USMB Coffee Shop IV

F.....

STEMhero.jpg

Our Texas friends and family--we have a LOT of both all over Texas--have really been getting hammered with rain, hail, tornadoes etc., but the most serious problem is water that has no place to go. One of my former classmates lives on the shore of Lake Texhoma and just posted this photo of the boat ramp near her home:

lake+texoma+floodding.JPG

I'm waiting for the client to contact the staffing company about the position I might get. They didn't do that today.

On the other hand, I did get a call from a company I didn't apply to. I just got done with a video interview, which is apparently the first part of a 3 part process, with an in-person interview being next if they decide to move on. I'm not actually sure why they thought I'd be good for the position, as it seems like something of a sales-based company and position, and I've never done sales. It's also in Atlanta, not just the outskirts, so I am not thrilled about the possible commute. I don't really want to work in the city. I'll see what happens if they call me, I suppose. Worst case is I have to drive to Atlanta for an interview and decide I don't want the job, I guess. :dunno:

The trip to the local greenhouse is this week. Some coleus for Mom. Thrillers, fillers and spillerls. A few high plants like spikes or miniature ornamental grasses for the thrilling part, viny bits for the spillers. But the warm front is in town with some gentle spring rains clicking off the north windows.

I don't know 'bout yinz guys, but I've been taking little zen breaks during the day. My homemade mantra is woodrurners and tool restorers on YouTube. Some folks look for cats playing the theromon or kids impaling themselves on public property. I hear his is the contemporary teenage way of standing out. And to think, my generation just streaked.

Anyway, for a fifteen minute break I can watch a British guy make a beautiful wooden bowl from a bunch of knots on a trunk. The technique, the equipment and the materials all amaze me. Watching something done right was the best part of being a resident inspector and a Professional Engineer.

I lived in sunny, beautiful Sarasota Florida back in the 1980s when I was fresh out,of college and the steel mills here were folding like
Chinese roadmaps. I split and took a position at a local engineering firm. They were cranking out plans for residential and commercial clients. I was pressed into service as resident inspector. For my sins, I would get a Spec Book, all the contractual documents outlining how the project was to be executed and monitored and a roll of plans.

I was inspecting the installation of a new development's sanitary sewers. The main ran down the center of what would one day be curbed, paved, painted and named Manatee Lane or Orange Blossom Trail.

If you look sideways at the lawns of anyone in Sarasota, you could conger forth water. Put up a badminton net and the gushers will put you in mind of the Bellagio in Vegas. So how can you safely dig a trench, install an 8" PVC pipe at the right pitch and line? Water would wash in the walls of the sandy trench and bury someone alive, like the inspector.

What they devised was a way to pump the water from the trench before the trench was dug. Everybody has turned the nozzle down on a garden hose to concentrate the stream like a laser beam in a Bomd movie. Cutting through the sod with the power of erosion is also a good way to bore a hole in the earth. After you squirt your way down a couple feet deeper than the trench, you slip down another drinking straw parallel with the proposed trwmch. They were pieces of PVC with wee tiny slots cut into the submersible end. Water ran to them because of the pump. Sand couldn't get through the slots. Then clmp flexible tubing to a manifold attached to a diesel powered pump.

It's something done in Sandy soils. The Ohio Valley is so clayey, bare patches have been known to bisque dry oduring a heat wave.

And that's my report for early May in the upper Ohio River valley.

Last edited:
The trip to the local greenhouse is this week. Some coleus for Mom. Thrillers, fillers and spillerls. A few high plants like spikes or miniature ornamental grasses for the thrilling part, viny bits for the spillers. But the warm front is in town with some gentle spring rains clicking off the north windows.

I don't know 'bout yinz guys, but I've been taking little zen breaks during the day. My homemade mantra is woodrurners and tool restorers on YouTube. Some folks look for cats playing the theromon or kids impaling themselves on public property. I hear his is the contemporary teenage way of standing out. And to think, my generation just streaked.

Anyway, for a fifteen minute break I can watch a British guy make a beautiful wooden bowl from a bunch of knots on a trunk. The technique, the equipment and the materials all amaze me. Watching something done right was the best part of being a resident inspector and a Professional Engineer.

I lived in sunny, beautiful Sarasota Florida back in the 1980s when I was fresh out,of college and the steel mills here were folding like
Chinese roadmaps. I split and took a position at a local engineering firm. They were cranking out plans for residential and commercial clients. I was pressed into service as resident inspector. For my sins, I would get a Spec Book, all the contractual documents outlining how the project was to be executed and monitored and a roll of plans.

I was inspecting the installation of a new development's sanitary sewers. The main ran down the center of what would one day be curbed, paved, painted and named Manatee Lane or Orange Blossom Trail.

If you look sideways at the lawns of anyone in Sarasota, you could conger forth water. Put up a badminton net and the gushers will put you in mind of the Bellagio in Vegas. So how can you safely dig a trench, install an 8" PVC pipe at the right pitch and line? Water would wash in the walls of the sandy trench and bury someone alive, like the inspector.

What they devised was a way to pump the water from the trench before the trench was dug. Everybody has turned the nozzle down on a garden hose to concentrate the stream like a laser beam in a Bomd movie. Cutting through the sod with the power of erosion is also a good way to bore a hole in the earth. After you squirt your way down a couple feet deeper than the trench, you slip down another drinking straw parallel with the proposed trwmch. They were pieces of PVC with wee tiny slots cut into the submersible end. Water ran to them because of the pump. Sand couldn't get through the slots. Then clmp flexible tubing to a manifold attached to a diesel powered pump.

It's something done in Sandy soils. The Ohio Valley is so clayey, bare patches have been known to bisque dry oduring a heat wave.

Looking forward to photos of your flowers this summer Nosmo. I wish I could do more gardening these days, but our mostly clayish rocky New Mexico soil--except for the more sandy areas in eastern New Mexico--is difficult to work and water is always a problem here. And I just don't have the strength or stamina to deal with it that I once did even though you can grow pretty much anything here on the high desert if you have the tenacity and money to do so.

And it is a really chilly 42 degrees at this hour today--the high is only is only supposed to be 52 which is 25 degrees below normal for us this time of year. So not only are we bundled up with no heat but tomatoes really don't thrive in temperatures like that. We are getting rain though--heavy snow in the high elevations--and we always need the moisture. The more snow pack, the better for our lakes and reservoirs. Yin and yang and all that. Next week supposed to be back in the 70's. Looking forward to that.

Last edited:
One of our local TV stations posted this photo of Red River NM this morning--heavy snow continues to fall there. At 8600 feet at highway level, the elevation is a little low for the snow to stick for long. Above 9000 feet though the snow is piling up.

60288037_2446014438750249_7948455847380647936_n.jpg

Looking forward to photos of your flowers this summer Nosmo. I wish I could do more gardening these days, but our mostly clayish rocky New Mexico soil--except for the more sandy areas in eastern New Mexico--is difficult to work and water is always a problem here. And I just don't have the strength or stamina to deal with it that I once did even though you can grow pretty much anything here on the high desert if you have the tenacity and money to do so.

And it is a really chilly 42 degrees at this hour today--the high is only is only supposed to be 52 which is 25 degrees below normal for us this time of year. So not only are we bundled up with no heat but tomatoes really don't thrive in temperatures like that. We are getting rain though--heavy snow in the high elevations--and we always need the moisture. The more snow pack, the better for our lakes and reservoirs. Yin and yang and all that. Next week supposed to be back in the 70's. Looking forward to that.
Yup, woke up to rain and 50s this morning. Yesterday I did a lot of packing so this morning I was not only a little sore my left hip hurt...... Rubbed some volteran gel on it and the pain mostly went away.
Just received word that the closing date may have to be moved to the 17th, the VA's a little slow on getting out my Certificate of Eligibility and will most likely not meet the deadline for closing on the 15th.

One of our local TV stations posted this photo of Red River NM this morning--heavy snow continues to fall there. At 8600 feet at highway level, the elevation is a little low for the snow to stick for long. Above 9000 feet though the snow is piling up.

That elevation would be difficult for any denizen of the upper Ohio River valley. We move between an average of 600' to 1250' above mean sea level according to the USGS benchmarks scattered around town.

Seven or so times the elevation would bring us to our knees gasping for oxygen. Back when I was young and rich, I was a very avid skydiver. I accumulated 58 minutes of free fall time. No skydiver was permitted to exit an aircraft above 15,000' without supplemental oxygen. So props to the people who live as Eagles in the high thin air.

That elevation would be difficult for any denizen of the upper Ohio River valley. We move between an average of 600' to 1250' above mean sea level according to the USGS benchmarks scattered around town.

Seven or so times the elevation would bring us to our knees gasping for oxygen. Back when I was young and rich, I was a very avid skydiver. I accumulated 58 minutes of free fall time. No skydiver was permitted to exit an aircraft above 15,000' without supplemental oxygen. So props to the people who live as Eagles in the high thin air.

I've lived most of my life above 4000 ft and quite a few years above 7000 feet. So 10,000 plus feet feels normal to me. But at 14,000 ft on Pikes Peak I experienced altitude sickness for the first and only time in my life. I've never had an urge to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. :)

I've lived most of my life above 4000 ft and quite a few years above 7000 feet. So 10,000 plus feet feels normal to me. But at 14,000 ft on Pikes Peak I experienced altitude sickness for the first and only time in my life. I've never had an urge to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. :)
My Brooklyn friend lives st sea level. Her ears pop during the sixteen block descent on St. Clair Avenue between Pimplebutt and downtown, about 600'.

The 'perfectly good airplane' is the only airplane I would want to to fly in. Some perfectly good airplanes make great places to skydive from. Although I had qualified to jump at Bridge Day in nearby Fayette, West Virginia I never did. I want the time to fly like Superman. The only way to do that is from nothing less than a perfectly good airplane.

It's as if you were allowed to have a dream come true. I think that means literally 'a dream', not an aspiration. Ya don't get a pony. You get what you literally dream. Through human curiosity, and a daring outlook you may have a dream come true.

Then again, I had some dandy dreams when puberty hit. Why couldn't at least one of them come true?

Forum List

Back