USMB Coffee Shop IV

Wow, I slept until 11AM this morning, musta needed the sleep.......

The VA missed the deadline, surprise, surprise so the closing has been moved to Friday the 24th which is pretty much a good thing. This new chemo regime had her sick for a week afterwards the last time so this will give her some time to get over that this time.
It also appears that NFCU hasn't been CCing my broker or the Title Company as I assumed they were so I took care of that, neither one knew what was happening, now they're in the loop.

Frustration and relief. But hope things are proceeding as they should.

Hah, I have an interview/orientation tomorrow morning, so of course I just got a text about an interview tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying to find out now the timing to see if I can go to both.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with the staffing company for the morning appointment. It's only supposed to last 30 minutes, maybe an hour, so I should be good to go to both. Now I'll have to think about which job to choose should I be offered both, or even how to respond if I'm offered the job at the first place in the morning. I wouldn't want to turn down the first job, or even tell them I want to consider it and leave the possibility they just move on to someone else, if they offer the job tomorrow. I also don't know what the 2:30 interview job pays.

I've never really had to deal with this sort of thing before. My unusual job history hasn't led to getting multiple job offers at once the few times I've been job hunting. :p
When it rains it pours.

You're right about that. I had an orientation at 10:30 for a light industrial labor type of job, and I expect I'll get a call back about that soon. I just got home from an interview at a manufacturing warehouse; I had applied for an entry level manufacturing job (because why not?), but while I was being given a short tour of the facility, the man who was showing me around (who wasn't even the hiring manager, she is apparently out for this week) took me to see someone else, who apparently has a clerical position that may be available. It would involve shipping, doing labels and spreadsheet work. When I got home a few minutes ago, I checked my email. I got one email from a job site telling me that an employer had viewed my application for a third time, which supposedly means they are seriously considering me. That was for a medical records intake position. Finally, another place I had put a few applications in to sent an email about a medical transcriptionist job.

While none of these are quite job offers, I'm thinking at least a couple will offer me positions. The first one, through a staffing company, I feel will almost surely offer me the job. Having choices is nice, but I do worry a bit about not immediately accepting a position if it becomes available. I'd hate to tell someone, "Let me consider my options and get back to you," only to have them decide to rescind the offer. On the other hand, taking the first thing to come along might mean not getting the best job available. I think my friends would be fine with me trying to make the best choice rather than jumping at the first thing so that I have an income; they've told me that even once I start working, I probably won't be paying any bills, instead giving me the chance to get my savings built up some before I look at getting my own place. I feel bad about taking advantage of their generosity, though.

Finding things to worry about when I seem to finally be getting job opportunities is very much a me kind of thing. :lol:

Wow, I slept until 11AM this morning, musta needed the sleep.......

The VA missed the deadline, surprise, surprise so the closing has been moved to Friday the 24th which is pretty much a good thing. This new chemo regime had her sick for a week afterwards the last time so this will give her some time to get over that this time.
It also appears that NFCU hasn't been CCing my broker or the Title Company as I assumed they were so I took care of that, neither one knew what was happening, now they're in the loop.

I'm glad the closing date is better for you, but I wish the reason it's better weren't necessary.

Sometimes having more choices makes it more difficult. And, you will end up second-guessing the decision you do make, Montro. Any way you look at it, finding a job will be a good thing. You will be able to build a work history. One thing to be aware of, though, don't change too often. If you do take a fairly decent job wait until that really good one comes along before changing. People who hire often view a frequent change in jobs as a detriment.

Sometimes having more choices makes it more difficult. And, you will end up second-guessing the decision you do make, Montro. Any way you look at it, finding a job will be a good thing. You will be able to build a work history. One thing to be aware of, though, don't change too often. If you do take a fairly decent job wait until that really good one comes along before changing. People who hire often view a frequent change in jobs as a detriment.

I agree with that with 1 year probably being a good benchmark for the minimum of when to move on unless the job is simply intolerable or it is a low paying entry job in which not much is expected of you. (I've had a couple of those.) Hombre and I agreed early on that he would be the primary bread winner in our family and I would be the one to start over in each new place as he was transferred. And because he was promoted a LOT and pretty much each promotion involved a transfer to a new city, I had to start over a LOT. Sometimes I was lucky enough to get entry level jobs that offered upward mobility so I could stay with the same employer. And sometimes I had to make two or three moves to find a good fit.

Employers who don't expect to pay more than minimum or near minimum wage really don't expect to keep a really good employee when it is obvious he/she has a lot more capability though.

I agree with that with 1 year probably being a good benchmark for the minimum of when to move on unless the job is simply intolerable or it is a low paying entry job in which not much is expected of you. (I've had a couple of those.) Hombre and I agreed early on that he would be the primary bread winner in our family and I would be the one to start over in each new place as he was transferred. And because he was promoted a LOT and pretty much each promotion involved a transfer to a new city, I had to start over a LOT. Sometimes I was lucky enough to get entry level jobs that offered upward mobility so I could stay with the same employer. And sometimes I had to make two or three moves to find a good fit.

Employers who don't expect to pay more than minimum or near minimum wage really don't expect to keep a really good employee when it is obvious he/she has a lot more capability though.

The staffing company job is certainly entry level. All 4 of the possibilities that came up today probably qualify, but the one through the staffing company is the one most clearly the sort you're talking about. Unfortunately, it may also be the one likely to be offered first, so at this point I'm thinking I have to take it if that's the case. I don't want to wait on the other jobs without any way to know if they will be offered or not. I may have to take the staffing company job, then consider what to do if I get another offer, including the possibility of quitting the first one. I'm not sure if I should bring this up with the staffing company, or if that would basically guarantee they wouldn't place me. :lol:

The staffing company job is certainly entry level. All 4 of the possibilities that came up today probably qualify, but the one through the staffing company is the one most clearly the sort you're talking about. Unfortunately, it may also be the one likely to be offered first, so at this point I'm thinking I have to take it if that's the case. I don't want to wait on the other jobs without any way to know if they will be offered or not. I may have to take the staffing company job, then consider what to do if I get another offer, including the possibility of quitting the first one. I'm not sure if I should bring this up with the staffing company, or if that would basically guarantee they wouldn't place me. :lol:

Usually best not to offer too much information, most especially when you aren't asked.

60289841_2433296013367520_5900830081638465536_n.jpg

After spending a few minutes in the political sections of this and a few other message boards, this takes on new significance:

59987002_2340750196019327_1813661511101448192_n.jpg

After spending a few minutes in the political sections of this and a few other message boards, this takes on new significance:

Your magnanimity is truly impressive. I'm serious.

I just scrolled through three months of Coffee Shop from 2016 to find that great punch recipe you gave me back then. They keep calling for it!
Where it only has two ingredients, you'd think I'd remember--but it was the proportions; I knew it wasn't half strawberry pop and half pineapple juice, and this year I've got to mix it in pitchers that won't hold a whole can and bottle at once. So I'm going to wing it a bit. There's a scosh more juice than pop.

I'm probably the only person on earth who can make a two ingredient punch complicated.

Thanks though for everything Foxfyre.

I just scrolled through three months of Coffee Shop from 2016 to find that great punch recipe you gave me back then. They keep calling for it!
Where it only has two ingredients, you'd think I'd remember--but it was the proportions; I knew it wasn't half strawberry pop and half pineapple juice, and this year I've got to mix it in pitchers that won't hold a whole can and bottle at once. So I'm going to wing it a bit. There's a scosh more juice than pop.

I'm probably the only person on earth who can make a two ingredient punch complicated.

Thanks friend. It's people like you who keep me here. :)

The two ingredient punch recipe with pineapple is:

1 large (46 oz) can pineapple juice
2 liters of ginger ale
mixed with crushed ice

Or you can use grape juice with ginger ale
Or strawberry soda with ginger ale

It's pretty versatile. :)

To be a bit fancier:

1 large or 2 small boxes strawberry jello
dissolve in 2 cups boiling water
add 24 oz frozen lemonade concentrate - frozen or defrosted
Slowly add 2 liters ginger ale to taste.

Make all these punches with ginger ale not too long before
serving so the ginger ale doesn't go flat.

Last edited:

2 liters of ginger ale
mixed with crushed ice
The one you gave me (which is loved by all) is 1 large 46 oz can pineapple juice and 1 liter strawberry pop. That's 33/46 which doesn't reduce well at all to simple parts, but I think I've got a general idea.

It's very refreshing--goes great with the chocolate mayonnaise cake with an inch of peanut butter frosting that my friend makes--and it's a festive pink.

The pineapple/gingerale one sounds good too. I would have disappointed people on my hands though, if I didn't go with the original Foxfyre Punch.

2 liters of ginger ale
mixed with crushed ice
The one you gave me (which is loved by all) is 1 large 46 oz can pineapple juice and 1 liter strawberry pop. That's 33/46 which doesn't reduce well at all to simple parts, but I think I've got a general idea.

It's very refreshing--goes great with the chocolate mayonnaise cake with an inch of peanut butter frosting that my friend makes--and it's a festive pink.

The pineapple/gingerale one sounds good too. I would have disappointed people on my hands though, if I didn't go with the original Foxfyre Punch.

Oh yeah. I forgot that one, but it is in my repertoire too. And yes, it is surprisingly tasty and refreshing.

I've been trying to transfer files from my old hard drive, which froze up on me, to a new one I just bought. I was able to get the old one working again by opening it up and moving the read/write headers. However, although I got quite a lot of stuff off of it, I'm no longer able to access the files. It still spins up, and my PCs all can tell it's there, but they can't read from it.

I hooked it up directly to my gaming PC, which runs Win10. Right now it's trying to do a scan and repair on the disc. It basically started at 71%, and now it seems to be stuck at 73%. I'm going to leave it for a bit to see if it ever gets past this point, but I'm afraid it might just be too damaged to work any more. At least I was able to get quite a lot from it, and didn't pay some data recovery company $600+. :p

Forum List

Back