USMB Coffee Shop IV

Beautiful day in Albuquerque yesterday and all the windows and doors open. Wonderful.

But this morning it is 45f at our house and now that we have the heat turned off, the temps aren't supposed to get out of the mid 60's the rest of this week--55 for a high on Friday. So its dig all the sweatshirts and flannel shirts out of the winter closet again.

Yesterday our granddaughter was texting me where she was hunkered down in an inside bathroom in the Texas Panhandle with up to baseball size hail and tornado warnings everywhere. Bless her heart, she is terrified of storms anyway. But the tornadoes missed her town. And I suppose they missed the really big hail too.

Thunderstorms forecast for us this week too and we have Sally the Shi tzu, also terrified of storms, with us for the week. Aunt Betty is visiting friends in Texas this week.

Oh well, this too shall pass.

Our daughter called yesterday heartbroken that she was going to have to re-home her part pit bull dog that put one of her other dogs in the animal hospital yesterday--this is the last of several bloody fights in which she has also been injured trying to break them up. Sweet loving dog 99% of the time but vicious and possibly deadly when something--never know what--triggers her to attack.

I know many love and appreciate that breed of dog but there are simply too many stories like that for me to believe it is safe to have them. One of our acquaintances had a pit bull that was sweet, loving, and exhibited absolutely no aggressive behavior for years until one day it attacked and killed a crawling baby. I just don't think it is worth the risk.

On the lighter side:

59419294_2394034187330066_4089545207870128128_n.jpg

Disclaimer: not my idea but copied and pasted :)

Despite being educated in the public schools, the teenager decided to hire out as a handyman and set out to go door to door to sell his services.

In a well-to-do neighborhood he went to the front door of the first house, and asked the owner if he had any odd jobs to do.

"Well, I guess I could use somebody to paint my porch," he said, "How much will you charge me?"

Delighted, the kid quickly responded, "How about $50?"

The man agreed and said the paint, brushes and everything he would need was in the garage.

The man's wife, hearing the conversation said to her husband, "Does he realize that our porch goes ALL the way around the house?"

He responded, "That's a bit cynical, isn't it?"

The wife replied, "You're right. I guess I'm starting to believe all that stuff about dumbed down kids we've been getting by email lately."

Later that day, the teenager came to the door to collect his money.
"You're finished already?" the startled husband asked.

"Yes, he replied, and I even had paint left over, so I gave it two coats."

Impressed, the man reached into his pocket for the $50.00 and handed it to the kid along with a $10.00 tip.

“And, by the way," the teenager added, "it's not a Porch, it's a Lexus."

I may have a job. Got a call from a staffing company today, went in to their office for a few quick questions and to finish filling out some forms. I'll get a call tomorrow to let me know the situation, and may start as early as next week if I have the job.

It's not related to my degree, and it doesn't pay that much, but the company supposedly has good opportunity for promotion should I get hired directly. I've also still got plenty of applications out there (I've probably put in something like 150 at this point), so better for me to get an income and a traditional job for experience now, then see what happens in the future when it comes up.

I just hope I don't take this job and then have one that pays a lot better contact me right after I start. :lol:

Our daughter called yesterday heartbroken that she was going to have to re-home her part pit bull dog that put one of her other dogs in the animal hospital yesterday--this is the last of several bloody fights in which she has also been injured trying to break them up. Sweet loving dog 99% of the time but vicious and possibly deadly when something--never know what--triggers her to attack.

I know many love and appreciate that breed of dog but there are simply too many stories like that for me to believe it is safe to have them. One of our acquaintances had a pit bull that was sweet, loving, and exhibited absolutely no aggressive behavior for years until one day it attacked and killed a crawling baby. I just don't think it is worth the risk.
Regrettably, aggression has been bred into them and gentle handling and good training may suppress the aggressive nature, it is still there in the genes. I have no need for an aggressive dog and I cannot see ever having a pit or pit mix on my place. Many dog breeds have been developed for specific traits to better serve a specific purpose. It's always best to research a breed before you decide to own one. I used to adore Jack Russel terriers. The are smart, active, and just generally engaging. But they have been bred to be ratters. I read several articles that pointed out that a Jack should never be trusted in a household with other small animals, particularly cats. Even Jacks raised from puppyhood with cats could turn on their mates. It's in their nature.

I may have a job. Got a call from a staffing company today, went in to their office for a few quick questions and to finish filling out some forms. I'll get a call tomorrow to let me know the situation, and may start as early as next week if I have the job.

It's not related to my degree, and it doesn't pay that much, but the company supposedly has good opportunity for promotion should I get hired directly. I've also still got plenty of applications out there (I've probably put in something like 150 at this point), so better for me to get an income and a traditional job for experience now, then see what happens in the future when it comes up.

I just hope I don't take this job and then have one that pays a lot better contact me right after I start. :lol:

That's the risk you take though. Take the less than optimum job with possibilities and risk later being offer that great job. Tough decision. But you'll make the right one.

Having a job--pretty much ANY job--makes you much more employable to hiring managers than does being unemployed.

But I am sending all manner of positive vibes your way.

Murphy's Law says that better job will come up fairly quickly. But you shouldn't just wait for perfection. Get out there, take what you can, do your best. When the time comes to move on, you will get good references and have built up some experience. Plus, it's more difficult to get a job if you've been unemployed for too long.
Good luck, Montro!

That's the risk you take though. Take the less than optimum job with possibilities and risk later being offer that great job. Tough decision. But you'll make the right one.

Having a job--pretty much ANY job--makes you much more employable to hiring managers than does being unemployed.

I've still got a number of applications in with USPS, and that process seems glacially slow, so maybe something with that will come up in a few months and I can decide then what to do. I don't like the idea of getting a job only to quickly abandon it, so I hope to at least get a couple of months at this place if I'm hired before I have to make that sort of decision.

Last minute scramble to get the final paperwork in for closing on the house next week. Thought everything was done till I woke up to an email asking for some additional paperwork due by the end of business today....... :cranky:
Yesterday it was scrambling to re-scan and resubmit my DD-214, VA rejected the first one I sent as "illegible"....... It was slightly angled cutting off the corners which had info on it that was unimportant. Friggin' bureaucrats......

I've still got a number of applications in with USPS, and that process seems glacially slow, so maybe something with that will come up in a few months and I can decide then what to do. I don't like the idea of getting a job only to quickly abandon it, so I hope to at least get a couple of months at this place if I'm hired before I have to make that sort of decision.

None of us who are in any way responsible want to quit a job quickly after taking it. But I have had so many MANY jobs that were stepping stones to something better--a whole bunch of us have done that--so I expected my own people taking entry level jobs to accept something better when it came up and that I was in no position to offer. So don't worry about that so much. Be as ethical as you can and earn your pay while you're there. Make your supervisor or boss glad he hired you. Be appreciative of the opportunity. Don't admit the job may be a stepping stone and don't promise to stay any given length of time other than giving proper notice to give your employer reasonable time to replace you.

Last edited:

None of us who are in any way responsible want to quit a job quickly after taking it. But I have had so many MANY jobs that were stepping stones to something better--a whole bunch of us have done that--so I expected my own people taking entry level jobs to accept something better when it came up and that I was in no position to offer. So don't worry about that so much. Be as ethical as you can and earn your pay while you're there. Make your supervisor or boss glad he hired you. Be appreciative of the opportunity. Don't admit the job may be a stepping stone and don't promise to stay any given length of time other than giving proper notice to give your employer reasonable time to replace you.

I know those things intellectually, but emotionally the idea of quitting a job feels bad to me. I've never had a really bad job, so that might color my opinion, but when I quit working at a convenience store (a job I took out of desperation, basically, because I had bills to pay) to become a nanny, I felt like an ass for doing it. I hadn't been treated badly at the job, I'd been looked at for management, so despite never looking at it as a long-term career, and despite it being a high-turnover job, I felt bad for leaving it after only a few months.

Maybe I'll get this job and it will turn out to be a great company, I'll get hired directly and end up working there for years, who knows? :)

I know those things intellectually, but emotionally the idea of quitting a job feels bad to me. I've never had a really bad job, so that might color my opinion, but when I quit working at a convenience store (a job I took out of desperation, basically, because I had bills to pay) to become a nanny, I felt like an ass for doing it. I hadn't been treated badly at the job, I'd been looked at for management, so despite never looking at it as a long-term career, and despite it being a high-turnover job, I felt bad for leaving it after only a few months.

Maybe I'll get this job and it will turn out to be a great company, I'll get hired directly and end up working there for years, who knows? :)

I do understand. Honorable people don't like feeling they are being deceptive or ungrateful even when in actuality they are not being that. For now don't worry about it. I have had jobs that didn't start out as much and turned out to be terrific opportunities too. (Hombre got transferred a LOT the first half of our marriage and I was the one who agreed to start over in every new place. :) )

If it is an emotional struggle for you to use jobs as stepping stones, if this offer doesn't materialize, you might consider signing up with a temp agency. It could get you some experience and put some money in your pocket until something attractive and permanent turned up. And those folks EXPECT you to take permanent jobs when they are offered. :)

I do understand. Honorable people don't like feeling they are being deceptive or ungrateful even when in actuality they are not being that. For now don't worry about it. I have had jobs that didn't start out as much and turned out to be terrific opportunities too. (Hombre got transferred a LOT the first half of our marriage and I was the one who agreed to start over in every new place. :) )

If it is an emotional struggle for you to use jobs as stepping stones, if this offer doesn't materialize, you might consider signing up with a temp agency. It could get you some experience and put some money in your pocket until something attractive and permanent turned up. And those folks EXPECT you to take permanent jobs when they are offered. :)

I've applied to jobs through a number of staffing agencies, and this one is also through a staffing agency. It could end up just being a temporary thing, there's no guarantee the company will hire me directly even if I want them to. :p

I've applied to jobs through a number of staffing agencies, and this one is also through a staffing agency. It could end up just being a temporary thing, there's no guarantee the company will hire me directly even if I want them to. :p

If they aren't offering you a permanent job, there is absolutely no ethical problem with you not regarding it as one. :)

Most if not all staffing agencies have a contract with the employers stating the employer cannot directly hire someone filling a position through the agency without paying the agency $X amount. The other way is the temp they want to hire cannot work at that company for anywhere from three to six months.
Some larger companies will gladly pay the agency the agreed upon contract price if the company really wants the temp to be a permanent employee bad enough.

Forum List

Back