USMB Coffee Shop IV

For a lazy August Sunday...

7FDD90925879421A8569F32FEEE36FB5-800.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd3rA89VhtA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd3rA89VhtA[/ame]

And for today's history lesson . . .

On August 3, 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. . .seeking a more direct trade route to lucrative markets in the east. Even though Spain was at war with west Africans who were disrupting the normal trade routes at the time, Columbus met with a lot of resistance from King Ferdinand and Queen Isabel who were not interested in funding the expedition.

After years of petitions and being rejected, Columbus finally gave up on the Spanish monarchy and set out to appeal to the King of France to fund the project. But of course that would also mean France would get the glory and any loot to be had.

Realizing this, King Ferdinand did a last minute about face and sent messengers after Columbus to bring him back to court. He didn't think Columbus would come back alive but he didn't want to lose out on any benefits if it did. Probably believing the odds were in their favor, on April 17, 1492, Ferdinand and Isabel signed a formal agreement with Columbus granting him three good sailing ships plus 10% of the profits, noble status, and hereditary governorship of the new territories for him and his descendants if he succeeded.

Three months later, on August 3, 1492, Columbus, commanding the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria, sailed from Palos into the unknown. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Pinta_Nina_Santa_Maria.jpg

Watermelon? Yep. I like it BUT it has to be very cold and the salt shaker needs to be handy. I don't like warm room temp. watermelon. Yuck.

Woke up late and missed Mass where I normally go. However, I did go to a nearby town where our priest is doing double duty. Attended Mass there this morning. Had to go alone cause Mrs. BBD is working today at John Deere. I was going to take Taco but he was too slow getting his church clothes on.

It's a beautiful day here in northwestern Illinois. The house is nice and quiet. I may just take a nap.

They sent samples of the water to different testing sites for example, 65 samples went to Michigan. They came back with undetectable levels of toxins. Columbus also came back undectable. They want one more site to officially say their findings are undectable and we can lift the ban.

Not sure if we have to run the water for awhile to flush it out of the pipes and water heater but we'll see. Some good news on the horizon but I hope this won't be forgotten.

Restaurants, businesses that serve the public are closed. They are saying we can shower and wash hands but I wouldn't trust any of them doing that.

Hospitals have filtration systems, I always use filtered water (Britta) but I don't trust it. I made the coffee we drank yesterday with it, we used it for drinking water the day before and were afraid we took in toxins but none of us are sick or rashy. Hospitals are saying not a lot of ER patients showing up right now so that's good.

We randomly found a truck full of water yesterday just pulling up to Rite Aid so we're good for now. Hoping they find some solution sooner rather than later.

And how is YOUR day, :lol:

400,000 Ohioans are without water! :eek:

They might have to declare a state of emergency and stop people from going in to work on Monday because this is serious.

Stay safe, Sarah, you and your family are in my thoughts.

Ohioans don't drink water........ MD20-20 but not water........ :eusa_whistle:

:D

Shoot. I just realized school starts on Tuesday. Fantastic.:(

On a side note, who thinks Marching Band is a sport? What about Professional Video Gaming? I personally say the first is, but the second isn't.

Restaurants, businesses that serve the public are closed. They are saying we can shower and wash hands but I wouldn't trust any of them doing that.

Hospitals have filtration systems, I always use filtered water (Britta) but I don't trust it. I made the coffee we drank yesterday with it, we used it for drinking water the day before and were afraid we took in toxins but none of us are sick or rashy. Hospitals are saying not a lot of ER patients showing up right now so that's good.

We randomly found a truck full of water yesterday just pulling up to Rite Aid so we're good for now. Hoping they find some solution sooner rather than later.

And how is YOUR day, :lol:

They might have to declare a state of emergency and stop people from going in to work on Monday because this is serious.

Back in the day, when i wanted trouble, that was my drink of choice.....Mad Dog caused many an injury. I still feel some of them...

On a side note, who thinks Marching Band is a sport? What about Professional Video Gaming? I personally say the first is, but the second isn't.

My son is in marching band, and they have to run the mile before every practice, as well as other exercises to prepare them for their drills...those kids get a real physical work out, not to mention the mental work out of learning and playing the music.

Back in the day, when i wanted trouble, that was my drink of choice.....Mad Dog caused many an injury. I still feel some of them...

Tried it once....... Saw guys that were usually laid back turn into fighting monsters. :lol:

Do they still make MD 20/20? Used to drink it way back in high school. Also Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.

Saw on TV a couple weeks ago some college is going to make video gaming a sport and award scholarships. Might as well add Pocket Pool to the list of sports.

Saw on TV a couple weeks ago some college is going to make video gaming a sport and award scholarships. Might as well add Pocket Pool to the list of sports.

hD7C79D16

Forum List

Back