USMB Coffee Shop IV

While I'm on my silly vicarious trip into nature, the Coastal Mountains of Mexico is home to the Monarch Butterflies that seem to go north and back south again by DNA instruction? Who knows, not me. :)

My daughter was working on Monterrey CA at the time and the Monarch butterflies stop there on their migration to and from Mexico. We happened to visit when they were there. Thousands upon thousands of them in the trees in a park. Amazing.

Good Morning everyone, boring morning at work! Hope everyone is having a good day so far

Good morning to you also Opie... I also hail from the Hoosier State... It's my home and always will be my home... I have lived in every county west of and including Marion County... Hendricks, Putnam, Clay and Vigo... Primarily Hendricks and Putnam though...
Where do you hang your hat?

Last edited:
Good Morning, Pots brewin. anyone have any good shows to binge watch?
No, but I have a suggestion. Get yourself one of those little 8x12-inch DVD players, find a good DVD supplier or go to Good Will and ask where the shelves of DVDs are. For a couple of bucks you can take your chances on getting and oldie but a goodie, and you can play it on your small player, or your computer if you have a way to download it. It is a 90-minute way to get your mind off stuff you don't care to think about and can be a trampoline bounce to doing something else that is more productive than before you watched your DVD of choice. I've been doing this since my husband passed away 6 years ago and have several hundred discs, many of which I haven't watched yet. My repeats include Bible story videos, some of which I found at Good Will, and some of which I invested in at Wally world. It helped me cope with the deepest sadness you can ever have, losing someone you truly adore. *sigh* It got me through the worst times, and now it helps me get over the little word war our nation seems to be engaging in on a day-to-day basis. Here's hoping that you have some good shows to watch for always, Mr. Opie. :coffee:

It's so nice to have a computer again. I must've had a dozen or so typos in most of my phone-generated posts for what? Three years now? It also gave me a sever backache, all that correcting mistakes and missing as many more. I-phones suck! /opinion I think I'd like it a lot better if you could use your computer as a phone. The only trouble is, I forgot most of the things you need to know about computers over the several years I didn't have a server. lol

Have a blessed day, everyone. If you really want an upper, do a good deed a day and don't ever tell anyone. :mm:

Edit: I need more coffee!!! Hugs! :huddle:

Good morning everyone. That sounds nostalgia kind of like back when me and my dad used to go to the local 📼 store and find us a good flick to watch I remember that man was always the kindest

FIMAf5LXEAcZZi-.jpg

While Thanksgiving has come and gone, its never too late to be thankful...

...and the beat goes on...
Jared Jernagan

Banner Graphic editor, husband, dad, storyteller, mutton chop enthusiast, purveyor of miscellany.

THURSDAY JAM: On the backroads by the rivers of my memory​

Posted Thursday, November 25, 2021, at 11:39 PM
3700234-B.jpg

It's Thanksgiving, and I can't go home.
This isn't exactly a new realization. My parents haven't lived in that old house on Fall Street for more than a decade now. And Grandma and Grandpa's house back that long lane in Pike Township? I don't know if it's even there anymore. I know they aren't.
So what exactly "home" means these days is debatable. I know I've been at my house on Greencastle's east side all day, with my beautiful wife and the two kids we've made. It's all of them – along with the family members who shared this special day with us – that make this place my home now.
I am blessed. Don't let the somber tone of this post make you think otherwise.
But there's more to this home thing. I woke up this morning with a song in my head that brought a smile to my lips, a tap to my toe and a tear to my eye – Glen Campbell's 1967 version of the John Hartford-penned "Gentle on My Mind."
There's just something about this song that feels like home, whatever that means. It's somewhat ironic in that it's told from the perspective of a man who doesn't seem to have a home. Instead, he seems to wander the country (as a hobo?) but knows that he has a place to stay whenever he returns to this particular woman's place.
Is she a forgiving wife who is understanding of his wanderlust? Is it just an on-again-off-again romance not defined by marriage – one that he can simply pick back up whenever he returns to town and unrolls that sleeping bag stashed behind her couch?
Who really knows? Hartford never exactly revealed the answer (if he even knew) other than saying he was inspired to write it by "Dr. Zhivago" and admitting that the woman in the song bore some similarities both to his wife at the time as well as the film's female protagonist.
But none of that really matters to for my purposes. There's just something in this song – the melody, the vocal delivery and that driving banjo – that just puts me at ease. There's also the stream-of-consciousness style of the whole affair. It feels as if we're just hearing a three-minute snippet of observations that could go on for hours or even days. I relax when I hear it, let my guard down the way you would at Mom and Dad's house on Thanksgiving.
I suppose that it doesn't hurt that Mom was a big Glen Campbell fan or that Dad was going downhill with dementia over roughly the same period as the music icon — Campbell died following a decline from Alzheimer's in August 2017, while Dad died in February 2018 having struggled with an unnamed form of dementia.
So there are also those connections anytime I listen to any Campbell song.
That's why, while many of the lyrics don't apply to my parents or how I feel about them in life or in death, when I hear the words "you're moving on the backroads by the rivers of my memory, and for hours you're just gentle on my mind," I can't help but break into a melancholy smile. Because that's where Mom and Dad live for me now. And that's OK because songs like this can put me there with them for a little while.
Among the many things I have to be grateful for this Thanksgiving, the healing power of music is high on the list. It's the connections it helps you make and the feelings it makes you feel – even when you'd rather not.
God bless you all. Count your blessings and hug the ones you love.

Jared Jernagan
Banner Graphic editor, husband, dad, storyteller, mutton chop enthusiast, purveyor of miscellany.

3700234-B.jpg

This isn't exactly a new realization. My parents haven't lived in that old house on Fall Street for more than a decade now. And Grandma and Grandpa's house back that long lane in Pike Township? I don't know if it's even there anymore. I know they aren't.
So what exactly "home" means these days is debatable. I know I've been at my house on Greencastle's east side all day, with my beautiful wife and the two kids we've made. It's all of them – along with the family members who shared this special day with us – that make this place my home now.
But there's more to this home thing. I woke up this morning with a song in my head that brought a smile to my lips, a tap to my toe and a tear to my eye – Glen Campbell's 1967 version of the John Hartford-penned "Gentle on My Mind."
There's just something about this song that feels like home, whatever that means. It's somewhat ironic in that it's told from the perspective of a man who doesn't seem to have a home. Instead, he seems to wander the country (as a hobo?) but knows that he has a place to stay whenever he returns to this particular woman's place.
Is she a forgiving wife who is understanding of his wanderlust? Is it just an on-again-off-again romance not defined by marriage – one that he can simply pick back up whenever he returns to town and unrolls that sleeping bag stashed behind her couch?
Who really knows? Hartford never exactly revealed the answer (if he even knew) other than saying he was inspired to write it by "Dr. Zhivago" and admitting that the woman in the song bore some similarities both to his wife at the time as well as the film's female protagonist.
But none of that really matters to for my purposes. There's just something in this song – the melody, the vocal delivery and that driving banjo – that just puts me at ease. There's also the stream-of-consciousness style of the whole affair. It feels as if we're just hearing a three-minute snippet of observations that could go on for hours or even days. I relax when I hear it, let my guard down the way you would at Mom and Dad's house on Thanksgiving.
I suppose that it doesn't hurt that Mom was a big Glen Campbell fan or that Dad was going downhill with dementia over roughly the same period as the music icon — Campbell died following a decline from Alzheimer's in August 2017, while Dad died in February 2018 having struggled with an unnamed form of dementia.
That's why, while many of the lyrics don't apply to my parents or how I feel about them in life or in death, when I hear the words "you're moving on the backroads by the rivers of my memory, and for hours you're just gentle on my mind," I can't help but break into a melancholy smile. Because that's where Mom and Dad live for me now. And that's OK because songs like this can put me there with them for a little while.
Among the many things I have to be grateful for this Thanksgiving, the healing power of music is high on the list. It's the connections it helps you make and the feelings it makes you feel – even when you'd rather not.

Oh my Ridgerunner. You brought tears--not bad tears but good tears--to my eyes with this one. I love Glen Campbell music and find myself more and more remembering good times of the past and how much I miss so many who are now gone.

Oh my Ridgerunner. You brought tears--not bad tears but good tears--to my eyes with this one. I love Glen Campbell music and find myself more and more remembering good times of the past and how much I miss so many who are now gone.
Ma'am, I posted it with tears in my eyes...

The young man that wrote this works for what used to be a daily newspaper in the town where I spent part of my life...

No, but I have a suggestion. Get yourself one of those little 8x12-inch DVD players, find a good DVD supplier or go to Good Will and ask where the shelves of DVDs are. For a couple of bucks you can take your chances on getting and oldie but a goodie, and you can play it on your small player, or your computer if you have a way to download it. It is a 90-minute way to get your mind off stuff you don't care to think about and can be a trampoline bounce to doing something else that is more productive than before you watched your DVD of choice. I've been doing this since my husband passed away 6 years ago and have several hundred discs, many of which I haven't watched yet. My repeats include Bible story videos, some of which I found at Good Will, and some of which I invested in at Wally world. It helped me cope with the deepest sadness you can ever have, losing someone you truly adore. *sigh* It got me through the worst times, and now it helps me get over the little word war our nation seems to be engaging in on a day-to-day basis. Here's hoping that you have some good shows to watch for always, Mr. Opie. :coffee:
We have a Sony Bluray/DVD player attached to our big screen TV and watch all our movies that way. If you have a smart TV it automatically adjusts whatever settings are needed for movie/video/whatever. We have been collecting favorite movies for years and almost all are from the 1950's through the 1990's. Very few movies made very much past 2000 have the thoughtful editing, direction, character development, story telling etc. that allows you to just lose yourself in the movie for awhile.

Jared Jernagan

3700234-B.jpg

Glen Campbell was one of my favorites growing up, thanks for posting that 😊

We have a Sony Bluray/DVD player attached to our big screen TV and watch all our movies that way. If you have a smart TV it automatically adjusts whatever settings are needed for movie/video/whatever. We have been collecting favorite movies for years and almost all are from the 1950's through the 1990's. Very few movies made very much past 2000 have the thoughtful editing, direction, character development, story telling etc. that allows you to just lose yourself in the movie for awhile.
Well, I have the equipment that hooks it to the tv, because it came with the player. Thanks, I'll have to try that, Foxfyre.

Just read a tip I think worth passing on.
Have you ever been in a waiting room or theater or some place with lots of empty seats but the stranger sits down next to you and you're uncomfortable with that but don't want to be rude? Just stare straight ahead and say, "Did you bring the money?"

Just read a tip I think worth passing on.
Have you ever been in a waiting room or theater or some place with lots of empty seats but the stranger sits down next to you and you're uncomfortable with that but don't want to be rude? Just stare straight ahead and say, "Did you bring the money?"

Hope they don't say "yes" !!!!!!!!!!!!

It is painful to read through the politics section. I want to comment on threads, but the acrimony just drips from both sides.

Forum List

Back