USMB Coffee Shop IV

Thank goodness for tomorrow. The weekend is winding down already and I don't feel as if I have had enough time away from work yet. How much better off would everyone be if we had 2 day work weeks and 5 day weekends? At least then we have enough time for all the chores and the festivals and the kids stuff and still be able to just relax with a good book too.

/puts away soap box

No more ranting at least for today. Have a nice evening folks. :)

I would happily settle for 4 10-hour work days with a 3 day weekend...but then again since I'm salaried, they know they'll often get 9-10 hours per day in a 5 day work week.:doubt: :D

I work 4/10 shifts, graves at that. I truly enjoy my job and find little to complain about because I have the shift I want. The work isn't difficult, although sometimes pretty dirty, and always noisy. Even when offered a full-time professorship at the university, I turned it down for my current full-time job.
Guess the point is, 4/10's are the best compromise for time allocation I have found. Some of my colleagues are working 12 hour shifts with their weeks split 3-4 and 4-3. Looks good on paper, but I'm not cut out for 12 hour shifts any more.

I had the honor of working with the Old Guard a bit when I was working with the Recruiting Support Command. Went on several photo shoots and wrote advertising copy for the Army using those photos. The Old Guard troops were always impressive, dedicated young men. The other group that was always impressive was the Golden Knights.

I think today I'm going to dig out a little grill I have in the shop that's still new in the box, hit the store and get a small bag of charcoal, and see if I can't burn a burger and a couple brats. Been awful busy the last couple of days so I'm going to just relax and enjoy the peace and quiet at my own home.

Sounds like a plan. My daughter insists that I have never taught her how to BBQ! :eek:

If that is true then I have failed to do my duty! :badgrin:

So I am going to have check the garage to see if I have any charcoal left over otherwise it will be a run down to the store for me too.

Wait, the art and arcane science of the BBQ must only be passed from one male to another. You would profane the BBQ by teaching a daughter?!:eek:

I think today I'm going to dig out a little grill I have in the shop that's still new in the box, hit the store and get a small bag of charcoal, and see if I can't burn a burger and a couple brats. Been awful busy the last couple of days so I'm going to just relax and enjoy the peace and quiet at my own home.

Sounds like a plan. My daughter insists that I have never taught her how to BBQ! :eek:

So I am going to have check the garage to see if I have any charcoal left over otherwise it will be a run down to the store for me too.

Wait, the art and arcane science of the BBQ must only be passed from one male to another. You would profane the BBQ by teaching a daughter?!:eek:

Her grandmother, my MIL, always preferred to stand around the BBQ drinking beer with the menfolk rather than sitting with the rest of the women so I suspect that it runs in the family. :D

Besides I have no other child to pass on my arcane fire making skills so I guess she is just going to have to make do. Yes, that includes the part about drinking beer too. If I am going to teach her it is going to be the right way or not at all. :badgrin:

We got a call from my son this evening. While visiting relatives in West Virginia, a 12-year-old member of the extended family was in some sort of ATV accident with another kid. The 12-year-old was hurt pretty bad, stitches and broken bones. The other kid died.

We won't have any more information before tomorrow.

I have no words....
I'm sorry to hear about the children, Grandma. Hopefully the injured child makes a quick recovery. My prayers are with you and your family members.

Her grandmother, my MIL, always preferred to stand around the BBQ drinking beer with the menfolk rather than sitting with the rest of the women so I suspect that it runs in the family. :D

Besides I have no other child to pass on my arcane fire making skills so I guess she is just going to have to make do. Yes, that includes the part about drinking beer too. If I am going to teach her it is going to be the right way or not at all. :badgrin:
MIL standing around the BBQ drinking beer?? Er ... is there any possibility that we could switch MILs?

MIL standing around the BBQ drinking beer?? Er ... is there any possibility that we could switch MILs?

I have the best MIL in the world. She likes nothing better than a good steak dinner on her birthday. Definitely one in a MILlion. :D

Thank goodness for tomorrow. The weekend is winding down already and I don't feel as if I have had enough time away from work yet. How much better off would everyone be if we had 2 day work weeks and 5 day weekends? At least then we have enough time for all the chores and the festivals and the kids stuff and still be able to just relax with a good book too.

/puts away soap box

No more ranting at least for today. Have a nice evening folks. :)

I would happily settle for 4 10-hour work days with a 3 day weekend...but then again since I'm salaried, they know they'll often get 9-10 hours per day in a 5 day work week.:doubt: :D

I know ppl who do that. Many of them say they are so worn, it takes one of those three days, to get out of bed as they feel so tired during that first day. They do feel great the following two. :thup:

I prefer working three 8 hour days and having 4 off. That one is perfect for me.
I know someone who works 3 days per week, 12 hours per day. He works Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It's a full time job. I don't mind the Friday, and Saturday, but I will not work on Sundays, three days or not.

memorial-day-wallpaper-300x187.jpg

Our ceremonies went off nearly perfect. Except for me tripping over the mic cord.....

Anyway Congressman Ryan kept his speech non political, Even if he did get a bit off topic for a few moments, he did it without notes....Impressive....

And his darling wife stayed in the mayors car with the air conditioner, she had a twinge of labor pains this morning and didn't want to take any chances.... I'll post photos later.... Oh and I was interviewed by another TV Station... Getting to be old hat.....

For you Harley lovers I've been doing some research lately, my experience with Harleys is post 1980s.... nuff said......
Well suddenly I find Harley have become "tinker free" and, shock of all shocks, comparable in price to the other major bike manufacturers. So I'm looking a two models.
First is the Sportster Superlow.

2014_harley_davidson_xl_883l_sportster_883_superlow_columbia_100157562272111952.jpg

The other is the Sportster 1200 Custom.

2014-Harley-Davidson-Sportster-1200-Custom-HD1-right-side.jpg

I went by the dealer and sat on both, I like the power of the 1200 but the Superlow fits me like a glove and even though it's technically a 900cc with today's modern powerplants it probably has the power of an old 1100cc.

I have the best MIL in the world. She likes nothing better than a good steak dinner on her birthday. Definitely one in a MILlion. :D

I beg to differ. I have the best MIL. She's in Germany. I'm in America. Seriously, she is a wonderful woman.

I beg to differ. I have the best MIL. She's in Germany. I'm in America. Seriously, she is a wonderful woman.

-- because she's got that Atlantic Ocean thing goin' on?

-- because she's got that Atlantic Ocean thing goin' on?

Zackly

Worked out well for me too for most of 8 years......Then she was remarried the same day our divorce was finalized....He was dumb enough to go back to Germany with her...She's on husband 4 or 5 now, I lost count....

Good morning, everyone. I've been up for a while Just roasted a sweet potato in aluminum foil for a whole hour, and it's pretty good for being only $0.60. Burlington WI has its Chocolatefest going on today, so I'm thinking of going to the fair. Do you guys have any fairs like this in your necks of the wood?

The Festival of Chocolate - January 18, 19 and 20, 2014 in Tampa, FL at MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry)

Tampa is about an hour south of me...a little closer in some neighboring towns we have a Strawberry Festival in March and a Blueberry Festival in April.

We have a Blues Festival, and a Moose-dropping Festival. Do those count? Not much to eat on offer, but the first is notorious for the participants' copious consumption of booze and pot.

"Moose-dropping Festival"... hmmm... I guess that doesn't sound any more strange than our "Morel Mushroom Festival."

Well I'm happy to report that the new little grill I unboxed and assembled worked PERFECT, and I'd be ashamed to admit how much I've eaten. So much for the diet today... back on it tomorrow.

Okay... I guess now's a good a' time as any...

My Dad's now ex-wife invited me and my grandmother to take a trip to Tallulah Gorge on Saturday, to see a family friend, and a Cherokee Tribal Elder. His name was Yellow Horse. In the proper honorific, I called him 'grandfather.' I had been looking for a way out of my anxiety, my fear... and lo and behold, I ran into him. At my age, he was angry, violent and bottled his emotions up just like me. He was always looking for a fight. But then he went to Canada to meet their tribal grandmothers. He came back a changed man.

Our interaction held a deep spiritual experience with me. He told me how I needed to let the past go and with it my anger and resentment to certain members of my family, and focus on the present. He prayed with me and told me that love was the cure for what all ails mankind. "Love is the lifeblood of peace" he said. "Live as if you won't be here tomorrow." He met many people in his life who said they wanted to let go of the past, insisting they would "try." He told me, "You can try all you want, but you'll spend the next 40 years of your life not doing. You have to really want to let it all go." So, that's what I did. The moment tumultuous things happen, they are in the past.

He introduced a simple philosophy to me: "Nothing's too hard, nothing's too difficult, it's that simple." He taught me that when my anxiety tries to take root, I say the word 'love' over and over and over and breathe deeply. He says that when I say 'I love you' to someone, that I really mean it. He told me not to be afraid to express my emotions, to let them flow freely, he also told me never to be afraid to say 'I love you, brother/sister.' He taught me never to be negative and pessimistic. To walk into a room with a smile and a positive attitude. He reintroduced the aspect of willpower and perseverance.

I've been on a spiritual journey of sorts the past couple of days, I delved into the roots of my people. And you know what, I have been granted a sense of clarity and peace I have not felt in nearly 10 years. I feel like I have been released from a prison, the burden of my anxiety has been lifted...

Last edited:
For you Harley lovers I've been doing some research lately, my experience with Harleys is post 1980s.... nuff said......
Well suddenly I find Harley have become "tinker free" and, shock of all shocks, comparable in price to the other major bike manufacturers. So I'm looking a two models.
First is the Sportster Superlow.

The other is the Sportster 1200 Custom.

I went by the dealer and sat on both, I like the power of the 1200 but the Superlow fits me like a glove and even though it's technically a 900cc with today's modern powerplants it probably has the power of an old 1100cc.
Well, drawing from my knowledge as a Harley Tech, which did end in 2007, what I know about the difference between the 883cc and the 1200cc Harley Sportster, the 883 is detuned quite a bit from the 1200. The 1200 can run circles around the 883 like it's standing still. The 883 also has a lower geared transmission so the engine kind of screams along at simple highway speeds, while the 1200 is loafing. The 883 really is geared towards the beginner rider, and women. Both bikes are now fuel injected so they run excellent, and the fit and finish on new Harley's is second to none. Great bikes.

Good luck, and I hope I helped out.

Last edited:
Okay... I guess now's a good a' time as any...

My Dad's now ex-wife invited me and my grandmother to take a trip to Tallulah Gorge on Saturday, to see a family friend, and a Cherokee Tribal Elder. His name was Yellow Horse. In the proper honorific, I called him 'grandfather.' I had been looking for a way out of my anxiety, my fear... and lo and behold, I ran into him. At my age, he was angry, violent and bottled his emotions up just like me. He was always looking for a fight. But then he went to Canada to meet their tribal grandmothers. He came back a changed man.

Our interaction held a deep spiritual experience with me. He told me how I needed to let the past go and with it my anger and resentment to certain members of my family, and focus on the present. He prayed with me and told me that love was the cure for what all ails mankind. "Love is the lifeblood of peace" he said. "Live as if you won't be here tomorrow." He met many people in his life who said they wanted to let go of the past, insisting they would "try." He told me, "You can try all you want, but you'll spend the next 40 years of your life not doing. You have to really want to let it all go." So, that's what I did. The moment tumultuous things happen, they are in the past.

He introduced a simple philosophy to me: "Nothing's too hard, nothing's too difficult, it's that simple." He taught me that when my anxiety tries to take root, I say the word 'love' over and over and over and breathe deeply. He says that when I say 'I love you' to someone, that I really mean it. He told me not to be afraid to express my emotions, to let them flow freely, he also told me never to be afraid to say 'I love you, brother/sister.' He taught me never to be negative and pessimistic. To walk into a room with a smile and a positive attitude. He reintroduced the aspect of willpower and perseverance.

I've been on a spiritual journey of sorts the past couple of days, I delved into the roots of my people. And you know what, I have been granted a sense of clarity and peace I have not felt in nearly 10 years. I feel like I have been released from a prison, the burden of my anxiety has been lifted...

That is a wonderful story TK. As another of your 'elders' I say listen to this wise person. And also know that there will be times when you will question your new clarity and your resolve will be tested. The old tapes of your anger and fears etc. don't ever completely go away and there will be certain triggers that will start them running. Expect it, know what they are, and do your best not to yield to the temptation to respond to them. Each time you are successful such episodes will become less intense, less frequent, and of shorter duration until they are very rare. What you are doing is to allow yourself permission to be happy. It is a good thing.

Julia Collins has now become a household word. She has won 16 straight games on Jeopardy and over $377k. You go girl......

1790140505171822-julia-collins-jeopardy-620xa.jpg

Forum List

Back