USMB Coffee Shop IV

With the price of good breads going through the roof (not the cheap white breads), I'm considering getting a fully automatic bread maker.
The two I'm considering are the Cuisinart compact (up to 2 lbs) or the Amazon's Basic equivalent both of which have excellent independent ratings. Of course the Amazon one is $61 cheaper. The biggest complaint with both is they tend to be noisy during the mixing/kneading process. I've listened on YouTube vids and they don't sound all that noisy to me.

It is so easy to make bread! I recommend a Kitchenaid Mixmaster (lift up bown, 5 qt) with a dough hook. Sometimes you can find good used ones on craigslist or ebay. The bread turns out so much nicer

I had a vitamin D deficiency that a healthy diet and even spending more time in the sun wasn't helping. The vitamin D supplements have corrected that. There is a lot of data out there, and my local health care experts that I know agree with it, a large number of COVID patients are Vitamin D deficient. Also other cases of pneumonia, upper respiratory tract infections, blood clots etc. seem to be much higher in those with Vitamin D deficiencies. All this convinces me Vitamin D is pretty important. I know if I don't take the magnesium I have a lot more problem with night cramps and I figure extra Vitamin C and zinc etc. can't hurt.

But those getting great blood tests without the supplements of course don't need them.

Quercetin is really good for respiratory health.

I had a vitamin D deficiency that a healthy diet and even spending more time in the sun wasn't helping. The vitamin D supplements have corrected that. There is a lot of data out there, and my local health care experts that I know agree with it, a large number of COVID patients are Vitamin D deficient. Also other cases of pneumonia, upper respiratory tract infections, blood clots etc. seem to be much higher in those with Vitamin D deficiencies. All this convinces me Vitamin D is pretty important. I know if I don't take the magnesium I have a lot more problem with night cramps and I figure extra Vitamin C and zinc etc. can't hurt.

But those getting great blood tests without the supplements of course don't need them.

Before covid, my doctor found both vitamin A and Vitamin D deficiencies, not to mention magnesium. Replenishing was a blessing. Glad you have a great physician. By the way, your beautiful pictures of the birds gathering were amazing. Made my day!

It is so easy to make bread! I recommend a Kitchenaid Mixmaster (lift up bown, 5 qt) with a dough hook. Sometimes you can find good used ones on craigslist or ebay. The bread turns out so much nicer
Oh, they're the best. My husband bought me one when I whined a little 40 years ago when I took a bread baking class. what an asset to the breadbaker's kitchen. It sure made a difference in my children's nutrition because I added Roman meal to every loaf of Finnish bread she gave us as a recipe, and it became our favorite one. Yom!

Oh, they're the best. My husband bought me one when I whined a little 40 years ago when I took a bread baking class. what an asset to the breadbaker's kitchen. It sure made a difference in my children's nutrition because I added Roman meal to every loaf of Finnish bread she gave us as a recipe, and it became our favorite one. Yom!

I've had mine for 30 years! They made appliances to last back then. It's nearly time for me to start the holiday dinner rolls baking project. That gives the rig a work out!

Alcohol is generally common for almost all people at world :)

But when I see, how you drink vodka - like a whiskey with ice... It's terrible! :) vodka is tasteless it should be drunk in one gulp! :)
But why drink something that is tasteless? A popular way to drink it here is with some lemon juice, club soda, a bit of sweetener usually a simple syrup, ice and a pretty garnish and you have a Vodka Collins, one of my personal favorites when I was still drinking alcohol. I no longer do for health reasons. The same recipe with gin is called a Tom Collins.

I don't have a stand mixer either and really don't need one often enough to justify the expense (and counter space which is rather limited in my kitchen.) That's another reason I haven't really seriously considered a bread machine too. The air fryer take up more space than I like but I do use it often enough to justify it.

There have been times though that I really REALLY would have enjoyed that stand mixer

I don't have a stand mixer either and really don't need one often enough to justify the expense (and counter space which is rather limited in my kitchen.) That's another reason I haven't really seriously considered a bread machine too. The air fryer take up more space than I like but I do use it often enough to justify it.

There have been times though that I really REALLY would have enjoyed that stand mixer

The countertop space is always at a premium! I prioritize having the Kitchenaid Mixmaster, toaster oven, coffee grinder and the cappuccino maker within easy reach. Everything else is in the cupboards.

The countertop space is always at a premium! I prioritize having the Kitchenaid Mixmaster, toaster oven, coffee grinder and the cappuccino maker within easy reach. Everything else is in the cupboards.
But that's a problem for me too. I have a galley kitchen except that it has a wall (no cupboards or counterspace) at one end and cupboard space is at a premium too. I make room for what is really important though.

I've had mine for 30 years! They made appliances to last back then. It's nearly time for me to start the holiday dinner rolls baking project. That gives the rig a work out!
Yes stuff did last almost forever that was manufactured back then. But they cost between $400 and $500 now, are probably less reliable, and unless you have lots of money, you would need to be a serious and prolific baker to justify the expense.

Hand mixing and kneading is hard work and a lot slower, but I work really really cheap. :)

Yes stuff did last almost forever that was manufactured back then. But they cost between $400 and $500 now, are probably less reliable, and unless you have lots of money, you would need to be a serious and prolific baker to justify the expense.

Hand mixing and kneading is hard work and a lot slower, but I work really really cheap. :)

The newer ones are not as good. I was fortunate to receive mine as a Christmas gift - my husband's big hint that he wanted homemade bread more often. I do do hand kneading for small things - like pizza (which I made for dinner last night).

The newer ones are not as good. I was fortunate to receive mine as a Christmas gift - my husband's big hint that he wanted homemade bread more often. I do do hand kneading for small things - like pizza (which I made for dinner last night).
I make my own pizza dough too. Really easy. As are dinner rolls, cinnamon buns, etc. that are easier to mix and knead than loaves of bread that require somewhat more effort. But homemade bread without all the preservatives and additives in commercial bread is always going to be healthier and, as Beautress pointed out, if you add some nutritious fiber, whole grains or whatever, it is actually healthy. It should be frozen or used pretty quickly though. Commercial bread has a counter life approximating a mop handle it seems. Homemade bread not so much.

I make my own pizza dough too. Really easy. As are dinner rolls, cinnamon buns, etc. that are easier to mix and knead than loaves of bread that require somewhat more effort.

Indeed! We also do quick breads fairly often. Oat scones, buttermilk biscuits and corn meal muffins are staples chez boe.

Indeed! We also do quick breads fairly often. Oat scones, buttermilk biscuits and corn meal muffins are staples chez boe.
I haven't tried scones. I should. I have made crumpets that turned out pretty good, but we usually just have biscuits or cornbread which I make both from scratch.

I haven't tried scones. I should. I have made crumpets that turned out pretty good, but we usually just have biscuits or cornbread which I make both from scratch.

Scones are basically rich biscuits with egg. I like the Quaker Oats recipe - but make it with whipping cream instead of milk:
  • 1 1/2 Cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 1 Cup(s)
    Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 1/4 Cup(s) granulated sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon(s) Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Teaspoon(s) salt (optional)
  • 8 Tablespoon(s) (1 stick) margarine or butter, chilled and cut into pieces
  • 1/2 Cup(s) currants, diced dried mixed fruit, dried cranberries or dried blueberries
  • 1/3 Cup(s) milk
  • 1 Tablespoon(s) granulated sugar
  • 1/8 Teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
  • 1 Egg, lightly beaten

Cooking Instructions​

Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet. In large bowl, combine flour, oats, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in currants. In small bowl, combine milk and egg; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.) Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times. Roll or pat dough into 8-inch circle about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with combined remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon. Cut into 10 wedges; place on cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.

1666590251397.png

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Scones are basically rich biscuits with egg. I like the Quaker Oats recipe - but make it with whipping cream instead of milk:
  • 1 1/2 Cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 1 Cup(s)
    Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 1/4 Cup(s) granulated sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon(s) Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Teaspoon(s) salt (optional)
  • 8 Tablespoon(s) (1 stick) margarine or butter, chilled and cut into pieces
  • 1/2 Cup(s) currants, diced dried mixed fruit, dried cranberries or dried blueberries
  • 1/3 Cup(s) milk
  • 1 Tablespoon(s) granulated sugar
  • 1/8 Teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
  • 1 Egg, lightly beaten

Cooking Instructions​

Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet. In large bowl, combine flour, oats, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in currants. In small bowl, combine milk and egg; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.) Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times. Roll or pat dough into 8-inch circle about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with combined remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon. Cut into 10 wedges; place on cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
Looks yummy. I'll have to try that. I assume the 1/2 cup of fruit is an either/or up there and not 1/2 cup of each?

But why drink something that is tasteless? A popular way to drink it here is with some lemon juice, club soda, a bit of sweetener usually a simple syrup, ice and a pretty garnish and you have a Vodka Collins, one of my personal favorites when I was still drinking alcohol. I no longer do for health reasons. The same recipe with gin is called a Tom Collins.
Tom Collins - it's something from Clifford Simak books, lol :)
Yes, girls usually like vodka with any juice - expecially tomato or orange..
Recipe for a true alcoholic - is vodka+beer (coctail Youth :)) or vodka+wine (a kiss of Aunt Clava, drink more legendar, than real.. I've drunk in only once in life ;)) Also, not long ago we created new variant of recipe - wine+cognac (a kiss of Associate Professor :)). Good drink, but really too hard for our not so young bodies, lol...

Forum List

Back