USMB Coffee Shop IV

I use my laptop in the living room when watching TV and for travel of course, but I really REALLY prefer my much more versatile desktop PC and 26" monitor for most computer tasks and for surfing and playing games. The laptop is a lot less satisfying and pleasant for me.
The only one the wife uses is her laptop, the only time she comes in my cave is when she needs something from me.

Has anyone here used a virtual reality headset ? I am wondering if they have adjustable focus, or if you can wear reading glasses underneath them. I need glasses just to se my pc monitor, and I am not sure I will be able to focus on screens in a virtual reality headset.
Nope, those bad boys are way too expensive for my tastes.

Saturday morning!

After dealing with all the TP hoarding and other foolishness, a good chuckle is never more needed.

Let the cartoon begin!

Bugs Bunny cartoons were my favorite when I was a kid. And for whatever reason, I didn't like Porky Pig.

Well I just found out Amazon has no toilet paper and doesn't expect to be restocked at least until mid April. The stores around here are cleaned out.

After a year or two we'll all be talking about how we survived the great toilet paper panic of 2020:

ETFmSdTUUAQQcnT

ETFrW0XUUAAA4JU

Has anyone here used a virtual reality headset ? I am wondering if they have adjustable focus, or if you can wear reading glasses underneath them. I need glasses just to se my pc monitor, and I am not sure I will be able to focus on screens in a virtual reality headset.

I just watched some clips of half life 3 and that is probably as much of it as I am going to see. I am not ready to stump up £2000 when I don't even know if I will be able to see anything in a virtual reality headset. I am also unsure how you move around in the game. Because if you have to move around yourself and turn your head to see around in the game, I don't think I would bother. I guess the only way to find out is wait for a computer fair that demonstrates virtual reality stuff. Then I can try it out before buying.

I just watched some clips of half life 3 and that is probably as much of it as I am going to see. I am not ready to stump up £2000 when I don't even know if I will be able to see anything in a virtual reality headset. I am also unsure how you move around in the game. Because if you have to move around yourself and turn your head to see around in the game, I don't think I would bother. I guess the only way to find out is wait for a computer fair that demonstrates virtual reality stuff. Then I can try it out before buying.
Sounds like some physical educator's fighting-back answer to sedentary living in front of the computer. ;)

Well I am back from a trip to the grocery store. I expected some things but not what I found there. Or, more accurately, what I didn't find there.

--No paper goods (toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, tissues) to be had. Shelves were bare.
--No anti-bacterial agents or any form of disinfectants. (They did have some regular soap which is an excellent disinfectant though.)
--No canned soups, chili, meat, or other ready to eat canned edibles except for a few cans of tuna hidden behind the last remaining cans of green beans. (I got those.) There were a half dozen cans of canned salmon at $8+ a can. Otherwise shelves were bare.
--All beans, rice, pasta, ramen noodles and such gone. Shelves were bare.
--Most frozen foods like lasagna, pizza, and other heat & eat items gone. The cases were pretty empty.
--The fresh beef, pork, chicken, fish section completely cleaned out except for a very few undesirable or extremely expensive cuts. No hamburger, steaks, or chops to be had. I did find a small processed ham and got that. but it was expensive.
--All luncheon meats, most brick cheese, and all bacon and sausage gone including the most expensive and the yucky precooked stuff. Not even a package of hot dog wieners remained. The whole section mostly bare. I was able to get some bagels and cream cheese.
--No flour of any kind or any brand! There was one 20 lb. sack of flour in a cloth bag and because I was out, I got that. Guess I'll be making a lot of biscuits and bread. :)
--No cornmeal to be had.
--No milk except for a few gallon jugs all almost at their expiration dates.
--No butter. No eggs. Shelves were bare.

Our freezer is fairly well stocked with meat so we're okay for awhile. I have plenty of flour, sugar, salt, pepper, and there were plenty of fresh veggies in the store. We won't starve.

I just hope and pray that this isn't our new normal for the foreseeable future. It brings out the pioneer in us maybe as we have to adapt and improvise. But it's also a little scary.

Well I am back from a trip to the grocery store. I expected some things but not what I found there. Or, more accurately, what I didn't find there.

--No paper goods (toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, tissues) to be had. Shelves were bare.
--No anti-bacterial agents or any form of disinfectants. (They did have some regular soap which is an excellent disinfectant though.)
--No canned soups, chili, meat, or other ready to eat canned edibles except for a few cans of tuna hidden behind the last remaining cans of green beans. (I got those.) There were a half dozen cans of canned salmon at $8+ a can. Otherwise shelves were bare.
--Most frozen foods like lasagna, pizza, and other heat & eat items gone. The cases were pretty empty.
--The fresh beef, pork, chicken, fish section completely cleaned out except for a very few undesirable or extremely expensive cuts. No hamburger, steaks, or chops to be had. I did find a small processed ham and got that. but it was expensive.
--All luncheon meats, most brick cheese, and all bacon and sausage gone including the most expensive and the yucky precooked stuff. Not even a package of hot dog wieners remained. The whole section mostly bare. I was able to get some bagels and cream cheese.
--No flour of any kind or any brand! There was one 20 lb. sack of flour in a cloth bag and because I was out, I got that. Guess I'll be making a lot of biscuits and bread. :)
--No cornmeal to be had.

Our freezer is fairly well stocked with meat so we're okay for awhile. I have plenty of flour, sugar, salt, pepper, and there were plenty of fresh veggies in the store. We won't starve.

I just hope and pray that this isn't our new normal for the foreseeable future. It brings out the pioneer in us maybe as we have to adapt and improvise. But it's also a little scary.

I and a few more here remember rationing during WWII. We'll have no trouble surviving. I started 1st grade in Sept '45 and we still had rationing until the end of '45.

A wide variety of commodities were rationed during World War II in the United States.
Rationing ended when supplies were sufficient to meet demand.

Rationed Items Rationing Duration
Tires January 1942 to December 1945
Cars February 1942 to October 1945
Bicycles July 1942 to September 1945
Gasoline May 1942 to August 1945
Fuel Oil & Kerosene October 1942 to August 1945
Solid Fuels September 1943 to August 1945
Stoves December 1942 to August 1945
Rubber Footwear October 1942 to September 1945
Shoes February 1943 to October 1945
Sugar May 1942 to 1947
Coffee November 1942 to July 1943
Processed Foods March 1943 to August 1945
Meats, canned fish March 1943 to November 1945
Cheese, canned milk, fats March 1943 to November 1945
Typewriters March 1942 to April 1944

--No cornmeal to be had.

I and a few more here remember rationing during WWII. We'll have no trouble surviving. I started 1st grade in Sept '45 and we still had rationing until the end of '45.

A wide variety of commodities were rationed during World War II in the United States.

Sugar May 1942 to 1947

One of my earliest memories as a very wee tyke was my mother mixing a new invention called margarine to substitute for the butter that was unavailable to buy near the end of the war. They weren't allowed to sell yellow colored margarine so you got this hard white brick of whatever they made it out of, and she would soften it and mix in a packet of yellow coloring to make it look more like butter. Fascinating to watch.

--No cornmeal to be had.

Sugar May 1942 to 1947

One of my earliest memories as a very wee tyke was my mother mixing a new invention called margarine to substitute for the butter that was unavailable to buy near the end of the war. They weren't allowed to sell yellow colored margarine so you got this hard white brick of whatever they made it out of, and she would soften it and mix in a packet of yellow coloring to make it look more like butter. Fascinating to watch.

I remember the white margarine with the coloring. Also coffee was rationed but we could buy chicory as a substitute. Fish and liver weren't rationed and we had our own chickens and hogs.

upload_2020-3-14_20-55-19.png

--No cornmeal to be had.

Sugar May 1942 to 1947
Great reminder to us of past times in which we had to get by.

And don't forget the zinc-coated steel pennies of 1943 because copper was needed for the war effort.

upload_2020-3-14_21-19-58.jpeg

Praying for all those around the world who've had to deal with the loss of loved ones and health issues caused by CV. I'm thankful to see a glimmer of unity between Ds and Rs at last, even if it is in its infancy stage. So, have a blessed good evening, and a good night's sleep. :eusa_pray::sleep:

Hugs for those of you beautiful coffee shop friends who need one. :huddle:

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys. No change in the vigil list.

But I'll leave you with a tip for the day to sleep on:

89121132_3069286249802641_3475427316186742784_n.jpg

Forum List

Back