USMB Coffee Shop IV

I have done that but many sites I use or go to for information require that I turn off any ad blockers. And I understand that sites providing information cannot do that for free and without advertising revenue or subscriptions would not be able to do it. Seeing ads is cheaper than subscriptions. :)
Any sites that require subscriptions other than Amazon (my only one) I ignore so I have no ads, no other subscriptions.

I just received an OG Member Badge........... I'm tryin' to figure out what the heck it is and I see: Member for 10 years........... OMG! Has it been that long??!! My how time flies. Time to pop open a soda and light up a ciga......... Oh wait, I quit smoking roughly three months ago....... The soda will have to do, maybe even a couple of Pecan Sandies. :5_1_12024:

Yeah most of us in the Coffee Shop got them I'm sure. After all the Coffee Shop was 13 years old in May and most of us predate that. From discussion with El Chorizo earlier, the OG stands for "old gangster.' I think I'll just think of it as "old guard' :)

Yeah most of us in the Coffee Shop got them I'm sure. After all the Coffee Shop was 13 years old in May and most of us predate that. From discussion with El Chorizo earlier, the OG stands for "old gangster.' I think I'll just think of it as "old guard' :)
Now that I look at my join date I've been here 14 years, guess I never really paid attention. :dunno:

Five Guys must be good, for it to have a prime location in the main shopping area of the German city l live in.
They are quite popular here in the USA but frankly not my cup of tea. I actually think Burger King as bad as it is has better flavor. But then I'm not much of a hamburger girl to begin with. Given a choice I'll choose a club sandwich or Reuben or BLT every time.

Five Guys must be good, for it to have a prime location in the main shopping area of the German city l live in.
Five Guys is actually more famous for their Boardwalk style fries (cooked in peanut oil). The proper way to eat them is with malted vinegar which is one of their condiments (not to be confused with condom mints........).

Five Guys is actually more famous for their Boardwalk style fries (cooked in peanut oil). The proper way to eat them is with malted vinegar which is one of their condiments (not to be confused with condom mints........).

Malt vinegar is part of my food culture. I drench my chips (fries) in it. And it’s a must for pickled onions.

Now that I look at my join date I've been here 14 years, guess I never really paid attention. :dunno:
I've been here since 2007 but at that time was active at two other sites more than USMG. But as those other sites became less and less hospitable, I found myself spending more time here. And eventually mostly here.

But as this site gets sometimes less hospitable and more. . .shall we say. . .less intelligent?. . .I sometimes have to walk away for awhile. But that's okay too.

The policy re new threads doesn't allow for different perspectives of a particular topic so it's really hard to get good discussions going sometimes. And I'm just not into the name calling and ugly characterizations in lieu of informed discussion. But the latter does happen every once in awhile. That and the Coffee Shop is what keeps me here. And interesting people who become friends of course.

Last edited:
I've been here since 2007 but at that time was active at two other sites more than USMG. But as those other sites became less and less hospitable, I found myself spending more time here. And eventually mostly here.

But as this site gets sometimes less hospitable and more. . .shall we say. . .less intelligent?. . .I sometimes have to walk away for awhile. But that's okay too.

The policy re new threads doesn't allow for different perspectives of a particular topic so it's really hard to get good discussions going sometimes. And I'm just not into the name calling and ugly characterizations in lieu of informed discussion. But the latter does happen every once in awhile. That and the Coffee Shop is what keeps me here. And interesting people who become friends of course.
The CS, you all and a few others are the only reason I keep coming back otherwise I'd have been gone years ago.

The CS, you all and a few others are the only reason I keep coming back otherwise I'd have been gone years ago.
I hear that. We do build some meaningful relationships here. They aren't like real life relationships but in some ways are almost as important. Sometimes we can be more candid here and vent or express our thoughts more easily in this format than we would be comfortable doing in real life company. And I have learned from all of you in the Coffee Shop and a few others who don't post here. For the most part I can ignore the trolls, idiots and other exercises in futility. :) (And every once in awhile those can give me opportunity to hone my debate skills, teach, and/or just vent. :) )

Malt vinegar is part of my food culture. I drench my chips (fries) in it. And it’s a must for pickled onions.
It’s a bumper crop of tomatoes this year which means a lot of chunked tomatoes and malt vinegar. I love pickled onions as well.

I hear that. We do build some meaningful relationships here. They aren't like real life relationships but in some ways are almost as important. Sometimes we can be more candid here and vent or express our thoughts more easily in this format than we would be comfortable doing in real life company. And I have learned from all of you in the Coffee Shop and a few others who don't post here. For the most part I can ignore the trolls, idiots and other exercises in futility. :) (And every once in awhile those can give me opportunity to hone my debate skills, teach, and/or just vent. :) )
I’m glad I don’t post all the ridiculous posts I’ve written in response to the madness that’s taken over the politically related forums, just the some is embarrassment enough…😬

I’m glad I don’t post all the ridiculous posts I’ve written in response to the madness that’s taken over the politically related forums, just the some is embarrassment enough…😬
LOL I can so relate. I have probably deleted instead of posting at least half the stuff I write. My rule of thumb is to not be personally insulting or go ad hominem on anybody no matter how obnoxious or insulting they get, but oh my that requires a LOT of tongue biting so to speak.

Oh well. Every now and then it is possible to have a reasoned discussion on a topic before the organized trolls come in to destroy it.

Some day when my ship now lost at sea comes in, I hope to develop a discussion forum in which the OP actually has the means to control the discussion and toss out the trolls. Would be an interesting experiment.

Last edited:
LOL I can so relate. I have probably deleted instead of posting at least half the stuff I write. My rule of thumb is to not be personally insulting or go ad hominem on anybody no matter how obnoxious or insulting they get, but oh way that requires a LOT of tongue biting so to speak.

Oh well. Every now and then it is possible to have a reasoned discussion on a topic before the organized trolls come in to destroy it.

Some day when my ship now lost at sea comes in, I hope to develop a discussion forum in which the OP actually has the means to control the discussion and toss out the trolls. Would be an interesting experiment.
I wonder if it’s possible to have a forum by invite only around here. Where ethics, mutual respect, fun and dinosaurs like me can roam .. 🦕 🦖

I wonder if it’s possible to have a forum by invite only around here. Where ethics, mutual respect, fun and dinosaurs like me can roam .. 🦕 🦖
That could definitely be a possibility for the forum I have in mind--I don't know if the technology is even available for it at this time. I wouldn't be interested in an invite only thread or chat room on most topics though as the result tends to be a bit one note, preaching to the choir and such that makes it boring for me really quickly.

There are some forums in which the initial registration and initial post have to be approved before you get in. That does weed out a few trolls but they do learn how to get around it.

I do believe the mods at most or all message boards can see the IP address of those registered at the site and that lets them eject anybody who was banned and came back in with a different user name etc. at least using the same device.

Not sure if these are good prices but Townsends (purveyor of 18th & 19th century goods and clothing) has 80/20 blend alpaca wool/acrylic blankets on sale for $80.75.
They're 66" x 96".

Alpaca Wool Blanket
The price looks great. Most alpaca blankets I believe retail for between $150 and $200 and up. I usually steer clear of wool however as I tend to be a bit allergic and it itches me. At least sheep wool does. Never tried alpaca :)

Forum List

Back