USMB Coffee Shop IV

Morning greetings, everyone!

Busy, busy, busy. Waiting for my last flight for the day to leave. A B737 from the Russian Far East. They're loading a small dog sled in the cargo old right now.
Hard to think that Summer will soon be over. School starts in a couple of weeks. I only have one class. That means more time but less money. I always seem to run out of time before I run out of things to do.
I have missed visiting the CS, too.

Morning folks. I'm not at work or at church, so it must be Saturday ... I hope.

Jug_Smiley.jpg

You scared me there a second! But yeah, it's Saturday...

Well, soon it will be football season. I'm wondering how my beloved Washington Redskins will do and also how my second favorite team, the Packers, will do. I'm thinking the Packers will do much better than the Redskins but you just never know. Maybe this will be the year the Redskins go all the way and win the Super Bowl. *** I must be on drugs! *** My biggest hope is that the Redskins beat Dallas every time they play and the Packers have no defeats this year. Maybe I should go back to bed because the pain med is kicking in and I seem to be talking out of my butt. My left leg, the whole leg, and not just the area behind my knee is hurting and the pain is what woke me up. Pain med has it beginning to ease off. Although the pain med is working well, it has me a little dizzy and my thoughts are not exactly clear. I'm wondering things like, "Why aren't chickens orange?" and "What makes hampsters so darn cute?" I think I better go back to bed before the guys with the white jackets and butterfly nets come for me. Should I say "Good night" or "Good Morning?"

BBD, better call your doc and tell him the pain in the leg is getting worse. He might have missed something important. That just doesn't sound normal to me.

Good morning everybody. And I hope it is Saturday. I wake up every morning to a TV program that has the market futures and then the opening market numbers flashing in the lower right corner of the screen--except during commercials. So I lie there this morning waiting for the commercials to be over to see if it will be a good or bad day on the market (it has been really BAD for the last week or so.) The commercials come and go and no numbers. Well they forgot to start them up I think so I wait another cycle. No numbers again. . . .wait another. . . .

And then I remember that it's Saturday and the market is closed. So I got up.

We had more rain over night and at least a 50% chance for more today. It is downright chilly out there--is not supposed to make it even into the 80's today and this is the high desert in early August!!! Unheard of.

Hoping the perfect tenant will call for Gracie's room today, that Noomi's cold is all gone now and Tracy isn't getting it, and that Stat is all better this morning too.

The coffee is extra good this morning. Wishing a good weekend for all.

Headed in early today. We're starting Texas Hold'em at 2PM and there's not a lot of time to set stuff up.
Got a new laptop yesterday. Hate windows 8.1 but I can't get it to boot from a CD so I can install Linux. ARRRGH

Good morning all. Sending feel better soon vibes to Stat. I can so empathize--I seem to have an excellent immune system that wards off most uglies going around, but if there is a stomach flu anywhere in a 10-county radius, I'm going to get it.

All the talk about good German bread makes my mouth water. I used to make a decent Bauernbrot from a recipe passed down from my Austrian grandmother, but these days just haven't mustered the patience to make the sour dough starter and then the energy or muscle to make the bread. But now that I'm thinking about it. . . maybe. . .

Hombre had a pretty good night though woke up pretty sore this morning. The graft went well yesterday afternoon and now we go through the 12-day routine of treating the wounds until all is healed up and he's good to go. Hopefully the worst is behind us though we are both tense waiting to hear on the results of the last biopsy. Again thanks for all the prayers and positive vibes everybody. It really does help.

Okay more coffee. Hope everybody, including Stat, is looking forward to a great weekend.

Thanks for the kind wishes, Foxfyre.

Well, the last 5 hours I have spent more on the toilet than anywhere else. Looks like a 24-hour-bug kind of thing. The babysitter who watched my little one yesterday (it was a normal business day) just picked her up so she can go and play some, no need for her to be couped-up just because Papa is crouping. The little one will be back in 2 hours.

I am hopeful that by tomorrow morning, most of this will be gone. But the stomach problem caused a lot of burping that smelled like rotten eggs, something I have never experienced before, ever - so I looked it up. From what I read, there are a number of possible causes, but cutting out anything that can even remotely cause reflux will help, so nix coffee, nix carbonated drinks and nix fatty stuff.

Ugh.

Thought to pass along the Stat-Stomach-Bug-2014 update.

After sitting on the porcelain throne practically all of yesterday and having eaten all of two pieces of dry toast (now, that was exciting), I got the little one into bed at 9 and fell dead in bed at about 10 and slept through till 8.

This morning still meant trips to the porcelain throne, but as the day is wearing on, I note that I am indeed perking up. I took the little one swimming again (damn, is that exhausting if you are coming off a sickness) and her treat afterward was McDonalds. I hate McDonalds, she loves McDonalds. Oh, well, it's vacation. So, we ate there (I had a green salad) about 2 hours ago and I still don't have to visit the porcelain throne, so the prognosis for the rest of the weekend is ok.

But damn, that kind of stuff makes a dude tired!!!

I want to thank the MANY USMB members for the kind thoughts they sent in PM to me - that was really quite heartening.

The little one wants to watch Scooby Doo right now. Yepp, she takes right after her Papa....

Hope you all are having a decidely better weekend than I. :)

Interesting thing this past week.
The company I work for is being bought out by another company.
In the past, I've worked for companies that bought other companies. I've never worked for the company that was being bought.
As an IT employee, my job/department will be highly needed to merge the computer systems of two Fortune 500 companies. During my tenure with the company I've done IT support and development for merchandising, logistics and currently finance. Exciting times and I know the systems inside and out from both an operational and IT perspective. I'm sitting in the catbird seat.

In the past, I've worked for companies that bought other companies. I've never worked for the company that was being bought.
As an IT employee, my job/department will be highly needed to merge the computer systems of two Fortune 500 companies. During my tenure with the company I've done IT support and development for merchandising, logistics and currently finance. Exciting times and I know the systems inside and out from both an operational and IT perspective. I'm sitting in the catbird seat.

That happened to me a couple of years ago. They flew us all in to HQ in Toronto to map out their vision of the future, telling us "you guys are gonna be busier than you've ever been!"

Six months later we found out what they meant; we were indeed busier than ever ---looking for work somebody else to work for. The few that they kept on got the short end of the stick; they got worked into the ground.

First clue was when we all went to check in in Toronto and were told, "um... this room isn't paid for..."

That happened to me a couple of years ago. They flew us all in to HQ in Toronto to map out their vision of the future, telling us "you guys are gonna be busier than you've ever been!"

Six months later we found out what they meant; we were indeed busier than ever ---looking for work somebody else to work for. The few that they kept on got the short end of the stick; they got worked into the ground.

First clue was when we all went to check in in Toronto and were told, "um... this room isn't paid for..."

Ouch!

well, down the shore today but its raining. so we went out for breakfast at IHOP and then went shopping. We're planning on redoing the bathroom so we bought a knew vanity, sink and marble top, toilet and tile for the floor. I'm finishing up a wood floor in the den and instead of putting wood molding around the base I'm putting decorative tiles. so we picked those up too. i'll take some pictures when its all done

Headed in early today. We're starting Texas Hold'em at 2PM and there's not a lot of time to set stuff up.
Got a new laptop yesterday. Hate windows 8.1 but I can't get it to boot from a CD so I can install Linux. ARRRGH

You'll have to go into your boot sequencer at start up and select boot from CD/DVD or however they have it listed. Microsoft generally sets their start up to boot from the hard drive. Who made the laptop? That will tell us how to get to the boot sequencer.

That's great. Sometimes it does work out. Sometimes not. Too often new management is not as competent as the old management and that doesn't work out very well for almost everybody.

Back during the 80's, I learned the trade that would eventually become our own business and did so by working for a small company based in Salt Lake City. At some point that company, along with a dozen other similar businesses, was bought out by a large corporation operating out of South Carolina. And those of us out here in the west were subject to the unhappy experience of having MBA's back east, people who had never done what we do, who had no understanding of the purpose of what we did, who didn't know how, where, or under what circumstances we were doing our jobs, telling us how to do them and setting the standards for what was acceptable performance.

They managed to bankrupt every one of those small businesses. Which is why Hombre and I went into business ourselves. And that worked out pretty well.

You'll have to go into your boot sequencer at start up and select boot from CD/DVD or however they have it listed. Microsoft generally sets their start up to boot from the hard drive. Who made the laptop? That will tell us how to get to the boot sequencer.

With Windows 8 or 8.1, when you insert the CD be sure the desk top is fully visible. A little pop down screen will come down from the upper right corner--your right as you face the monitor screen. It will ask what you want to do with the CD. You click on the window and it gives you a number of options. If you don't respond to the pop down screen quickly, however, it goes away and you have to reinsert the CD to get it to reappear.

I was going to issue that warning but you beat me to it. I've worked for three large companies that were purchased. The problem with these huge mergers is that both companies have IT departments; CEOs; Human Resource departments; etc. In every case, heads were chopped a few short months after the acquisition was complete. Just be the best at what you do and you should be safe but I've seen really good folks walk out the door with a pink slip.

With Windows 8 or 8.1, when you insert the CD be sure the desk top is fully visible. A little pop down screen will come down from the upper right corner--your right as you face the monitor screen. It will ask what you want to do with the CD. You click on the window and it gives you a number of options. If you don't respond to the pop down screen quickly, however, it goes away and you have to reinsert the CD to get it to reappear.

Generally the problem with bootable discs, particularly other operating systems on the disc, Windows will not let it run from the pop up so the boot sequence needs to be changed so it will run from start up.
Windows will tell you it's unrecognizable files.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back