USMB Coffee Shop IV

Yesterday's activities included a couple of visits to local historical sites. One note: just about everything in the area was destroyed during WWII so most of the stoneworks, castles, etc are reconstructions. The Japanese, or in this case, Okinawans, are deeply vested in their history. First, we went to the location where the actual Battle of Okinawa, otherwise known as Hacksaw Ridge, happened. Guess I'll have to revisit the history in order to understand why anyone would climb that kind of incline when they might have gone around. Then we visited the recently re-opened Shurijo Castle Park. There were lots of beautiful objects representative of the period arts on display, as well as the death paintings of the Okinawan kings. The kings' paintings were all reproductions based on pre-war illustrations because all of them were destroyed. It was still an interesting visit, including a walk through the gardens.
Here are a couple of photos, the first is from Hacksaw Ridge and includes a pair of photos from the 2016 film of the same name, the second was a warning sign in the gardens informing visitors to not disturb the habu-tat:
IMG_0349 (2).JPG
IMG_0363 (2).JPG

Yesterday's activities included a couple of visits to local historical sites. One note: just about everything in the area was destroyed during WWII so most of the stoneworks, castles, etc are reconstructions. The Japanese, or in this case, Okinawans, are deeply vested in their history. First, we went to the location where the actual Battle of Okinawa, otherwise known as Hacksaw Ridge, happened. Guess I'll have to revisit the history in order to understand why anyone would climb that kind of incline when they might have gone around. Then we visited the recently re-opened Shurijo Castle Park. There were lots of beautiful objects representative of the period arts on display, as well as the death paintings of the Okinawan kings. The kings' paintings were all reproductions based on pre-war illustrations because all of them were destroyed. It was still an interesting visit, including a walk through the gardens.
Here are a couple of photos, the first is from Hacksaw Ridge and includes a pair of photos from the 2016 film of the same name, the second was a warning sign in the gardens informing visitors to not disturb the habu-tat:
View attachment 250959 View attachment 250960
Thanks for sharing that, gallantwarrior.

Today my wife and I celebrated our 58th wedding anniversary. We had our first big fight of the year when I said we would go to Taco Bell for our big dinner. I had to settle for Outback.

Today my wife and I celebrated our 58th wedding anniversary. We had our first big fight of the year when I said we would go to Taco Bell for our big dinner. I had to settle for Outback.

Congratulations Hoss!!! Quite an accomplishment you and the little Missus have racked up... Best of luck in the coming year my cyber phriend...

81vO3JIfqlL._UL1500_.jpg

Congratulations to you and the Mrs., Hoss! 58 years? with the same person? Kudos! I wouldn't have settled for Taco Bell, either. Hell, Outback would have been a stretch.
An aside: yesterday the kids decided to treat the family to Taco Bell (available at the BX). First time this whole trip I've had...ahem, digestive issues. And I've been eating loads of the local specialties.

Hi guys,
Sorry I have been MIA but things happen and I'm not able to deal with it like I used to. Doc said I have ptsd and put me on anti depressants, and I am also on Nexium now too, plus they upped my Ropinerole because my RLS is getting worse. Usually it only happens at anight when I go to be but now its during the day. I nap alot, or rather, try to. Not getting any sleep is affecting me too. In short.....no good news as usual. Just more of the same so I figure its best I don't talk about it at all because its such a downer and y'all seem to be up more than down in this dark place I now call home.

But..I'm still here. Just wanted to let ya know. Tryin'. Really am although I think I am losing the battle. maybe the anti depressants will make me so mellow I won't give a damn about anything. Is that worse? Fixing to find out, I guess.

Hugs

Hi guys,
Sorry I have been MIA but things happen and I'm not able to deal with it like I used to. Doc said I have ptsd and put me on anti depressants, and I am also on Nexium now too, plus they upped my Ropinerole because my RLS is getting worse. Usually it only happens at anight when I go to be but now its during the day. I nap alot, or rather, try to. Not getting any sleep is affecting me too. In short.....no good news as usual. Just more of the same so I figure its best I don't talk about it at all because its such a downer and y'all seem to be up more than down in this dark place I now call home.

But..I'm still here. Just wanted to let ya know. Tryin'. Really am although I think I am losing the battle. maybe the anti depressants will make me so mellow I won't give a damn about anything. Is that worse? Fixing to find out, I guess.

Hugs

Hopefully the new meds just need some time to work for you, Gracie.

That's wonderful Hossfly. It is so great having all that wonderful history together, the really good times, the really bad times, all of it, especially if you have kids, grandkids, great grandkids etc.

Hombre and my problem with celebrating our anniversary is that we got married on Valentine's Day and in Albuquerque we just won't fight the crowds to go out on the actual day. Nobody takes reservations for fewer than eight on Valentine's Day so the wait times to get a table anywhere are just longer than we have the patience to wait anymore. :)

Hi guys,

Hugs

B-r-e-a-t-h-e

:smiliehug:

Hi guys,

Hugs

You've been through this before Gracie and you survived. I hate that you are depressed and miserable, and my prayer is that this too shall pass.

Hi guys,

Hugs
Hugs to you, Gracie. You know I'm always hanging out in spirit. I do wish I could give you strength and more than words for support. I hope the new meds help. Much love and best to you and Mr. G.
Lee

Seen a Robin in my yard so in my way of thinking, officially it’s SPRING!!! Thank God. It’s been a long, cold, hard winter here.

Things are moving along on the house front, the credit union approved us for $179,500, VA no money down. Already have a list of homes from our real estate broker to look at and have gone through the list and picked out the ones we're interested in. Will look at 4 or 5 tomorrow then I'll look at some more on Thursday while the wife is having chemo done.
And as I thought the ones that are in good shape and fit our price range are mostly Rio Rancho and SW Albuquerque. The one I really like is up at the northern most part of Rio off of Rte 550.

Last edited:
The little one got home late today from school. I wondered what delayed the bus, and figured it was likely some sort of mechanical problem. When she got home, the little one explained that one of the kids from her elementary school brought a gun on the bus. He apparently told some other kids about it, and one of them told the bus driver or a teacher. That led to a delay, naturally, as teachers, police, and "a man in a suit" came to their bus and the child with the gun was taken off.

Thankfully, from the little one's description, it sounds like a young kid showing off rather than any sort of potential shooter situation. I'm not certain how she would have found out, but the little one said the gun was unloaded. It's still not something I like hearing.

The little one got home late today from school. I wondered what delayed the bus, and figured it was likely some sort of mechanical problem. When she got home, the little one explained that one of the kids from her elementary school brought a gun on the bus. He apparently told some other kids about it, and one of them told the bus driver or a teacher. That led to a delay, naturally, as teachers, police, and "a man in a suit" came to their bus and the child with the gun was taken off.

Thankfully, from the little one's description, it sounds like a young kid showing off rather than any sort of potential shooter situation. I'm not certain how she would have found out, but the little one said the gun was unloaded. It's still not something I like hearing.
Lot's of kids like showing off stuff like this. The fact that there is so much media coverage and adult over reaction when it happens just adds to the cachet and the thrill of danger.

Lot's of kids like showing off stuff like this. The fact that there is so much media coverage and adult over reaction when it happens just adds to the cachet and the thrill of danger.

I don't think that schools really feel they can overreact to something like that, and I don't blame them. I certainly don't trust that some random 4th or 5th grader will act safely with a gun on the bus with the little one. :p

Forum List

Back