USMB Coffee Shop IV

For you Harley lovers I've been doing some research lately, my experience with Harleys is post 1980s.... nuff said......
Well suddenly I find Harley have become "tinker free" and, shock of all shocks, comparable in price to the other major bike manufacturers. So I'm looking a two models.
First is the Sportster Superlow.

The other is the Sportster 1200 Custom.

I went by the dealer and sat on both, I like the power of the 1200 but the Superlow fits me like a glove and even though it's technically a 900cc with today's modern powerplants it probably has the power of an old 1100cc.
Well, drawing from my knowledge as a Harley Tech, which did end in 2007, what I know about the difference between the 883cc and the 1200cc Harley Sportster, the 883 is detuned quite a bit from the 1200. The 1200 can run circles around the 883 like it's standing still. The 883 also has a lower geared transmission so the engine kind of screams along at simple highway speeds, while the 1200 is loafing. The 883 really is geared towards the beginner rider, and women. Both bikes are now fuel injected so they run excellent, and the fit and finish on new Harley's is second to none. Great bikes.

Good luck, and I hope I helped out.

The problem with the 1200 is it isn't very comfortable for me and with my knees the extra weight could be a challenge. Maybe a new Mustang seat and new knees would fix that. When I sat on the Superlow it was like it was made for me but again, doing open road running I'd prefer the 1200. Decisions, decisions.........

2 minutes of Congressman Ryans speech.... His wife waited in the Mayors car with the air on...She had some minor Labor pains this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, everyone. I've been up for a while Just roasted a sweet potato in aluminum foil for a whole hour, and it's pretty good for being only $0.60. Burlington WI has its Chocolatefest going on today, so I'm thinking of going to the fair. Do you guys have any fairs like this in your necks of the wood?
Chocolate fest in WI? Better than that, there's going to be a hamburger festival in WI on August 9th, 2014. Location is Seymour, WI...

Hamburger_Festival.jpg

Hamburger Festival - August 9th, 2014

Well, my teeth are finally out. I have a mouth full of stitches, the right side is very swollen and bruised, which is expected because a lot more work was needed on that side to get the teeth out.
The whole procedure took around half an hour but I was in recovery for three hours - a lot longer than normal. I was actually the very last patient to be taken out of recovery for the night.

I had some kind of seizure when I came out of the anesthetic, so had to stay back for closer observation. Doctor had to come and look at me as because the nurses had no idea what was wrong and as I couldn't speak, was unable to communicate with them to tell them what was wrong. I was aware of what was happening, I was basically having major, uncontrollable convulsions. My fingers and toes were curling, my back was aching off the bed, my head was shaking from side to side, and my teeth were gritting. Not from pain, though. Just...some weird (and scary) reaction. They actually though I had diabetes and tested my blood sugar, thinking I was in diabetic shock. Nothing wrong there though and the convulsions settled after about ten minutes, with a few minor ones for the next hour or so.

Had some pain in the right side, so the nurse - who is a friend of the family and actually stayed past his shift to care for me - got me some Fentanyl, but couldn't give me much as I had anesthetic through the IV. He gave me a very low amount and that sent me to sleep for another hour, so I couldn't be wheeled out until I was alert enough. It actually didn't work for me, though, so after about five minutes, being very vaguely aware and pointing to my right cheek, the surgeon came over and gave me more local anesthetic, which helped, and then I dropped off to sleep again.

Back home now, got some antibiotics, strong painkillers (which don't do much with pain, really) and antiseptic mouthwash.

Feeling better today than I expected, still going to be careful about whether I go to class or not. Will depend on what my body tells me. Tracy told me I shouldn't rush it, so I will take her advice. :)

As the day draws to a close on this Memorial Day, 2014; I cannot help but notice a national change of mood with regard to our service people. Not naming names or ideology, but it is a far cry from the days when our returning military were spat upon and called vile names for doing what their country asked of them.

Today, we see the attiude that even if you disagree with the policy and the war, the men and women who have VOLUNTEERED to serve their country in both peace and war, are being honored for their sacrifice. For make no mistake, they do not server for the fantastic paycheck, or the adoration of fans screaming in stadiums. They serve because they know that the blessing of being Born American has its price.

And that price is often steep in cost, and difficult to be born by those left behind.

So regardless of your ideology or personal beliefs, today we take a moment out to recognize selfless love. A depth of character and personal commitment that can only be looked upon with awe and inspiration. Today, we honor and recognize those who knew that what they served is worthy of their very life.

With that thought, I'll indulge in a little arrogance and offer up, TAPS...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xrlf3taEo"]"Taps" - YouTube[/ame]

Well, my teeth are finally out. I have a mouth full of stitches, the right side is very swollen and bruised, which is expected because a lot more work was needed on that side to get the teeth out.
The whole procedure took around half an hour but I was in recovery for three hours - a lot longer than normal. I was actually the very last patient to be taken out of recovery for the night.

I had some kind of seizure when I came out of the anesthetic, so had to stay back for closer observation. Doctor had to come and look at me as because the nurses had no idea what was wrong and as I couldn't speak, was unable to communicate with them to tell them what was wrong. I was aware of what was happening, I was basically having major, uncontrollable convulsions. My fingers and toes were curling, my back was aching off the bed, my head was shaking from side to side, and my teeth were gritting. Not from pain, though. Just...some weird (and scary) reaction. They actually though I had diabetes and tested my blood sugar, thinking I was in diabetic shock. Nothing wrong there though and the convulsions settled after about ten minutes, with a few minor ones for the next hour or so.

Had some pain in the right side, so the nurse - who is a friend of the family and actually stayed past his shift to care for me - got me some Fentanyl, but couldn't give me much as I had anesthetic through the IV. He gave me a very low amount and that sent me to sleep for another hour, so I couldn't be wheeled out until I was alert enough. It actually didn't work for me, though, so after about five minutes, being very vaguely aware and pointing to my right cheek, the surgeon came over and gave me more local anesthetic, which helped, and then I dropped off to sleep again.

Back home now, got some antibiotics, strong painkillers (which don't do much with pain, really) and antiseptic mouthwash.

Feeling better today than I expected, still going to be careful about whether I go to class or not. Will depend on what my body tells me. Tracy told me I shouldn't rush it, so I will take her advice. :)

Ooooh, you had a really rough time of it. :smiliehug: Definitely you'll need lots of rest and a bit more recovery time.

I hope the swelling diminishes and the pain stops soon.:smiliehug:

Good to see you're doing better. It's rare but some people experience epileptic and psychogenic non-epileptic seizures after anesthesia.
Just to be safe you might want to be tested for epilepsy if nothing more than to rule it out as a causative factor.

I spoke to the nurse who cared for him, he says it sometimes happens when you wake up because you are very sedated and your body reacts, trying to wake itself up quicker. Never happened with my last operation, though, so I am thinking that its the anesthetic itself. I'm advised to let the surgeon know what happened next time I need a procedure done, maybe a different anesthetic next time, I'm thinking.

Holy CRAP, Noomi. That's VERY dangerous. They say that one in every couple hundred thousand or so don't wake up from anesthesia. It's powerful stuff, but you better make note of WHAT they gave you and the REACTION you had to it, and have them put that in your permanent medical records.

I spoke to the nurse who cared for him, he says it sometimes happens when you wake up because you are very sedated and your body reacts, trying to wake itself up quicker. Never happened with my last operation, though, so I am thinking that its the anesthetic itself. I'm advised to let the surgeon know what happened next time I need a procedure done, maybe a different anesthetic next time, I'm thinking.

They think sevoflurane and etomidate are the culprits behind this phenomenon. If that's what they gave you then those need to be avoided.

Holy CRAP, Noomi. That's VERY dangerous. They say that one in every couple hundred thousand or so don't wake up from anesthesia. It's powerful stuff, but you better make note of WHAT they gave you and the REACTION you had to it, and have them put that in your permanent medical records.

I usually take ages to wake up from it. So its more potent for me than most, it would seem. It'll be going in my records so next time I will be given something different, and more post op care.

The hospital staff were awesome, as always. :)

I usually take ages to wake up from it. So its more potent for me than most, it would seem. It'll be going in my records so next time I will be given something different, and more post op care.

The hospital staff were awesome, as always. :)
Well thankfully you're alright.

Best not to rush it, Noomi. You don't want to tax your body....it's not like it will make a big difference if you miss a few days. It's best to get yourself back to normal and make sure you are ready for it.

Best not to rush it, Noomi. You don't want to tax your body....it's not like it will make a big difference if you miss a few days. It's best to get yourself back to normal and make sure you are ready for it.

Of course not. Rushing could set me back for longer, and I have no intention of doing that. :)

Forum List

Back