USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well my sis and brother in law are here but just in time for a full blown crisis in Toledo.

We got up yesterday, had water, coffee and then started receiving calls not to drink, touch or boil, water. This isn't just a water warning, things are blowing up all over, people are desperately seeking water right now and our city is in a state of emergency. I've never seen anything like this here.

Water crisis: still waiting for answers

Governor John Kasich has issued a state of emergency for Lucas County and surrounding communities due to algae toxins detected in the water during routine testing.

Toledo Mayor D. Michael Collins says we won't know the results of the water testing until sometime Sunday. He says a water sample was flown to Cincinnati for further testing.

He also said National Guard trucks full of water and being distributed at Waite High School, Central Catholic High School, Springfield High School and Woodward High School until 11:00 PM Saturday. You can also get your containers filled with water at UT's Scott Park Campus. Collins said pre-mixed formula and MRE rations were also enroute. The mayor said stores in suburban locations are restocking shelves with water.

He urged Toledoans to stay patient and ask that they not line up for water ahead of time. Water will be distributed at the following locations and times:

http://www.13abc.com/story/26178497...ty-toledoans-asked-not-to-drink-or-boil-water

What should you do?

Do not drink the water. Alternative water should be used for drinking, making infant formula, making ice, brushing teeth and preparing food. Pets should not drink the water.

Do not boil the water.. Boiling the water will not destroy the toxins. It will increase the concentration of the toxins.

Consuming water containing algal toxins may result in abnormal liver function, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, numbness or dizziness. Seek medical attention if you feel you have been exposed to algal toxins and are having adverse health effects. Skin contact with contaminated water can cause irritation or rashes. Contact a veterinarian immediately if pets or livestock show signs of illness.

I've been watching this story develop, Sarah. Although I operate off a well, I still keep quite a bit of water stored for emergencies. Around here, a good trembler can rupture wells and contaminate that water source.
Good luck, hope this passes soon, but it certainly does shake your faith in simple things you take for granted, doesn't it?

Good Morning, Everyone!
Whew! Lots going on, way too fast!
Things seem to have calmed down a bit here. Well, except maybe Sarah's water situation.
Had a lovely chat with my daughter yesterday. I've mentioned Sachenda, her "mentor" when she was growing up. Well, I may not have mentioned that Sachenda and her family are Cambodian. Anywhoo...daughter and granddaughters were invited to a big family reunion. They had a blast! My daughter was surprised when the older ladies identified my younger (blue eyes, blond hair) granddaughter as part Asian. Her grandmother was Korean. They said it was something to do with her eyes. Needless-to-say, they made a pet of her. The other girl captivated Sachenda's husband, who is a HUGE computer geek. Good thing my girls are not shy about trying different food, either.
I'll be up at my other place this weekend, gotta get that shed built before the snow flies, and that won't be too long from now. I need to pack up my stuff from both places in town and move it to storage.

Morning folks! Today is National Watermelon Day. Watermelon is a healthy way to stay hydrated in the summer months. It's also one of the better tasting fruits...:thup:

1406064958national-watermelon-day-august-3.jpg

HAPPY+NATIONAL+WATERMELON+DAY.jpg

Have a great Sunday! :)
Almost as good as Pommes Frites! :D
Fried apples? They are good, but Patates Frites are even better ... french fries ... :D

Mornin' all.

boedicca-albums-mo-mo-mo-boedicca-s-stuff-picture6135-coffeebath-1.gif

I can't stand watermelon, so am substituting Cantaloupe for today.

Sadly, it is a very cool foggy day...which makes the prospect of going to the Art + Soul Festival a tad less appealing.

Mornin' all.

Sadly, it is a very cool foggy day...which makes the prospect of going to the Art + Soul Festival a tad less appealing.

I'm looking forward to the day where all channels are streamed and we can just pick the ones we want.

Mornin' all.

You don't like watermelon? Really? I believe you are the first person I have ever met who didn't like watermelon. But oh well. It is such little idiosyncrasies that makes us interesting people. Hombre is always amazed that I remember people's food allergies and preferences decades later--this one won't eat real butter--that one won't eat blackberries or anything blackberry flavored--this one has a nut allergy--grapes make that one's blood sugar spike, etc.

But me? I love watermelon and, though they are stupid expensive anymore, we usually have some in the fridge when they are in season. Good stuff and good for you.

Cool and foggy in California sounds like a good thing with all the drought and wild fires out there though. I am hoping that is remedied for California soon as New Mexico is enjoying one of the best monsoon seasons we have had in a very long time.

Mornin' all.

You don't like watermelon? Really? I believe you are the first person I have ever met who didn't like watermelon. But oh well. It is such little idiosyncrasies that makes us interesting people. Hombre is always amazed that I remember people's food allergies and preferences decades later--this one won't eat real butter--that one won't eat blackberries or anything blackberry flavored--this one has a nut allergy--grapes make that one's blood sugar spike, etc.

But me? I love watermelon and, though they are stupid expensive anymore, we usually have some in the fridge when they are in season. Good stuff and good for you.

Cool and foggy in California sounds like a good thing with all the drought and wild fires out there though. I am hoping that is remedied for California soon as New Mexico is enjoying one of the best monsoon seasons we have had in a very long time.

I just have never liked watermelon, even as a kid. The only watermelony thing I like is watermelon flavored water. Go figure.

We certainly need some rain here in CA.......and more dams and reservoirs to store water during wet years.

And good morning all. Another cool day (high 70's) in Albuquerque today but hoping the rains will return. Yesterday was a dry day and that was a good thing because we had severe flash flooding in the downtown area and south night before last--in one underpass the water was all the way to the top of the cars and several homes and businesses got flooding. They needed some time to dry out. If that had been at our place--we're well north of that area--we would have had four inches of water in our back enclosed porch area. As it was we did get a nice rain. I'm loving it.

But I don't envy Sarah her water problems. That has to be miserable in an area that large and heavily populated. It was bad enough for just us when we lived out on the mountain and very occasionally had well or pump problems.

Restaurants, businesses that serve the public are closed. They are saying we can shower and wash hands but I wouldn't trust any of them doing that.

Hospitals have filtration systems, I always use filtered water (Britta) but I don't trust it. I made the coffee we drank yesterday with it, we used it for drinking water the day before and were afraid we took in toxins but none of us are sick or rashy. Hospitals are saying not a lot of ER patients showing up right now so that's good.

We randomly found a truck full of water yesterday just pulling up to Rite Aid so we're good for now. Hoping they find some solution sooner rather than later.

And how is YOUR day, :lol:

400,000 Ohioans are without water! :eek:

They might have to declare a state of emergency and stop people from going in to work on Monday because this is serious.

Stay safe, Sarah, you and your family are in my thoughts.

Restaurants, businesses that serve the public are closed. They are saying we can shower and wash hands but I wouldn't trust any of them doing that.

Hospitals have filtration systems, I always use filtered water (Britta) but I don't trust it. I made the coffee we drank yesterday with it, we used it for drinking water the day before and were afraid we took in toxins but none of us are sick or rashy. Hospitals are saying not a lot of ER patients showing up right now so that's good.

We randomly found a truck full of water yesterday just pulling up to Rite Aid so we're good for now. Hoping they find some solution sooner rather than later.

And how is YOUR day, :lol:

400,000 Ohioans are without water! :eek:

They might have to declare a state of emergency and stop people from going in to work on Monday because this is serious.

Stay safe, Sarah, you and your family are in my thoughts.

People are not working even if they want to. Servers, all kinds of restaurants, anyone working with food are all offline, grocery stores have empty shelves.

Water is coming to the area but not enough to get these people up and running.

Warm here, guys. Unlike you folks in the northeastern quarter of the country, we have had a warm summer. But we have had four days of 100 instead of the 19 last year at this date, which is a blessing.

Forum List

Back