USMB Coffee Shop IV

:FIREdevil: 85F today! At least we don't have the smoke up here that they do in Anchorage. Sometimes the nearby mountains are completely hidden in the smoky haze. About all I really want to do when it's this hot is find a cold drink and a shady seat and slump into the chair hoping for a wayward breeze.
It was 91 when we left Roswell just after noon.......
The wife drove her Prius and by the time we made it home she was wiped out, she hit the bed and slept for two hours. I'm exhausted from the drive and unloading three bookshelves loaded in the bed of the truck by myself, looked like it might rain. It was up to 96 degrees by then........ I fell asleep for about an hour in my chair with the swamp cooler running. I have to unload the car later when it cools down some then maybe pull some stuff out of the trailer.
I'd be concerned about the books if it looked like rain, but I understand the need for rest. I'm postponing unloading and stacking a truck load of hay until early Monday morning. I'm saving most of my "heavy lifting" until early morning because I can barely move in these temps.
Is you wife's treatment affected by the heat?

:FIREdevil: 85F today! At least we don't have the smoke up here that they do in Anchorage. Sometimes the nearby mountains are completely hidden in the smoky haze. About all I really want to do when it's this hot is find a cold drink and a shady seat and slump into the chair hoping for a wayward breeze.
It was 91 when we left Roswell just after noon.......
The wife drove her Prius and by the time we made it home she was wiped out, she hit the bed and slept for two hours. I'm exhausted from the drive and unloading three bookshelves loaded in the bed of the truck by myself, looked like it might rain. It was up to 96 degrees by then........ I fell asleep for about an hour in my chair with the swamp cooler running. I have to unload the car later when it cools down some then maybe pull some stuff out of the trailer.
I'd be concerned about the books if it looked like rain, but I understand the need for rest. I'm postponing unloading and stacking a truck load of hay until early Monday morning. I'm saving most of my "heavy lifting" until early morning because I can barely move in these temps.
Is you wife's treatment affected by the heat?
Well the books are already inside the house, trailer or the storage unit so everything is protected. The wife is exhausted due to the treatment itself, it takes a lot out of her so I was proud of her actually driving the car for 3+ hours even though she did snap at me when we stopped for gas. Claimed I was doing 85 mph and she couldn't keep up, I never got above 75 mph, the speed limit. She did apologize when we got home.

My brother and sister-in-law took part in a neighborhood yard sale today. Are they called 'yard sales' in your neck of the woods? I ask because my sainted Scout Master would say,"We're holding a Rummage Sale next Thursday through Saturday, so bring all your rummage."

But a sweaty day haggling over the price of that lamp Aunt Dorothy gave them at their wedding. The lamp was a family 'booby prize'. It served as the trophy for failing our turns at charades on Pop's birthday. A thirteen inch high reproduction of the Venus d' Milo with a gold rimmed clock right where all the good bits should be.

So the trophy has been swapped for the price of a Big Mac. C'est le guerre.

Their dog, Daisy the Mutt's cousin, Teddy just couldn't understand all the busy foot traffic right outside his window. When you read A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh to your wee bairn and you introduce Tigger to that adorable toe headed butterball nesting into your arms, isn't reading with the most enthusiasm is just the natural way to go? That level of enthusiasm would have to be doubled where Teddy is concerned. He was barking himself hoarse and throwing himself against the door and windows.

So, ultimately, Teddy won. He spent an otherwise harrowing day sucking up central air with Daisy.

But that's not the tune the muse is singing this evening. On hard sales. Every year they hold a yard sale along the alignment of U.S. Route 30. The Lincoln Highway. Folks in the small towns and villages drag card tables and picnic tables and live edge river tables with epoxy resin inlays out to the front yard. And upon these tables is everything found at an English car boot sale.

It seems that the farther west you travel along Route 30, the bigger the venues. Old drive-in theaters are repurposed as a community yard sale site. Hell! When I heard that the Rose Bowl was used as a flea market I nearly plotzed. I know Presbyterians shouldn't bring the Yiddish. We'd speak it while choking down a boiled ham on white bun with a schmear of mayonnaise. Imagine. The Rose Bowl where my beloved The Ohio State Universy Buckeyes triumphed so often was where you could get a great deal on a pair of flip flops.

I am not involved in the garage sale culture. I understand it. You might wind up on Antiques Roadshow with a big goofy grin on your face. Well done! You might be doing a service the way crows and vultures clean the woods and roadways. You might enjoy the shopping experience and meeting new folks. Fantastic!

But I'm not much of a shopper even during the devolution of downtown shopping districts to massive shopping malls. Shopping is a chore for me. I dated a lovely woman a few years back. She holds a degree from another Big Ten school which shall remain nameless.

I took her to a Pirates game early in the season. While it was a warm day, by game time there was a chill in the air. We ducked into Kaufmann's Department store (since bought out by Macy's and they're gone now too). I bought us Pirates hoodies. She then sniffed over two racks of costume jewelry earrings the way a stray dog sniffs over the dumpster behind the butcher's shop. It seemed to me that we were standing in the jewelry department while the lineups were exchanged.

She loved shopping. And her degree is in Home Economics.

Hard morning, it's moving season so all the labor help had been hired out well ahead of time so I had to unload the trailer myself which included some very heavy pieces. Note the kids that loaded it did it in just under two hours, I paced myself and it took me five hours to unload. Towards the end I tried hard to break my leg moving the log headboard into place, luckily I only succeeded in bruising my shin. Thankfully the two wardrobes are each two piece though the upper section is twice the weight of the lower section and the dresser I refinished for the wife two years ago is solid maple so even the drawers are heavy......... Sore and tired but doing better than I thought I would do, guess all this exercise is helping out after all. Next is to finish getting the baseboard in and more painting done as well as clean out the mess in the garage and try to organize it. Finally we'll have to spend maybe 5 days in Roswell with the final packing, final Uhaul load and cleaning.

I guess I had a better day than you, my friend. Last night, I took a lady friend to Owa, Foley's new amusement park/ entertainment venue. An amazing place, really. It sits on just over 600 acres between my place and down town Foley Maybe a mile and a half as the crow flies, close to 3 miles by road. Now, I'm terrified of heights but absolutely love roller coasters. After Owa, we stopped by Doc Holliday's to listen to live music by The Sideliners and then back to my place for a bit of quiet time. She's never been to my house so.... I got her home just before 3 and made it home by 3:30 and was up at 6:45.
I'm doing remarkably well despite 3 hour's sleep after opening up at 8 AM thenkeeping up with a young lady 26 years my junior all evening and most of the night. I actually just returned home an hour ago after taking her to dinner on the beach in Pensacola

I guess I had a better day than you, my friend. Last night, I took a lady friend to Owa, Foley's new amusement park/ entertainment venue. An amazing place, really. It sits on just over 600 acres between my place and down town Foley Maybe a mile and a half as the crow flies, close to 3 miles by road. Now, I'm terrified of heights but absolutely love roller coasters. After Owa, we stopped by Doc Holliday's to listen to live music by The Sideliners and then back to my place for a bit of quiet time. She's never been to my house so.... I got her home just before 3 and made it home by 3:30 and was up at 6:45.
I'm doing remarkably well despite 3 hour's sleep after opening up at 8 AM thenkeeping up with a young lady 26 years my junior all evening and most of the night. I actually just returned home an hour ago after taking her to dinner on the beach in Pensacola
Apparently I can't handle the G forces too well, I can usually do one roller coaster ride and that's it unless I want to be laid up with a pounding headache and severely upset stomach for a couple of hours afterwards. I would have never made it as a fighter pilot.........

Apparently I can't handle the G forces too well, I can usually do one roller coaster ride and that's it unless I want to be laid up with a pounding headache and severely upset stomach for a couple of hours afterwards. I would have never made it as a fighter pilot.........

The heights and g-forces don't bother me but the speed of a roller coaster is terrifying to me. I shut my eyes and pray that it be over. So not much fun for me. :)

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.
And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Montrovant for continued progress in his transition.
JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition and for positive trend to continue.
Seagal and Mr. Seagal.
Beautress for wellness
Peach for healing
GallantWarrior for pain relief and healing in advance of surgery.
Ringel for healing and Mrs. R facing serious health challenges in difficult transition
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so that those who have been away can find their way back.

cc9ef3e873c002da5b6710c343dbe5c1.jpg

Greetings, All!
Up early this morning, got the hay unloaded and stacked, a few other things done before the partner showed up. I'm on a lunch break now and will be heading out to get more stuff done I a few.
For many of our age, pacing ourselves is the key to getting things done. No, they don't get done as quickly as they once did, and we're usually quite ready for a break when that time comes. The heat up here right now is brutal but at least in my neck of the woods (pun intended) we aren't buried under the smoke from the wildfire on the Peninsula. Anchorage is really bad right now and the warnings are out to stay inside unless you have to and they are telling people which types of filter masks will work if they have to be outside. The fire on the Kenai Peninsula is on uninhabited public land and is being contained. There's another big fire up near Fairbanks that is threatening a couple of subdivisions. Residents there have been directed to prepare for evacuation. 'Tis the season...

Greetings, All!
Up early this morning, got the hay unloaded and stacked, a few other things done before the partner showed up. I'm on a lunch break now and will be heading out to get more stuff done I a few.
For many of our age, pacing ourselves is the key to getting things done. No, they don't get done as quickly as they once did, and we're usually quite ready for a break when that time comes. The heat up here right now is brutal but at least in my neck of the woods (pun intended) we aren't buried under the smoke from the wildfire on the Peninsula. Anchorage is really bad right now and the warnings are out to stay inside unless you have to and they are telling people which types of filter masks will work if they have to be outside. The fire on the Kenai Peninsula is on uninhabited public land and is being contained. There's another big fire up near Fairbanks that is threatening a couple of subdivisions. Residents there have been directed to prepare for evacuation. 'Tis the season...

You would think Alaska, one of the wettest places we had ever visited for all the time we were there, wouldn't have wild fires. But yes, it is the season. Until the last couple of days we were getting smoke from an Arizona fire several hundred miles away. Not as bad as in some years though since we have had an unusual amount of spring moisture ahead of the monsoon that should arrive within the next couple of weeks.

Alaska is wet but that is deceiving. We have relatively low humidity because most of our moisture is in the ground. Where else can you walk across a pond overgrown with plants (muskeg). It's like walking on a water bed and you often have to traverse such an area to get to a good fishing spot.
I'm glad
I probably posted this one before, but just ran across it again. You have to at least grin. . .

65762902_147470553034575_5849875873833943040_n.jpg
Keeyoott!

Forum List

Back