USMB Coffee Shop IV

Goddam ! The lady living upstairs saw me on the doorstep today and asked me if I had seen any big spiders, because she found two in her bedroom. I said I had not seen any, but I just walked into the kitchen and there was a huge spider on the sink. It waggled its jaws at me so I mercilessly washed it down the sink.. It quite turned me over. I hope its not a spider invasion. Now I am looking around nervously in case they want to climb in bed with me.

I don't know how it is in your part of the world, but the only spiders to really fear here are quite small. So the big ones look really scary but aren't all that bad. But I don't want to live with them either, so hopefully your one was the only one.

Goddam ! The lady living upstairs saw me on the doorstep today and asked me if I had seen any big spiders, because she found two in her bedroom. I said I had not seen any, but I just walked into the kitchen and there was a huge spider on the sink. It waggled its jaws at me so I mercilessly washed it down the sink.. It quite turned me over. I hope its not a spider invasion. Now I am looking around nervously in case they want to climb in bed with me.

I don't know how it is in your part of the world, but the only spiders to really fear here are quite small. So the big ones look really scary but aren't all that bad. But I don't want to live with them either, so hopefully your one was the only one.
I don't have a problem living with spiders, here in the States........ They keep the bug population down without relying too heavily on insecticides...........

All British spiders used to be harmless, but we have imported foreign spiders in recent years. We now have a false black widow which can be poisonous, I think I had one of those a few months back.But the one on my sink was not one of those. It was just a large hairy ordinary spider. I could have tried to catch it in a jar and throw it out. But the easiest thing was to wash it down the sink, so I did. I will have to face the karma for that.

69307922_2599740226769833_7733454607791161344_n.jpg

I don't have a problem living with spiders, here in the States........ They keep the bug population down without relying too heavily on insecticides...........

I'm fine with spiders in the garden - but not in the house!

Happy Birthday beautress … May you have many, many more...

May you have many more pleasant ones.....just having more might not be the best plan. :p

Happy birthday beautress :WooHooSmileyWave-vi:
".just having more might not be the best plan."​

I'm with something Ernie told us about 10 years ago before he opened his bar. I believe his words were:

"Every day you wake up is a good one."

And I was 10 years younger then. ;)

Leaving some flowerlike cupcakes for ya'll for my birthday today... Hugs to all in our USMB family. A special thanks to Foxfyre for being the most kind hostess with the mostess every time I come here! :huddle:

Cupcake-Bouquet.jpg

Darn it. I really need to rebuild the birthday list. But a happy happy birthday to you my friend. And may you be blessed with many more great birthdays to come:

TO BEAUTRESS

357224-Wishing-You-The-Happiest-Of-Birthdays.gif

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.
And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Montrovant for continued progress in his transition.
JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition and for positive trend to continue.
Seagal and Mr. Seagal.
Peach for healing
Beautress for wellness
Kat for wellness
Mrs. Ringel05 for good results and comfort with new meds.
Gallantwarrior for strength, patience, healing, comfort in his challenge with caring for Rod and Rod's healing.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so that those who have been away can find their way back.

199211-1440996242_Goodbye-August-Hello-September.jpg

Watched a video of Twelve O'clodk High this afternoon. Gregory Peck is still a hunk, even in b & w. It was so much fun to see him in a good movie. I miss those kinds of actors who didn't have drug problems and kept out of the limelight, giving themselves to doing a good job on the movie they were making without all the fuss.
51FSVNHWR1L.jpg

Another smoky day here at the airport, and Anchorage. We've got the fires up in my neck of the woods, and south, too, but Anchorage is blanketed in wood smoke. It's bad enough today that anyone with asthma or respiratory problems is affected. What worries me right now is moose hunting season starts this weekend. Hunters are being warned not to hunt in the areas affected by the fires. That means a lot of townies will be trying their luck further up the mountain...where I live. Of course, too many people poo-poo the burn bans because they're only going to have a small campfire and they can control a small fire. It only takes a small spark to light the world on fire here right now. It's so dry and maybe as much as 2/3 of the spruce in our area are beetle-killed, making them 70' matches. One spark and they flame-on, and spruce burns hot. Additionally, the tundra and muskeg has dried out. That means the fire can go underground and pop up some other place. I just hope a lot of people decide not to hunt this year.
Wow... doesn't sound good around Anchorage. Is the entire state in that condition?

Year before last when I went out to Montana to visit family, the smoke was so bad you could barely see the mountains. I woke up one day and there was ASHES on my truck. I had to leave early and go back home. Didn't really get out of the smoke until Minnesota. Good ole Wisconsin was clear as a bell. I was very thankful for that. Forest fire smoke is very rare in Wisconsin. It's become a yearly ordeal in Montana.
It's been pretty smoky all summer. The Swan Lake fire on the Kenai Peninsula has been burning for over two months now. Because it's burning into wilderness they let it burn. Only when it threatens human habitation do they fight the fire. There are so many fires statewide that it is pretty miserable. While we are having the hottest, driest summer most people can recall around these parts, there are floods up north. I've noticed that the birch trees are already dropping leaves, not because it's fall but because they are so dry.

Albuquerque has been smoky all day and especially after the sun went down and the air began to settle--they say it is coming from fires in western New Mexico and Arizona. At one point our swamp cooler had pulled so much smoke into the house I went out to see if we were on fire, but we aren't as nearly as I can tell.

But we should all do our rain dances for New Mexico and Alaska. Hombre and I went to Alaska in August and it rained the entire time we were there, in Anchorage and all the ports of call when we cruised out. You would probably welcome some of that now.

There was once a severe drought in Iowa though and on a lark, they invited our Zuni rain dancers to come visit. Six inches of rain and still falling later, they suggested maybe the dancers should go home. :)
I talked with my nephew in Montana the just the other day and he said Montana had finally had a rainy Summer, and there wasn't smoke in the air for the first time in ages.
I lived out there on two different occasions, and I never saw smoke.

Albuquerque sits in a kind of large basin so that you drive up to get out of town no matter which direction you go. So if conditions are right, the smoke from western fires--even as far west as California, Oregon, Washington, can drift over the state and, if atmospheric conditions are right, will settle down onto the city until there is enough wind to push it out of here. And other times the winds don't bring it over us. Right now it's gorgeous out. No smoke.
So you guys must get those "inversions" all the time, where it will be colder in the valley than the air is above you.

Reno would get those too and I hated it.

Forum List

Back