USMB Coffee Shop IV

Dennis Miller is a yinzer.
What's a yinzer?
In this neck of the woods, we natives tend to pronounce things differently. People to our east say 'youz guys' while our neighbors just south of I-64 say 'y'all'. We split the difference and say 'yinz'.

I'll use it in a sentence. Are yinz guys going to Stosh an' Angie's wedding down at the Legion?

All up and down the upper Ohio River valley, from the point at Pittsburgh down to Wheeling, or so,you'll hear our peculiar regional accent. People fortunate enough to be born and raised around here use yinz and are proudly welcomed by fellow yinzers.

Here are "Yinzers at a funeral" from local comic persona, Pittsburgh Dad.

Last edited:
Just saw this....Great stuff.

Dennis Miller has dinner with Sinatra.

I love this. Dennis never quite achieved super star status but I have long admired him. Smart, witty, quick on his feet, a great story teller, and able to appreciate the humor in things without being mean.

Oh, Miller has been mean plenty of times. :)

Everybody can be perceived that way at times depending on a point of view. Especially anybody who uses humor to make a living. But I prefer to focus on humor that isn't mean. People like Carol Burnett and her crew, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, et al were sometimes pertinent to the news of the day or the national discussion at the time and they almost all used stereotyping, but they were never malicious, hateful, and/or cruel. I think Miller belongs with that genre more than the mean group.

I make it a point to watch "The Burns and Allen Show" on weekends. They play two episodes every morning at 6 am. What a hoot!

Burns & Allen were great...They used to be on cable all the time.

Everybody can be perceived that way at times depending on a point of view. Especially anybody who uses humor to make a living. But I prefer to focus on humor that isn't mean. People like Carol Burnett and her crew, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, et al were sometimes pertinent to the news of the day or the national discussion at the time and they almost all used stereotyping, but they were never malicious, hateful, and/or cruel. I think Miller belongs with that genre more than the mean group.

Miller threw out plenty of insults in his comedy, at least when I would watch it years ago. I don't think he was particularly mean-spirited, but I think most comedians use insults to some extent in their dialogues/routines.

Funny insults and being mean are entirely different things.

I don't think that's necessarily true. You can have both. :p

Yes you can have both, but they are still different things. I can have an apple and and orange for dinner tonight, but they are still different things.

What I mean is that you can have an insult be both funny and mean. By their nature, insults are at least a bit mean.

I know. But there still is a difference between non mean humor and mean humor. To me mean humor isn't humor at all. But there are those who would disagree I am sure.

Just saw this....Great stuff.

Dennis Miller has dinner with Sinatra.

I love this. Dennis never quite achieved super star status but I have long admired him. Smart, witty, quick on his feet, a great story teller, and able to appreciate the humor in things without being mean.

I make it a point to watch "The Burns and Allen Show" on weekends. They play two episodes every morning at 6 am. What a hoot!

They're on our local tv station. I don't get cable, dish or any other services.

Local stations are great! I've traveled a lot in my life. Often I would be in one place for at least three weeks. That gave me time to roam the area and get the flavor of the place. Watching local stations and what they program when says a lot about what thenpeople want and think. Do they run Andy Griffith reruns while folks a couple hundred miles away are watching Judy Judy. I am usually more relaxed in a Mayberry town rather than Her Honor's set/bench.

And when places run documentaries about themselves it's wonderful. Atlantic City, New Jersey had some great local documentaries. Here's one from my hometown.

Local stations are great! I've traveled a lot in my life. Often I would be in one place for at least three weeks. That gave me time to roam the area and get the flavor of the place. Watching local stations and what they program when says a lot about what thenpeople want and think. Do they run Andy Griffith reruns while folks a couple hundred miles away are watching Judy Judy. I am usually more relaxed in a Mayberry town rather than Her Honor's set/bench.

And when places run documentaries about themselves it's wonderful. Atlantic City, New Jersey had some great local documentaries. Here's one from my hometown.

We watch Andy Griffith reruns a lot. And also Judge Judy from time to time. Sigh. I have often been an enigma. :confused-84:

We watch Andy Griffith reruns a lot. And also Judge Judy from time to time. Sigh. I have often been an enigma. :confused-84:

Wrapped in a puzzle surrounded by mystery. You're the Mother Russia of Albuquerque!

Happy Mother's Day! I bundled Mom up to Janowski's Greenhouse this morning. I bought he coleus, spikes, some licorice vine for the planters flanking the front door at the Big House. A flat of marigolds for her to putter around with, a couple geraniums and voila! Mom's all set up.

Typical spring day here. 40% chance of rain with cloudy skies. Diffused sunlight is what we get. And we would plan a picnic with a 40% shot at rain.

Happy Mother's Day! I bundled Mom up to Janowski's Greenhouse this morning. I bought he coleus, spikes, some licorice vine for the planters flanking the front door at the Big House. A flat of marigolds for her to putter around with, a couple geraniums and voila! Mom's all set up.

Typical spring day here. 40% chance of rain with cloudy skies. Diffused sunlight is what we get. And we would plan a picnic with a 40% shot at rain.

You're a good son Nosmo. We probably wouldn't plan a picnic with a 40% chance of rain because though the percentage is probably accurate, there aren't many places to take shelter, and this time of year the rainstorms are generally short lived but can form quickly out of seemingly nothing and can be fierce with wind, hail, and a lot of dangerous lightning along with flash flooding. We get close to 300 sunny days a year but we respect the clouds.

You're a good son Nosmo. We probably wouldn't plan a picnic with a 40% chance of rain because though the percentage is probably accurate, there aren't many places to take shelter, and this time of year the rainstorms are generally short lived but can form quickly out of seemingly nothing and can be fierce with wind, hail, and a lot of dangerous lightning along with flash flooding. We get close to 300 sunny days a year but we respect the clouds.
We get sixty sunny days a year. But our rain is generally benign. By the time, even during high summer when it gets dark after 9:00, storms Peter out when they get this Far East and braced, as we are, by the Alleghenies fifty miles east of here.

Rain comes and goes and we don't even complain about it. We're conditioned to accept what nature throws our way because she's a consisteypitcher who rarely throws knuckleballs.

Hah, I have an interview/orientation tomorrow morning, so of course I just got a text about an interview tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying to find out now the timing to see if I can go to both.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with the staffing company for the morning appointment. It's only supposed to last 30 minutes, maybe an hour, so I should be good to go to both. Now I'll have to think about which job to choose should I be offered both, or even how to respond if I'm offered the job at the first place in the morning. I wouldn't want to turn down the first job, or even tell them I want to consider it and leave the possibility they just move on to someone else, if they offer the job tomorrow. I also don't know what the 2:30 interview job pays.

I've never really had to deal with this sort of thing before. My unusual job history hasn't led to getting multiple job offers at once the few times I've been job hunting. :p

Last edited:
Hah, I have an interview/orientation tomorrow morning, so of course I just got a text about an interview tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying to find out now the timing to see if I can go to both.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with the staffing company for the morning appointment. It's only supposed to last 30 minutes, maybe an hour, so I should be good to go to both. Now I'll have to think about which job to choose should I be offered both, or even how to respond if I'm offered the job at the first place in the morning. I wouldn't want to turn down the first job, or even tell them I want to consider it and leave the possibility they just move on to someone else, if they offer the job tomorrow. I also don't know what the 2:30 interview job pays.

I've never really had to deal with this sort of thing before. My unusual job history hasn't led to getting multiple job offers at once the few times I've been job hunting. :p

Sending all sorts of positive vibes that you get exactly the job you need allowing that it might not be the job you think you want. :)

When it rains it pours.

I did my 10:30 job orientation. It wasn't an interview, it was a supervisor of the staffing company giving information on the printing company I and the other people who were called in would be working for should we get the position(s). A short company video, going over some safety standards, payment options, talking about proper dress, having to wear a badge, doing a drug test, that sort of thing. I should hear back in the next few days if I am getting work, although it sounded as if this company needs more people because they are in the busy season. I have my other interview in 2 hours, although I'll probably leave the house in 1:15 minutes so I can stop and fill my gas tank, and to be sure I'm there on time (the place is about 14 miles away, mapquest gives me a 20 minute travel time). I also am still waiting for another staffing company to get back to me about a clerical position, so it's looking like I should at least get some employment soon, even if it's not exactly what I was hoping to be doing.

I got a new external hard drive from amazon. I was able to open up the external drive that failed, move the read/write heads into the ramps, and get it to spin up again. I'm currently transferring files from the old drive to the new one. I've had a few corrupted files, I'll have to see if they are replaceable when it's done, but I'm happy that it looks like I'll be able to save most of what is there. I had called a company to see about repair or data recovery. Apparently recovery is enormously expensive. The minimum cost would have been $600. I'll take a few file issues by doing the temporary home repair I did over that kind of cost! Hopefully my second interview doesn't take too long, because the transfer is going to still be working when I have to leave for the interview. If there are any more file/disc corruption issues that pause the transfer, it will just sit there until I get back.

I guess I'm going to need to think about whether I should keep putting out applications if/when I start one of the jobs that are potentially available in the next week or so.

I did my 10:30 job orientation. It wasn't an interview, it was a supervisor of the staffing company giving information on the printing company I and the other people who were called in would be working for should we get the position(s). A short company video, going over some safety standards, payment options, talking about proper dress, having to wear a badge, doing a drug test, that sort of thing. I should hear back in the next few days if I am getting work, although it sounded as if this company needs more people because they are in the busy season. I have my other interview in 2 hours, although I'll probably leave the house in 1:15 minutes so I can stop and fill my gas tank, and to be sure I'm there on time (the place is about 14 miles away, mapquest gives me a 20 minute travel time). I also am still waiting for another staffing company to get back to me about a clerical position, so it's looking like I should at least get some employment soon, even if it's not exactly what I was hoping to be doing.

I got a new external hard drive from amazon. I was able to open up the external drive that failed, move the read/write heads into the ramps, and get it to spin up again. I'm currently transferring files from the old drive to the new one. I've had a few corrupted files, I'll have to see if they are replaceable when it's done, but I'm happy that it looks like I'll be able to save most of what is there. I had called a company to see about repair or data recovery. Apparently recovery is enormously expensive. The minimum cost would have been $600. I'll take a few file issues by doing the temporary home repair I did over that kind of cost! Hopefully my second interview doesn't take too long, because the transfer is going to still be working when I have to leave for the interview. If there are any more file/disc corruption issues that pause the transfer, it will just sit there until I get back.

I guess I'm going to need to think about whether I should keep putting out applications if/when I start one of the jobs that are potentially available in the next week or so.

Looking really good Montro. It is definitely a seller's market for labor so I think you'll be working soon. And, after you've been there even a few weeks, if the job isn't what you want to do, at least you're re-establishing yourself in the working world, getting experience, developing references, and that gives you a lot more leverage to get something you look forward to doing each day.

Wow, I slept until 11AM this morning, musta needed the sleep.......

The VA missed the deadline, surprise, surprise so the closing has been moved to Friday the 24th which is pretty much a good thing. This new chemo regime had her sick for a week afterwards the last time so this will give her some time to get over that this time.
It also appears that NFCU hasn't been CCing my broker or the Title Company as I assumed they were so I took care of that, neither one knew what was happening, now they're in the loop.

Forum List

Back