USMB Coffee Shop IV

Great news for today, just received word the wife was approved for Medicaid. Now we have to see if and how much the bank will pre-approve for a home loan once all the documentation is in.

That should ease the worries re medical bills. Now we need a good medical report.

Yesterday I was getting a head start on packing, packed up a box of DVDs and was labeling it when my shoulder popped again....... Now it's difficult and painful to even use it, now there's at least a week of down time.

A bit of history trivia related to March 15:

The Ides of March is a day on the Roman calendar that corresponds to 15 March. It was marked by several religious observances and was notable for the Romans as a deadline for settling debts. In 44 BC, it became notorious as the date of the assassination of Julius Caesar which made the Ides of March a turning point in Roman history.​

There are are so many important and critical points of history that most of us, maybe all of us, haven't read or have long forgotten. But I'm pretty sure everybody in the free world, at least those over the age of 30, know of the romance between Julius Caesar and Cleopatra and know the 'et tu Brute?' line from Shakespeare's play related to Caesar's assassination.

Yesterday I was getting a head start on packing, packed up a box of DVDs and was labeling it when my shoulder popped again....... Now it's difficult and painful to even use it, now there's at least a week of down time.

Bummer. What causes that?

This is how it's done with cookies.
printed pattern for donut icing - Bing video

They use a tool called a scribe.

Interesting. But geez, do each cookie manually one at a time? No thank you. They are beautiful, real works of art, but not the least more appetizing looking than regular cookies, plus I would be suspicious of so much food coloring from a health standpoint I think. I'll stick with my cookies that are pretty utilitarian but usually taste great. :)

Bummer. What causes that?
My rotator cuffs on both shoulders have split so many times over the years that they can't be repaired. Every now and then I do something that re-injures one or the other. Rather painful and mostly puts that arm out of commission for a while, even using a fork, knife or spoon hurts....... alot......

This is how it's done with cookies.
printed pattern for donut icing - Bing video

They use a tool called a scribe.

Interesting. But geez, do each cookie manually one at a time? No thank you. They are beautiful, real works of art, but not the least more appetizing looking than regular cookies, plus I would be suspicious of so much food coloring from a health standpoint I think. I'll stick with my cookies that are pretty utilitarian but usually taste great. :)

I totally agree with you. :)
I was just trying to answer beautress's question on how they might have done those donuts.

D1rW3dyX0AAbjOY.jpg

I just wanna cuddle every dang little kitty I see. I think they're the most adorable little critters there are... well... I like baby ducks too... :)
My daughter took me for my first visit to a cat café. They had a variety of purebred kittens and to feed them treats cost about $11 for 10 minutes. If you buy the day pass, it's about $20. People refreshments were gratis, but no outside food allowed. Instant friendship, as long as the treats held out.
Isn't it fun to see how people on the other side of the planet do things we'd never thought of, but seem like fun. :)
Oh, boy, howdie! While very different in many ways, Okinawa is small and there are lots of Americans here. You can still find a rare place that serves only Japanese, but most businesses sport signage in English as well as Japanese and many of the people speak enough English to do business with us.
I noticed that almost all the houses have grates or bars on the windows, even several floors up. I was puzzled because Japan is notorious for being relatively crime free, clean, and polite. Daughter told me that those are there to prevent typhoon damage. A lot of buildings look like concrete bunkers and have flat roofs. I'm guessing they don't have to shed a lot of snow?
I have to confess the day you left I went over to the Earthquake page at USGS, and I'm not sure where, but off the coast of one of Japan's remote islands there was a 4.something quake a hundred miles out. I can't bear to look anymore, but sending up a little prayer that all will be well while you're there. When I was active in my quilt business in Wyoming, one of my favorite quilt fabric suppliers had their cotton quilt fabrics spun and printed in the northern areas of Japan, and one day, the entire city was flattened by an earthquake. Think there were close to a million people there, but most made it through. Right on the shoreline, though, people had homes, and about ten thousand got washed out to sea. That's why if I ever went there it would be a short and sweet trip. Their fabrics were so terribly beautiful, I loved it when the Hoffman boxes arrived from CA, where they were sent to. Not only was it beautiful, it was just good fabric, it needled well, and was so totally lovely in every way.. Well, fortunately a small town doesn't sell fabrics very quickly, so in less than 6 months, they recuperated, rebuilt, spun and printed fabrics every bit as beautiful as before. Only one shop has them around here, but it's 50 miles west of here, so I only go there a couple of times a year. Our local shop has a few bolts from time to time, but styles change, and I like the prints that you can still see on a 1" postage stamp sized fabric, because I do a lot of fine work, but all on the machine.

Those folks get right back up, dust themselves off and start all over again. Kudos to a lovely people there in Japan. And I hope you have the time of your life for the duration of your stay there. :)
My dad was a great fan of Japan and being in the Marine Corps meant he got here often. The people are clean and polite, even if they are not particularly fond of "round eyes". My daughter loves the farmers' markets. Surprisingly, there is lots of agriculture in a small, densely populated country. Okinawa is about 1,561 km (970 miles) south of Tokyo. Okinawans consider themselves to be a different ethnic group than mainland Japanese and are pretty proud of that. Okinawa is also much more susceptible to monsoons and tsunamis than earthquakes. I'm planning to bring home some shisa dogs for my place.

"Shisa is a traditional Ryukyuan cultural artifact and decoration derived from Chinese guardian lions, often seen in similar pairs, resembling a cross between a lion and a dog, from Okinawan mythology. In magic typology, they are sometimes also classified as gargoyle beasts. Shisa are wards, believed to protect from some evils. People place pairs of shisa on their rooftops or flanking the gates to their houses, with the left shisa traditionally having a closed mouth, the right one an open mouth. The open mouth shisa traditionally wards off evil spirits, and the closed mouth shisa keeps good spirits in."
thBVAYGV9C.jpg

It really sucks when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be another train...
It'll get better, I just need to get back to doing my daily shoulder exercises which i stopped doing a while ago so really it's my fault for not keeping up.

It really sucks when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be another train...
It'll get better, I just need to get back to doing my daily shoulder exercises which i stopped doing a while ago so really it's my fault for not keeping up.

Same here. I think my shoulder issue might be resolved if I had just stuck with exercises Other things are just so much more interesting though

Same here. I think my shoulder issue might be resolved if I had just stuck with exercises Other things are just so much more interesting though
they literally take 5 - 10 minutes per day, no excuse on my part but laziness......

You have my sympathies, Ringel. I fell half a dozen times before my husband passed away, and twice afterward. I finally learned the secret of growing old gracefully: "slow down town, now." The strategy works. No falling, nothing breaks, you're good to go, even if it takes twice as long to get there. I'm so sorry you hurt those rotary cuffs. One of my earliest falls resulted in just that, and I didn't even hit the ground. Unfortunately, I somehow panicked and tore something in my arm. It hurt for two years. That was likely around 5 years ago, and I don't miss not hurting any more, but I still have moments when I pick stuff up. I may have lost a little upper arm strength, but determination means you can take the laundry upstairs if you make two trips per load. lol My doc gave me super-loaded potassium capsules which is illegal to purchase in stores, but it does stop pain on bad days and keeps the cramps away, too, so I don't have to worry about getting addicted to the perfectly horrible-to-swallow horse capsules they are. Growing older really isn't for sissies like me. Wah! No, really, I get by. :)

Never mind my old stuff. I hope you have some good non-habit-forming pain meds. And that you take it easy until it heals.

Okay, the house we really liked and wanted (on the same street we used to live in) no longer shows up on the listings. It was either sold or removed from the listings, we'll know next week when we meet with our real estate broker. If not there are a couple in the same area we like and if that doesn't work out we'll probably look in Rio Rancho.

they literally take 5 - 10 minutes per day, no excuse on my part but laziness......

Me either. But it's so easy to procrastinate until it's late and you think well tomorrow for sure.

Forum List

Back