingles for their aesthetic beauty. They are expensive though and high maintenance.

Wood shake shingles? Not noticed those either.

They are very common in many parts of the country. Quite beautiful. But again quite expensive and high maintenance.

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg

This?

hqdefault.jpg

Don't you have tiles?
No, asphalt shingles on this house, the last house had a flat roof.

Ringel: I've watched American houses being erected.

There's huge development going in in the DC suburbs, where I live when I am Stateside.
I used to build and remodel them for a living back when one could make good money as a carpenter, mid 80s through the mid 90s.

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg

This?

hqdefault.jpg

Don't you have tiles?

There are slate roof tiles in certain parts of Britain.

And thatched roofs on cottages.

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg

This?

hqdefault.jpg

Don't you have tiles?
Cedar shakes were the norm back in the English colonies in the Americas.

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg

This?

hqdefault.jpg

Don't you have tiles?

You have a lot of trees in America.

This?

hqdefault.jpg

Don't you have tiles?

There are slate roof tiles in certain parts of Britain.

And thatched roofs on cottages.
Yup, those are two of the most common roofing materials in the UK.

There's huge development going in in the DC suburbs, where I live when I am Stateside.
I used to build and remodel them for a living back when one could make good money as a carpenter, mid 80s through the mid 90s.

Everything is wood framed.
Most everything, yes. It's relatively cheap and quick to erect.

I watched a house go up in a couple of weeks. I couldn't believe it.

This?

hqdefault.jpg

Don't you have tiles?

You have a lot of trees in America.
True but we have a lot less than existed 150 years ago. During the colonial era we provided timber and shipbuilding to England and France, Spain too I think.

Everything is wood framed.
Most everything, yes. It's relatively cheap and quick to erect.

I watched a house go up in a couple of weeks. I couldn't believe it.
With pre-fab housing the shell can be erected in a couple of days, it's the finishing touches that take a long time (interior walls/ceilings, wiring, plumbing, flooring, kitchens, baths, painting, etc).

Here in the southwest the primary material used to be adobe. Basically a mix of clay, sand and straw baked into large bricks then often coated with the same mixture like a stucco.
This is a modern adobe construct.

Is this what you mean?

hqdefault.jpg

This?

hqdefault.jpg

Don't you have tiles?

Yes, the tar and gravel on flat roofs is popular in this part of the country. Fairly affordable but also very high maintenance.

Here in the southwest the primary material used to be adobe. Basically a mix of clay, sand and straw baked into large bricks then often coated with the same mixture like a stucco.
This is a modern adobe construct.

Looks similar to European construction.

Adobe brick construction is from the Bronze Age in Spain, adobe mud dwellings go back much, much earlier and is one of the earliest know construction materials known to humankind.

Forum List

Back