USMB Coffee Shop IV

Been reading a lot about antioxidants of dandelions lately. Those French use them in salads; no wonder they're so trim and healthy.

Yes dandelion greens especially are powerfully nutritious with listed benefits:
  1. Promote Eye Health.
  2. Decrease Water Weight.
  3. Aid in Weight Loss.
  4. Lower Triglycerides.
  5. Protect the Liver.
Nutritional content is listed at the link. Harvest the young tender leaves and bud before the flower opens. Harvest the roots in the fall they say.
https://davyandtracy.com/green-smoo...-use-dandelion-greens-in-your-green-smoothie/

Speaking from experience, dandelion greens are not all that tasty, run on the bitter side, and of course should never be used if sprayed with insecticides or herbicides. But mixed with other stuff they are beneficial and some folks actually grow them on purpose for that reason.

My crystal ball says #11, Code of Honor will win the Kentucky Derby today.

Hmm. Code of Honor has 12/1 odds at this hour. But even the flat out favorites are 5/1 and 8/1 right now. And everybody else is 12/1 or higher. So it looks like your pick has as good a chance as any. :) Has there EVER been a Derby with odds that looked like that? I don't remember one.

But I guess I'll go with Gray Magician or Master Fencer. Both are at 50/1 odds so my $2 bet could net me $100 :)

Seriously I would most likely bet on Cutting Humor even though he is at 30/1 odds. The jockey is Mike Smith who was riding Omaha Beach, the hands on favorite, before he was scratched.

I will likely change my mind if they actually let me get a good look at the horses going to the gate. I very often know which ones are going to do really well just by looking at them. It usually comes down to a feeling I get about how much the horse wants to run that day.

Last edited:
Finally got all the wind chimes hung up around the porch. A few had to be moved and two were new. That makes 17 in all. Some chimes are only a few inches long and my longest chimes are almost as long as I am tall. There are bamboo chimes, crystal chimes, and chimes with cats as decorations. It's probably a good thing I live out in the woods. While I love the music they make, I'm sure they would drive some city slicker nuts.

Here's a photo of mine :)

pulling-weeds-image-gloved-hand-garden-52529255.jpg

As one of the first flowers of Spring Dandelions are an important source of food for bees.

Morning all and happy . . .

cinco-de-mayo-clip-art-images-2014.jpg

We're off to get Aunt Betty (age 92 and counting) and get her to the airport so she will spend a week with friends in Texas. We will have Sally the Shi tzu for the week. All part of our friendly service. :)

Really odd Kentucky Derby this year. My poor old crystal ball failed me. My pick, Code of Honor came in second after all the smoke cleared. Gonna have to do some polishing on my crystal ball.

Really odd Kentucky Derby this year. My poor old crystal ball failed me. My pick, Code of Honor came in second after all the smoke cleared. Gonna have to do some polishing on my crystal ball.

Well he placed while the long shot (65/1?) won--not one of the long shots I picked though. :)

Been reading a lot about antioxidants of dandelions lately. Those French use them in salads; no wonder they're so trim and healthy.

1. Promote Eye Health.
  3. Aid in Weight Loss.
  4. Lower Triglycerides.
  5. Protect the Liver.
Nutritional content is listed at the link. Harvest the young tender leaves and bud before the flower opens. Harvest the roots in the fall they say.
https://davyandtracy.com/green-smoo...-use-dandelion-greens-in-your-green-smoothie/

Speaking from experience, dandelion greens are not all that tasty, run on the bitter side, and of course should never be used if sprayed with insecticides or herbicides. But mixed with other stuff they are beneficial and some folks actually grow them on purpose for that reason.
Why is everything that's good for us have to taste bad........ :eusa_whistle:

Good morning!
Glum and rainy here but I still have to work and will look forward to warming up when I come back in. The birch trees are leafing out and in a couple of days all will be green and fresh. Should I let the goatlings out before the partner arrives? It makes for great theater, watching him round the little brats up.
Today, I'll be building a compost heap and unloading hay. Hope my back and hip hold out long enough to get that much done.
Hope y'all have a good day, wherever you are.

1. Promote Eye Health.
  3. Aid in Weight Loss.
  4. Lower Triglycerides.
  5. Protect the Liver.

Why is everything that's good for us have to taste bad........ :eusa_whistle:

Dunno. I don't know why Omega 3s can't taste like donuts and why donuts can't taste like bitter greens or something.

I read a blurb on avoiding diabetes, and it said you should eat more ooey-gooey fatted meats, real butter, real cream, etc. It said you would be full and less likely to snack between meals. It also said eat plenty of bacon and eggs. It reminds me of a 50's or 60's song, "I'm on a drinking man's diet..." Al Sherman? Anyhow, he said he didn't lose any weight with all those diets, but he sure enjoyed eating. lololol

Well, the one thing, it said was it decreased swelling and the problem of getting gangrene in your fingers and toes. And now, I can't think of the reason she gave.

I read a blurb on avoiding diabetes, and it said you should eat more ooey-gooey fatted meats, real butter, real cream, etc. It said you would be full and less likely to snack between meals. It also said eat plenty of bacon and eggs. It reminds me of a 50's or 60's song, "I'm on a drinking man's diet..." Al Sherman? Anyhow, he said he didn't lose any weight with all those diets, but he sure enjoyed eating. lololol

Well, the one thing, it said was it decreased swelling and the problem of getting gangrene in your fingers and toes. And now, I can't think of the reason she gave.

I agree on the real butter and real cream as opposed to the artificial stuff--also real sweeteners as opposed to the artificial stuff as much as possible--real maple syrup, raw honey, etc. When sugar is out due to diabetes, the only 'artificial' sweetener I think is actually healthy is Stevia. Maybe because it is good for you even while it won't raise blood sugar levels? (Ringel doesn't like it though. :) )

Hombre is putting up a good fight, but I am trying to eliminate as many processed and artificial foods from our diet as is reasonable without feeling deprived.

I agree on the real butter and real cream as opposed to the artificial stuff--also real sweeteners as opposed to the artificial stuff as much as possible--real maple syrup, raw honey, etc. When sugar is out due to diabetes, the only 'artificial' sweetener I think is actually healthy is Stevia. Maybe because it is good for you even while it won't raise blood sugar levels? (Ringel doesn't like it though. :) )

Hombre is putting up a good fight, but I am trying to eliminate as many processed and artificial foods from our diet as is reasonable without feeling deprived.

I didn't like Stevia either until I started using a 1/8 teaspoon levelled off. It's over-sweet or something if you just use half a teaspoon, and it's hard to break the sugar habit after your athletic years are over. I prefer green tea now with no sugar at all, and am learning to like black tea with no sugar, either. I just can't drink coffee, however, sans hazelnut coffeemate which is sweetened out the wazoo or something. Probably should cut the coffee mug down to a demitasse cup. I have a collection, but only about 3 of the cups are microwavable due to old-time gilding of the demitasse cups once available on ebay. There comes a time in life when shopping loses its glamour. I think it's the price of gasoline.

I didn't like Stevia either until I started using a 1/8 teaspoon levelled off. It's over-sweet or something if you just use half a teaspoon, and it's hard to break the sugar habit after your athletic years are over. I prefer green tea now with no sugar at all, and am learning to like black tea with no sugar, either. I just can't drink coffee, however, sans hazelnut coffeemate which is sweetened out the wazoo or something. Probably should cut the coffee mug down to a demitasse cup. I have a collection, but only about 3 of the cups are microwavable due to old-time gilding of the demitasse cups once available on ebay. There comes a time in life when shopping loses its glamour. I think it's the price of gasoline.

I use about 6 to 8 drops of Stevia in my coffee along with a splash of real cream or half & half. Stevia on Amazon comes in a wide variety of flavors my favorite being English Toffee. Yum. Being a rather pricey food, it is good that it takes so very little to sweeten anything.

Until I absolutely have to, I won't give up my morning coffee though. It soothes my soul and makes me happy. One to three big mugs of it every day. :)

I use about 6 to 8 drops of Stevia in my coffee along with a splash of real cream or half & half. Stevia on Amazon comes in a wide variety of flavors my favorite being English Toffee. Yum. Being a rather pricey food, it is good that it takes so very little to sweeten anything.

Until I absolutely have to, I won't give up my morning coffee though. It soothes my soul and makes me happy. One to three big mugs of it every day. :)

Drops? Maybe they're not as pungent as the type I got in paper wrapers with about a tsp of way to oddly sweet stuff. That sounds good with the new protocol to use real cream and stuff. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.
And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Montrovant in difficult transition
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.
JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition and for positive trend to continue.
BigBlackDog aka BBD for healing and wellness
GallantWarrior for pain relief and healing,
Ringel for healing and Mrs. R facing serious health challenges in difficult transition
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we hope they do.

Spring has sprung pretty much everywhere now
Beautiful-nature-spring-photos-HD.jpg

Made shrimp scampi for the wife and blackened tilapia for me. Good thing it was a nice day, all the doors and windows are open........ :D

Forum List

Back