USMB Coffee Shop IV

I see the bird but unsure of species. Maybe a roadrunner?
Pied Wagtail. It's native to England
1641743480441.png

After watching skating for 12 uninterrupted hours yesterday, even I had had enough!!! Currently watching the US Men.

In reality, neither of our teams has much hope for the Olympics. Canada won 4 medals last time, including the team Gold Medal. At best, we might get a bronze medal in the Ice Dance, but nothing else. The USA has a gold medal hope in Nathan Chen, and a silver or bronze in ice-dance. Chen should have won last time, but blew up in the short program and was 17th - 30 points behind the leader and eventual winner. Despite winning the free skate by 9 points, he was just too far behind after the short, and finished 5th over all.

My daughter skated when she was little, which is why I have a business making figure skating outfits today. You have to have something to do with all those hours spent at the rink, or you'll go crazy. Some parents volunteer for the board, work in the office, or on the website. One of the Dad's cut music for the skaters. The ones who don't find something useful to occupy their time obsess over their child's skating lose their minds and become "Skate Moms from Hell".

Many of the kids my daughter trained with when she was skating, went to the Olympics. She was invited to train at the Granite Club when she was 9 years old, and we sent her there for a summer camp the year we sold the cottage, but we couldn't afford that place. At the end of the summer, my husband said "Is there no way we can afford it", and my response was "Only if we started living in the car". Joining that club would cost more money either my husband or I earned in a year.

My 9 year old daughter ate her lunch that summer watching Kurt Browning (her HERO) practice his Stars on Ice routines. a few feet from where she sat. The 2nd floor cafe is right behind those windows. The ice surface is raised so watching the skaters from the restaurant is like sitting in front of a stage watching them at a theatre, from the front row.

Her home rink was the Leaside Arena - an ancient and cold hockey barn, where we sat huddled in heavy coats to watch the kids. I asked Emily what she liked best about the Granite Club and she said "There are no bugs in the dressing room".

Attachments

• Granite.jpg
    Granite.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 16
After watching skating for 12 uninterrupted hours yesterday, even I had had enough!!! Currently watching the US Men.

In reality, neither of our teams has much hope for the Olympics. Canada won 4 medals last time, including the team Gold Medal. At best, we might get a bronze medal in the Ice Dance, but nothing else. The USA has a gold medal hope in Nathan Chen, and a silver or bronze in ice-dance. Chen should have won last time, but blew up in the short program and was 17th - 30 points behind the leader and eventual winner. Despite winning the free skate by 9 points, he was just too far behind after the short, and finished 5th over all.

My daughter skated when she was little, which is why I have a business making figure skating outfits today. You have to have something to do with all those hours spent at the rink, or you'll go crazy. Some parents volunteer for the board, work in the office, or on the website. One of the Dad's cut music for the skaters. The ones who don't find something useful to occupy their time obsess over their child's skating lose their minds and become "Skate Moms from Hell".

Many of the kids my daughter trained with when she was skating, went to the Olympics. She was invited to train at the Granite Club when she was 9 years old, and we sent her there for a summer camp the year we sold the cottage, but we couldn't afford that place. At the end of the summer, my husband said "Is there no way we can afford it", and my response was "Only if we started living in the car". Joining that club would cost more money either my husband or I earned in a year.

My 9 year old daughter ate her lunch that summer watching Kurt Browning (her HERO) practice his Stars on Ice routines. a few feet from where she sat. The 2nd floor cafe is right behind those windows. The ice surface is raised so watching the skaters from the restaurant is like sitting in front of a stage watching them at a theatre, from the front row.

Her home rink was the Leaside Arena - an ancient and cold hockey barn, where we sat huddled in heavy coats to watch the kids. I asked Emily what she liked best about the Granite Club and she said "There are no bugs in the dressing room".
Wow, impressive. Figure skating and gymnastics are my favorite Olympic events despite the frustration of how subjective the scoring sometimes is. I was once executive director of a large YWCA. We didn't have ice skating but did teach competitive swimming (as well as Red Cross safety, lifeguard, & SWI training), and gymnastics. We never had somebody who actually made it to the Olympics but quite a few who went on to compete in Olympic trials. And yes, though it was never a serious problem, our number one headache was super ambitious parents. :)

What a beautiful bird, Ig325! I could barely make it out, so found some easy-to-see Pied wagtail birds from bing search engine:
View attachment 585861
View attachment 585865View attachment 585866View attachment 585862View attachment 585867View attachment 585864
I just love their markings. No wonder people over there must love them​

When the picture and solution were first posted, I thought it looked a little like a Blue Jay but gray. We have a lot of blue jays around here. Noisy things.

Attachments

• jays.jpg
    jays.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 16
Wow, impressive. Figure skating and gymnastics are my favorite Olympic events despite the frustration of how subjective the scoring sometimes is. I was once executive director of a large YWCA. We didn't have ice skating but did teach competitive swimming (as well as Red Cross safety, lifeguard, & SWI training), and gymnastics. We never had somebody who actually made it to the Olympics but quite a few who went on to compete in Olympic trials. And yes, though it was never a serious problem, our number one headache was super ambitious parents. :)

Swimming was my sport. Some of the kids I swam against went to the Olympics. Two of them are in the Ontario Swimming Hall of Fame, after multiple Olympics and marathon records. Kenny Armstrong, the legendary US Diving Coach who coached Summer Sanders to the 2000 Olympic Gold Medal, is a Canadian from my home town, and was on my swim team as a kid. He was younger than me by a few years.
But I was a summer swimmer, and wasn't going anywhere further than our local swim team.

Emily skated in Central Ontario Section, which included the Mariposa Club in Barrie (Brian Orser, Elvis Stojko, Jeff Buttle), and the elite private clubs in Toronto. I told her she was very lucky because she wouldn't have to leave home to train - ever. She made the Ontario Championships in 2000, but was injured and out of the sport by her 12th birthday. We had multiple invitations from coaches and clubs but realistically, both of her parents are six footers. Champion female skaters are under 5' 5". It's physics. Genetics were not on her side from the beginning regardless of her talent or desire. I just wanted her to have fun and to learn a work ethic, and have some success - all the things swimming had given me.

Emily skated a summer camp with Patrick Chan (Cricket Club, and later Granite), and we knew Virtue & Moir from Thornhill Summer Skate. Meagan Duhamel (2 time World Pairs Champion), is still a friend, but she's retired and doing commentary. Lesley Buttle, mother of World Champion Jeff Buttle, is a long-time friend. She used to do Jeff's costumes, as well as other skaters. We have that in common. There are a number of kids Emily hung out or who started with our club, who made the international team for a time, but aren't names you would know, unless you're a real die hard fan.

The only one of the kids that Emily skated with who is still on the Canadian team is Paul Poirier - World Ice Dance bronze medalist with his partner, Piper Gilles. Paul and Emily used to hang out together when we went out to Scarborough for extra ice time before competitions. This is his third and final Olympics. They're really our only hope for a medal.

I agree. But they're such eye candy... at least here in the piney woods they are.

You'd love it where I live. Since moving to the Escarpment, I've seen at least a dozen birds I had only seen in pictures, and some I'd never seen at all. Baltimore Orioles - I saw one at our cottage up north once, back in the 1990's. In addition we have tons of cardinals, American goldfinches. Eastern bluebirds aren't common but I have seen them, and my prized sighting - a scarlet tanager, which I had only ever seen in pictures.

There's a bald eagle nesting ground just outside of town, along North Shore Road. Great blue herons live in the canals and shallow wading areas. And we're a stopover for east coast migration to northern breeding grounds

In the spring, we get bufflehead ducks stopping by on their way to their breeding ground up north. I had never heard of them much less seen one, but I'm sure they were the models for the original "rubber duckies" because that's what they look like. An adult bufflehead weighs less than a pound. They don't stay long - their breeding grounds are further north. I put the picture of the mallard in for perspective.

Attachments

• bufflehead.jpg
    bufflehead.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 19
  • ducks.jpg
    ducks.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 15
Well alrighty then. Update on MrG.

Chronic fibrosing interstitial lung disease aka ILDS. In short...scarring of the lung. They are putting him on OFEV, 150 mgs per day. It will not cure the problem but it will help stop further scarring. Life span on OFEV is approx 13 years...without OFEV, 3 years. I'm guessing 7 years because of his heart disease. Trying to make the most of it, lots of calls, lots of info I am scooping up, lots of headaches from cramming that info, many phone calls to various doctors and pharmacies since this drug is considered "specialty", alot of scheduling and rescheduling, meetings with social workers who are trying to help me navigate everything. According to the social worker, I need IHSS too (caregiver), to which I said no..I just want alittle help with MrG because I am not ready to just lay down and let something live my life for me. I hurt, I do things I should not do, but as long as I can do it and pay for it later with exhaustion, that's what I will do. So...working on getting that little help but it will be a few months until it gets done. Meanwhile....gall bladder surgery is being prepared for him, where I have to be his caregiver because I don't think I want him in a rehab place like he was when he had the lung biopsy. I KNOW what to do after gall bladder surgery since I experienced it first hand myself. I think I can handle it. Maybe. Pretty sure. I think. Will wait til the surgery is over and see how he is handling it then decide the best course of action.

Anyway....that's the update so far. Fun, no?

Chronic fibrosing interstitial lung disease aka ILDS. In short...scarring of the lung. They are putting him on OFEV, 150 mgs per day. It will not cure the problem but it will help stop further scarring. Life span on OFEV is approx 13 years...without OFEV, 3 years. I'm guessing 7 years because of his heart disease. Trying to make the most of it, lots of calls, lots of info I am scooping up, lots of headaches from cramming that info, many phone calls to various doctors and pharmacies since this drug is considered "specialty", alot of scheduling and rescheduling, meetings with social workers who are trying to help me navigate everything. According to the social worker, I need IHSS too (caregiver), to which I said no..I just want alittle help with MrG because I am not ready to just lay down and let something live my life for me. I hurt, I do things I should not do, but as long as I can do it and pay for it later with exhaustion, that's what I will do. So...working on getting that little help but it will be a few months until it gets done. Meanwhile....gall bladder surgery is being prepared for him, where I have to be his caregiver because I don't think I want him in a rehab place like he was when he had the lung biopsy. I KNOW what to do after gall bladder surgery since I experienced it first hand myself. I think I can handle it. Maybe. Pretty sure. I think. Will wait til the surgery is over and see how he is handling it then decide the best course of action.

No, not fun. But it is life. And how we live it.

Enjoy every moment you can.

No no fun. A lot on your plate. You might want to rethink accepting IHSS for you too. Any additional help can't hurt.

Hombre is facing a hip replacement next month and that means he has to be careful to not bend more than a 90 degree angle for I think they said 6 months? And he has a terrible problem getting up and down out of chairs which is going to be even harder now. So dealing with that, plus my 95-yr-old aunt who is still living alone at her home but is needing more and more help and there is no dependable help for her other than Hombre and me. And my own issues are still with me too. It can be easily overwhelming if we don't take it one day at a time or sometimes one hour at a time.

I'd take all of the physical help you can get, Gracie. With your husband so limited and having hip surgery, you're could be putting yourself at risk if you try to do too much physically, and you're the one he really needs to be there. It'll let you focus on the keeping his spirits up. One of my best friends had hip replacement surgery, and she said the recovery was the most difficult thing she's ever done, and she was otherwise in excellent health going in.

Last week, my serger lost it's timing - barely two weeks after I had it reset. The machine is more than 20 years old and it's had a hard life. My backup died 2 years ago. It was only 15 years old but it was manufactured in Asia and was a piece of shit. My American made Singer was my rock. Replacing it is going to cost me $400, and it won't be American made.

I've already had someone want to buy a velvet dress but I'm out of stock on the size she needs. They were this year's "hot item" at Christmas. I can't even offer to make the dress she wants size at the moment. And we're in lockdown. My "driver" has covid, so I can't go to the City to get to the dealer. Amazon can deliver one in a week or less, but I'd rather buy local.

And last night one of my back teeth broke in half. Behind the canine on the left side. The other half is still in my mouth. So much for my lockdown savings account. Tooth removal, new partial plate, $1000 minimum. I'm applying for Trillium benefits when I post this, but I really don't like the only dentist in town, and would go back to my Toronto dentist for this if we weren't in lockdown.

Forum List

Back