USMB Coffee Shop IV

Always happy to see you Save. How is the job going? Are you in the running for Postmaster General yet?

No, I think I'm still fast enough they can't catch me for that job. Our office is dramatically under staffed and it is showing physically and mentally on the younger employees.

Are you on permanent status now?

69120357_2122243084749655_4094689917265772544_n.jpg

They were so good, he ended up thinking they were real most of the time himself! :lol:

LOL, true. And good to see you Montro. Been missing you but I know you've been working crushingly long hours. How is it going?

Other than Tuesday, this has been a slow week. We're supposed to be hitting peak season of the area I'm working in soon, but I guess it's not here yet.

I've got 3 fantasy football drafts this Saturday, and I'm also going to a soccer game. I am trying to figure out how I'm going to get that done, as 2 of the drafts fall inside the time of the game (and travel to/from).

The little one is back in soccer and apparently has a couple of games next weekend. I need to find out from her mom when and where they are, I might drive down to see one or both. It's an hour+ drive, but hopefully I can also hang out with her a bit before and/or after the game. The weekend after, I may drive her to her dad's and stay with them for the weekend.

I'm still keeping an eye out for jobs, just because the one I'm in doesn't pay all that much, but it's mostly going fine. I'm developing a callous on my left palm from constantly holding cards in that hand while I flip through them to check them. :p

My car is doing fine, thankfully, other than the airbag light always being on. I need to set up a dentist appointment soon, I still need to get my gums worked on and I can afford to now. I'll have to find a new place to go, though, since I'm quite a bit away from the old house. I should also go to get my eyes checked, as I have insurance now and it covers an eye exam once a year (I might have a $10 copay or something like that). I'm considering getting contacts again. I haven't worn them for many years, but I always preferred the way I look without glasses. I'm not sure how that will go now that I have virtually no hair, and I'm a lazy procrastinator, so who knows when I'll actually get around to those things. I should probably look into getting a basic physical, too, since I haven't done that in more than 2 decades. :lol:

I don't have any particular plans for the long weekend outside of my FF drafts and the soccer game, I'll probably just play video games, watch tv, and read.

It's what you might call 'chamber of commerce' weather here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area! Today is the day the postcard pictures of town are taken. Amazing many townsfolk, the sky is actually blue. We are perpetually shrouded by clouds. The weatherguessers panel tested the phrase 'partly cloudy'. The idea was how to predict tomorrow's weather and add a bit of optimism by including 'partly'.

Meanwhile, down Florida way, they, for once, won't be bragging about their weather paradise. I lived and worked in Puerto Rico for eighteen months. The one hurricane that made people nervous was Hurricane Andrew. Not that Andrew's path had it anywhere near Puerto Rico. It activated the Seabees stationed at U.S. Naval Station Roosevelt Roads. Those men and women were open for business! Lines of bulldozers made their way to the airfield and were loaded on cargo planes. The logistics were impressive.

My mission was substantially unglamorous even though the setting was magnificent. My job there was to record the flow into the three sewage treatment plants then find and fix the leaks in the sewer lines and manholes.

When women asked me how I maintained a tan in December, I told them I have a project in Puerto Rico and I have to go back right after New Year's Day. That would seal the deal until the gag-inducing details of my Caribbean project. Ces' L'amore!

But I have lived through two hurricanes which is two too many for this Son of the 40th Parallel. My first was Hurricane Elana Labor Day weekend 1985. That's where I made rookie mistakes. I was curious and ventured out in it. Mind that the eye of the storm was about 70 miles to the west over the Gulf of Mexico and heading North, but we were on the east side of the storm which is the more hazardous side.

I watched 4'x10' sheets of drywall swirl around a partially finished high rise the way Autumn leaves swirl around a fence post. A gas station canopy was a block away. In the wake of the storm a mound of sand that piled up on Siesta Key confused me. Siesta Key beaches have the world's whitest sand. Golf course sandtrap white. I stared at it and thought to myself, 'That'll take forever to melt.' What can I say? My life experience with mounds of white are in the corner of a shopping center parking lot in mid January.

Rookie mistakes and I admit them. Don't you judge me!

So, I pray someone learned from my faux pas or just don't repeat them. We all know someone in Florida or we may have family visiting theme parks and beaches there for Labor Day. Lord, keep them safe! Amen.

I lived in Florida for more than 20 years and I don't think I ever bragged about it being a "weather paradise." :p I mostly hated the Florida weather. :D

It's what you might call 'chamber of commerce' weather here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area! Today is the day the postcard pictures of town are taken. Amazing many townsfolk, the sky is actually blue. We are perpetually shrouded by clouds. The weatherguessers panel tested the phrase 'partly cloudy'. The idea was how to predict tomorrow's weather and add a bit of optimism by including 'partly'.

Meanwhile, down Florida way, they, for once, won't be bragging about their weather paradise. I lived and worked in Puerto Rico for eighteen months. The one hurricane that made people nervous was Hurricane Andrew. Not that Andrew's path had it anywhere near Puerto Rico. It activated the Seabees stationed at U.S. Naval Station Roosevelt Roads. Those men and women were open for business! Lines of bulldozers made their way to the airfield and were loaded on cargo planes. The logistics were impressive.

My mission was substantially unglamorous even though the setting was magnificent. My job there was to record the flow into the three sewage treatment plants then find and fix the leaks in the sewer lines and manholes.

When women asked me how I maintained a tan in December, I told them I have a project in Puerto Rico and I have to go back right after New Year's Day. That would seal the deal until the gag-inducing details of my Caribbean project. Ces' L'amore!

But I have lived through two hurricanes which is two too many for this Son of the 40th Parallel. My first was Hurricane Elana Labor Day weekend 1985. That's where I made rookie mistakes. I was curious and ventured out in it. Mind that the eye of the storm was about 70 miles to the west over the Gulf of Mexico and heading North, but we were on the east side of the storm which is the more hazardous side.

I watched 4'x10' sheets of drywall swirl around a partially finished high rise the way Autumn leaves swirl around a fence post. A gas station canopy was a block away. In the wake of the storm a mound of sand that piled up on Siesta Key confused me. Siesta Key beaches have the world's whitest sand. Golf course sandtrap white. I stared at it and thought to myself, 'That'll take forever to melt.' What can I say? My life experience with mounds of white are in the corner of a shopping center parking lot in mid January.

So, I pray someone learned from my faux pas or just don't repeat them. We all know someone in Florida or we may have family visiting theme parks and beaches there for Labor Day. Lord, keep them safe! Amen.

I lived in Florida for more than 20 years and I don't think I ever bragged about it being a "weather paradise." :p I mostly hated the Florida weather. :D
My oldest friend lives in Osprey, just south of Sarasota. We talk two or three times a month. He grew up here.

Along about early November after we had the 'killing frost' that makes lawns dormant for the winter, he asks, "How's the weather?" And as November crystalizes into December and we scrape the first snow from the walk, I get "How's the weather?" but with a tone of voice that would tell a poker table he's holding a full house. A pair of sunshines and three warms.

Come the end of January, everyone's least favorite time of year (but when I celebrate my birthday) "How's the weather?" drips if schadenfreude.

Weather Paradise is never discussed in July and August.

Just saw that there was a bobcat (animal not machine) on the Arroyo del Oso Golf Course last Sunday. The golfers who spotted it said it just sat there and watched them play through.......

Last edited:
Well, Evie brought me a huge dragonfly yesterday. It was all mangled but alive. I googled on how to help it, and I didn't know they bite! Their mandibles are pretty sharp if you get your finger too close, they said. I was handling it all over its body..checking wings, body, removing kitty slobber and burrs and kitty hairs stuck on it. It didn't bite me.
Anyway...they are meat eaters, so I was at a loss of what to feed it IF it would eat. Gave it some water..which it did nuzzle. Then I got the wild hair to give it wet catfood from a can. It ate it. But..it didn't live. Either it was too mangled, or the catfood killed it. Such a shame. It was beautiful.

It was good of you to try to save it, but once a dragonfly is injured, it is unlikely it will survive. We were taught as kids not to try to catch them because they injure easily. They are beautiful and fascinating creatures though. I loved watching them as a kid.
I thought the same with butterflies....but...they CAN be saved if not too damaged.

how to repair a monarch butterfly wing - Google Search

Well, Evie brought me a huge dragonfly yesterday. It was all mangled but alive. I googled on how to help it, and I didn't know they bite! Their mandibles are pretty sharp if you get your finger too close, they said. I was handling it all over its body..checking wings, body, removing kitty slobber and burrs and kitty hairs stuck on it. It didn't bite me.
Anyway...they are meat eaters, so I was at a loss of what to feed it IF it would eat. Gave it some water..which it did nuzzle. Then I got the wild hair to give it wet catfood from a can. It ate it. But..it didn't live. Either it was too mangled, or the catfood killed it. Such a shame. It was beautiful.

You can't touch Dragonflies. I learned that when I was 5. You just can't touch Dragonflies or Butterflies or it messes up their wings. Very fragile.
I know :(. But when they are hurt..I try anyway. Did save a butterfly or two in my lifetime. Very carefully. :)

Whoops, I just accidentally deleted the link to the forum. I tried looking up US forum but could not find it. Then I remembered I had left a link to my paintings thread on another forum, so I was able to find it again.

EDPKcB0XYAAydAj

Phantom Noodle. Lol. Alas..Noodle is over rainbow bridge, but I thought this cute so here tis for y'all. :)

My oldest friend lives in Osprey, just south of Sarasota. We talk two or three times a month. He grew up here.

Along about early November after we had the 'killing frost' that makes lawns dormant for the winter, he asks, "How's the weather?" And as November crystalizes into December and we scrape the first snow from the walk, I get "How's the weather?" but with a tone of voice that would tell a poker table he's holding a full house. A pair of sunshines and three warms.

Come the end of January, everyone's least favorite time of year (but when I celebrate my birthday) "How's the weather?" drips if schadenfreude.

For about 10 months out of the year, if you'd asked me that question while I lived in Florida, I'd have said it was terrible. :p Hot, humid, probably raining at least once or twice for a few minutes during the day. I do not like Florida weather. :)

For about 10 months out of the year, if you'd asked me that question while I lived in Florida, I'd have said it was terrible. :p Hot, humid, probably raining at least once or twice for a few minutes during the day. I do not like Florida weather. :)
I moved to Sarasota in 1984. Five years out of college and seeking adventure and opportunity. I quickly found a job at one of the many engineering firms designing new housing developments and infrastructure expansion.

Things were okay. I liked that my beloved Pittsburgh Pirates held Spring Training at Bradenton. The White Sox were in Sarasota.

But the blistering heat, the oppressive humidity took their toll on a boy raised in the temperate climate of 40 degrees North parallel. When Christmas rolled around they put red and green floodlights on the palm trees. I went Christmas shopping on a motorcycle. Culturally, that ain't right.

I'll take the Currier and Ives vibe of the upper Ohio River valley over Santa in an aqua colored tee shirt and a white linen sports coat with the sleeves rolled up

Goddam ! The lady living upstairs saw me on the doorstep today and asked me if I had seen any big spiders, because she found two in her bedroom. I said I had not seen any, but I just walked into the kitchen and there was a huge spider on the sink. It waggled its jaws at me so I mercilessly washed it down the sink.. It quite turned me over. I hope its not a spider invasion. Now I am looking around nervously in case they want to climb in bed with me.

Always happy to see you Save. How is the job going? Are you in the running for Postmaster General yet?

No, I think I'm still fast enough they can't catch me for that job. Our office is dramatically under staffed and it is showing physically and mentally on the younger employees.

Are you on permanent status now?

Not sure the post office has such a term. PTF stands for part time flexible, yet in my case it is roughly 44 hours a week. In smaller offices that might be more like 25 hours a week.

Goddam ! The lady living upstairs saw me on the doorstep today and asked me if I had seen any big spiders, because she found two in her bedroom. I said I had not seen any, but I just walked into the kitchen and there was a huge spider on the sink. It waggled its jaws at me so I mercilessly washed it down the sink.. It quite turned me over. I hope its not a spider invasion. Now I am looking around nervously in case they want to climb in bed with me.

The outdoor ones are the ones to watch.

tara.jpg

Aw. Your fur friend Ridgerunner? So sorry. I think we all have experienced the very real pain and grief of losing them. It's the price we pay for all that unconditional love, but it still hurts so much.

he passed 18 years ago... He was my Dawg...

But we still miss them no matter how much time passes.

Forum List

Back