USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's a Monday in August and we still have yet to have a day in the 90's. It's an August during which we were required to fire up the lawn mower EVERY weekend rather than the usual August regimen of letting the heat burn out the lawn and wait until the balmier September to rejuvenate the grass. It's an August during which we have not had to drag out the hose to water the flowers every day as frequent rains take care of that task.

And now we're staring down the barrel at September. School starts tomorrow, the first high school football games start this Friday. And it's been cold and wet for the seasons ever since last October.

Tomatoes, usually omnipresent this time of year, still cling green to the vines. Corn has been good, but it came late this season too. By late August, kitchens are supposed to be messy with equipment to can the garden harvest. Boiling pots of water, an assembly line of jars, lids and rings should be splayed out on countertops. Mom's hairdo should have taken as much abuse from the heat and steam in the kitchen that it should look like a hair helmet by now. But all that has been postponed due to the abnormally cold summer weather.

Pop's birthday was September 21, the first day of Autumn, the sign of Virgo. He told me that it has been known to snow on his birthday. I have a feeling that, if it has ever happened, it has a better than average chance of happening this year.

Meanwhile, back at the Big House, Mom is enchanted by the landscaping I bought her for Christmas last year. She has four new red rose bushes that are festooned with blossoms, a lilac tree stretching six feet high with white blooms, a Japanese Maple that is beautiful in maroon foliage and a bed of black mulch to hide the weeds and dress everything up nicely. Tomorrow I have to pick her up at 8:00 for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I certainly hope they use two different devices!

Mom is no stranger to these procedures. Seventeen years ago next month she fell suddenly ill and close to death as her ascending colon burst. She was rushed to surgery where the better part of her bowels were removed. She laid in intensive care for weeks, a hospital room for more than a month and finally discharged fitted with a colostomy bag just before Thanksgiving 1997. The next March, she went back to the surgical theater to have her bowels reconnected and that bag finally removed.

Her health has not been effected by all that abdominal work, but her back and now her voice are wearing out. Her singing career in community choirs is at an end as her voice is ripening into that of a sweet little old lady. But she's out and at 'em every day. At age 80, she is as spry as any of her classmates from the ELHS class of '51.

This year I think I might have watered about 3 times in total. This week is supposed to be up into the 90's but everything is soaked. We have had rain almost every single week this entire summer and the temperatures have been mild. The humidity has been almost non existent too. But there has been a notable dearth of flowers. :eek:

I can feel the ragweed season already since my allergies are kicking in. Hoping for an early frost to kill them off since I really don't like the sneezing and stuffiness.

Deri,.........argh.........I have watered every day and I'm so glad that September is around the corner and maybe cooler weather so I don't have to watch my poor little plants get so stressed out with 95 and above degree weather every single day. We might get some rain Wednesday, but I'm not counting on it, seems like every time we're supposed to get rain something always happens to chase it away!

Looks like the rain was sidetracked to Nevada!

Black Rock City closed until midday Tuesday

Black Rock City closed until midday Tuesday

An unusual rainstorm that filled the Black Rock Desert with standing water prevented thousands of would-be Burners from entering Black Rock City on Monday, forcing them to turn around and wait for drier weather today.

Those showers on Monday turned the fine dirt on the playa into "mucky mud," Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Dan Lopez said. Event organizers and law enforcement feared the thousands of Burners coming to attend the week-long counter-culture festival outside of Gerlach would get stuck in the mud.

"With rain attached to it (playa dust), people get stuck everywhere," Lopez said.

Burning Man's official Twitter account first announced there were problems with the weather Monday morning, asking Burners to stay in Reno until further notice. By mid afternoon, organizers tweeted, "(Black Rock City) is closed until midday Tuesday due to rain and standing water. At the request of organizers, law enforcement is turning cars back."

Edan Weishahn, meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Reno, said no storms are expected Tuesday.

"(Tuesday) should be a much drier, sunnier day," she said Monday evening.

Some Burners drove to RV parks in the region while others found places to park in Gerlach, the small Nevada town just outside the Black Rock Desert.

Next year they are renaming it from Burning Man to Bring-an-Umbrella Man. :D

And now I wished I had not come home between projects. Sigh. My heart is heavy.

Was just on the phone with a relative of mine. Both she and her husband came down with the symptoms of shingles - which is essentially the chicken-pox strain that is left in the body after a childhood bout with the disease and usually stays dormant. They are both in severe pain. More I do not know. In my family, all the kids in our immediately family came down with chicken-pox at the same time.

Chicken-pox in German is: Windpocken
And Shingles is: Gürtelrosen (Gürtel means belt or belt-line, Rosen means Roses)

I researched: there is a shingles vaccine that has been out for a while, recommended for people once they are 50. I may get it, just to be safe.

The second piece of bad news is something I did not share a number of weeks ago: one of my nephews suffered a heart attack in July, very rare for people that young, but he had a drug-related history. He's about 30 years old. The doctors were unsure how much damage was done. Now he's back in the hospital and it looks bad. If he survives, it will be a miracle.

My heart is very heavy. And with two pieces of bad news, I hope that the adage that "bad news comes in 3s" is just an adage.

Was just on the phone with a relative of mine. Both she and her husband came down with the symptoms of shingles - which is essentially the chicken-pox strain that is left in the body after a childhood bout with the disease and usually stays dormant. They are both in severe pain. More I do not know. In my family, all the kids in our immediately family came down with chicken-pox at the same time.

And Shingles is: Gürtelrosen (Gürtel means belt or belt-line, Rosen means Roses)

I researched: there is a shingles vaccine that has been out for a while, recommended for people once they are 50. I may get it, just to be safe.

The second piece of bad news is something I did not share a number of weeks ago: one of my nephews suffered a heart attack in July, very rare for people that young, but he had a drug-related history. He's about 30 years old. The doctors were unsure how much damage was done. Now he's back in the hospital and it looks bad. If he survives, it will be a miracle.

My heart is very heavy. And with two pieces of bad news, I hope that the adage that "bad news comes in 3s" is just an adage.

Sorry to hear about these troubles, Stat. Shingles is serious for older people. Hopefully your nephew will use this as a "wake up" call and turn his life around.

Sorry to hear about these troubles, Stat. Shingles is serious for older people. Hopefully your nephew will use this as a "wake up" call and turn his life around.

Thanks.

Yes, though being a 'warm weather' snake, it is unlikely that the Mojave rattlers will migrate this far north. (Carlsbad is a 4-1/2 hour drive south of us.) I've never seen a live one--they do have a stuffed one in the exhibits in the Museum of Natural History here in Albuquerque. I have a really healthy respect for poisonous snakes and take all recommended precautions. There are some areas around here that are heavily populated with Diamondbacks. You just don't go walking in the tall grass without high top boots on.
I preferred to have a revolver with me when walking the desert.
That gets my vote. :lol:

Yes, though being a 'warm weather' snake, it is unlikely that the Mojave rattlers will migrate this far north. (Carlsbad is a 4-1/2 hour drive south of us.) I've never seen a live one--they do have a stuffed one in the exhibits in the Museum of Natural History here in Albuquerque. I have a really healthy respect for poisonous snakes and take all recommended precautions. There are some areas around here that are heavily populated with Diamondbacks. You just don't go walking in the tall grass without high top boots on.
Or through the Arizona dessert because of the tarantulas.

Foxy, I have been watching the TV series Breaking Bad. from the first season and I think much of it was filmed in Albuquerque. I always think of you when I read the credits. :)

Or through the Arizona dessert because of the tarantulas.Their bite is poisonous but usually has little effect on warmblooded animals Still...the SIZE. I know, for I stumbled upon an extended family of them while walking in the dessert. :eek:

Foxy, I have been watching the TV series Breaking Bad. from the first season and I think much of it was filmed in Albuquerque. I always think of you when I read the credits. :)

I have now seen all of 'breaking bad'. My sister gave me the entire six series of DVD's and I watched the last two series in two days because I wanted to know what happened. I highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen it.

I preferred to have a revolver with me when walking the desert.
That gets my vote. :lol:
Got me a hat band...

Back from the gym with esposa, pulled weights covered five miles walking and biking.

Everyone seems busy.

Shingles: if you are 50 or over, get the vaccination. Unless your doc says you are special. If under 50, ask doc.

Had a friend whose wife (c. 72 or 73), got in on her face and throat. Awful, simply awful. He got it, awful. They both died within six months. The last part of their life was absolutely miserable.

Talk to your doc about the vaccine.

Good morning everybody. Another morning I decided to stay in bed until I wanted to get up. Now finishing off the coffee and need to get some chores done before the 'gifted' housecleaning crew comes tomorrow. Was noting that so many of your are busy, busy, busy. Why does it always seem to be that way when summer is winding down? Hope Spoonie is having a great vacation though. He needed it.

Feeling bad for Mertex's continue drought--where in Texas are you again?--and knowing Peach's concern with the flash flood warnings. Usually when she gets them they get to our area within 24 hours or less so we're under a flash flood watch with a 70% chance for rain later today. That's as high as I've ever seen here. We probably won't get a drop :)

Sending Stat a Momma Fox ((hug)) for his ailing relatives. We have had his aunt on the vigil list for awhile and will put the others on too. Shingles has to be one of the most painful afflictions a person can get. There is a vaccine but it is only partially effective. Hombre had a very mild case a year or so ago--just a tiny string of five bumps on his rib cage--but that was miserable. Fortunately I knew immediately what it was, he got to the doctor within hours and treatment was started immediately so that it didn't spread and it was gone in a few days.

If you get a sudden patch of rash--usually starts as a string of red bumps--look at those closely. If you see what appears to be a blister on the bumps, you have shingles. Get to a doctor immediately so treatment can be started. Otherwise they can and will spread and can be unbearable.

Hope everyone is well. And remember....coffee is your friend. :)

c88c3afba71c4aefca1a871b52f24974.jpg

Good morning everybody. Another morning I decided to stay in bed until I wanted to get up. Now finishing off the coffee and need to get some chores done before the 'gifted' housecleaning crew comes tomorrow. Was noting that so many of your are busy, busy, busy. Why does it always seem to be that way when summer is winding down? Hope Spoonie is having a great vacation though. He needed it.

Feeling bad for Mertex's continue drought--where in Texas are you again?--and knowing Peach's concern with the flash flood warnings. Usually when she gets them they get to our area within 24 hours or less so we're under a flash flood watch with a 70% chance for rain later today. That's as high as I've ever seen here. We probably won't get a drop :)

Sending Stat a Momma Fox ((hug)) for his ailing relatives. We have had his aunt on the vigil list for awhile and will put the others on too. Shingles has to be one of the most painful afflictions a person can get. There is a vaccine but it is only partially effective. Hombre had a very mild case a year or so ago--just a tiny string of five bumps on his rib cage--but that was miserable. Fortunately I knew immediately what it was, he got to the doctor within hours and treatment was started immediately so that it didn't spread and it was gone in a few days.

If you get a sudden patch of rash--usually starts as a string of red bumps--look at those closely. If you see what appears to be a blister on the bumps, you have shingles. Get to a doctor immediately so treatment can be started. Otherwise they can and will spread and can be unbearable.

Hi Foxy, my aunt is halfway back to health and her mother just turned 100, up in New Hampshire.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Off to work.

I just got word that my aunt - my mother's older sister and the last survivor of that generation - fell and broke a hip the other day and went into hospital. The surgery was successful and she's doing OK but it looks like she will celebrate her 95th birthday this week there in the hospital. My cousin (her daughter) is standing by with her.

I just got word that my aunt - my mother's older sister and the last survivor of that generation - fell and broke a hip the other day and went into hospital. The surgery was successful and she's doing OK but it looks like she will celebrate her 95th birthday this week there in the hospital. My cousin (her daughter) is standing by with her.

So onto the list she goes too. There was a time not that long ago that such an injury spelled the last days for the very elderly. Not any more. One of our Senior Saints in his upper 90's broke a hip not all that long ago and he is back to church just walking with his cane as before.

Once you take out all the war stuff and political stuff, August continues as a slow news month.

So no history lesson as such for today, but there were a few events worth noting:

On this day in history, August 26. . .
in 1873 the first kindergarten in a public school opened in St. Louis, and

in 1955 was the first color telecast (NBC) of a tennis match (Davis Cup), and

of course we don't want to overlook that in. . . .
1973 the University of Texas (Arlington) was the first accredited school to offer belly dancing. (I'm wondering how that would look on your transcript? :))

Heck Mert--your avi is damn near naked already.

I cover up when I come in here, dude.....oops, I must have dropped my scarf, sorry......:confused-84:

ooopsie better bend over and get it !

That sounds like unadulterated lechery to me..............:eusa_naughty:

It's adulterated---trust me.

Oh no....I think it is pure and absolute......:eusa_shifty:

naa lots of sarcasm and humor mixed in. No worries.

I wonder if any guys are afflicted with this particular sensitivity? I know a lot of gals who are. I have been among them:

POTENTIAL DANGER OF HORSE HAIR ~ In a press release today, the National Institute of Health has announced the discovery of a potentially dangerous substance in the hair of horses. This substance, called "amo-bacter equuii..." has been linked with the following symptoms in female humans: *reluctance to cook *reluctance to perform housework *reluctance to wear anything but boots *reluctance to work except in support of a horse *physical craving for contact with horses (may be an addiction) Beware! if you come in contact with a female human affected by this substance be prepared to talk about horses for hours on end. This was a public service announcement ... Surgeon General's Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Forum List

Back