USMB Coffee Shop IV

Sometimes we wonder whether anybody really cares if we are around or whether we are really important to anybody. But the fact is, we sometimes just don't know what a visit or a phone call or a word or even a message board post means to somebody. I thought about that when I ran across this while ago. It's a bit long, but worth the read. I don't know the source of it so I can't give whomever wrote this credit.

The telephone rang. It was a call from his mother. He answered it and his mother told him, "Mr. Belser died last night. The funeral is Wednesday."

Memories flashed through his mind like an old newsreel as he sat quietly remembering his childhood days.

"Jack, did you hear me?"

"Oh, sorry, Mom. Yes, I heard you. It's been so long since I thought of him. I'm sorry, but I honestly thought he died years ago," Jack said.

"Well, he didn't forget you. Every time I saw him he'd ask how you were doing. He'd reminisce about the many days you spent over 'his side of the fence' as he put it," Mom told him.

"I loved that old house he lived in," Jack said.

"You know, Jack, after your father died, Mr. Belser stepped in to make sure you had a man's influence in your life," she said.

"He's the one who taught me carpentry," he said. "I wouldn't be in this business if it weren't for him. He spent a lot of time teaching me things he thought were important. Mom, I'll be there for the funeral," Jack said.

As busy as he was, he kept his word. Jack caught the next flight to his hometown. Mr. Belser's funeral was small and uneventful. He had no children of his own, and most of his relatives had passed away.

The night before he had to return home, Jack and his Mom stopped by to see the old house next door one more time. Standing in the doorway, Jack paused for a moment. It was like crossing over into another dimension, a leap through space and time. The house was exactly as he remembered.

Every step held memories. Every picture, every piece of furniture...Jack stopped suddenly...

"What'swrong, Jack?" his Mom asked.

"The box is gone," he said.

"What box?" Mom asked.

"There was a small gold box that he kept locked on top of his desk. I must have asked him a thousand times what was inside. All he'd ever tell me was 'the thing I value most,'" Jack said.

It was gone. Everything about the house was exactly how Jack remembered it, except for the box. He figured someone from the Belser family had taken it.

"Now I'll never know what was so valuable to him," Jack said.

"I better get some sleep. I have an early flight home, Mom."

It had been about two weeks since Mr. Belser died. Returning home from work one day Jack discovered a note in his mailbox. "Signature required on a package. No one at home. Please stop by the main post office within the next three days," the note read.

Early the next day Jack went to the post office and retrieved the package. The small box was old and looked like it had been mailed a hundred years ago. The handwriting was difficult to read, but the return address caught his attention.

"Mr. Harold Belser" it read.

Jack took the box out to his car and ripped open the package. There inside was the gold box and an envelope.

Jack's hands shook as he read the note inside.

"Upon my death, please forward this box and its contents to Jack Bennett. It's the thing I valued most in my life." A small key was taped to the letter. His heart racing, as tears filled his eyes, Jack carefully unlocked the box. There inside he found a beautiful gold pocket watch.

Running his fingers slowly over the finely etched casing, he unlatched the cover. Inside he found these words engraved: "Jack, Thanks for your time! -- Harold Belser."

"The thing he valued most was my time!"

Jack held the watch for a few minutes, then called his office and cleared his appointments for the next two days.*

"Why?" Janet, his assistant asked.

"I need some time to spend with the people I love and say I care for," he said. "Oh, by the way, Janet, thanks for your time!"

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Think about this. You may not realize it, but it's 100 percent true.

1. At least 15 people in this world love you in some way.

2. A smile from you can bring happiness to anyone, even if they don't like you.

3. Every night, SOMEONE thinks about you before they go to sleep.

4. You mean the world to someone.

5. If not for you, someone may not be living.

6. You are special and unique.

7. Have trust sooner or later you will get what you wish for or something better.

8. When you make the biggest mistake ever, something good can still come from it.

9. When you think the world has turned its back on you, take a hard look: you most likely turned your back on the world and the people who love and care for you.

10. Someone that you don't even know exists loves you.

11. Always remember the compliments you received. Forget about the rude remarks.

12. Always tell someone how you feel about them; you will feel much better when they know and you'll both be happy.

13. If you have a great friend, take the time to let them know that they are great.

To everyone who read this just now....*"Thanks for your time."*​

And on a lighter note, we are in the season off Lent which for many is a good excuse to diet a bit by giving up some food that is a problem for him or her. But just like New Year's resolutions, too often Lenten abstinence choices are hard to keep.

53531827_2611088765662707_5432430191106326528_n.jpg

And good morning everybody. Hombre is volunteering at the gift shop this morning so I slept late until Microsoft called to advise me that my license would expire in two days unless. . ..I hung up before they got any further. On my first cup of coffee and working on attitude adjustment so that I can do our taxes today.

I don't want to do taxes. :(

But it's okay.
Good Morning, Foxy!
At least it's 1100 back home, which is probably the reason I'm up at 0400 local. Good call, hanging up on that scam. I've had to have my laptop cleaned up because of those pukes. Did the caller have a funny accent?

Yes, most of them have 'funny' accents though some are wising up and using callers with pretty much no detectable accent. We generally get a half dozen or more calls from scammers every week. We know them all now.

The police are on their way to arrest us if we don't pay the IRS what we owe right now scam.
The "hello" Grandma or Grandpa scam of a grandson we didn't know we had needing fine money or bail money right now.
The Microsoft needs to fix your computer scam.
The better rate on your credit card or mortgage scam.
The 'how are you today' scam--they want a 'fine' or 'yes' or 'okay' on their recorder that they will then use that as your confirmation of something you didn't know you ordered.
The one question poll scam in which you punch 1 for yes and 2 for no--no telling what you are agreeing to with that one.

And on and on and on. . .
Yeah, I get that credit card scam many times a week, except I don't have any credit cards! If they use a phone number, I'll block the number but they frequently have "unknown" shown on caller ID. I just don't answer those at all. I figure someone who wants to talk to me would identify themselves.

Just made it home about 20 minutes ago from Albuquerque. Woke up at 5:30 yesterday morning after 5 hours of sleep and was on the road by 7 for an 11AM appointment for labs at UNM then an appointment with the OB GYN Oncologist (who she's already seen before). That was followed by an appointment with Finance to help her get Medicaid and finally a CT Scan before heading over to Casa Esperanza for a room UNM had set up for us.
After a dinner of Dion's salads we finally hit the sack just after 8PM, obviously we were exhausted. I was up at 6AM but laid back down at 7 and slept another 2 hours..... Yeah, I was exhausted.
Had breakfast then ran over to the property management company we used before to see what they had listed, went by the bank to get some paperwork for Finance then she had chemo at 1:30PM which lasted till nearly 5 then hit the road back home.
Yup, we're looking to move back to Albuquerque as soon as possible.
Also will be checking on the possibility of a home loan, looking at a house we both like on the same street we used to live on, almost right across the street from the house we were renting. Keeping our fingers crossed.....

Just made it home about 20 minutes ago from Albuquerque. Woke up at 5:30 yesterday morning after 5 hours of sleep and was on the road by 7 for an 11AM appointment for labs at UNM then an appointment with the OB GYN Oncologist (who she's already seen before). That was followed by an appointment with Finance to help her get Medicaid and finally a CT Scan before heading over to Casa Esperanza for a room UNM had set up for us.
After a dinner of Dion's salads we finally hit the sack just after 8PM, obviously we were exhausted. I was up at 6AM but laid back down at 7 and slept another 2 hours..... Yeah, I was exhausted.
Had breakfast then ran over to the property management company we used before to see what they had listed, went by the bank to get some paperwork for Finance then she had chemo at 1:30PM which lasted till nearly 5 then hit the road back home.
Also will be checking on the possibility of a home loan, looking at a house we both like on the same street we used to live on, almost right across the street from the house we were renting. Keeping our fingers crossed.....

Will keep my fingers crossed too because we will be neighbors again! :)

Fingers crossed for you! Guess you'll be moving closer to the necessary medical services for Mrs. R? That will beat the long drive and ongoing exhaustion, surely. They seem to think that retirees have so much time that we require writing assignments to fill that time up.

Snowing on the mountain at this hour but broken clouds and sun at this hour in the city. Back from our weekly 42 game--the gals tied the guys, 3 games to 3. Stopped at Jades for really good Chinese food on our way home from Corrales. Now stuffed and ready for an uneventful late afternoon and evening. I should be working on taxes--still haven't psyched myself into doing that. Maybe I'll just take an hour an so and conquer the world in one off my favorite computer games.

Meanwhile, we should acknowledge: 3.14

Pi-2.jpeg

My daughter doesn't like driving too far away from home, which is kind of funny since Okinawa is about 36 miles long by 6 wide, so we've been exploring local places. We walked along the sea wall one day, went to the beach the next. Yesterday, she took me up to some pretty rugged place where they like to go diving. There are caves and coral to explore. I'm not much of a photo chronicler, but here are a couple of shots, the first is a view over the South China Sea (never thought I'd see that!), the second is a collection of she-sells:
IMG_0321 (2).JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

Foxfyre, thank you for the lovely story about how valuable his time was to his former neighbor and mentor of his carpentry skills. What a lovely gift to know his time was valuable to Mr. Belser.

Dajjal, that is so like my cat, Ms. Piccolo. She favors a small plastic bin that holds some fabric in it. Right now, she is using the wooden bureau I got at Good Will last year as her resting place. It's a beautiful piece of furniture with a lovely grain, but she loves lounging around on it between the phone and the computer router. lol

Ringel, Mrs. Ringel and you will be in my prayers tonight. I know chemo is a very tough ally. Hope Mrs. Ringel comes out well and new when all is said and done.

My daughter doesn't like driving too far away from home, which is kind of funny since Okinawa is about 36 miles long by 6 wide, so we've been exploring local places. We walked along the sea wall one day, went to the beach the next. Yesterday, she took me up to some pretty rugged place where they like to go diving. There are caves and coral to explore. I'm not much of a photo chronicler, but here are a couple of shots, the first is a view over the South China Sea (never thought I'd see that!), the second is a collection of she-sells:
View attachment 250273
View attachment 250274
Wow, gallantwarrior. What lovely shells !!!!!. Are the guys in kayaks scuba divers, too? Looks like somewhere close there's a world-class aquarium with spotted sharks and other large (and small) fish that people can go and see.

I put "Tropical fish in Okinawa" into bing, and put some small pictures here: Sea Fever and the Ocean's Colorful Creatures

It's been seasonably warm here. I'm currently hunkering down in the partner's city place, waiting for a military "hop" to Japan. Crossing my fingers for the flight scheduled to Yokota, Japan Friday. The schedule sucks but the price cannot be beat. I really just want to spend some time with my daughter and granddaughters.
I hope the partner will survive the commute to the "country" place. He locked the keys for the Lexus in the Lexus and has to drive the old Dodge truck until the dealership gets a new set of keys for the commuter. The old Dodge truck has no heater, no current registration, and needs the transmission overhauled. His fault, though, he's such an ass. I've told him how to minimize problems like this but his passive-aggressive illness will not allow him to take good advice. His problem. I'm going to Japan. I have no idea when I'll be able to travel again.
Bon voyage, Gallantwarrior. Have a wonderful time and take lots of pictures! Maybe you took your laptop and can communicate when you're on the bus going to see something nice.
Yup, done and done. I forgot my camera, so pictures will be from my cell phone. At least that function still works. So far, it's been dim, gray and rainy, but I am given to understand that this is how Okinawa is. Oh, and warm! These temperatures are hot summer temps for me. My daughter and I are having a blast, my granddaughters did that "Meh!" [shoulder shrug] common to teenaged communications. I smacked my SIL in the head, drank a few beers with him, yelled out agreement about some political issues, and then I fell asleep, exhausted by the journey.
If any of you can fly military Space A, I recommend it. The deal is, an unfilled airplane is wasted space and wasted cargo lift. So, to maximize the "bang-to-buck" ratios, the military will allow certain military-affiliated folks to hitch a ride. It has its drawbacks, like really crappy scheduling and you take your chances what type of aircraft you might be flying on. But you sure cannot beat the price! I was loaded into a C-17 Skymaster, the Air Force replacement for the C-140. It's a heavy lifter with lots of space, hell, we could have played soccer in the cargo hold!
My ride looked like this:
View attachment 249457

Seating was really great, too. No windows, so no window seats. No middle seats, either. Everyone had lots of elbow room when seated and as soon as we reached cruise altitude, most everyone tossed their sleeping bags or hammocks out and had nice naps. Here's what the passenger accommodations on board looked like, those are seats stowed up along the bulkhead (wall):
Boeing-C-17-Globem_1928656i.jpg

C-17_Globemaster_III_USAF_AMC_interior.jpg
Great pics, pard! And yes, I CAN ride military air craft as a 100% service connected disable veteran. Last cargo plane I flew on was a C-141 stretch. I'd have to coordinate with Truax Field in Madison, WI, but I just might do that. I FULLY trust military a/c over civilian. In fact, if I ever had go down in a plane crash, I'd be proud to do it in an AIR FORCE plane... :lol:

Have you got a return flight arranged already, or how does that work?
This was my first hop and I liked it. I was on a C-17, which replaced the C-140 series. Space-A (available) means just that, if they have the space, you have a place. You can register up to 60 days ahead of your desired departure for a number of points of origin. Then you monitor the flight schedules, which are posted most of the time 72 hours in advance. (On Okinawa right now, they can only post a day in advance because their system is down.) Then you take you chances. Just because a flight is scheduled doesn't mean it will fly because they tend to reschedule, depending on mission requirements. It was great coming out though. My daughter clued me in and I was prepared with a thermarest and nice, warm blankie and was able to sack out on the deck.
So then you'll have to just keep an eye on the schedule for a flight back?

View attachment 250273
View attachment 250274
Some of those shells on the inside look to be Conus marmoreus (marbled cone snail), poisonous, predatory snails. It's toxin can kill a human.

We've had two pretty warm days in the 50's up nort' here, and wow did that melt a lot of snow. We actually have lots of bare ground showing, and when the sun got a chance to hit that today it warmed things up even more. I LOVE IT! I'm in Spring time mode now... :lol:

There's been some rain and wind. I was in the shop here today and one gust hit and made the whole building creek and groan. Never heard that before. Made me wonder if it wasn't even a microburst or something.

Forum List

Back