USMB Coffee Shop IV

Oh my goodness Lumpy I am so far from being a saint, If I was Catholic the Church would have to ordain a bunch more priests just to hear my confessions, LOL. I do like a challenge though and that's how I approach preparing meals for picky people and those with special needs. But my patience can wear thin too at times especially when others are acting like asses in my opinion. I would like to think I always do the right thing, but sometimes I don't. I would like to think I always strive for excellence but in fact I sometimes settle for good enough or 'oh well.' I would like to think I am competent in what I do and I am. . .until I screw up :)
Even saints have a not so saintly side Iā€™ve read. My wife is a disgruntled Catholic, no lack of faith but the changes arenā€™t to her liking. Me .. I was brought up quietly faithful, home schooled you might say.
I have a short fuse for unappreciative people but Iā€™m willing to jump through hoops for the wonderfully hearted ones. Iā€™m thinking we have that in common.
Btw. youā€™re like a favorite relative to me and I wouldnā€™t mind hearing about your un-saintly side, sounds like fun. šŸ˜‰

Last edited:
Even saints have a not so saintly side Iā€™ve read. My wife is a disgruntled Catholic, no lack of faith but the changes arenā€™t to her liking. Me .. I was brought up quietly faithful, home schooled you might say.
I have a short fuse for unappreciative people but Iā€™m willing to jump through hoops for the wonderfully hearted ones. Iā€™m thinking we have that in common. Btw. youā€™re like a favorite relative to me.. šŸ˜‰
Ditto my friend.

Good to read coffee shop stuff. This time an eye infection prompted me to go to the ER. We live in the country, and my almost year=old puppies and their mom are so affectionate they occasionally lick my face. That ended today. They'll catch on in a few days. I wasn't there long, but just long enough to get an antibiotic to deal with my eye and the skin area around it that is red-pink and wrinkled as all get out and feels like sandpaper. My son came in from Portugal a couple of days ago and left late this afternoon. I didn't do any work on charity quilts while he was here, but it was fun looking at the pictures on his phone of his place that overlooks Spain on the other side of the river that separates Spain and Portugal. He also has a view of the Atlantic. But best of all, I got to see my son for the first time in at least 7 years, at my late husband's funeral in our church. We went to Denny's after picking up my antibiotics to ger rid of the severe infection. What got my attention this morning was a sealed up left eye when I woke up, and thought, oh, no, there goes my art quilts for tots charity work. sigh
Hope everybody has a great weekend. I sent my son home with a new crocheted sturdy potholder made with popcorn stitches with two sides that gives a burnless feature when picking up by the handle an iron skillet. I keep about 10 of them around the kitchen, two by the store, two by the microwave, and the rest in the dish drying towels, some of which were hand embroidered in the early 70s when my late husband and I were newlyweds. I had crocheted a 4-ply cotton floor rug, and wondered what if I used the pattern with #10 lace cotton for a potholder. It took 17 rows per side in a hexagonal shape, and each row was a different earth color. The back Imade was solid brown. I restichedthe outside a couple of times through the years, and most recently added a couple of more rows to fit bigger hands. The experiment made them even less likely to yield a burn from hot iron skillets and dutch ovens. Trough the years, I made at least 30 potholders for family members, and today, my son got a brown and gold one to take back to his kitchen in Portugal, where he moved about 6 months ago. He's still an American citizen living in a foreign country, and he's still working free lance as a computer guru. He was saying the airline fees were awfully expensive, which means, that's probably the last time I'll get to see my son in this life. I love my little farmhouse, and I'm not ever going to travel outside of beautiful Texas except to visit my Quilt shop business in Wyoming when it's time to sell or close down. My helper is a wonderful person who had an eye for color, she loves the business, which makes barely enough to pay the salaries of her helpers, and has the same profit margin as when I ran the shop for 30 years, which amounts to next to nothing. At least it gives a small town 3 jobs for women, and they do a lot of charity quilts as I requested they do when they make samples. I made quilts constantly when no customers were around, and most of the quilts went to children who were handicapped at birth, and their mothers had to work, so they took their little ones to a city-wide child care facility that specialized in caring for children with handicaps whose mothers had to support them as single moms or dads. I felt honored to help the lady that started the handicapped child care center that started in our church nursery, but grew to the point where she petitioned for a government loan to build a facility especially for children with severe handicaps whose mothers couldn't find anyone willing to take them in for baby sitting. What a wonderful lady she was to undertake and fight for more space for her professional care of infants and small children whose moms were on hard times and had to work for a living.

Hope y'all have a great Sunday and a wonderful next week. It's so good to see those of you I don't get to see very often anymore. All the people in my family who died or moved far away, I don't get to see much of, so having my son here was truly happy for me. My brother's job transferred him to San Antonio earlier this year, and his wife is always busy with her special education teacher's job, Lucky for me I found the coffee shop that Foxfyre started, and people here feel like family. Well, I couldn't sleep because of a toothache, so when my eye infection clears up, I may have to visit a dentist to pull out the molar that has been hurting off and on for a week at least. Good'niters! :huddle:

Last edited:
Good to read coffee shop stuff. This time an eye infection prompted me to go to the ER. We live in the country, and my almost year=old puppies and their mom are so affectionate they occasionally lick my face. That ended today. They'll catch on in a few days. I wasn't there long, but just long enough to get an antibiotic to deal with my eye and the skin area around it that is red-pink and wrinkled as all get out and feels like sandpaper. My son came in from Portugal a couple of days ago and left late this afternoon. I didn't do any work on charity quilts while he was here, but it was fun looking at the pictures on his phone of his place that overlooks Spain on the other side of the river that separates Spain and Portugal. He also has a view of the Atlantic. But best of all, I got to see my son for the first time in at least 7 years, at my late husband's funeral in our church. We went to Denny's after picking up my antibiotics to ger rid of the severe infection. What got my attention this morning was a sealed up left eye when I woke up, and thought, oh, no, there goes my art quilts for tots charity work. sigh
Hope everybody has a great weekend. I sent my son home with a new crocheted sturdy potholder made with popcorn stitches with two sides that gives a burnless feature when picking up by the handle an iron skillet. I keep about 10 of them around the kitchen, two by the store, two by the microwave, and the rest in the dish drying towels, some of which were hand embroidered in the early 70s when my late husband and I were newlyweds. I had crocheted a 4-ply cotton floor rug, and wondered what if I used the pattern with #10 lace cotton for a potholder. It took 17 rows per side in a hexagonal shape, and each row was a different earth color. The back Imade was solid brown. I restichedthe outside a couple of times through the years, and most recently added a couple of more rows to fit bigger hands. The experiment made them even less likely to yield a burn from hot iron skillets and dutch ovens. Trough the years, I made at least 30 potholders for family members, and today, my son got a brown and gold one to take back to his kitchen in Portugal, where he moved about 6 months ago. He's still an American citizen living in a foreign country, and he's still working free lance as a computer guru. He was saying the airline fees were awfully expensive, which means, that's probably the last time I'll get to see my son in this life. I love my little farmhouse, and I'm not ever going to travel outside of beautiful Texas except to visit my Quilt shop business in Wyoming when it's time to sell or close down. My helper is a wonderful person who had an eye for color, she loves the business, which makes barely enough to pay the salaries of her helpers, and has the same profit margin as when I ran the shop for 30 years, which amounts to next to nothing. At least it gives a small town 3 jobs for women, and they do a lot of charity quilts as I requested they do when they make samples. I made quilts constantly when no customers were around, and most of the quilts went to children who were handicapped at birth, and their mothers had to work, so they took their little ones to a city-wide child care facility that specialized in caring for children with handicaps whose mothers had to support them as single moms or dads. I felt honored to help the lady that started the handicapped child care center that started in our church nursery, but grew to the point where she petitioned for a government loan to build a facility especially for children with severe handicaps whose mothers couldn't find anyone willing to take them in for baby sitting. What a wonderful lady she was to undertake and fight for more space for her professional care of infants and small children whose moms were on hard times and had to work for a living.

Hope y'all have a great Sunday and a wonderful next week. It's so good to see those of you I don't get to see very often anymore. All the people in my family who died or moved far away, I don't get to see much of, so having my son here was truly happy for me. My brother's job transferred him to San Antonio earlier this year, and his wife is always busy with her special education teacher's job, Lucky for me I found the coffee shop that Foxfyre started, and people here feel like family. Well, I couldn't sleep because of a toothache, so when my eye infection clears up, I may have to visit a dentist to pull out the molar that has been hurting off and on for a week at least. Good'niters! :huddle:
God bless you. :thup:

Okay, that board that temp banned me......... I just perma-banned them. In a friendly manner the other day told a guy he needed to relax. This morning it was deleted for "being insulting"............. I've read on many other gun boards just how anal retentive that board is and that's why they no longer post there. I've joined that club. I have never been on such a puckered butthole board in my entire life. Wow, just wow...........

Okay, that board that temp banned me......... I just perma-banned them. In a friendly manner the other day told a guy he needed to relax. This morning it was deleted for "being insulting"............. I've read on many other gun boards just how anal retentive that board is and that's why they no longer post there. I've joined that club. I have never been on such a puckered butthole board in my entire life. Wow, just wow...........
It happens and it is always disappointing but it is what it is i suppose. I had much the same experience on a message board that was designed for 'believing Christians.' I wasn't exactly banned there but I got a strong message that I was unwelcome. as a Christian or anybody else. One of only two sites I have ever participated that I got a warning. In both cases it was a mod who didn't share my political or Christian opinions.

Disappointing. But it is what it is.

I am glad you got to see your son if only for a short visit. It has been several years since we saw our daughter and she just lives in California. It's tough living away from all family. Glad your eye is clearing up and hope the tooth issue can be dealt with without too big a deal. The Coffee Shop indeed is a poor substitute for flesh and blood friends and family, but nevertheless it is a place to belong for those who understand it.

Last edited:

God Bless You! You are such a treasure.

I just finished making the dough (leaf lard and sweet butter) for the apple pie today. mr. boe and I are going to have apple pie for dinner and dessert tonight. This is my first big step to adhere to My Policy #38:

I bet your apple pie will be yummy. I was going to make some stewed apples for lunch today but ran out of time. So we settled for bar-b-qued beef, potato salad and cole slaw, all homemade. Ice cream cones for dessert.

Interesting thread you linked though. Why did it wind up in the Flame Zone or did you start it there? One of my personal policies is not to post there but I have noted a few good discussions there from time to time.

Sheesh.. another smoke filled day in the windy NW.. They expect this fire to last until the first snow storm.. šŸ˜Ÿ
Sure.. I like going all naturaal occasionally but a fire policy from the Stone Age šŸ¤Ŗ

I bet your apple pie will be yummy. I was going to make some stewed apples for lunch today but ran out of time. So we settled for bar-b-qued beef, potato salad and cole slaw, all homemade. Ice cream cones for dessert.

Interesting thread you linked though. Why did it wind up in the Flame Zone or did you start it there? One of my personal policies is not to post there but I have noted a few good discussions there from time to time.

I started My Policies thread 13 years ago! At some point, some loser starting flaming in it and it got moved. I still love that little thread, so don't really care where they file it. It has some posts from some sorely missed folks in it.

Okay, I just invented the "meat and cheese"....... Probably not but it's good.
It's my poor man's steak and cheese.
Basically replace the steak with finely diced bologna and salami and the suet with olive oil.
I use either mozzarella, provolone or pepperjack cheese. I toast the sliced bread under the broiler.

I did recently decide it had been a while since I saw my face, more than 20 years if I remember correctly..........
How did I get so old?

I have a short fuse for unappreciative people but Iā€™m willing to jump through hoops for the wonderfully hearted ones. Iā€™m thinking we have that in common.
Btw. youā€™re like a favorite relative to me and I wouldnā€™t mind hearing about your un-saintly side, sounds like fun. šŸ˜‰
I was raised Roman Catholic, other than a couple of brief visits in my late 30s I have not set foot in a Catholic church since I was 17 years old. I'm 69 now.

I was raised Roman Catholic, other than a couple of brief visits in my late 30s I have not set foot in a Catholic church since I was 17 years old. I'm 69 now.
But you probably remember some of that early RCC training and experience fondly. I left the church I grew up in too when I went to college though I have been heavily involved in church most of my life and have worked for Methodists, Baptists, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Roman Catholics and Episcopalians and worshipped with all. All have at least some fond memories as does my growing up years.

I have never been Roman Catholic but have a lot of fond memories of priests and nuns I have known and my years working in a Catholic Hospital were really wonderful. When my mother died, the tiny Methodist Church where we held her funeral service had very limited facilities. The much larger nearby Roman Catholic Church put on a wonderful dinner for the family and close friends after the service. It was such a generous gesture I will be ever grateful.

I am 100% ecumenical in my own faith and appreciate most of everybody I guess.

So i ran sound for 4 bands & played in one........anyone here know the dif betwixt a sound man and a toilet? ~S~
Hmmm. Okay sparky, I've though and thought and thought, and I'll have to say no. I haven't come up with a good answer. (And hoping it's appropriate for the Coffee Shop LOL :) )

I've never been in a band other than high school and college--concert, marching, pep band, special groups etc.

My son in addition to his full time engineering job runs a music school (piano, voice, guitar, violin) for kids. They have a minimum of 50-60 kids and a maximum of 100 kids depending on how many instructors are available--it's a part time job for everybody--and there is always a long waiting list. He also accompanies a great private singing group that was invited to perform at the Kennedy Center in NYC recently.

My daughter works full time for the DOD but has been in professional blues bands--she plays bass.

So what sort of band were you in? Work for?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back