USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm just basically lazy when it comes to food prep......... I love pistachios but I'm not peeling those damned shells off.........
Albertsons usually has some shelled pistachios if you look around. At our store their usually at the edge or near the bakery department.

I get the big bags at Costco....Mix in crasins for a nice sweet-n-salty snack.
Yes but you guys, especially you younger guys, have great metabolism. If I ate much of that combination I would put on a pound or two every time I indulged. (I do love pistachios and do love raisins and crasins but I have to strictly limit my intact.)

.. if I was somebody else, I'd envy me today..

90 degrees, sun shining, a cool breeze and finally the peaches are perfectly ripe..

So .. I pick one and bite into it .. ahh naturaaaal and Wow.. life is great.. :)

.. if I was somebody else, I'd envy me today..

90 degrees, sun shining, a cool breeze and finally the peaches are perfectly ripe..

So .. I pick one and bite into it .. ahh naturaaaal and Wow.. life is great.. :)
We don't grow our own peaches but are loving the high 70's low 80's temperatures this week and the Texas peaches they are bringing in are huge, ripe, sweet, wonderful. And yes at times life is very good. :)

Yes but you guys, especially you younger guys, have great metabolism. If I ate much of that combination I would put on a pound or two every time I indulged. (I do love pistachios and do love raisins and crasins but I have to strictly limit my intact.)
My intake has limited itself over time. I fill up very quickly now, one not so big helping and I'm done, sometimes for 6+ hours. I think I mentioned this before but 1 maybe 1.5 slices of pizza and I'm stuffed. This is a guy who used to be able to eat half a large pizza in one sitting......., deep crust........, with extra cheese.........

My intake has limited itself over time. I fill up very quickly now, one not so big helping and I'm done, sometimes for 6+ hours. I think I mentioned this before but 1 maybe 1.5 slices of pizza and I'm stuffed. This is a guy who used to be able to eat half a large pizza in one sitting......., deep crust........, with extra cheese.........
Hombre still can. And usually gets away with it. :) Like you one or two pieces is all I want anymore. But I do like to munch especially when watching TV so popcorn popped on my stovetop is my guilty pleasure and I do try to limit the oil, salt and quantity of popcorn even then.

Hombre still can. And usually gets away with it. :) Like you one or two pieces is all I want anymore. But I do like to munch especially when watching TV so popcorn popped on my stovetop is my guilty pleasure and I do try to limit the oil, salt and quantity of popcorn even then.
Popcorn and potato chips are two things I rarely eat anymore. Heck I rarely eat anything potato anymore simply because of how I like them. Potatoes are nothing more than a conveyance for sodium and fats........ :cool:

Popcorn and potato chips are two things I rarely eat anymore. Heck I rarely eat anything potato anymore simply because of how I like them. Potatoes are nothing more than a conveyance for sodium and fats........ :cool:
I have to disagree with you there. Of course if you eat them fried or loaded baked potatoes with cheese and bacon then yeah, they're a bit extreme. But a baked potato with a little olive oil and seasonings or even a little butter or sour cream with seasonings is really good food.

And a sweet potato is classified by most as a super food:

As for the popcorn, it isn't anywhere close to potatoes, Irish or sweet, in nutrition but it is whole grain and does provide a number of nutrients and if I limit the oil and quantity is a far better choice for me than chips or ice cream or whatever else might be munched on instead. (Probably a handful of nuts would be a better choice but they don't last nearly as long as that bowl of popcorn.)

I have to disagree with you there. Of course if you eat them fried or loaded baked potatoes with cheese and bacon then yeah, they're a bit extreme. But a baked potato with a little olive oil and seasonings or even a little butter or sour cream with seasonings is really good food.

And a sweet potato is classified by most as a super food:

As for the popcorn, it isn't anywhere close to potatoes, Irish or sweet, in nutrition but it is whole grain and does provide a number of nutrients and if I limit the oil and quantity is a far better choice for me than chips or ice cream or whatever else might be munched on instead. (Probably a handful of nuts would be a better choice but they don't last nearly as long as that bowl of popcorn.)
Oh I know about the supposedly healthy ways to eat potatoes.......... Thanks, no thanks. As for sweet potatoes they're inedible without gobs of butter and scoops of brown sugar........... Maybe add a handful of pecan pieces.
Take eggs and tomatoes, great as ingredients but by themselves, no thanks. A carton of eggs will last me a couple of three months and the only tomatoes I have are a couple of cans, they get used maybe once in 4 months...........

Oh I know about the supposedly healthy ways to eat potatoes.......... Thanks, no thanks. As for sweet potatoes they're inedible without gobs of butter and scoops of brown sugar........... Maybe add a handful of pecan pieces.
Take eggs and tomatoes, great as ingredients but by themselves, no thanks. A carton of eggs will last me a couple of three months and the only tomatoes I have are a couple of cans, they get used maybe once in 4 months...........
We eat a lot of eggs fixed every which way--scrambled, hard boiled (usually for potato salad), poached on buttered toast, fried on occasion but less often these days, scrambled with green chilis for breakfast burritos, cooked into casseroles, etc. Low cal and nutritious protein.

We eat a lot of fresh tomatoes in salads and on sandwiches or sometimes we sometimes just quarter small romas, salt and pepper them, and add them to a side of olives, pickles, baby carrots, and maybe sliced cucumber or celery on our lunch tray. Not everybody's cup of tea though.

And yes, you have to appreciate Idaho or russet potatoes baked with a pat or two of butter, and whatever seasonings--salt and pepper is usually what we use--but that isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Also I cut them up as we would for fried potatoes, skins and all, toss the pieces with a little olive oil and salt, throw them in the air fryer for 10 minutes or so and we have wonderful air fried potatoes without all the extra fat and calories.

Sweet potatoes baked and halved with just a pat or two of butter and sprinkled with stevia instead of brown sugar are wonderful. But, if you don't like em, you don't like em. And I won't presume to tell folks they have to eat something they really don't like. :)

We eat a lot of eggs fixed every which way--scrambled, hard boiled (usually for potato salad), poached on buttered toast, fried on occasion but less often these days, scrambled with green chilis for breakfast burritos, cooked into casseroles, etc. Low cal and nutritious protein.

We eat a lot of fresh tomatoes in salads and on sandwiches or sometimes we sometimes just quarter small romas, salt and pepper them, and add them to a side of olives, pickles, baby carrots, and maybe sliced cucumber or celery on our lunch tray. Not everybody's cup of tea though.

And yes, you have to appreciate Idaho or russet potatoes baked with a pat or two of butter, and whatever seasonings--salt and pepper is usually what we use--but that isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Also I cut them up as we would for fried potatoes, skins and all, toss the pieces with a little olive oil and salt, throw them in the air fryer for 10 minutes or so and we have wonderful air fried potatoes without all the extra fat and calories.

Sweet potatoes baked and halved with just a pat or two of butter and sprinkled with stevia instead of brown sugar are wonderful. But, if you don't like em, you don't like em. And I won't presume to tell folks they have to eat something they really don't like. :)
Actually I am currently making a healthy potato meal, multiple meals........
A Potato, onion soup. :thup:

You could do worse. :)
I let it cool a bit, ran it through the blender and it's divided in 8 plastic containers. When they're done cooling into the freezer they go. I already had one serving, it was good.
Basically
12 cups water,
12 tsps Knorr chicken bouillon,
3 large carrots diced,
2 vadallia onions diced,
2.5 pounds peeled, quartered potatoes.

Add all together in a large stock pot and low simmer for a couple of hours. Use an immersion blender or let cool some and run it through a blender.
The carrots give it an almost pumpkin soup color.

I let it cool a bit, ran it through the blender and it's divided in 8 plastic containers. When they're done cooling into the freezer they go. I already had one serving, it was good.
Basically
12 cups water,
12 tsps Knorr chicken bouillon,
3 large carrots diced,
2 vadallia onions diced,
2.5 pounds peeled, quartered potatoes.

Add all together in a large stock pot and low simmer for a couple of hours. Use an immersion blender or let cool some and run it through a blender.
The carrots give it an almost pumpkin soup color.
Sounds good. I probably would have added some garlic and other seasonings but sometimes just salt (from the bouillon) is good too.

Good morning Coffee Shop IV peeps!

Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 9.34.59 AM.png

We have eggs for dinner once or twice a week. My fav is to make a big omelette - with each half being customized. Mr. boe's is cheddar, ham, onions and peppers. Mine is gruyere cheese and sauteed mushrooms. Most of the time we do soft scrambled eggs.

A friend gave us a big bag of sour green apples from his tree. So, now we are going to make pie and just eat pie for a couple of days. Well, maybe we'll do that. I think we need to work some bacon into that plan.

Forum List

Back