USMB Coffee Shop IV

Yes, though being a 'warm weather' snake, it is unlikely that the Mojave rattlers will migrate this far north. (Carlsbad is a 4-1/2 hour drive south of us.) I've never seen a live one--they do have a stuffed one in the exhibits in the Museum of Natural History here in Albuquerque. I have a really healthy respect for poisonous snakes and take all recommended precautions. There are some areas around here that are heavily populated with Diamondbacks. You just don't go walking in the tall grass without high top boots on.
I preferred to have a revolver with me when walking the desert.

Well that's all well and good and useful once you see the snake. Doesn't do you too much good though if you don't see the snake before it strikes. :)

There is a reason we all post here. My guess is, that reason is still valid for most and they will return soon. There seem to be new people joining the board, I have been greeting them and suggesting the Coffee Shop. It will work out, it is still very unique to message boards.

when you click on watched threads, there is a line of text that pops up under the words Unread Watched Threads. At the end of that line it says There may be more to view. That is clickable and will open a list of all your watched threads, no matter how long it's been since they have been posted in.

Yes, though being a 'warm weather' snake, it is unlikely that the Mojave rattlers will migrate this far north. (Carlsbad is a 4-1/2 hour drive south of us.) I've never seen a live one--they do have a stuffed one in the exhibits in the Museum of Natural History here in Albuquerque. I have a really healthy respect for poisonous snakes and take all recommended precautions. There are some areas around here that are heavily populated with Diamondbacks. You just don't go walking in the tall grass without high top boots on.
I preferred to have a revolver with me when walking the desert.

Well that's all well and good and useful once you see the snake. Doesn't do you too much good though if you don't see the snake before it strikes. :)

It's been a heavy year for snakes around here-- seen more this year than all the other years put together. On the other hand fleas and ticks have been pretty much nonexistent. Even with the cat running around all day I'm still looking for the first one of either.

It's been a heavy year for snakes around here-- seen more this year than all the other years put together. On the other hand fleas and ticks have been pretty much nonexistent. Even with the cat running around all day I'm still looking for the first one of either.

It's weird that you have me quoted there. :lol:

We don't have to worry about snakes, I've only seen a couple in the nearly 5 years we've lived here. Fleas and ticks, on the other hand......
After getting pills from the vet and paying someone to spray the house, the cat still has fleas. We just cannot get rid of them. :bang3:

Good morning everybody. And I hope EVERYBODY is still at least reading in now and then. :) It is a typical Monday at the Foxfyre residence--too many chores to do so heck, just ignore all of them for the time being.

I am in a dilemma actually. Our friend--the one whose mini dachshund we recently kept for a week--'thanked' us by giving us a complete house cleaning by her house cleaning service. This is a major gift folks because that outfit is expensive and I am feeling really uncomfortable accepting it--there is no way we can afford to reciprocate. But it would hurt her feelings to refuse it. So we did accept but ordered the service to do the bare minimum to charge her the absolute minimum. But still I am now needing to clean house to get ready for the house cleaners on Wednesday.

Have you ever been in that situation? Receiving a gift that you were uncomfortable accepting? How did you handle it?

From the background you gave here -- haven't you already prereciprocated by boarding the Dachsund? That's not cheap, keeping a dog not only secure but comfy while you go away.

It's weird that you have me quoted there. :lol:

We don't have to worry about snakes, I've only seen a couple in the nearly 5 years we've lived here. Fleas and ticks, on the other hand......
After getting pills from the vet and paying someone to spray the house, the cat still has fleas. We just cannot get rid of them. :bang3:

That is weird. I did quote you yesterday but have used multi-quote since then so it shouldn't have been in the site's clipboard.

I friggin' hate fleas. I'd rather have the snakes. Last summer the ticks were so numerous I the land got all jungly (wild trees and bushes sprouting). This year I've been walking all through it, clearing with scythes and chainsaws and haven't been hit once. I'm sure those polar vortices helped that happen, especially since we hadn't had a real winter in three years. Hoping it comes back this winter too.

We have a few snakes in city center, because of the general lack of feral cats as well as gardens and lightly wooded areas: much more up in the foothills. There seem to be races, kings, and blacks down here. Have not seen any kind of rattler.

Happy Monday Afternoon all !

seats-taken.jpg

It's a Monday in August and we still have yet to have a day in the 90's. It's an August during which we were required to fire up the lawn mower EVERY weekend rather than the usual August regimen of letting the heat burn out the lawn and wait until the balmier September to rejuvenate the grass. It's an August during which we have not had to drag out the hose to water the flowers every day as frequent rains take care of that task.

And now we're staring down the barrel at September. School starts tomorrow, the first high school football games start this Friday. And it's been cold and wet for the seasons ever since last October.

Tomatoes, usually omnipresent this time of year, still cling green to the vines. Corn has been good, but it came late this season too. By late August, kitchens are supposed to be messy with equipment to can the garden harvest. Boiling pots of water, an assembly line of jars, lids and rings should be splayed out on countertops. Mom's hairdo should have taken as much abuse from the heat and steam in the kitchen that it should look like a hair helmet by now. But all that has been postponed due to the abnormally cold summer weather.

Pop's birthday was September 21, the first day of Autumn, the sign of Virgo. He told me that it has been known to snow on his birthday. I have a feeling that, if it has ever happened, it has a better than average chance of happening this year.

Meanwhile, back at the Big House, Mom is enchanted by the landscaping I bought her for Christmas last year. She has four new red rose bushes that are festooned with blossoms, a lilac tree stretching six feet high with white blooms, a Japanese Maple that is beautiful in maroon foliage and a bed of black mulch to hide the weeds and dress everything up nicely. Tomorrow I have to pick her up at 8:00 for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I certainly hope they use two different devices!

Mom is no stranger to these procedures. Seventeen years ago next month she fell suddenly ill and close to death as her ascending colon burst. She was rushed to surgery where the better part of her bowels were removed. She laid in intensive care for weeks, a hospital room for more than a month and finally discharged fitted with a colostomy bag just before Thanksgiving 1997. The next March, she went back to the surgical theater to have her bowels reconnected and that bag finally removed.

Her health has not been effected by all that abdominal work, but her back and now her voice are wearing out. Her singing career in community choirs is at an end as her voice is ripening into that of a sweet little old lady. But she's out and at 'em every day. At age 80, she is as spry as any of her classmates from the ELHS class of '51.

I borrowed my brother's weed eater yesterday. It's a Black and Decker, just the brand I have, but it's 20 volts of lithium battery power compared the 14 volts of NiCad in my weed eater.

It ran great! It chewed up the grass growing over my sidewalk, trimmed everything in the front yard neatly and quickly, and then promptly ran out of juice. NiCad batteries tend to wear down gradually until you find yourself massaging the grass rather than cutting it. These Lithium batteries just stop! It took two batteries to complete the job.

When I was still in college, I thought maybe I should study English and become a Rock and Roll critic. But the absolute best line ever used in a criticism of an album had just been used and I knew I could never top it. A critic used just one word to rate what was at the time, a new album from the rock band "Styx". The review simply said "Sux". Apologies to any Styx fans, but word play is greater than album oriented rock from the mid 70's.

Now, I'm reviewing battery powered weed eaters. Sux, don't it?

I am 68 and I have never ever seen a snake in the wilds in Britain. I had a pet grass snake when I was a boy but it was vicious and it only ate baby frogs. I got it in the summer when there were baby frogs on the common so I caught them and fed them to my snake. That was until I heard them screaming when they were being swallowed. I decided to let the snake go on the common, and try and catch its own frogs.

Good morning everybody. And I hope EVERYBODY is still at least reading in now and then. :) It is a typical Monday at the Foxfyre residence--too many chores to do so heck, just ignore all of them for the time being.

I am in a dilemma actually. Our friend--the one whose mini dachshund we recently kept for a week--'thanked' us by giving us a complete house cleaning by her house cleaning service. This is a major gift folks because that outfit is expensive and I am feeling really uncomfortable accepting it--there is no way we can afford to reciprocate. But it would hurt her feelings to refuse it. So we did accept but ordered the service to do the bare minimum to charge her the absolute minimum. But still I am now needing to clean house to get ready for the house cleaners on Wednesday.

Have you ever been in that situation? Receiving a gift that you were uncomfortable accepting? How did you handle it?

From the background you gave here -- haven't you already prereciprocated by boarding the Dachsund? That's not cheap, keeping a dog not only secure but comfy while you go away.

I'm sure that was her thinking but dammit when I do a favor for somebody I do it as a favor because I want to do something nice for somebody. I don't do it in hopes that I will get paid for it.

Another cooler day than usual here in Oaklandtown...with my green tomatoes freezing on the vines.

:(

Part of the new software that I hate is the reduction in Zeit to be able to modify or delete postings. That just plain old sucks.

I accidentally posted something destined for a polling thread to another thread and discovered the error too late.

Merde! Kurve!!! Ben Zona! Bladya! Scheiße!

Forum List

Back