USMB Coffee Shop IV

It is spectacular here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area! The vistas all look like postcard shots. As clear a sky as we ever get with temperatures into the high 70s and narry a whiff of humidity.

I was reminiscing about what the environment was like when I was a kid. When I was born, there were only 48 states, nothing had been blasted into orbit and the steel mills strung along the banks of the Ohio River like a string of sooty pearls were in full blast.

The mill just outside the state line was in Midland, PA. I worked there while I was home from college. A lot of my friends worked there too. Just down stream in Weirton, WV was the nation's largest sheet steel manufacturer specializing in steel food and beverage container cans.

They had an old blast furnace there that would emit clouds of electric arc furnace dust. What EPA regulations call K-O 67. Just know that this dust is rusty orange in color, very fine particles and stains what it lands on. The whole town of Weirton had an amber to rust colored patina. It snowed orange in Weirton.

When school shopping season rolled around we would pile into the big two toned Mercury and drive to nearby Baden, PA, only fourteen miles upstream as the river flows. The Northern Lights shopping center was directly across the river from the J&L Steel mill in Aliquippa.

Rail cars full of slag rendered out in the bank of blast furnaces would dump their molten loads down the river bank. It was as close to a volcanic eruption as we will ever get in this valley. But the hazardous metals in that slag; the lead, right into the river. And that river serves my drinking water.

In Midlad, which is the nearest mill to the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate, they made 27% of the stainless steel consumed in the free world. Making that stainless involves immersing the strip of steel in hydrochloric acid. At night, when they purged the tanks of acid, a yellow haze was visible. As if you borrowed Charlton Hesron's shooting shades. Cars rusted from the roof down instead of from the wheel wells and rocker panels up.

But the most acute environmental hazard in my neighborhood was blasting caps. They were completing the southernmost highway link between Lake Erie and the Ohio River, about 100 miles. This end of the highway involved moving a massive amount of soil rock and shale. And that means blasting with high explosives.

To set them off a primer or blasting caps are used. The fear was one of us kids would happen on a stray blasting cap and blow ourselves to smithereens.

Visible air, contaminated water and explosives as inviting to a young boy as a circus parade. It's a wonder I made it! And it's a wonder we got it cleaned up!

Alaska is wet but that is deceiving. We have relatively low humidity because most of our moisture is in the ground. Where else can you walk across a pond overgrown with plants (muskeg). It's like walking on a water bed and you often have to traverse such an area to get to a good fishing spot.
I'm glad
I probably posted this one before, but just ran across it again. You have to at least grin. . .

65762902_147470553034575_5849875873833943040_n.jpg
Keeyoott!

Our Dhryfus, half Keeshoud and half Lhasa, was the most remarkable, intelligent, intuitive, even psychic fur baby we have ever been blessed with--that one special dog that some of us are blessed with in a lifetime. He was a great guard dog sounding big and fierce though he wasn't all that big and he wouldn't hurt a fly. He could catch a butterfly in his mouth, open his mouth, and the butterfly would fly away. The rabbits up on the mountain had his number. They would run knowing he would chase them and then would move slightly off the path. You could almost hear them snicker as he charged by. But if he had caught one he would not have hurt it.

Anyhow my Aunt Betty and Uncle Ed (RIP) lived in a lovely home in west Dallas before they moved to Albuquerque and she made the mistake of feeding one or two feral cats. In no time she had this whole pack of cats that showed up at feeding time. We had arrived there one early afternoon and before long Dhryfus needed to go out to do his business. So I opened the back door and here came this large herd of cats running for the door. Dhryfus hesitated a bit, but he really needed to go, so he stuck his nose as high in the air as he could get it and stepped gingerly and carefully through those cats to get to the yard. Not one of them hissed or spit at him. It was an amazing thing to see. :)

It is spectacular here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area! The vistas all look like postcard shots. As clear a sky as we ever get with temperatures into the high 70s and narry a whiff of humidity.

I was reminiscing about what the environment was like when I was a kid. When I was born, there were only 48 states, nothing had been blasted into orbit and the steel mills strung along the banks of the Ohio River like a string of sooty pearls were in full blast.

The mill just outside the state line was in Midland, PA. I worked there while I was home from college. A lot of my friends worked there too. Just down stream in Weirton, WV was the nation's largest sheet steel manufacturer specializing in steel food and beverage container cans.

They had an old blast furnace there that would emit clouds of electric arc furnace dust. What EPA regulations call K-O 67. Just know that this dust is rusty orange in color, very fine particles and stains what it lands on. The whole town of Weirton had an amber to rust colored patina. It snowed orange in Weirton.

When school shopping season rolled around we would pile into the big two toned Mercury and drive to nearby Baden, PA, only fourteen miles upstream as the river flows. The Northern Lights shopping center was directly across the river from the J&L Steel mill in Aliquippa.

Rail cars full of slag rendered out in the bank of blast furnaces would dump their molten loads down the river bank. It was as close to a volcanic eruption as we will ever get in this valley. But the hazardous metals in that slag; the lead, right into the river. And that river serves my drinking water.

In Midlad, which is the nearest mill to the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate, they made 27% of the stainless steel consumed in the free world. Making that stainless involves immersing the strip of steel in hydrochloric acid. At night, when they purged the tanks of acid, a yellow haze was visible. As if you borrowed Charlton Hesron's shooting shades. Cars rusted from the roof down instead of from the wheel wells and rocker panels up.

But the most acute environmental hazard in my neighborhood was blasting caps. They were completing the southernmost highway link between Lake Erie and the Ohio River, about 100 miles. This end of the highway involved moving a massive amount of soil rock and shale. And that means blasting with high explosives.

To set them off a primer or blasting caps are used. The fear was one of us kids would happen on a stray blasting cap and blow ourselves to smithereens.

Visible air, contaminated water and explosives as inviting to a young boy as a circus parade. It's a wonder I made it! And it's a wonder we got it cleaned up!
So glad we have amended our ways since then. Too bad so many other nations have not. How's the water?

Alaska is wet but that is deceiving. We have relatively low humidity because most of our moisture is in the ground. Where else can you walk across a pond overgrown with plants (muskeg). It's like walking on a water bed and you often have to traverse such an area to get to a good fishing spot.
I'm glad
I probably posted this one before, but just ran across it again. You have to at least grin. . .

65762902_147470553034575_5849875873833943040_n.jpg
Keeyoott!

Our Dhryfus, half Keeshoud and half Lhasa, was the most remarkable, intelligent, intuitive, even psychic fur baby we have ever been blessed with--that one special dog that some of us are blessed with in a lifetime. He was a great guard dog sounding big and fierce though he wasn't all that big and he wouldn't hurt a fly. He could catch a butterfly in his mouth, open his mouth, and the butterfly would fly away. The rabbits up on the mountain had his number. They would run knowing he would chase them and then would move slightly off the path. You could almost hear them snicker as he charged by. But if he had caught one he would not have hurt it.

Anyhow my Aunt Betty and Uncle Ed (RIP) lived in a lovely home in west Dallas before they moved to Albuquerque and she made the mistake of feeding one or two feral cats. In no time she had this whole pack of cats that showed up at feeding time. We had arrived there one early afternoon and before long Dhryfus needed to go out to do his business. So I opened the back door and here came this large herd of cats running for the door. Dhryfus hesitated a bit, but he really needed to go, so he stuck his nose as high in the air as he could get it and stepped gingerly and carefully through those cats to get to the yard. Not one of them hissed or spit at him. It was an amazing thing to see. :)
Symbiotic relationship.
I'm down to three pre-feral cats now. The old lady cat went missing two weeks ago and I do not expect her back. I do miss her, though.

I got the body control module I bought to replace my failing one installed in my car successfully. I didn't get it done yesterday, apparently because I was doing it slightly wrong. Today I found better instructions and it worked this time. It hopefully means no more weird activity from my gauges, wipers, or other secondary electronics.

So glad we have amended our ways since then. Too bad so many other nations have not. How's the water?
In 1996 or so, they held a BassMasters tournament in and around Pittsburgh. The Ohio River starts there at The Point. Mile 0. As the river flows west by northwest for the first 37 miles, passing through two sets of locks and dams and at last, here at the junction of three states, the river rolls passed East Liverpool, Ohio. In between The Burgh and The Pool were six major steel mills, the first licensed commercial nuclear power plant, an oil refinery, and the third largest zinc and lead processor in America.

Aside from the goiters, boils on my arms and legs and my prehensile tail, life is grand!

Last edited:
I got the body control module I bought to replace my failing one installed in my car successfully. I didn't get it done yesterday, apparently because I was doing it slightly wrong. Today I found better instructions and it worked this time. It hopefully means no more weird activity from my gauges, wipers, or other secondary electronics.
Learning new skills, Montro? Good for you. Hopefully this will fix a lot of your vehicular ills. Is the job still working out?

In 1996 or so, they held a BassMasters tournament in and around Pittsburgh. The Ohio River starts there at The Point. Mile 0. As the river flows west by northwest for the first 37 miles, passing through two sets of locks and dams and at last, here at the junction of three states, the river rolls passed East Liverpool, Ohio. In between The Burgh and The Pool were six major steel mills, the first licensed commercial nuclear power plant, an oil refinery, and the third largest zinc and lead processor in America.

Aside from the goiters, boils on my arms and legs and my prehensile tail, life is grand!
That prehensile tale must come in handy for changing light bulbs in the ceiling fixtures. Of course, I could use a few blasting caps and a couple sticks to TNT, just to get the bigger stumps out, yanno.

I guess I had a better day than you, my friend. Last night, I took a lady friend to Owa, Foley's new amusement park/ entertainment venue. An amazing place, really. It sits on just over 600 acres between my place and down town Foley Maybe a mile and a half as the crow flies, close to 3 miles by road. Now, I'm terrified of heights but absolutely love roller coasters. After Owa, we stopped by Doc Holliday's to listen to live music by The Sideliners and then back to my place for a bit of quiet time. She's never been to my house so.... I got her home just before 3 and made it home by 3:30 and was up at 6:45.
I'm doing remarkably well despite 3 hour's sleep after opening up at 8 AM thenkeeping up with a young lady 26 years my junior all evening and most of the night. I actually just returned home an hour ago after taking her to dinner on the beach in Pensacola
Apparently I can't handle the G forces too well, I can usually do one roller coaster ride and that's it unless I want to be laid up with a pounding headache and severely upset stomach for a couple of hours afterwards. I would have never made it as a fighter pilot.........
I do fine with the loops and g-forces, but spinning sideways in a vertical attitude bothers my stomach.
I figure when you go on a roller coaster, you are essentially paying to get frightened. With my fear of heights going in, I figure I am getting more value than most people.

Like drum solos? This guy is good:

That's the basic kindergarten version of drum solos, at that point in time rock had yet to catch up with jazz drummers like Gene Krupa and buddy Rich in ability and execution.

Maybe but I rate them by whether they draw me into what they are doing and make me want to keep listening.

Here's another great early rock drum solo by one of my favorite all time bands. Some awesome guitar work here too as well as excellent drum work.

Mr. P took really great care of my bruised knee, he cleaned and bandaged it every day and put on my knee brace.
He also went into town to get me some take out dinners for a few nights.
I spoil him and he spoils me. :biggrin:
He went to Walmart, the next morning of my fall and bought a double hinged knee brace.
I couldn't put much weight on my left knee for 4 or 5 days.
The brace was too big for me by an inch so it didn't work very well. One size fits all right, just not for smaller adults. GRRRR...……….
I ordered a smaller one thru amazon and received it the next day.

as my right knee, sidewalk burn healed;
Mr. P renamed the shape from the one horned , one eyed, flying purple, people eater to flattened mouse road kill, complete with the tire marks. :)
It really did look like a flat mouse with it's little tail curled upwards and tire marks running over him.

I am healing up nicely ,but about a week behind cleaning out everything.
I called this morning and added another week for the roll off dumpster. It wasn't too much extra for another week.

Mr. P took really great care of my bruised knee, he cleaned and bandaged it every day and put on my knee brace.
He also went into town to get me some take out dinners for a few nights.
I spoil him and he spoils me. :biggrin:
He went to Walmart, the next morning of my fall and bought a double hinged knee brace.
I couldn't put much weight on my left knee for 4 or 5 days.
The brace was too big for me by an inch so it didn't work very well. One size fits all right, just not for smaller adults. GRRRR...……….
I ordered a smaller one thru amazon and received it the next day.

as my right knee, sidewalk burn healed;
Mr. P renamed the shape from the one horned , one eyed, flying purple, people eater to flattened mouse road kill, complete with the tire marks. :)
It really did look like a flat mouse with it's little tail curled upwards and tire marks running over him.

I am healing up nicely ,but about a week behind cleaning out everything.
I called this morning and added another week for the roll off dumpster. It wasn't too much extra for another week.

Glad you are on the mend dear. We who are getting older don't bounce as well as we used to, but at least we can get better when we are ailing from this or that.

Forum List

Back