USMB Coffee Shop IV

hump+day.jpg

Lammas? :eusa_shifty:

Well almost...

For today's history lesson. . . .

On this day in history, August 13, 1942, Walt Disney's fifth full-length animated film, Bambi, was released to theaters. Producing some of Disney's most beloved and universally recognized characters, the movie was based on the book Bambi, A Life in the Woods by Austrian author Felix Alten. Bambi was a roe deer in the book, but that species is not in the U.S. so Disney transformed him into a white tailed deer more familiar to an American audience. Along with his father, the Great Prince of the forest, his unnamed mother, Thumper the rabbit, Flower the Skunk, the love of his life, Faline, the cast all became iconic figures. The film received three Academy Award nominations. It was added to the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress in 2008.

Bambi came to our town several years after it was released--sometime in the 1950's, but when I finally got to see it, it was one of two movies my parents had to drag me out of the theater after numerous showings. (The other was Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.)

bambi.jpg

Last edited:
So today I'll be going into a local radio station and recording an hour long guest DJ spot. I won it in an on air auction they hold each year for a charity they call "Walk With Grace." Local businesses and people donate things to be auctioned off on air and then all the proceeds go to cancer research, and since I've lost close family and relatives to cancer, I participate. Well the radio station itself auctions off two separate hour long guest DJ spots to the highest bidder. I don't know what the other person paid but I won my guest spot with a $400 bid. I don't get out much and don't do a lot of things for fun so I figured just go for it, bid high, and that did it. I got to pick 15 songs that I want to play, but they said they had to be 50's to 80's top 40. I was really disappointed with that and asked if I could pick something else but no. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to it, I think it's going to be a hoot. We'll tape the show today, and then it'll air on Saturday night of the 23rd. It could be heard streaming from their website... WRCO.

Very nice Double Oh. I say go sneak in something of your choice anyway. What are they gonna do -- fire you? :lol:
After all you paid them. Who's working for who? You can always deliver the Reagan line... :eusa_angel:

Yanno you could set up your own station... not that I'd know anything about that, just sayin' it can be done... so I've uh, read... :eusa_whistle:

I'm going off to town where the local animal shelter, which is a really good one and does great work, has a thrift store they run for extra income. It's done very well in its short time, already the biggest one in town, but they have this upright piano there from the 1940s that sounds like it hasn't been tuned since the Truman Administration. I must be the only guy in town who owns a piano tuning hammer (wrench) so I'm gonna go and get it more into range and sounding decent for them so maybe someone will actually consider buying it.

It's quite a unique instrument --- seven octaves. I've never seen a seven octave piano before this one -- normally they're eight octaves (plus three notes, 88 keys) or smaller electric pianos might be five octaves (61 keys). Never seen a seven.

Last edited:
Mustard's for all forms of sausage, not for steak or hamburger........ :eusa_whistle:
Ketchup on hamburgers with loads of onions, pickle, lettuce, cheese and mayo with 1/4 pound of crispy bacon......
No mayo or lettuce on hamburgers. Just raw onions, pickles, mustard, and relish. Catsup and cheese is optional. The hamburger buns need to be grilled also.

Wrong! Lettuce, Mayo and jalapeños.

No lettuce, tomato, cheese and mayo. Yummy!

I just saw 3 meteors. One was SOOO bright..it looked like a bluewhite fireball. The second one left a trail that was golden..the third was like a fart..very light and fast.

I made my wishes :)
I saw 4 in my last trip out 3 we pretty much average but 1 was brilliant red and left a trail as it crossed about 1/3 of the sky.
The moon made it impossible to see any but the bright ones.

Morning folks! Today is National Filet Mignon Day ... :thup:

National_Filet_Mignon_Day_8_13_14_TUC.jpg

Good way to celebrate would be to have a tenderloin steak cookout...
smiley_bbq.gif

Have a great day!

Food!!!

Ok, August 13th just became one of my very FAVORITE days!!!
No kidding! I don't think there is a meal that I like more than a filet mignon dinner ... well with perhaps one exception. My absolute favorite meal is everything that's in the refrigerator ... :D

Medium rare filet mignon with some fries or a baked potato, veggies on the side, and hot rolls would hit the spot. Nice Sam Adams beer to wash it down ... :thup:

Christmas dinner at my partner's house has become a tradition. We go out and get 4 whole fillet heads, that's 20 - 25 pounds of unsliced fillet mignon and 8 pounds of bacon.
4 pounds of bacon is fried up for breakfast and the fat is injected into the fillet heads which are then wrapped in the remaining bacon, wrapped in foil and put on the smoker with pecan chunks at about 175 degrees.
At about the 4 hour mark, they come out of the smoker and into the oven at 350 until they reach 120 degrees internal temperature. They come out and just sit there for 10 minutes while everyone salivates.
Absolutely amazing!

Thankfully, it's a once/year meal or we would all die from the cholesterol and be broke from spending $250 on meat for a meal.

Mustard's for all forms of sausage, not for steak or hamburger........ :eusa_whistle:
Ketchup on hamburgers with loads of onions, pickle, lettuce, cheese and mayo with 1/4 pound of crispy bacon......
No mayo or lettuce on hamburgers. Just raw onions, pickles, mustard, and relish. Catsup and cheese is optional. The hamburger buns need to be grilled also.

Always lettuce, tomato, never onion, thin thin coat of mayo, and of course a nice sharp cheese. Mustard not really, that's for fries and dogs and other things. Ketchup is for the trash can. :death:
Lettuce and tomatoes are two items that I don't like on my hamburger, as they tend to overpower the burger thus not getting the full flavor of the beef patty. Not to mention making the burger soggy. I don't order my burgers with lettuce and tomatoes, but if I get em' with lettuce and tomatoes, I'm not one to complain, I'll just remove em' and enjoy my burger...:)

Food!!!

No kidding! I don't think there is a meal that I like more than a filet mignon dinner ... well with perhaps one exception. My absolute favorite meal is everything that's in the refrigerator ... :D

Medium rare filet mignon with some fries or a baked potato, veggies on the side, and hot rolls would hit the spot. Nice Sam Adams beer to wash it down ... :thup:

Christmas dinner at my partner's house has become a tradition. We go out and get 4 whole fillet heads, that's 20 - 25 pounds of unsliced fillet mignon and 8 pounds of bacon.
4 pounds of bacon is fried up for breakfast and the fat is injected into the fillet heads which are then wrapped in the remaining bacon, wrapped in foil and put on the smoker with pecan chunks at about 175 degrees.
At about the 4 hour mark, they come out of the smoker and into the oven at 350 until they reach 120 degrees internal temperature. They come out and just sit there for 10 minutes while everyone salivates.
Absolutely amazing!

Thankfully, it's a once/year meal or we would all die from the cholesterol and be broke from spending $250 on meat for a meal.
20 - 25 pounds of unsliced filet mignon?!?!? Ahemmm ... cough ... cough ... er ... would you and your partner per chance have room next Christmas for another guest? ... :D

Always lettuce, tomato, never onion, thin thin coat of mayo, and of course a nice sharp cheese. Mustard not really, that's for fries and dogs and other things. Ketchup is for the trash can. :death:
Lettuce and tomatoes are two items that I don't like on my hamburger, as they tend to overpower the burger thus not getting the full flavor of the beef patty. Not to mention making the burger soggy. I don't order my burgers with lettuce and tomatoes, but if I get em' with lettuce and tomatoes, I'm not one to complain, I'll just remove em' and enjoy my burger...:)

I dont care for raw tomatoes at all...

tumblr_lptyhmhFE71qjcwuzo1_400.gif

So today I'll be going into a local radio station and recording an hour long guest DJ spot. I won it in an on air auction they hold each year for a charity they call "Walk With Grace." Local businesses and people donate things to be auctioned off on air and then all the proceeds go to cancer research, and since I've lost close family and relatives to cancer, I participate. Well the radio station itself auctions off two separate hour long guest DJ spots to the highest bidder. I don't know what the other person paid but I won my guest spot with a $400 bid. I don't get out much and don't do a lot of things for fun so I figured just go for it, bid high, and that did it. I got to pick 15 songs that I want to play, but they said they had to be 50's to 80's top 40. I was really disappointed with that and asked if I could pick something else but no. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to it, I think it's going to be a hoot. We'll tape the show today, and then it'll air on Saturday night of the 23rd. It could be heard streaming from their website... WRCO.
Congrats, 007! $400 is a small price to pay for getting the opportunity of a lifetime, hosting a radio show, plus the money's going for a good cause...:thup:

Good morning all. It doesn't seem possible that it is another Wednesday already. The days are just zooming by. I'm awaiting the arrival of the Comcast tech who hopefully will get our phones back up and running. And Hombre will do the medical taxi run with Uncle Ed today. Hope BBD has found some relief for his shoulder, that Mertex's dental adventure goes well, that Gracie and 007's Mom get good reports, and all are looking forward to a productive or at least a pleasant day.

Well... it's not good... got a call from my younger sister about 30 minutes ago and she said Ma has a perforated appendix, however the hell that happens, and her pulmonary embolism is back. She'll have to have surgery for the perforated appendix, but that's going to be very tricky being as she has a pulmonary embolism, so... it's bad... no matter how you look at it.

So, I think I'm going to call the radio station and postpone this DJ taping. I just don't feel all bubbly and cheerful right now, not with a mother laying gravely ill in the hospital.

Last edited:
Food!!!

I'll tell you what: instead of a baker, try couscous or rice with that steak and you will find it to be an AMAZING experience. Even better, a small bowl of strawberries while you are eating the steak, is an incredible experience for the palate. I had that combination in southern France about 3 years ago and it knocked me off my socks...
I tried rice and steak, and although it's good I need either a baked potato or fries with my steak. Guess I'm a meat n' potatoes guy. As for the couscous, I really enjoy it. In fact I have it on occasion when dining at a Middle Eastern or Persian restaurant. Goes great with grilled filet mignon on a stick (shish kebab), and with small fried garlic potatoes on the side ... :thup:

Good morning all. It doesn't seem possible that it is another Wednesday already. The days are just zooming by. I'm awaiting the arrival of the Comcast tech who hopefully will get our phones back up and running. And Hombre will do the medical taxi run with Uncle Ed today. Hope BBD has found some relief for his shoulder, that Mertex's dental adventure goes well, that Gracie and 007's Mom get good reports, and all are looking forward to a productive or at least a pleasant day.

Well... it's not good... got a call from my younger sister about 30 minutes ago and she said Ma has a perforated appendix, however the hell that happens, and her pulmonary embolism is back. She'll have to have surgery for the perforated appendix, but that's going to be very tricky being as she has a pulmonary embolism, so... it's bad... no matter how you look at it.

So, I think I'm going to call the radio station and postpone this DJ taping. I just don't feel all bubbly and cheerful right now, not with a mother laying gravely ill in the hospital.
I'm saddened to hear that, 007. Hope the surgery goes well, and your mom makes a speedy recovery. Prayers go out to you and your mom.

Forum List

Back