USMB Coffee Shop IV

Alas, the love of my life, soul mate, and very dear Hombre is one of those guys. You know, the ones who get much more excited about the gadgets and equipment than they do about the actual activity. :)

59837071_10162529040600377_7370846595052470272_n.jpg
And...he moves to Alaska to use it all to catch those big salmon!

:) I suppose if we didn't have so many responsibilities here right now, we would move somewhere. We did love Alaska when we were there but have family ties elsewhere so. . . .
Alaska is beautiful but can be pretty tough, especially in the winter. It's really cold, often icy, and dark. We are also pretty remote, so family ties are best local, if possible. I can't remember how many times my siblings asked me if I realized how expensive it was to go to Alaska. Hell, yeah, I visited the Lower 48 often enough to know that.

I suppose though that it is affordable if you have your own land and build your own house. Hombre was offered a transfer to Alaska once and also once to the Virgin Islands. Both would have been great experiences but we had very young children then and it just seemed too great a risk for them at that time. Then again maybe we shortchanged them by not doing it. I long ago gave up dwelling on what could have been. :)

But at this point in our lives it is comforting to have great reliable public services and healthcare a few minutes away. And physical limitations no longer accommodate splitting wood, winterizing, snow and ice removal, and dealing with the other challenges of a harsh winter climate. So we will enjoy the tales and adventures of those of you who help us be mental travellers more than real ones these days.

Alas, the love of my life, soul mate, and very dear Hombre is one of those guys. You know, the ones who get much more excited about the gadgets and equipment than they do about the actual activity. :)

:) I suppose if we didn't have so many responsibilities here right now, we would move somewhere. We did love Alaska when we were there but have family ties elsewhere so. . . .
Alaska is beautiful but can be pretty tough, especially in the winter. It's really cold, often icy, and dark. We are also pretty remote, so family ties are best local, if possible. I can't remember how many times my siblings asked me if I realized how expensive it was to go to Alaska. Hell, yeah, I visited the Lower 48 often enough to know that.

I suppose though that it is affordable if you have your own land and build your own house. Hombre was offered a transfer to Alaska once and also once to the Virgin Islands. Both would have been great experiences but we had very young children then and it just seemed too great a risk for them at that time. Then again maybe we shortchanged them by not doing it. I long ago gave up dwelling on what could have been. :)

But at this point in our lives it is comforting to have great reliable public services and healthcare a few minutes away. And physical limitations no longer accommodate splitting wood, winterizing, snow and ice removal, and dealing with the other challenges of a harsh winter climate. So we will enjoy the tales and adventures of those of you who help us be mental travellers more than real ones these days.
My buddy did note that I definitely need this hip replacement if I plan on continuing here. Yanno, I sometimes wonder how our forefathers (and mothers) managed an un-automated lifestyle. I do manage to tough things out but do look forward to what modern medicine might do to help me do this longer.

My buddy did note that I definitely need this hip replacement if I plan on continuing here. Yanno, I sometimes wonder how our forefathers (and mothers) managed an un-automated lifestyle. I do manage to tough things out but do look forward to what modern medicine might do to help me do this longer.

I'm hoping that a few weeks from now you will be kicking your own butt for not getting it done sooner. :)

I'm hoping that a few weeks from now you will be kicking your own butt for not getting it done sooner. :)
Me too!
I'm hoping for a rapid and full recovery. I have my brother for a solid four weeks. Six weeks, but he'll be grumpy for the last two. After that, I'm hoping for release to drive and assume light duty at work. Pay's the same for sitting in an office, but it will be day work. That means a daily commute through 50 miles of "rush hour" traffic...in winter. If I cannot handle the animals, the partner will have to start commuting daily. I hate to do that to him, but I cannot risk the damage that might occur dealing with bossy, pushy goats.

Me too!
I'm hoping for a rapid and full recovery. I have my brother for a solid four weeks. Six weeks, but he'll be grumpy for the last two. After that, I'm hoping for release to drive and assume light duty at work. Pay's the same for sitting in an office, but it will be day work. That means a daily commute through 50 miles of "rush hour" traffic...in winter. If I cannot handle the animals, the partner will have to start commuting daily. I hate to do that to him, but I cannot risk the damage that might occur dealing with bossy, pushy goats.

upload_2019-6-24_20-20-30.png

I don't expect to ever have a 'she shed' like Cheryl, but if I do, I want it to be this one. :)

64322733_449462342280235_5450379538041143296_n.jpg

Last edited:
I don't expect to ever have a 'she shed' like Cheryl, but if I do, I want it to be this one. :)

64322733_449462342280235_5450379538041143296_n.jpg
Foxfyre, that is so beautiful. It sent me on a cyber journey into sheds, and some of them are not quite as amazing as yours, but I thought if an inveterate handyman is among us and runs across a local teardown anytime in the near feature, he could buy off the windows of the old place and build something remotely like this for his garden or farm:
A Dream Outdoor Summer House & Gardening Shed
th

Another from old windows:
Build-a-Greenhouse-from-Old-Windows-to-Decorate-for-Holidays_wm.jpg

Wow! Give the architect among us a few windows from a ramshackle homestead...​

Last edited:
It is the kind of day closing the windows and firing up the air conditioning is absolutely the right thing to do (if something that makes you cool should be 'fired up'). What should we expect? We have had rain five of the passed seven days.

In the morning I see fog lifting from the valleys and ravines. They are steep, fall from 1,200 feet to 550 feet, the mean water level in our pool of the Ohio River, and are forested with a variety of hardwoods. The oaks and poplars and hickories pump the water up from our soggy soil then throw the vapor off as if it was smoke from a forest fire.

When you give us temperatures in the high 80s and couple that with humidity in the high 80%, dear Lord, we thank you for giving us the brain power to invent central air.

The folks who live here are resigned to the conditions of high summer. Give us six months and we'll find something else about the weather we can bitch about.

It is the kind of day closing the windows and firing up the air conditioning is absolutely the right thing to do (if something that makes you cool should be 'fired up'). What should we expect? We have had rain five of the passed seven days.

In the morning I see fog lifting from the valleys and ravines. They are steep, fall from 1,200 feet to 550 feet, the mean water level in our pool of the Ohio River, and are forested with a variety of hardwoods. The oaks and poplars and hickories pump the water up from our soggy soil then throw the vapor off as if it was smoke from a forest fire.

When you give us temperatures in the high 80s and couple that with humidity in the high 80%, dear Lord, we thank you for giving us the brain power to invent central air.

The folks who live here are resigned to the conditions of high summer. Give us six months and we'll find something else about the weather we can bitch about.

You do have a way of painting word pictures, Nosmo. You can almost see and feel the experiences and visuals you describe.

We have had an odd late spring and summer. Normally the temperatures in and around Albuquerque peak daily in the high 90's, and every once in awhile reach the 100f mark. But June is almost gone and we are still struggling to make it into the low 90's each day. The humidity has not dropped into the single digits that is normal for this time of year either so conditions are fairly comfortable though our humidity would be bone dry to you folks in the Ohio Valley.

And because the clouds are obscuring most of the late afternoon sun which of course helps it stay cooler, it feels like the monsoon has already started. The monsoon normally doesn't begin until after the 4th of July and I don't see any evidence of it on the radar, but it still feels like it.

Haven't been posting lately, really busy trying to get stuff done, today I installed the baseboard I painted yesterday in the great room and master bedroom. This also meant I had to add to the flooring the "kids" didn't get close enough to the walls, all of this bending over because I can't kneel. I'm wasted, hopefully I won't be too sore during the drive down to Roswell tomorrow for another trailer run.
As for the baseboard I have much more to paint and install........
At least I'm getting some exercise.

Haven't been posting lately, really busy trying to get stuff done, today I installed the baseboard I painted yesterday in the great room and master bedroom. This also meant I had to add to the flooring the "kids" didn't get close enough to the walls, all of this bending over because I can't kneel. I'm wasted, hopefully I won't be too sore during the drive down to Roswell tomorrow for another trailer run.
As for the baseboard I have much more to paint and install........
At least I'm getting some exercise.

We all know what you're going through right now and I'm pretty sure it doesn't leave a lot of time to just kick back and relax. But we're happy when you check in now and then. :)

Forum List

Back