USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good-Night-Wishing-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

You'll have to go into your boot sequencer at start up and select boot from CD/DVD or however they have it listed. Microsoft generally sets their start up to boot from the hard drive. Who made the laptop? That will tell us how to get to the boot sequencer.

With Windows 8 or 8.1, when you insert the CD be sure the desk top is fully visible. A little pop down screen will come down from the upper right corner--your right as you face the monitor screen. It will ask what you want to do with the CD. You click on the window and it gives you a number of options. If you don't respond to the pop down screen quickly, however, it goes away and you have to reinsert the CD to get it to reappear.

Generally the problem with bootable discs, particularly other operating systems on the disc, Windows will not let it run from the pop up so the boot sequence needs to be changed so it will run from start up.
Windows will tell you it's unrecognizable files.

I frequently get unrecognized publisher when installing old software. And some of it is Microsoft software even. :) But if you tell the computer to run the software, it will UNLESS it is totally incompatible. My computer running 8.1 still objects to my Rise of Nations game that was developed and marketed as a Microsoft product but for ME, XP, Vista. But it will run it. I had a hell of a time getting Win 7 to run it and it still won't do a full screen version, but it is running it.

Oy. What a dilemma. Mr. Gracie found something at a yard sale today and I listed it on ebay for 50 bucks. I got 3 pms from buyers asking if we would sell it with a Buy It now. We said no to all three. Then a bid was placed, so we were pretty happy. Then...another one pm'd and asked if we would sell it for 450 bucks and end the listing. I said we should cuz that is a lot of money! But then Mr. Gracie said no..cuz someone already bid and it wouldn't be right to remove that bid just to sell it out from underneath that person. When I thought about it..I agreed. So we said no again. But dayum. DAYUM.

Oy. What a dilemma. Mr. Gracie found something at a yard sale today and I listed it on ebay for 50 bucks. I got 3 pms from buyers asking if we would sell it with a Buy It now. We said no to all three. Then a bid was placed, so we were pretty happy. Then...another one pm'd and asked if we would sell it for 450 bucks and end the listing. I said we should cuz that is a lot of money! But then Mr. Gracie said no..cuz someone already bid and it wouldn't be right to remove that bid just to sell it out from underneath that person. When I thought about it..I agreed. So we said no again. But dayum. DAYUM.

I don't think you have a dilemma. If there was someone that interested at 450 it means the general interest goes at least that deep. You'll get there, whether it's that guy or another bidder.

On eBay it's all about the last five minutes. Really the last one minute. Last week I had a record sitting at $7.50 (one bid, my minimum opening) for 6 days 23 hours 59 minutes and 45 seconds. It sold for $22.50.

Last edited:
Last time this happened...it was an old styrofoam wall clock we bought for 15 bucks. It was FUGLY and I thought it would not sell at all. When it got to 300 bucks...I got suspicious and went hunting on google for it..and found one similiar at an antique shop for 1600 bucks. The last minute of the auction, it was a bidding war and finally sold for 700 bucks.
So...I am hoping this item does the same..sells for at least 500..or more.

Last time this happened...it was an old styrofoam wall clock we bought for 15 bucks. It was FUGLY and I thought it would not sell at all. When it got to 300 bucks...I got suspicious and went hunting on google for it..and found one similiar at an antique shop for 1600 bucks. The last minute of the auction, it was a bidding war and finally sold for 700 bucks.
So...I am hoping this item does the same..sells for at least 500..or more.

It's always like that ("sniping") with anything of value on eBay. I do it too when I'm buying. I don't make a move until there's about 10 seconds left.

Headed in early today. We're starting Texas Hold'em at 2PM and there's not a lot of time to set stuff up.
Got a new laptop yesterday. Hate windows 8.1 but I can't get it to boot from a CD so I can install Linux. ARRRGH

You'll have to go into your boot sequencer at start up and select boot from CD/DVD or however they have it listed. Microsoft generally sets their start up to boot from the hard drive. Who made the laptop? That will tell us how to get to the boot sequencer.

With Windows 8 or 8.1, when you insert the CD be sure the desk top is fully visible. A little pop down screen will come down from the upper right corner--your right as you face the monitor screen. It will ask what you want to do with the CD. You click on the window and it gives you a number of options. If you don't respond to the pop down screen quickly, however, it goes away and you have to reinsert the CD to get it to reappear.

The trick was to get it to boot from CD. I had to enable legacy support in BIOS and throw a couple other switches. I'm now booted to Kubuntu but running off the DVD drive. Next step, once I get a feel for the touch screen, is to install and hope GRUB will work.

The laptop is an HP Envy "Touchsmart" I5 processor 8 gigs ram and a terabyte HDD and 17" screen. I gotta get back to the bar, just ran home to try another BIOS switch and pick up the wife's meds. I should be home around midnight or 1AM (central).

I usually don't buy. And when I do..I want a BIN cuz I already know what I want and how much I am willing to pay for it. Been selling since '98 and at one time was a "power seller". Big whoop, that.
Now it is just little things here and there.

I usually don't buy. And when I do..I want a BIN cuz I already know what I want and how much I am willing to pay for it. Been selling since '98 and at one time was a "power seller". Big whoop, that.
Now it is just little things here and there.

BIN -- BOR-ing
snore.gif
You miss the adrenaline rush that way. :eusa_angel:

Yeah I'll use BIN for little inconsequential things that have no chance of jumping outside an expected range -- printer cartridges was the last one. But the last-second sniping, that thar's adventure. I even watch my selling items in the last seconds to participate vicariously.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana and friend Tracy,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Stat's aunt,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, and Becki.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Well my sis and brother in law are here but just in time for a full blown crisis in Toledo.

We got up yesterday, had water, coffee and then started receiving calls not to drink, touch or boil, water. This isn't just a water warning, things are blowing up all over, people are desperately seeking water right now and our city is in a state of emergency. I've never seen anything like this here.

Water crisis: still waiting for answers

Governor John Kasich has issued a state of emergency for Lucas County and surrounding communities due to algae toxins detected in the water during routine testing.

Toledo Mayor D. Michael Collins says we won't know the results of the water testing until sometime Sunday. He says a water sample was flown to Cincinnati for further testing.

He also said National Guard trucks full of water and being distributed at Waite High School, Central Catholic High School, Springfield High School and Woodward High School until 11:00 PM Saturday. You can also get your containers filled with water at UT's Scott Park Campus. Collins said pre-mixed formula and MRE rations were also enroute. The mayor said stores in suburban locations are restocking shelves with water.

He urged Toledoans to stay patient and ask that they not line up for water ahead of time. Water will be distributed at the following locations and times:

http://www.13abc.com/story/26178497...ty-toledoans-asked-not-to-drink-or-boil-water

What should you do?

Do not drink the water. Alternative water should be used for drinking, making infant formula, making ice, brushing teeth and preparing food. Pets should not drink the water.

Do not boil the water.. Boiling the water will not destroy the toxins. It will increase the concentration of the toxins.

Consuming water containing algal toxins may result in abnormal liver function, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, numbness or dizziness. Seek medical attention if you feel you have been exposed to algal toxins and are having adverse health effects. Skin contact with contaminated water can cause irritation or rashes. Contact a veterinarian immediately if pets or livestock show signs of illness.

Forum List

Back