USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well bless you. Hombre seems to be able to drop 10 pounds just by thinking thin. He was string bean thin when I married him but his preferred diet is pretty awful and he did put on the pounds after he was 40. :) He will order chicken fried steak with sides of french fries and buttered corn when we go out while I have grilled salmon, broccoli, and a salad w/low calories dressing. I gain 2 pounds and he doesn't gain or loses 4.

So yeah it takes me awhile to lose 10 pounds but I have settled on what I hope is a permanent lifestyle that is pretty healthy except for those very occasional guilty pleasures. Without them though I would be deprived and not enjoy the good food as much.
I used to joke that I would gain weight just by smelling food......... :lol:

I used to joke that I would gain weight just by smelling food......... :lol:
Or breathing air. I sometimes think it isn't even a joke. :)

People who have great metabolisms and never have to worry about it really can't empathize. Can be pretty judgmental. At least we can say we can empathize. :)

People who have great metabolisms and never have to worry about it really can't empathize. Can be pretty judgmental. At least we can say we can empathize. :)
I'd walk into a craft bread maker store and without sampling a single thing would walk out five pounds heavier........ If they had butter out I'd be ten pounds heavier.

Oh yeah that was delicious!
Made a pork stir fry with General's Tso sauce, spicy but wonderful!
Stir fries are one of my semi-healthy dishes depending on how I make them. The type of sauce has a lot to do with it.

Oh yeah that was delicious!
Made a pork stir fry with General's Tso sauce, spicy but wonderful!
Stir fries are one of my semi-healthy dishes depending on how I make them. The type of sauce has a lot to do with it.
True. I use either what sweet and sour sauce or orange sauce Albertsons happens to be carrying on any given day--to make sweet and sour pork or chicken with stir fried onions, green bell peppers, pineapple over rice. Unfortunately we prefer the pork or chicken to be breaded and fried but am gradually switching to stir fried, baked, or grilled. We don't do the really spicy in Chinese food. Want our Mexican/New Mexican cuisine with a bit of a bite though.

True. I use either what sweet and sour sauce or orange sauce Albertsons happens to be carrying on any given day--to make sweet and sour pork or chicken with stir fried onions, green bell peppers, pineapple over rice. Unfortunately we prefer the pork or chicken to be breaded and fried but am gradually switching to stir fried, baked, or grilled. We don't do the really spicy in Chinese food. Want our Mexican/New Mexican cuisine with a bit of a bite though.
If you like spicy try General's Tso and Chinese sweet chili sauces. For something a little different go with Hosin (one of my favorites), fermented black bean sauce and oyster sauce.
I love my Tex-Mex with chipotle mostly but I often use habanero also. Ya know chipotle is actually jalapeno allowed to ripen then smoke dried and powdered.

If you like spicy try General's Tso and Chinese sweet chili sauces. For something a little different go with Hosin (one of my favorites), fermented black bean sauce and oyster sauce.
I love my Tex-Mex with chipotle mostly but I often use habanero also. Ya know chipotle is actually jalapeno allowed to ripen then smoke dried and powdered.
I didn't know that about chipotle. But I'll pass on the spicy Chinese unless very mild. I just don't tolerate the really hot stuff any more. I want full flavor but not a lot of heat. So we usually pass on the habanero unless just a touch in bar-b-que sauce.

This morning, I thought that it's time to deal out some laughter! Soooo, today's theme is about card games. Hope that will bring a smidgen or a lot of chuckles. So, heeeeeres Johnny! :D

• Card games can be so one-sided sometimes.
  • How is a miniature pony similar to a deck of cards? They’re both jokers.
  • What game did the scam artist always win at? Go phish.
  • I got something sticky on my playing cards. I’m having a hard time dealing with it.
  • What cards have the best dance moves? The King and Queen of clubs.
  • Why are snakes masters at card games? They don’t have any hands to lose.
  • Why did the pirates have a hard time playing cards? The captain kept standing on the deck.
  • I accidentally used my donor card instead of my credit card one time. It cost me an arm and a leg.
  • What do wolves and playing cards have in common? They arrive in packs.
  • How can you buy four suits for under $5? Buy a deck of cards.
  • Why did the tiger keep losing at cards? His opponent was a cheetah.
  • What makes a bull stop charging? Taking away its credit card.

It’s hard to understand when you don’t really gain weight regardless of diet. From my teens to around 40 I weighed about 135 lbs. I put on a little weight then, but I’ve been about 150 since. My diet has changed, but my weight doesn’t.

On the other hand, I have digestive issues (I think I probably have some form of colitis, but undiagnosed) and I tend to be a tense person. So there may be some negative things driving my positive weight.

It’s hard to understand when you don’t really gain weight regardless of diet. From my teens to around 40 I weighed about 135 lbs. I put on a little weight then, but I’ve been about 150 since. My diet has changed, but my weight doesn’t.

On the other hand, I have digestive issues (I think I probably have some form of colitis, but undiagnosed) and I tend to be a tense person. So there may be some negative things driving my positive weight.
Possibly but you also just may be one of those lucky people blessed with a dynamite metabolism. My Aunt Betty, age 97, for instance has never had a weight problem in her life. If she does gain a few pounds and feels her waist bands are getting a little tighter, she just skips dessert for a few days and the extra pounds are gone. Certainly those of us who gain weight easily also can have some other medical issues. We're all different. It is what it is I guess.

Last edited:
There was one high metabolism guy I knew that I did not envy, he had to eat up to 8 meals a day just to maintain his weight. He hated it. He envied us who could smell food and gain weight.
Moral of the story, be glad with what you're blessed with, it could be worse.

There was one high metabolism guy I knew that I did not envy, he had to eat up to 8 meals a day just to maintain his weight. He hated it. He envied us who could smell food and gain weight.
Moral of the story, be glad with what you're blessed with, it could be worse.
So true. Most of us would not trade our challenges and problems and/or blessings for those of the other guy.

And having to eat when somebody is not at all hungry and doesn't want the food every single day would not be a pleasant challenge to have.

We shouldn't let this anniversary go by unnoticed. So many Americans weren't born yet or were too young to remember or be fully aware of the significance of 9/11 twenty two years ago. But many of us remember the horror of that day with the same emotions as those who remember JFK getting shot or the bombing of Pearl Harbor. And we are reminded together that villains rise up in the world and eventually fade away into oblivion again. Some were friends before they were villains. Some will become friends or will become friends again.

1694452175307.png

The caption with this photo when I found it:
"The 9/11 Memorial "Tear Drop" sits directly across from NYC, in Bayonne New Jersey, just the other side of the Statue of Liberty, yet we hear nothing about it. This absolutely beautiful, 100 ft. tall monument was gifted to the people of the United States by the people of Russia in 2006, in memory of all those who lost their lives on that fateful day, September 11, 2001.
The breaking in the cracked facade forms the shape of the two towers. The giant suspended tear drop signifies the tears of the entire world that day."

Last edited:
Some months ago one of my lab tests showed slightly lowered thyroid function. My doctor was not at all concerned and said we would just keep an eye on it. Sure enough subsequent tests showed normal function and all has been well since.

But this morning I was reading something on the computer and an ad for low thyroid function popped up. I gave it one quick scroll to see what they were peddling, didn't see anything, so clicked it off and promptly forgot about it. . .until. . .

BAM! A texted ad popped up on my phone from a news service I subscribe to: "Lowered thyroid function? Do this."

We all know that wasn't pure coincidence. I really don't want to go completely incognito on the internet or my phone, but dang. It is creepy knowing that thousands, maybe millions, of 'eyes' are on us at all times.

Some months ago one of my lab tests showed slightly lowered thyroid function. My doctor was not at all concerned and said we would just keep an eye on it. Sure enough subsequent tests showed normal function and all has been well since.

But this morning I was reading something on the computer and an ad for low thyroid function popped up. I gave it one quick scroll to see what they were peddling, didn't see anything, so clicked it off and promptly forgot about it. . .until. . .

BAM! A texted ad popped up on my phone from a news service I subscribe to: "Lowered thyroid function? Do this."

We all know that wasn't pure coincidence. I really don't want to go completely incognito on the internet or my phone, but dang. It is creepy knowing that thousands, maybe millions, of 'eyes' are on us at all times.
If I did not solicit it I don't click on it. Might want to contact your doctor, someone in his/her office (or affiliated) could be selling personal patient medical information illegally. Granted that's worst case scenario. Don't accuse, present the evidence then ask.

If I did not solicit it I don't click on it. Might want to contact your doctor, someone in his/her office (or affiliated) could be selling personal patient medical information illegally. Granted that's worst case scenario. Don't accuse, present the evidence then ask.
No it happens with all ads. You dont' have to click on it. In this case I scrolled just a wee bit and then moved on. That was enough apparently to ping the internet triggers. Of course Google also has my cell phone number and email and I think those triggers cross all the lines there. But of course I use Google as my default browser and all our computers run on Microsoft Windows. My phone is a Samsung android but I do have Google on it.

I was telling this story on Facebook and our cousins in southeast Texas responded that they could just be discussing something and that something would pop up on the computer. They have Alexa. I think it listens too.

We have Norton and Lifelock protection on all computers and don't do any serious business on our phones--don't do any serious business anywhere on the internet other than with trusted SECURE websites. If the website isn't secure I don't use it for anything but searches.

Last edited:
No it happens with all ads. You dont' have to click on it. In this case I scrolled just a wee bit and then moved on. That was enough apparently to ping the internet triggers. Of course Google also has my cell phone number and email and I think those triggers cross all the lines there. But of course I use Google as my default browser and all our computers run on Microsoft Windows. My phone is a Samsung android but I do have Google on it.

I was telling this story on Facebook and our cousins in southeast Texas responded that they could just be discussing something and that something would pop up on the computer. They have Alexa. I think it listens too.

We have Norton and Lifelock protection on all computers and don't do any serious business on our phones--don't do any serious business anywhere on the internet other than with trusted SECURE websites. If the website isn't secure I don't use it for anything but searches.
I recently had this conversation with others about Google's advertising to them based on their searches. Google is my search engine and years ago I turned off ALL advertising from Google and affiliates. I get absolutely no advertising personal or otherwise. Ya have to be logged into your account to find those settings

Fox, I think you were correct about that Amazon Fire Tablet. I can't get that damned thing to do anything I want it to do, it's too Amazon centric. Time to sell it and put the money towards the best iPad I can get for under $150.

I recently had this conversation with others about Google's advertising to them based on their searches. Google is my search engine and years ago I turned off ALL advertising from Google and affiliates. I get absolutely no advertising personal or otherwise. Ya have to be logged into your account to find those settings
I have done that but many sites I use or go to for information require that I turn off any ad blockers. And I understand that sites providing information cannot do that for free and without advertising revenue or subscriptions would not be able to do it. Seeing ads is cheaper than subscriptions. :)

And every once in a blue moon I see an ad that does give me an idea of how to solve a problem. For instance the connector on the little pull up thing that works the sink stopper broke. It was going to be expensive to fix. But I saw this thing in a Facebook ad of a little gizmo you could drop into the sink and with a simple finger push plug the sink so you could fill the basin with water and another push to drain it. Went to Amazon, find just such a gizmo, ordered it and it works like a charm.

I don't order anything directly from those internet ads though. I don't trust those sites.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back