USMB Coffee Shop IV

Another day, another holler.. <giggle> The puppies are so cute when they're sleeping in piles. Miss Doggie has been let out and fed, so now I have to go to the store to get Ken a gallon of distilled water for his breathing equipment. The sun comes up later and later, so all the stores will be open. Hope everyone has a superb Thursday, Oct. 20,2022. :thup:
Poor little Miss Songie. They're complaining as only little puppies can, so she's torn between companionship with the other two family dogs and feeding the mob. They're a little bigger, a little hungrier, and she has lost half her weight just by feeding the little ungrateful twits who sound off every three seconds between the 9 of them to 1 mama dog who is still a puppy herself, just more grown up, that's all. To the store! *sigh* More milk, too.

Try "Resveratrol" supplements. The price is through the roof, but it heals like no other over time. Well, except for prayers
Resveratrol makes you sexy? :)

I only take 3 prescription meds but a lot of supplements: Centrum Silver for women over 50, extra Vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, Vitamin C. The multi vitamin/mineral is for general health, magnesium reduces likelihood of leg/foot cramps, and all the others are safeguards against COVID or other maladies. I do take Tylenol PM and melatonin to help me get a good night's sleep. Otherwise I try to deal with all physical issues with a healthy diet and natural foods.

My personal physician, who I adore, has okayed all that. She does discourage a lot of these over the counter meds/supplements that are not FDA approved because of the dubiousness of quality or effectiveness of ingredients, unknown quantities of each in the meds and such. She does tend to be over cautious about a lot of things so I don't know how much that factors into her opinion, but I do at least take her advice under advisement.

Oh and we eat lots of grapes and I include fresh or frozen blueberries in my diet every day so we're probably getting enough resveratrol. A least enough to help.

Last edited:

I only take 3 prescription meds but a lot of supplements: Centrum Silver for women over 50, extra Vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, Vitamin C. The multi vitamin/mineral is for general health, magnesium reduces likelihood of leg/foot cramps, and all the others are safeguards against COVID or other maladies. I do take Tylenol PM and melatonin to help me get a good night's sleep. Otherwise I try to deal with all physical issues with a healthy diet and natural foods.

My personal physician, who I adore, has okayed all that. She does discourage a lot of these over the counter meds/supplements that are not FDA approved because of the dubiousness of quality or effectiveness of ingredients, unknown quantities of each in the meds and such. She does tend to be over cautious about a lot of things so I don't know how much that factors into her opinion, but I do at least take her advice under advisement.

Oh and we eat lots of grapes and I include fresh or frozen blueberries in my diet every day so we're probably getting enough resveratrol. A least enough to help.
You have an excellent diet, Foxfyre. The reason I mentioned resveratrol is because while you are covering a lot of the foods that contain resveratrol, is because it is a known to extend life to maintain health in people over 80. I want to know that America will be in good hands from a front row seat, and for a long time from now, so I take supplements on a regular basis on days I don't eat or drink enough nuts, berries, or grapes, which have gotten a little more expensive than before the recession began. It's my insurance policy on actually seeing the future life of this country long after I should have died. And since my mother's mother lived to be 98, my goal is to equal her longetivity or make it to 120, which my professors said this generation could live longer than the standard 70 years old that was expected as a ceiling age for my mother's generation. Mom passed at age 47 likely due to 3 packs a day she claimed was her only pleasure a few months before she died. I was just hoping you and hombre both live a long, rewarding life. Web MD has a good rundown on the substance: Health Benefits of Resveratrol In my opinion, the world needs the wisdom and kindness of people like you and those who visit this thread frequently, for an extra long time, Foxfyre.

With the price of good breads going through the roof (not the cheap white breads), I'm considering getting a fully automatic bread maker.
The two I'm considering are the Cuisinart compact (up to 2 lbs) or the Amazon's Basic equivalent both of which have excellent independent ratings. Of course the Amazon one is $61 cheaper. The biggest complaint with both is they tend to be noisy during the mixing/kneading process. I've listened on YouTube vids and they don't sound all that noisy to me.

With the price of good breads going through the roof (not the cheap white breads), I'm considering getting a fully automatic bread maker.
The two I'm considering are the Cuisinart compact (up to 2 lbs) or the Amazon's Basic equivalent both of which have excellent independent ratings. Of course the Amazon one is $61 cheaper. The biggest complaint with both is they tend to be noisy during the mixing/kneading process. I've listened on YouTube vids and they don't sound all that noisy to me.
If you add a cup of Roman Meal, a couple of tablespoons of honey, half and half cream/milk, and some real butter to your favorite bread recipe, your oven and a couple of bread loaf pans is all you'd need. Ok, and a couple of Cotton muslin towels to wet down and cover the rising dough would help... and a teaspoon of cardamom makes a really happy loaf of bread for adults and growing children. I raised my kids on that kind of bread after taking a bread baking class at a community college 44 years ago. Chris Hulshof furnished her own book as a gift for everyone in the class. I still have mine, though it sure was used a lot of years.

If you add a cup of Roman Meal, a couple of tablespoons of honey, half and half cream/milk, and some real butter to your favorite bread recipe, your oven and a couple of bread loaf pans is all you'd need. Ok, and a couple of Cotton muslin towels to wet down and cover the rising dough would help... and a teaspoon of cardamom makes a really happy loaf of bread for adults and growing children. I raised my kids on that kind of bread after taking a bread baking class at a community college 44 years ago. Chris Hulshof furnished her own book as a gift for everyone in the class. I still have mine, though it sure was used a lot of years.
I'm not a kneady person (pun intended) so if a machine does all that for me I'm happy......... :)

Even the cheap white and wheat bread at Albertsons, the loaves that used to sell for 85 cents, are now $1.09 or $1.19 and the slices are a bit smaller and the loaves shorter. And while the ingredients are preferable to some, it isn't among the heathier foods that we can eat. So I too am considering baking my own, especially to remove the sodium content that our son now requires after his heart issue--he and family are coming for Thanksgiving.

I don't mind kneading the bread--it is actually therapeutic and gives me some much needed exercise--but it is time consuming and sometimes I've wondering if it wouldn't be worth it to use a bread machine. Have never had one.

But I do enjoy our air fryer. Let me know how your bread machine works out if you do get one.

Last edited:
Even the cheap white and wheat bread at Albertsons, the loaves that used to sell for 85 cents, are now $1.09 or $1.19 and the slices are a bit smaller and the loaves shorter. And while the ingredients are preferable to some, it isn't among the heathier foods that we can eat. So I too am considering baking my own, especially to remove the sodium content that our son now requires after his heart issue--he and family are coming for Thanksgiving.

I don't mind kneading the bread--it is actually therapeutic and gives me some much needed exercise--but it is time consuming and sometimes I've wondering if it wouldn't be worth it to use a bread machine. Have never had one.

But I do enjoy our air fryer. Let me know how your bread machine works out if you do get one.
I learned a long time ago that I sucked at making bread, tried a few times and it never came out right.

Watched the cranes migrating to warmer climes today. A sign winter is approaching.

B9371B8A-B5DE-44B4-84EE-86658117CF81.jpeg

Watched the cranes migrating to warmer climes today. A sign winter is approaching.

View attachment 713956

Hey Mindful, so good to see you back in the Coffee Shop. Has been awhile. Your daughter is still on the vigil list. Is she fully recovered Now?

And yes, I've been hearing the geese and sandhill cranes fly over us, probably headed to the Bosque del Apache preserve about 90 miles south of us. 50,000 snow geese and 18,000 sandhill cranes alone winter there every year as well as many other species.

I didn't take these photos but it explains why photographers head there this time of year.
1666455565736.png
1666455684468.png

1666455783249.png

1666455885011.png

Last edited:
Hey Mindful, so good to see you back in the Coffee Shop. Has been awhile. Your daughter is still on the vigil list. Is she fully recovered how?

And yes, I've been hearing the geese and sandhill cranes fly over us, probably headed to the Bosque del Apache preserve about 90 miles south of us. 50,000 snow geese and 18,000 sandhill cranes alone winter there every year as well as many other species.

I didn't take these photos but it explains why photographers head there this time of year.
View attachment 713988 View attachment 713989
View attachment 713990
View attachment 713992

Daughter’s fine now. Gets regular checkups.

Lovely weather here in the Frankfurt area, and one would think there’s no tomorrow, with people feasting and drinking wine and champagne, myself included. As if there is no winter of discontent looming towards us. Although they’ve shut down some of the escalators in the dept stores. To conserve energy.

Don’t know how it is in the States. But l’ll find out next month.

Daughter’s fine now. Gets regular checkups.

Lovely weather here in the Frankfurt area, and one would think there’s no tomorrow, with people feasting and drinking wine and champagne, myself included. As if there is no winter of discontent looming towards us. Although they’ve shut down some of the escalators in the dept stores. To conserve energy.

Don’t know how it is in the States. But l’ll find out next month.
I think most people generally try to make the best of whatever situation exists unless it is immediately awful. Americans are no different and the restaurants here are also pretty full and life goes on even though we are having some energy issues in places and folks are struggling under crushing inflation. But free people always have hope that things will improve and meanwhile we might as well be happy.

I took handfuls of supplements every day when I was recovering from living in a UFFI house and having my immune system destroyed. Now that I'm as recovered as I'm ever going to be, I mostly eat clean (where possible) and healthy food, and get lots of exercise on my bike, but take no supplements. I take Claratin for my allergies, and that's it.

The skating season started yesterday with Skate America, which is being held in Norwood, Maine. As the first event of the season, many of the programs are "not ready for prime time". Last night was a splat fest. This is not unusual for Skate America. Skate Canada is next weekend will be a little less so - I hope.

I'm staying at my friend's condo, and he's off work next week for "Fall Reading Week". The means I have rides to and from the venue, which is just off the 401 expressway in Mississauga, but a long way from public transit. I got my covid boost on Thursday, printed my tickets on Friday, have a hair appointment for this coming Wednesday, and I'm now planning my wardrobe.

I intend to hit my garment district suppliers while I'm there, and maybe a trip to St. Lawrence Market, so I'm going early Thursday to give me the time. The Market is closed Sunday and Monday, so Thursday is my only opportunity to go.

Here's hoping GO (Government of Ontario) Transit doesn't go on strike before November 3rd. That's my ride to and from Toronto.

I took handfuls of supplements every day when I was recovering from living in a UFFI house and having my immune system destroyed. Now that I'm as recovered as I'm ever going to be, I mostly eat clean (where possible) and healthy food, and get lots of exercise on my bike, but take no supplements. I take Claratin for my allergies, and that's it.

The skating season started yesterday with Skate America, which is being held in Norwood, Maine. As the first event of the season, many of the programs are "not ready for prime time". Last night was a splat fest. This is not unusual for Skate America. Skate Canada is next weekend will be a little less so - I hope.

I'm staying at my friend's condo, and he's off work next week for "Fall Reading Week". The means I have rides to and from the venue, which is just off the 401 expressway in Mississauga, but a long way from public transit. I got my covid boost on Thursday, printed my tickets on Friday, have a hair appointment for this coming Wednesday, and I'm now planning my wardrobe.

I intend to hit my garment district suppliers while I'm there, and maybe a trip to St. Lawrence Market, so I'm going early Thursday to give me the time. The Market is closed Sunday and Monday, so Thursday is my only opportunity to go.

Here's hoping GO (Government of Ontario) Transit doesn't go on strike before November 3rd. That's my ride to and from Toronto.
I had a vitamin D deficiency that a healthy diet and even spending more time in the sun wasn't helping. The vitamin D supplements have corrected that. There is a lot of data out there, and my local health care experts that I know agree with it, a large number of COVID patients are Vitamin D deficient. Also other cases of pneumonia, upper respiratory tract infections, blood clots etc. seem to be much higher in those with Vitamin D deficiencies. All this convinces me Vitamin D is pretty important. I know if I don't take the magnesium I have a lot more problem with night cramps and I figure extra Vitamin C and zinc etc. can't hurt.

But those getting great blood tests without the supplements of course don't need them.

Forum List

Back