USMB Coffee Shop IV

Algae bloom visible from space

Toledo, OH - The large algae bloom is visible from space. The image below, courtesy of NOAA, shows the view point above the earth. The entire western end of Lake Erie is showing a blue-green color compared to the deep blue color that is typical. A strong southwest wind will help break up the bloom, but the wind is expected to stay calm to light through Monday. A weather maker will push into the region on Tuesday which could produce a light southwest wind at 5 to 10 mph.

http://www.13abc.com/story/26182320/algae-bloom-visible-from-space

Restaurants, businesses that serve the public are closed. They are saying we can shower and wash hands but I wouldn't trust any of them doing that.

Hospitals have filtration systems, I always use filtered water (Britta) but I don't trust it. I made the coffee we drank yesterday with it, we used it for drinking water the day before and were afraid we took in toxins but none of us are sick or rashy. Hospitals are saying not a lot of ER patients showing up right now so that's good.

We randomly found a truck full of water yesterday just pulling up to Rite Aid so we're good for now. Hoping they find some solution sooner rather than later.

And how is YOUR day, :lol:

Well my sis and brother in law are here but just in time for a full blown crisis in Toledo.

We got up yesterday, had water, coffee and then started receiving calls not to drink, touch or boil, water. This isn't just a water warning, things are blowing up all over, people are desperately seeking water right now and our city is in a state of emergency. I've never seen anything like this here.

Water crisis: still waiting for answers

Governor John Kasich has issued a state of emergency for Lucas County and surrounding communities due to algae toxins detected in the water during routine testing.

Toledo Mayor D. Michael Collins says we won't know the results of the water testing until sometime Sunday. He says a water sample was flown to Cincinnati for further testing.

He also said National Guard trucks full of water and being distributed at Waite High School, Central Catholic High School, Springfield High School and Woodward High School until 11:00 PM Saturday. You can also get your containers filled with water at UT's Scott Park Campus. Collins said pre-mixed formula and MRE rations were also enroute. The mayor said stores in suburban locations are restocking shelves with water.

He urged Toledoans to stay patient and ask that they not line up for water ahead of time. Water will be distributed at the following locations and times:

http://www.13abc.com/story/26178497...ty-toledoans-asked-not-to-drink-or-boil-water

What should you do?

Do not drink the water. Alternative water should be used for drinking, making infant formula, making ice, brushing teeth and preparing food. Pets should not drink the water.

Do not boil the water.. Boiling the water will not destroy the toxins. It will increase the concentration of the toxins.

Consuming water containing algal toxins may result in abnormal liver function, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, numbness or dizziness. Seek medical attention if you feel you have been exposed to algal toxins and are having adverse health effects. Skin contact with contaminated water can cause irritation or rashes. Contact a veterinarian immediately if pets or livestock show signs of illness.
I sympathize with you Sarah, that is not a good situation. Hope the algae bloom clears up very soon. You can't prepare food, wash vegetables, and stuff without tap water. For drinking and making coffee, you can always use bottled water, or if there is a shortage, there is always soda or other beverages to help stay hydrated. They really need to take care of this today before the start of tomorrow's workweek. It will have a huge impact on business, and would not be good for the local economy there.

Restaurants, businesses that serve the public are closed. They are saying we can shower and wash hands but I wouldn't trust any of them doing that.

Hospitals have filtration systems, I always use filtered water (Britta) but I don't trust it. I made the coffee we drank yesterday with it, we used it for drinking water the day before and were afraid we took in toxins but none of us are sick or rashy. Hospitals are saying not a lot of ER patients showing up right now so that's good.

We randomly found a truck full of water yesterday just pulling up to Rite Aid so we're good for now. Hoping they find some solution sooner rather than later.

I would not chance washing with it. If they issued a warning that skin contact can cause irritation or rashes, it's not worth the risk. City officials need to get this fixed ASAP.

Morning folks! Today is National Watermelon Day. Watermelon is a healthy way to stay hydrated in the summer months. It's also one of the better tasting fruits...:thup:

1406064958national-watermelon-day-august-3.jpg

HAPPY+NATIONAL+WATERMELON+DAY.jpg

Have a great Sunday! :)

Last edited:
Well my sis and brother in law are here but just in time for a full blown crisis in Toledo.

We got up yesterday, had water, coffee and then started receiving calls not to drink, touch or boil, water. This isn't just a water warning, things are blowing up all over, people are desperately seeking water right now and our city is in a state of emergency. I've never seen anything like this here.

Water crisis: still waiting for answers

Governor John Kasich has issued a state of emergency for Lucas County and surrounding communities due to algae toxins detected in the water during routine testing.

Toledo Mayor D. Michael Collins says we won't know the results of the water testing until sometime Sunday. He says a water sample was flown to Cincinnati for further testing.

He also said National Guard trucks full of water and being distributed at Waite High School, Central Catholic High School, Springfield High School and Woodward High School until 11:00 PM Saturday. You can also get your containers filled with water at UT's Scott Park Campus. Collins said pre-mixed formula and MRE rations were also enroute. The mayor said stores in suburban locations are restocking shelves with water.

He urged Toledoans to stay patient and ask that they not line up for water ahead of time. Water will be distributed at the following locations and times:

http://www.13abc.com/story/26178497...ty-toledoans-asked-not-to-drink-or-boil-water

What should you do?

Do not drink the water. Alternative water should be used for drinking, making infant formula, making ice, brushing teeth and preparing food. Pets should not drink the water.

Do not boil the water.. Boiling the water will not destroy the toxins. It will increase the concentration of the toxins.

Consuming water containing algal toxins may result in abnormal liver function, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, numbness or dizziness. Seek medical attention if you feel you have been exposed to algal toxins and are having adverse health effects. Skin contact with contaminated water can cause irritation or rashes. Contact a veterinarian immediately if pets or livestock show signs of illness.
I sympathize with you Sarah, that is not a good situation. Hope the algae bloom clears up very soon. You can't prepare food, wash vegetables, and stuff without tap water. For drinking and making coffee, you can always use bottled water, or if there is a shortage, there is always soda or other beverages to help stay hydrated. They really need to take care of this today before the start of tomorrow's workweek. It will have a huge impact on business, and would not be good for the local economy there.

I certainly feel for the folks in Toledo and in WV last year.

After years in Asia, I have learned to be very careful with water that I drink.

Hopefully, this problem will clear up quickly.

With Windows 8 or 8.1, when you insert the CD be sure the desk top is fully visible. A little pop down screen will come down from the upper right corner--your right as you face the monitor screen. It will ask what you want to do with the CD. You click on the window and it gives you a number of options. If you don't respond to the pop down screen quickly, however, it goes away and you have to reinsert the CD to get it to reappear.

Generally the problem with bootable discs, particularly other operating systems on the disc, Windows will not let it run from the pop up so the boot sequence needs to be changed so it will run from start up.
Windows will tell you it's unrecognizable files.

I frequently get unrecognized publisher when installing old software. And some of it is Microsoft software even. :) But if you tell the computer to run the software, it will UNLESS it is totally incompatible. My computer running 8.1 still objects to my Rise of Nations game that was developed and marketed as a Microsoft product but for ME, XP, Vista. But it will run it. I had a hell of a time getting Win 7 to run it and it still won't do a full screen version, but it is running it.
For many of the older games ya have to run them as "administrator" to get them to work right.
Also:

Windows 8 includes a Program Compatibility Troubleshooter along with compatibility options you can tweak. Just right-click the shortcut for the program you’re having problems with, select Properties, and click the Compatibility tab. From here, you can run the compatibility troubleshooter to have Windows walk you though choosing settings that my fix your problem. Alternatively, you can try to trick the program into thinking it’s running on a previous version of Windows, such as Windows XP or Windows 98. This may solve problems with programs that worked on previous programs but no longer work. The Compatibility tab also allows you to always start programs in administrator mode — useful if they must be run as administrator.

How To Run Old Games & Software In Windows 8

We get two Toledo channels over here in Hillsdale. Been checking in on your situation frequently. From what I'm reading about blue-green algae blooms, they vary in levels, but can take several months to end. There is an acceptable level that you can use, so hopefully it gets there soon. I was gone last night and didn't hear how the new water test samples turned out.

Just wondering, was it Toledo I just heard about last week that was cutting off so many peoples water for non payment?

Not sure but they do cut off utilities for non payment and they don't care whether people live or die because of it. Extreme heat or cold, they don't care about anything but the money.

We get two Toledo channels over here in Hillsdale. Been checking in on your situation frequently. From what I'm reading about blue-green algae blooms, they vary in levels, but can take several months to end. There is an acceptable level that you can use, so hopefully it gets there soon. I was gone last night and didn't hear how the new water test samples turned out.

They've tested several samples and hope that it's acceptable one more time.

Forum List

Back